For Ferret Lovers...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BobbyD
http://www.miamiferret.org/shelters.htm

A little sad and moving. Heck, even some happy in there too!

Enjoy.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by BobbyD
http://www.miamiferret.org/shelters.htm

A little sad and moving. Heck, even some happy in there too!

Enjoy.
That sucked...

BobbyD

Punkyhermy
"twitchy little ferret, aren't you malfoy?"

Pandemoniac
Ferrets are pretty cool, but not exactly endangered victims of the bio-industry. It's not like they get methodically massacred to be your next mornings bread topping.
And crap, being portrayed as pityfull accompanied by a Avril song would even drive a T-rex to commit suicide.

BlaxicanHydra
I love Ferrets.. for dinner.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by BlaxicanHydra
I love Ferrets.. for dinner.
laughing out loud

BobbyD
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
Ferrets are pretty cool, but not exactly endangered victims of the bio-industry. It's not like they get methodically massacred to be your next mornings bread topping.
And crap, being portrayed as pityfull accompanied by a Avril song would even drive a T-rex to commit suicide.

laughing out loud

Alright, I'll give you that the Avril song was a bit overdone/sappy.

laughing

Naz
Weasels...oh boy...

Da Pittman
I miss my little guy he was the best cry

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i244/caslandr/Pittman_Kodo.jpg

Pandemoniac
Get a bunch of degu's next! F*ckin hilarious critters

JLred
i sometimes wish my cat could transform into a ferret...

Punkyhermy
eeeeveryting reminds me of potterrrr

BobbyD
Originally posted by Da Pittman
I miss my little guy.... cry

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i244/caslandr/Pittman_Kodo.jpg

As does he, you. big grin

Da Pittman
I love'em and was tripped out when I found out these cute little buggers hunt rabbits eek!

BobbyD
I love'em and was tripped out when I found out these cute little buggers hunt rabbits eek!

Sure, in the wild. But, not a domesticated one, right?

Pandemoniac
Yeah right. Ferrets are born predators, and less domesticated then cats or dogs, who do a lot of killing given the chance. It's just that ferrets don't get alot of opportunity to hunt their natural prey, but just let one of em loose in a petting zoo and see the blooded fur fly.

JLred
if i bought a ferret and let him wander my room at night...would he eat/claw my eyes out?

BobbyD
Originally posted by JLred
if i bought a ferret and let him wander my room at night...would he eat/claw my eyes out?

No. You'd be more inclined to roll over him is my guess.

Da Pittman
Yeah right. Ferrets are born predators, and less domesticated then cats or dogs, who do a lot of killing given the chance. It's just that ferrets don't get alot of opportunity to hunt their natural prey, but just let one of em loose in a petting zoo and see the blooded fur fly. pitt_victory

JLred
No. You'd be more inclined to roll over him is my guess.

well....i wonder what it would be doing...

BobbyD
...less domesticated then cats or dogs, who do a lot of killing given the chance.

Mostly False. ...more cases of rabies every year by cats and dogs. And ferrets do not maul people's legs, faces and arms off.

It's just that ferrets don't get alot of opportunity to hunt their natural prey

Likely very true.

BobbyD
well....i wonder what it would be doing...

They sleep close to 18-20 hours a day. However, I can't give you any advice here as I keep mine caged when they're not out playing.

JLred
They sleep close to 18-20 hours a day. However, I can't give you any advice here as I keep mine caged when they're not out playing.
i want one...

Da Pittman

JLred

Wild-Cherry
Awh...cute ferrets. I used to babysit my friends. smile

Thats a little sad though sad

Da Pittman
i feed my cat Meow Mix...i'd give him IAMS but he doesn't like being inside and he shares the food with them...i'd bust out the extra $20 on Iams if he was an indoor cat... It is not a good thing to let your cats outside especially if you are not current on their shots because of the diseases that they can pick up not to mention getting hit by cars or attacked by other animals.

The problem with feeding ferrets cat food is because ferrets are carnivores and need a high fat protein diet and low fiber which cat food is pretty much the opposite.

JLred
It is not a good thing to let your cats outside especially if you are not current on their shots because of the diseases that they can pick up not to mention getting hit by cars or attacked by other animals.

The problem with feeding ferrets cat food is because ferrets are carnivores and need a high fat protein diet and low fiber which cat food is pretty much the opposite.

he used to be indoors for the longest time and then my mom married my stepdad and he hates animals so he became outside and i was pissed but got ok with it...

he's not even my cat anymore..he jut comes to me so i can feed him...he's his own person...and we put an old sofa on the porch for him to sleep on it's funny....

when i risk picking him up and hugging him he puts his paw on my face and pushes me away...

Pandemoniac
Mostly False. ...more cases of rabies every year by cats and dogs. And ferrets do not maul people's legs, faces and arms off.

