Unfair or ok Hospital law?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ADarksideJedi
Thanks to a stupid Liberal president who I will not name at this moment.People who have family members in the hospital don't find out until a couple of days after they been there.
Why? sad I mean my husband to be's grandma been in the hospital since monday and they were not told till wednesday night!Would it you want to know the second a love one is in the hospital?So I ask you is this stupid law use to protect us or just to annoy us?jm

Kinneary
Patient privacy. Good law. But it should only be applied in instances where the patient is unable to advise that their loved ones should be notified. It shouldn't be a blanket "No one can find out."

Kelly_Bean
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Thanks to a stupid Liberal president who I will not name at this moment.People who have family members in the hospital don't find out until a couple of days after they been there.
Why? sad I mean my husband to be's grandma been in the hospital since monday and they were not told till wednesday night!Would it you want to know the second a love one is in the hospital?So I ask you is this stupid law use to protect us or just to annoy us?jm
What makes you think that's from a law? (Sorry if it is a law, I don't keep up with politics). If it is a law, I'm half and half on it. If it's a life and death situation, they need to be notified immediately, if it's minor and/or fixable ...then I can see the point.

Da Pittman

Bicnarok
how odd

dadudemon
It is called the Health Information Portabilty and Accountability Act (1996).

You have no right to ANYONE's health information unless they give their consent.

Naz
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi

If I were in the hospital, I would like the hospital to ask me (as long as I was competent at the moment) if I would like my family to know.

Schecter
i thought that immediate family (mom, dad, siblings, spouse, children) have the right to know regardless. i dont want any ******* who shares a gene or two to be able to access my records.

Kinneary
They can't. A husband can't even look at his wife's record without her consent. The only time that someone has access to your records is if they're your legal guardian.

~Flamboyant~
Liberal president?

Schecter
Originally posted by Kinneary
They can't. A husband can't even look at his wife's record without her consent. The only time that someone has access to your records is if they're your legal guardian.

what if your in a coma and cant consent?

JLred
I wouldn't want my family to come visit me and worry...i'd be pissed with all the apologies and stuff...if I was dying..then I'd want to die and leave them a note...i'm an ******* like that...wink

Kinneary
Originally posted by Schecter
Then your spouse, or if you don't have one, your next of kin, becomes your legal guardian.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Schecter
Conjecture: Then the person cannot say "no" or otherwise refuse and consent is implied (which is why people who are unconscious are considered willing).

debbiejo
Doctor/Patient Confidentiality. It's just part of your "Rights of Privacy."

botankus
Originally posted by FeceMan
people who are unconscious are considered willing).

One of the few things I remember from Kill Bill is that one guy trying to get with Uma Thurman while she was in somewhat of a comatose state.

Robtard
Originally posted by botankus
One of the few things I remember from Kill Bill is that one guy trying to get with Uma Thurman while she was in somewhat of a comatose state.

His name was Buck; he was there to fvck.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1845/buckkl4.jpg

dadudemon

Fishy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.