Dr. Doom vs Thanos

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OnslaughtKILLS
Dr. Doom vs Thanos

Scenario:

Dr. Doom and Thanos are not upgraded at all and have no upgrades. They have a week for preparation.

Who wins this match?

Soljer
Dr Doom without any upgrades is a normal human with Reed-Richards intellect.

Thanos without any upgrades is still above-top-tier and is far smarter than ANY Human - Reed and Doom included.

OnslaughtKILLS
Dr. Doom is actually incredibly powerful. He is next in line to become sorcerer supreme. And if you look at feats, I'd say Dr. Doom is close if not is as smart as Thanos.

Soljer
Originally posted by OnslaughtKILLS
Dr. Doom is actually incredibly powerful. He is next in line to become sorcerer supreme. And if you look at feats, I'd say Dr. Doom is close if not is as smart as Thanos.

He dabbled in sorcery LATER in life, which could easily be construed as an 'upgrade,' as he was not a sorcerer to begin his comic career.

Not to mention the fact that the 'next in line to sorcerer supreme' business is pretty dumb considering there are a dozen Earth-Based mystics who have Doom beat for feats.

And....Doom is NO WHERE NEAR Thanos' intellect.

OnslaughtKILLS
Having an understanding of sorcery is not an upgrade, its improving your intelligence. So with that, sorcery being knowledge, Dr. Doom exceeds Thanos in that department.

While Thanos may have had more impressive feats than Dr. Doom (I give it since he seems to be in more reoccuring stories), the feats Dr. Doom has is quite impressive.

golem370
Thanos knows magical stuff to.

Soljer
Having an understanding of sorcery is not an upgrade, its improving your intelligence.

Improving.

As in, making better than it was previously.

As in, upgrading.

no expression.

guy222
Dr. Doom vs Thanos

Scenario:

Dr. Doom and Thanos are not upgraded at all and have no upgrades. They have a week for preparation.

Who wins this match?

thanos

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by Soljer
He dabbled in sorcery LATER in life, which could easily be construed as an 'upgrade,' as he was not a sorcerer to begin his comic career.

Not to mention the fact that the 'next in line to sorcerer supreme' business is pretty dumb considering there are a dozen Earth-Based mystics who have Doom beat for feats.

And....Doom is NO WHERE NEAR Thanos' intellect. Doom didn't dabble in sorcery later in life. He actually grew up around it and studied it fervently much to his girlfriend's dismay back in Latveria as a young man. This is all before he got into science when he attended college with Reed Richards.

Next in line to Sorcerer Supreme is kinda off, but the Vishanti did cherry-pick the sorcerers for the contest and in the end, Doom came in second. And it was only Strange's Orb of Agamotto that allowed him to really win. Kinda unfair if you ask me. In the contest, Doom didn't even use his armor's weapons or defenses. He shut them off out of pride. He did cheat by using his armor's scanners to record other people's spells, but without his skill and prior adeptness, it would have been worthless.

Doom is pretty smart. I don't think Thanos ever has or could build a time machine. Doom harnessed the Power Cosmic long before Thanos ever did. Doom came much closer to defeating Magus on his own. Had him dead to rights while Magus was making Thanos look like a tool throughout most of 'Infinity War.'

But in terms of pure strategy, I do put Thanos at least equal to Doom, if not greater. The way he stole those Infinity Gems in 'Thanos Quest' was pretty awesome. The only strategems of Doom's which I could compare to those were humbling Galactus and the Beyonder in 'Secret Wars' and beating Mephisto in his own realm. Battle's tough to call, I think Thanos for the majority though. But this ain't no curbstomp, and Marvel seriously needs to make this happen in a comic.

quanchi112
thanos wins this ten outta ten times. next

Bouboumaster
Thanos wins. Simple.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Thanos wins. Simple. thumb up

CaptainStoic
Thanos makes em into a garden hoe.

Kutulu
Thanos wins hands down, 10/10.

Citizen V
Thanos 7/10.

Doom's a crafty bugger, he'd take a few.

Wally West
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
Doom is pretty smart. I don't think Thanos ever has or could build a time machine.
I'm pretty certain Thanos has built a time machine.

There is no way Doom is on the same level as Thanos in intellect, in The End Doom sees one of Thanos' spy gadgets and says its far more advanced than his. And in fact Thanos keeps him under constant surveillance without Doom even realising.

Kutulu
Originally posted by Wally West

There is no way Doom is on the same level as Thanos in intellect, in The End Doom sees one of Thanos' spy gadgets and says its far more advanced than his. And in fact Thanos keeps him under constant surveillance without Doom even realising.