Cats and dogs are by far humans most popular predatory pets. No wonder they are involved in more biting accidents compared to ferrets.
Second, dogs and cats even as pets have a greater chance to be infected with rabies, and propose a greater risk to pass it on to humans.
Third, cats and dogs are remarkably larger and more powerful compared to ferrets, so when one decides to attack a human; it counts, while a ferret attack leaves less damage and doesn't end up in the papers that much, even if they're harder to handle.

whitewolfgurl
It is not a good thing to let your cats outside especially if you are not current on their shots because of the diseases that they can pick up not to mention getting hit by cars or attacked by other animals.

Our cats have always been outside and have done fine even with coyotes out here and cars. In fact she had a litter of kittens about 5 months ago and they are still wild but they make it outside just fine. No rabies or nothing. She even catches rabbits, squirrels and anything else she wants if shes still hungry after being feed. Cats are tough...much tougher than dogs I regret to say...my dog got killed by a coyote cry

Ferrets...I don't know if they could make it...I've never had one...

JLred
Originally posted by whitewolfgurl
Our cats have always been outside and have done fine even with coyotes out here and cars. In fact she had a litter of kittens about 5 months ago and they are still wild but they make it outside just fine. No rabies or nothing. She even catches rabbits, squirrels and anything else she wants if shes still hungry after being feed. Cats are tough...much tougher than dogs I regret to say...my dog got killed by a coyote cry

Ferrets...I don't know if they could make it...I've never had one...

my dog got some disease and we took him to the vet and bought some medicine and he still ended up dying of some thing called parvis or something...i spent the whole week disconnecting myself from it so i wouldn't cry when it happened...i felt like such a dick...

Da Pittman

JLred
my cat's name is Tarzan...he's the king of my yard...

Da Pittman
my dog got some disease and we took him to the vet and bought some medicine and he still ended up dying of some thing called parvis or something...i spent the whole week disconnecting myself from it so i wouldn't cry when it happened...i felt like such a dick... It is called Parvo, one major problem for dogs that are left outside and is VERY infectious. Dogs that get this are isolated so they can not effect other dogs. I'm sorry to hear about your loss

Parvo

JLred
It is called Parvo, one major problem for dogs that are left outside and is VERY infectious. Dogs that get this are isolated so they can not effect other dogs. I'm sorry to hear about your loss

Parvo
it's already been like 2 months so i tihnk my cat doesn't have it....but we buried him...will that have any effect?

his name was Kratos and he was the god of war...he was a mix between german shphard and something fluffy..he wasn't fancy but i loved him...

Da Pittman
it's already been like 2 months so i tihnk my cat doesn't have it....but we buried him...will that have any effect?

his name was Kratos and he was the god of war...he was a mix between german shphard and something fluffy..he wasn't fancy but i loved him... Parvo is not transmittable to cats; cats have many other things they can get from general contact such as feline AIDS.

JLred
Parvo is not transmittable to cats; cats have many other things they can get from general contact such as feline AIDS.

felin aids...he's been neutered but he can still get it right? kinda like human aids...

Da Pittman
felin aids...he's been neutered but he can still get it right? kinda like human aids... FIV is not the same as human AIDS as how it is transmitted.

" What is FIV and how is it transmitted?

FIV (Feline Immumodeficiency Virus) is a retrovirus in the same family as the human AIDS virus, with a few significant differences. It is estimated that in the United States, 2% of cats are infected with the FIV virus. Saliva to blood (biting) is generally accepted as the primary source of spreading the virus, and it is unlikely (but not impossible) that cats will spread FIV by drinking or eating out of the same food dish, or by mutual grooming. It is not surprising that outdoor cats are particularly susceptible to the virus, and the best way to prevent infection with FIV virus is to ensure that your cat stays indoors only, which eliminates the possibility of contact with FIV cats. Another, less common means of transmission is from the mother cat (Queen) to her kittens during gestation, during birth, or by nursing. There is comfort in the fact that not all FIV queens pass the virus on to their kittens. This phenomenon is not fully understood, but all kittens from FIV mothers should be tested for the FIV antibodies after six months."

http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/fiv_in_cats.htm

JLred
FIV is not the same as human AIDS as how it is transmitted.

" What is FIV and how is it transmitted?

FIV (Feline Immumodeficiency Virus) is a retrovirus in the same family as the human AIDS virus, with a few significant differences. It is estimated that in the United States, 2% of cats are infected with the FIV virus. Saliva to blood (biting) is generally accepted as the primary source of spreading the virus, and it is unlikely (but not impossible) that cats will spread FIV by drinking or eating out of the same food dish, or by mutual grooming. It is not surprising that outdoor cats are particularly susceptible to the virus, and the best way to prevent infection with FIV virus is to ensure that your cat stays indoors only, which eliminates the possibility of contact with FIV cats. Another, less common means of transmission is from the mother cat (Queen) to her kittens during gestation, during birth, or by nursing. There is comfort in the fact that not all FIV queens pass the virus on to their kittens. This phenomenon is not fully understood, but all kittens from FIV mothers should be tested for the FIV antibodies after six months."

http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/fiv_in_cats.htm

well i hate to say it but my cat well never be an indoors cat unless when i go to college and they allow pets..i'd take him to the vet and get his shots and everything....if i still can.....i seem like a bad owner...

