Is It Possible to Correctly Gauge the Spectre ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Goddess Kali
The Spectre from DC/Vertigo, seems to have some of the most impressive feats, yet some of the lowest and most embarassing showings as well.

When pitted against other characters from DC/Marvel/Image, is it possible to be consistant ? Or do we always gauge him at full potential automatically ?

Classic Spectre was defeated by the Spear of Destiny.

Hal Jordan Spectre was duped by the likes of Darksied and Stigmonus.

Spectre had also been defeated by the Anti Monitor, Mr. Myx, and Emporer Joker.

Not to mention total manipulation at the hands of Eclipso.

AS well as being beaten by Micheal, and dissed by Lucifer.

Yet at the same time, he has merged with all. He has survived the journey to and from the Source. He had destroyed the Lords of Chaos and Order, emilimating the Ninth Age of Magic, destroying the disembodied form of Nabu.

He is virtually immortal and nearly omnipotent.

So what's the deal ?

How can one properly gauge or pit Spectre against anyone ?

Some claim that Spectre would defeat Thanos with IG, rather easily, yet beings of far lesser power than the IG have gotten the better of Spectre.

So I don't get it...can someone explain this to me ?

Skeets
Yes...

First you gotta read the books,and then understand them...

Goddess Kali
Well, then again Spawn had both the most impressive feats (scarring Mammon, killing Malebolgia, recreating the Earth, defeating Zera, defeating Urizen, etc.) as well as the most embarrassing (defeat by gunshot to the head, being taken prisoner by the Curse, being defeated by the Ku Klux Klan, etc.).

However, Spawn had existed through different ages and power levels, through his personal evolution.

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by Skeets
Yes.
First you gotta read the books,and then understand them...

I do read the books. There are inconsistancies roll eyes (sarcastic)

Skeets
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
I do read the books. There are inconsistancies roll eyes (sarcastic)
Yeah,because Comics aren't all inconsistent...

His ups and downs in power level are due to retcons in his history and/or there's something wrong with him(host less).

Goddess Kali
Yeah,because Comics aren't all inconsistent...

His ups and downs in power level are due to retcons in his history and/or there's something wrong with him(host less).

So if we pit him against someone like Thanos w IG, how do we properly gauge Spectre, when his showings are inconsistant, and constantly retconned ?

Skeets
So if we pit him against someone like Thanos w IG, how do we properly gauge Spectre, when his showings are inconsistant, and constantly retconned ?
What are you talking about?
You sure you've read read his books and understood what was happening?
Spectre's History has only been retconned twice,iirc.
The last one being in V4 when Spectre became the Logoz.(which makes him more powerful,anyway).

Solidus Snake
spectre has unlimited "firepower" but he's not invulnerable. as sufficiently powerful magical force (or batkick) can wound him.

think of him as urself with unlimited power with your relatively limited intellect. thats why crafty wizrds, demons and gods can overpower him.

he is like a brute force. but crafty ppl can overcome the mind atatched to him.

darkseid intellect >>>>>>>> spectre intellect

i mean....women trick men half of the time so why cant gods and devils

Skeets
Originally posted by Solidus Snake
spectre has unlimited "firepower" but he's not invulnerable. as sufficiently powerful magical force (or batkick) can wound him.

think of him as urself with unlimited power with your relatively limited intellect. thats why crafty wizrds, demons and gods can overpower him.

What?Show me anyone "overpower" the Spectre.
Originally posted by Solidus Snake

Limited intellect? what?
When has Darkseid ever shown to have more intellect than the Spectre?

Eclipso was manipulating a host less Spectre who was vulnerable,nothing more...

Goddess Kali
What are you talking about?
You sure you've read read his books and understood what was happening?
Spectre's History has only been retconned twice,iirc.
The last one being in V4 when Spectre became the Logoz.(which makes him more powerful,anyway).

Spectre has had inconsistant showings. Sometimes he is virtually omnipotent, other times he is extremely physically/mentally vulnerable.

I already gave my examples:

Classic Spectre was defeated by the Spear of Destiny.

Hal Jordan Spectre was duped by the likes of Darksied and Stigmonus.

Spectre had also been defeated by the Anti Monitor, Mr. Myx, and Emporer Joker.

Not to mention total manipulation at the hands of Eclipso.

AS well as being beaten by Micheal, and dissed by Lucifer.

So..

In pitting Spectre against Thanos w IG, how do we properly gauge Spectre and assume that he cannot be defeated by Thanos w IG, when he was defeated/stomped by weaker characters ?

Please do not make me repeat my question.

Solidus Snake
What?Show me anyone "overpower" the Spectre.

Limited intellect? what?
When has Darkseid ever shown to have more intellect than the Spectre?

Eclipso was manipulating a host less Spectre who was vulnerable,nothing more...

1. when i said "overpower" i mean in terms of intellectwothy-manipulation as that is what the sentence was talking about

2. with a host, spectre is a human intellect with unlimited "firepower" and high durability.

darkseid is smarter than the average human no?

he gets glimpses of knowledge when heaven wants him to know something

Skeets
Spectre has had inconsistant showings. Sometimes he is virtually omnipotent, other times he is extremely physically/mentally vulnerable.

I already gave my examples:

So..

In pitting Spectre against Thanos w IG, how do we properly gauge Spectre and assume that he cannot be defeated by Thanos w IG, when he was defeated/stomped by weaker characters ?

Please do not make me repeat my question.
That's why I said
"First you gotta read the books,and then understand them.."

Cause with what you first posted it clearly shows that you didn't understand what had happened.

SpearofDestiny
Spectre is not invulnerable nor is he omniscient.

He's been hurt before, hell, he's been trashed by Micheal. He allowed Lucifer to disrespect him.

Spectre can be overpowered by a greater force.

tjcoady
the way I've always seen it with the Spectre is that he has exactly enough power to accomplish the task that Heaven wants him to. If the Presence was opposed to the action that the Spectre was attempting, the Spectre would be powerless to perform it. However, if the Presence is not specifically opposed, then he has what I guess would be his "standard" level of power, which is pretty insanely high. Finally, if it's an action the Presence specifically decrees, he can draw on any level of power in order to accomplish it. Thus, because the Presence did not specifically want him to destroy magic in Days of Vengeance, he was able to be harmed by the amped Captain Marvel. Further, it's the same reason why beings like Micheal and Lucifer can humble him- they are higher up in the Heavenly hierarchy, and thus, because of their precedence in terms of the wishes of the Presence, they are more powerful than him. I've always interpreted it literally when its mentioned that the Spectre is one of the "hands of god." his power level is dependent upon the wishes of his master.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.