^^ Quoted for Truth. Thanos level tech is superior than anything on Marvel Earth right now.

Examples of machines he has made:
* Created a chair which can travel anywhere in the universe by folding space, and can also travel through any dimension as well (allowing Thanos to travel to the Nexus of Reality).
* Created forcefields capable of withstanding a blast from Galactus that made him strain himself.
* Created remote teleportation devices that allowed him to teleport someone else by snapping his fingers to a remote location, built into his armor.
* His technology is so small and well hidden, that his forcefields are stronger than Tony Stark's armor, his remote spying devices can look through the past in time observing events that occurred millions if not billions of years ago (such as Galactus' fight with Tyrant), his teleportation devices are capable of interplanetary travel, and a chair size device can travel anywhere in the universe virtually instantly by folding space itself, surprising even Silver Surfer.
* Technology capable of creating clones of himself which were able to emulate powers of earth based heroes, including a mystical clone of himself that emulated Dr. Strange, an Armor based hero (aka Iron Man), and even a cloned version of himself which had the powers of Galactus and was said to have even more power.
* His remote spying technology was so good that Dr. Doom was unable to detect it.
* He was able to create a robot that fooled Grandmaster during Thanos Quest, and was able to recreate a false personae within the robot itself that he remotely controlled using telepathy.

His technology is on a whole other level than anybody on Marvel Earth right now. Keep in mind that he travelled around the universe for 80 years battling everybody he could find in order to learn advanced combat tactics and during that time studied alien technology as well.

In terms of mental feats, he has fooled Death (the abstract), he has out-thought the In-Betweener (another abstract), Grandmaster (one of the smartest of the Elders of the universe), and even attempted to mind wrestle Galactus himself. He also has studied some mystical arts, but never got that much into it, but has an understanding of it, and how to defend against it, who the major abstract players are, etc..

basilisk

There is no way Doom is on the same level as Thanos in intellect, in The End Doom sees one of Thanos' spy gadgets and says its far more advanced than his.

I'm not so sure if Thanos is much smarter - he has the benefit of having access to a vast range of super-technology from his own civilization and many others across the universe. In the same way, a moderate technological genius with today's technology might appear more "intelligent" than say a technological super-genius born into ancient Greece. Doom developed his tech on his own after all, while a lot of alien races have the stuff Thanos uses.

Thanos has also had a far longer life to learn and apply his knowledge.

To be honest, I like Thanos but most of his plans don't actually seem all that clever when you look at them closely. They just rely mostly on Starlin writing his opponents and allies (except Warlock of course) as clueless morons for the duration of the story.

And in fact Thanos keeps him under constant surveillance without Doom even realising.

Maybe one day some writer will retcon this in the same way Starlin retcons all of Thanos' failures as soon as he sees them. Doom: "I see that fool Thanos is still observing the harmless phony loop video I feed into his spy device... excellent... the dolt!"

janus77
Thanos wins in every reasonable situation, between these two.

Thanos has far far far greater intellect, and that's the only real weapon Doom has in truth.

Thanos has stupendous - cosmic - powers on top of his prodigious intellect. he has immense - tussling with Odin! - durability and tech that outstrips most anything Doom has known.

Kutulu
Originally posted by basilisk
To be honest, I like Thanos but most of his plans don't actually seem all that clever when you look at them closely. They just rely mostly on Starlin writing his opponents and allies (except Warlock of course) as clueless morons for the duration of the story.

So out-witting abstracts isn't clever? Did you ever read Thanos Quest?

basilisk
Originally posted by Kutulu

I did, that was one of the ones I was thinking of. I missed that series and always used to look for it, and didn't read it until many years later only to be a bit disappointed (I was all Infinitied out by that point). None of his little plots seemed all that clever, but it was probably easier to just write the opponents dumber than come up with really clever tricks to beat each one.

quanchi112
I'm not so sure if Thanos is much smarter - he has the benefit of having access to a vast range of super-technology from his own civilization and many others across the universe. In the same way, a moderate technological genius with today's technology might appear more "intelligent" than say a technological super-genius born into ancient Greece. Doom developed his tech on his own after all, while a lot of alien races have the stuff Thanos uses.

Thanos has also had a far longer life to learn and apply his knowledge.