Da Pittman

JLred
well i'm gonna go ***** at my dad to let him in.....seeya...

Da Pittman
well i'm gonna go ***** at my dad to let him in.....seeya... pitt_wave

BobbyD
Cats and dogs are by far humans most popular predatory pets. No wonder they are involved in more biting accidents compared to ferrets.
Second, dogs and cats even as pets have a greater chance to be infected with rabies, and propose a greater risk to pass it on to humans.
Third, cats and dogs are remarkably larger and more powerful compared to ferrets, so when one decides to attack a human; it counts, while a ferret attack leaves less damage and doesn't end up in the papers that much, even if they're harder to handle.

Correct. Yes. I just wanted to clarify because your previous post made it sound like they are some vicious, ravanous, saliva-dripping, mouth-frothing, carnivorous dinosaur. wink

smile

BobbyD
My newest adoption.....

Say hello to Sammy! big grin

Da Pittman
My newest adoption.....

Say hello to Sammy! big grin big grin That is the same name as my cat which loved playing with Kodo smile

BobbyD
big grin That is the same name as my cat which loved playing with Kodo smile

The irony. I was looking at a female feret named Kodo at the shelter.

Da Pittman
The irony. I was looking at a female feret named Kodo at the shelter. big grin Good name but you need Podo to go along with her wink I always wanted two ferrets named that but we got Kodo later in his life and never got a friend for him besides the cats.

BobbyD
big grin Good name but you need Podo to go along with her wink I always wanted two ferrets named that but we got Kodo later in his life and never got a friend for him besides the cats.

But Kodo and your cats were friends, right?

Da Pittman
But Kodo and your cats were friends, right? Kodo was pretty good with Sammy, and Colada got along with him OK, but Dallas our big cat didn't like him and we had to keep them apart.

BobbyD
Kodo was pretty good with Sammy, and Colada got along with him OK, but Dallas our big cat didn't like him and we had to keep them apart.

So he had friends! smile (minus Dallas stick out tongue ).

They just had to overcome their communication barrier.

laughing out loud

BobbyD
My poor Casey's health has taken another step for the worse. He is not in any pain, but his body is slowly failing him. It's so sad. sad

I'm going to miss him when him dearly when he leaves this world. cry

Da Pittman
My poor Casey's health has taken another step for the worse. He is not in any pain, but his body is slowly failing him. It's so sad. sad

I'm going to miss him when him dearly when he leaves this world. cry I'm sorry to hear about his health, what does he have? Kodo had all three of the most common ferret diseases.

BobbyD
I'm guessing that Kodo suffered from insulinoma then too?

Da Pittman
I'm guessing that Kodo suffered from insulinoma then too? Yes, he had insulinoma, adrenalin disease and the 3rd one that I can never remember. He had this for a long time for most of his life but lived years longer than anyone thought that he would. Some vets said that he only had a few months to live and he ended up living years longer, he was about 8 when he finally passed.

BobbyD
Yes, he had insulinoma, adrenalin disease and the 3rd one that I can never remember. He had this for a long time for most of his life but lived years longer than anyone thought that he would. Some vets said that he only had a few months to live and he ended up living years longer, he was about 8 when he finally passed.

Wow! What a tough litter critter that Kodo was. Now he is a name that all ferrets whisper when talking about legendary carpet sharks. big grin

When we first adopted Casey from our local shelter, we didn't know he had insulinoma. Neither could the shelter have suspected. He was only there for one day, and had not undergone a routine physical. Casey chose us, or rather my wife. He was terrified and so scared at being in this totally new world that he clung to her clothes in a death grip. Plus he got along with our other kids, Bear and Posh.

We suspect that he's had it for some time, and was the primary reason why he was dropped off there. Some people (in this world) I tell ya'. Our vet suspected that at the time of his adoption he was about 4 and 1/2 to 5 years of age.

My wife and I have figured that he's been having a better quality of life with us than with those who dropped him off there anyway, so it was a good thing for him that he was "discarded".

I just don't like seeing him deteriorating/wasting away. It's so sad when I think about it, and tears start welling up, even typing about this. He used to be so happy. Now all he does is sleep.

My wife and I figure the best thing we can do is make sure that he is not in pain in his last months, weeks, whatever it is he has left.

Da Pittman
As long as you control the diet and a good level of activity they can live long with it. In fact most ferrets have it; it is one of the most common illnesses that they get. Some suspect that it is because most are raised in farms and it is spread from generation to generation. Most ferrets sleep most of the day, something like 16 hours. It also helps to keep them or provide a dark place to sleep; keeping the lights on all the time some research says that this also contributes to some of their problems.

Besides with a name Casey (which is my name) will have to be a tuff bugger. wink

BobbyD
Thanks, Pittman er...um, Casey. Your words of encouragement are reassuring.

We do take good care of him. We are supplementing his meals with additonal nutritional items/foodstuffs recommended by our vet. I imagine that we're going to have to "up" his dosage of Pred also.

I just want his waking hours to be spent romping around and not laying down on the ground motionless, only to curl up in a ball and go to sleep again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.