John Hurt is playing Abner Ravenwood?? how is that possible?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthmaul1
I saw on the official site that John Hurt is playing Abner Ravenwood?? how is that possible?

Marion said that he was dead in Raiders which took place in 1936(i think)
and now it's 1950, is he in a flashback? or perhapes Marion thought he was dead? Maybe the Russians took him to look for something?

PiruBlood
maybe it was a cover up because indy left marion

sithsaber408
I call BS.

I was just on the Official Site and there is no mention of John Hurt as Abner Ravenwood.

Link?

darthmaul1
Originally posted by sithsaber408
I call BS.

I was just on the Official Site and there is no mention of John Hurt as Abner Ravenwood.

Link?

It was on imdb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367882/

on the official site it says he's in it but nothing about his character

http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html

Whisper
Marion could have been calling Indy's bluff or maybe Abner went into hiding coz he knew the nazis were looking for his headpiece.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by darthmaul1
It was on imdb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367882/

on the official site it says he's in it but nothing about his character

http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html

Right, that's what I thought.

Well, you can take IMDB for what it's worth....crap. stick out tongue

As for officially, we don't know that yet.

But I like the idea. thumb up

History Buff
I would say its a red-herring perhaps. Lucas and Spielberg doing their best to keep the real plot secret.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by History Buff
I would say its a red-herring perhaps. Lucas and Spielberg doing their best to keep the real plot secret.

That would be good, I would still love to see Sean Connery do a cameo at the end. He should be able to come out of retirment for 10min work if that, (how long was he involed with Robin hood)

~LunaLoveG~
Originally posted by darthmaul1
I saw on the official site that John Hurt is playing Abner Ravenwood?? how is that possible?

Marion said that he was dead in Raiders which took place in 1936(i think)
and now it's 1950, is he in a flashback? or perhapes Marion thought he was dead? Maybe the Russians took him to look for something?

Yeah that made me go WTF for a moment. I thought Abner like died.

Ahnold
Hey guys. Been away for a couple of weeks on holiday to the US, so it's cool to be back here again ...

Whilst I realise that nothing is confirmed as of yet, I very much hope that this rumour about Abner is true. Since Connery has confirmed that he is not going to be in the film (at least officially - one lives in (far-fetched?) hope stick out tongue ...), I feel that Marion's father would fill that gap of the "benevolent father figure" quite nicely. According to the FAQ section of the IMDB "Indy IV" page, it says the following in reponse to the question "Isn't Abner Ravenwood Dead In "Raiders"?":

"Marion implied in Raiders that he was dead. Although if he is in this film, (nothing has been confirmed by any official source) the current rumors/theories are: (a) He'll appear in a past type prologue similar to The Last Crusade (b) He faked his death (c) He's been in hiding".

Sadako of Girth
Im with you on that, Ahnold and Whisper.

Hope thats the case.

exanda kane
I 'eard that the guy in The Last Crusade who gets the cross from a young Indy was named in the screenplay for said film as Abner. Anyone confirm that?

queeq
Never herad of it.

Ahnold
Hmmm ... this is interesting; IMDB are now claiming that Hurt is playing a character called "Professor Oxley". An alias for Abner Ravenwood, or did they have that information wrong all along? Oh well - only a few weeks 'till we find out either way big grin .

queeq
Nope. Cards came out with Hurt having that name. May still be an alias though, who knows. But Abner should be ancient by this time.

exanda kane
I found that information about the adventurer in the Last Crusade - now named Fedora (HarHar), he was first named Abner in the script for the Last Crusade. It was removed before the production was completed however, so it's merely trivia, but interesting nonetheless.

Stun
Certainly is. I remember seeing the name 'Fedora' on the credits of TLC the other night, thinking 'who the hell was that?' lol, i should of knownstick out tongue he reminds me slightly of Kurt Russell - then again so does Harrison. Are all 3 brothers by any chance? and Vic Armstrong the 4th? laughing out loud

exanda kane
I think the guy that plays Dave Holden in Blade Runner is a another dead cert sibling then - Kurt Russel? Come one! big grin - but then that guy did double as Deckard in the audition stage.

In Rainbows
He plays Harold (if I remember it right) Oxley. Some guy Indy went to university with. He's the one that went searching for the Skull before Indy did and then went missing.

WARNING. POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD. (but just a tiny one...)

The only reference to Abner is when the Commies threathen to kill Marion if Indy doesn't help them. Oxley's with them -gone a little gaga smile - and Indy needs him to tell him the way to El Dorado, because Ox has been there before. Indy then says to Oxley "Ox, they're gonna kill Abner's little girl if you don't help us." Or something like that. No Abner in the movie...

queeq
Abner died ages ago.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.