A Requiem for a Majority: The Republican Retirements

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Strangelove
As of this writing, 4 formerly high-up Republicans have declared their intention to resign either from the White House or Congress.

Karl "The Architect" or "Turd Blossom" Rove: Deputy Chief of Staff in the White House. Secured the election of George W. Bush as Governor of Texas and then twice as President of the United States. Will step down August 31st.

Rep. J. Dennis Hastert (R-IL): Former Speaker of the House of Representatives (the longest-serving Republican speaker in history). After the bombast of Newt Gingrich, was more quiet and let then-Majority Leader Tom DeLay do all the dirty work. Will not seek a 12th term.

Rep. Deborah Pryce (R-OH): Former Chairwoman of the House Republican Conference ("Deputy Whip"wink. Had a tough re-election battle in 2006 and will not seek a 9th term.

Rep. Chip Pickering (R-MS): Decided not to seek a 6th term.

I say Good Riddance.

Discuss.

Schecter
probably to avoid congressional subpoenas roll eyes (sarcastic)

irredeemable scum.

chithappens
Other than Karl Rove I don't know much about the other people listed. I'm sure a few other people would give comments if they knew more.

Mind adding a little background so the topic will gain ground?

Strangelove
Dennis Hastert oversaw one of the most partisan Houses in history. When Hastert took over in 1999, he claimed to want to work toward partnership, but when he went to meet Minority Leader Dick Gephardt and saw a sign reading "Gephardt for Speaker", and Hastert walked off in a huff. Enter Tom DeLay.

And of course Rove. Reps. Pryce and Pickering aren't as important. The main point of this thread is to call attention to to White House and Congress retirements.

Rep. Ray LaHood (R-IL) is also retiring.

Fishy
Let them, this is as good a time as any to retire. I would do the same. After the next elections they will very likely lose most of their power and the entire country would likely be under democrat control. Right now that isn't entirely certain yet and they can still walk away with their head held high and say they served their country long enough and now just want some peace and quiet. It's better for them politically speaking to leave when they haven't lost yet then leave after losing.

Devil King
I just assumed Rove was leaving because he has to start getting his shit together to help the next republican candidate for president, whoever that will be.

Well, that and to save his own ass.

Schecter
alberto gonzalez has just submitted his resignation.

Robtard
though cliche, 'rats fleeing a sinking ship'?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard

Soon the Democrats will have no one to blame.

Reverend Axel
Because all the problems will be gone.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Reverend Axel
Because all the problems will be gone.

hysterical

NOT.

Fishy

In this case it's the ship dumping the rats... Gonzalez was in enough problems already... No way he can rebuild a political career just by leaving the Bush camp...

Strangelove
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Soon the Democrats will have no one to blame. Incorrect. Just because Alberto Gonzales resigned doesn't mean the problems he caused while Attorney General aren't attributable to him. Same with Karl Rove and Denny Hastert. Their problems are still their problems, they're jumping ship so they don't have to deal with them directly anymore.

Robtard
Originally posted by Strangelove
Incorrect. Just because Alberto Gonzales resigned doesn't mean the problems he caused while Attorney General aren't attributable to him. Same with Karl Rove and Denny Hastert. Their problems are still their problems, they're jumping ship so they don't have to deal with them directly anymore.

Say what you will; that is a fairly smart tactic, though cowardly and disgusting, it's still smart.

Strangelove
Say what you will; that is a fairly smart tactic, though cowardly and disgusting, it's still smart. It's neocon chic

Schecter
Incorrect. Just because Alberto Gonzales resigned doesn't mean the problems he caused while Attorney General aren't attributable to him.

sad that you have to explain this.

Shakyamunison
Incorrect. Just because Alberto Gonzales resigned doesn't mean the problems he caused while Attorney General aren't attributable to him. Same with Karl Rove and Denny Hastert. Their problems are still their problems, they're jumping ship so they don't have to deal with them directly anymore.

I was speaking generally to the post I quoted above. I was getting at the fact that Democrats are just as bad as Republicans because they are all politicians.

Strangelove
I was speaking generally to the post I quoted above. I was getting at the fact that Democrats are just as bad as Republicans because they are all politicians. Generalizations are rarely, if ever, a good thing. Are all politicians bad simply because of the fact that they are politicians? No. If a person you like and trust becomes a politician, does he/she immediately become bad in your eyes? I would hope not.

Shakyamunison
Generalizations are rarely, if ever, a good thing. Are all politicians bad simply because of the fact that they are politicians? No. If a person you like and trust becomes a politician, does he/she immediately become bad in your eyes? I would hope not.

There are some who are not bad, but they are both Democrats and Republicans. That is why I said: Democrats are just as bad as Republicans. They are also just as good.

Strangelove
There are some who are not bad, but they are both Democrats and Republicans. That is why I said: Democrats are just as bad as Republicans. They are also just as good. I understand where you're coming from, but I still think you're generalizing.

Shakyamunison
I understand where you're coming from, but I still think you're generalizing.

Of course I'm generalizing. Generalizations can be bad, but not always. It all depends on what you do with it. I just simple have a negative opinion about politicians because of the crap here in Oregon with the local government. I'm really not all the involved or knowledgeable about the federal government.

Strangelove
Of course I'm generalizing. Generalizations can be bad, but not always. It all depends on what you do with it. I just simple have a negative opinion about politicians because of the crap here in Oregon with the local government. I'm really not all the involved or knowledgeable about the federal government. I avoid generalizing at all costs, myself.

When you say "local", do you mean city level or the state? What do you think about the Speaker of the Oregon House running for the U.S. Senate?

Shakyamunison
I avoid generalizing at all costs, myself.

When you say "local", do you mean city level or the state? What do you think about the Speaker of the Oregon House running for the U.S. Senate?

So, as a general rule, you avoid all generalizations?

I don't know much about Jeff Merkley.

Strangelove
So, as a general rule, you avoid all generalizations?

I don't know much about Jeff Merkley. Nice try wink

I do my best to avoid them because I don't believe in lumping a group of people under one tent. "Democrats are just as bad as Republicans." No. Bad generalization. A) it assumes that all Republicans are bad and B) it assumes that Democrats are all the same.

Shakyamunison
Nice try wink

I do my best to avoid them because I don't believe in lumping a group of people under one tent. "Democrats are just as bad as Republicans." No. Bad generalization. A) it assumes that all Republicans are bad and B) it assumes that Democrats are all the same.

Nice try, but that is only your interpretation. The important part is "as bad". That means the "bad" of Democrats is equal to the "bad" of Republicans. It makes not commit about the good.

Schecter
wow, so...its like..."fallacies are ok when i commit them because i know what im doing...just trust me"

Strangelove
Rep. Rick Renzi (R-AZ) announced he will not seek a new term, resolving months of speculation after his home was raided by the FBI.

And of course, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales resigned yesterday. Good riddance.

Strangelove
I'm a little behind:

On August 31st, Sen. John Warner (R-VA) announced that he would not be seeking another term next year.

and on September 8th, Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE) announced that he is also retiring from politics.

And today, the 7th retirement from the House of Representatives: Jim Ramstad of Minnesota announced he will not seek re-election.

All are "golden" pickup opportunities for Democrats.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.