Maybe one day some writer will retcon this in the same way Starlin retcons all of Thanos' failures as soon as he sees them. Doom: "I see that fool Thanos is still observing the harmless phony loop video I feed into his spy device... excellent... the dolt!" no no no. u cannot say the grandmaster is an idiot or that mephisto was just stupid. its that thanos outthinks all around him. he beat up on doom in ig and actually saved dooms life in the end. doom would have died over and over again but thanos rectified tha situation. doom has always been inferior to thanos. from day one to now. dooms goals arent as ambitious as thanos.

i recommend reading thanos quest and see how thanos pawns the elders.

and the elders werent written as fools but it was thanos who just overcame and adapted to every situation thrown at him with beings with far more experience than thanos.

Symmetric Chaos
Thanos 8-9/10

quanchi112
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Thanos 8-9/10 i dont see how thanos can lose.

joesdabest1
thanos would beat his ass

quanchi112
Originally posted by joesdabest1
thanos would beat his ass amen to that.

kevdude
Yup Thanos loses er I mean wins wink

basilisk
Originally posted by quanchi112
no no no. u cannot say the grandmaster is an idiot or that mephisto was just stupid. its that thanos outthinks all around him. he beat up on doom in ig and actually saved dooms life in the end. doom would have died over and over again but thanos rectified tha situation. doom has always been inferior to thanos. from day one to now. dooms goals arent as ambitious as thanos.

i recommend reading thanos quest and see how thanos pawns the elders.

and the elders werent written as fools but it was thanos who just overcame and adapted to every situation thrown at him with beings with far more experience than thanos.

I read Thanos Quest. I agree that Thanos out-thought them all. I'm just saying that IMO the writer made that a relatively easy thing to do.

llagrok

dur

Get the feeling you never did either.

quanchi112
I read Thanos Quest. I agree that Thanos out-thought them all. I'm just saying that IMO the writer made that a relatively easy thing to do. u cant downplay thanos outsmarting elders of the universe. he outschemed grandmaster at the end whom had planned for thanos and knew he was coming. that is very impressive. any way u slice it.

llagrok
Elders of the universe =/= Abstracts

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by llagrok
Elders of the universe =/= Abstracts Personally, I put the Elders of the Universe several notches below Abstracts. I would compare them to Marvel Skyfathers or DC's Guardians. Handful of extremely old beings. But they're not important to cosmic consonance or anything like that in 616 continuity. At least, not to my knowledge. And let's not forget, Thanos had the Infinity Well's all-seeing ability to scheme and a massive upgrade by Death to fulfill his quest to obtain the Infinity Gems. Take those away and who knows...

Alfheim
Thanos has Dr Doom under surveillance and said himself he considered Doom to be a threat. I guess Thanos gets the majority but not all.

Thanos 7/10

llagrok
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
Personally, I put the Elders of the Universe several notches below Abstracts. I would compare them to Marvel Skyfathers or DC's Guardians. Handful of extremely old beings. But they're not important to cosmic consonance or anything like that in 616 continuity. At least, not to my knowledge. And let's not forget, Thanos had the Infinity Well's all-seeing ability to scheme and a massive upgrade by Death to fulfill his quest to obtain the Infinity Gems. Take those away and who knows...

Thanos still has that upgrade.

The elders of the universe are below Skyfathers as well. They have VERY few feats that put them on the same level as the likes of Odin, RKT and Zeus. The champion of the universe has been beaten by the Surfer without his power gem i.e. Some of them are very strong, others aren't :/

darthgoober
Originally posted by llagrok
Thanos still has that upgrade.

The elders of the universe are below Skyfathers as well. They have VERY few feats that put them on the same level as the likes of Odin, RKT and Zeus. The champion of the universe has been beaten by the Surfer without his power gem i.e. Some of them are very strong, others aren't :/
I wouldn't go that far. ALL the Elders are unbelievably powerful, they just tend to be one issue villains so most of them have a track record of jobbing(plus a couple like the Champion are kinda stupid). Surfer even admits that all the Elders are more powerful than he...
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7927/silversurfer198700520oz3.th.jpg

Alfheim
I also think that Grandmaster could be considered to be skyfather.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by darthgoober
I wouldn't go that far. ALL the Elders are unbelievably powerful, they just tend to be one issue villains so most of them have a track record of jobbing(plus a couple like the Champion are kinda stupid). Surfer even admits that all the Elders are more powerful than he...

Is that scan in the Elders respect thread? Because it should be.

Kutulu
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Is that scan in the Elders respect thread? Because it should be.

He forgot to include the next couple pages where Surfer turns his guns to only shoot out flashy lights, making him totally useless. laughing

On a serious note though, the Elders are individually extremely powerful beings.

llagrok
Originally posted by darthgoober

Thank god Trans =/= Herald level.

Alfheim
He forgot to include the next couple pages where Surfer turns his guns to only shoot out flashy lights, making him totally useless. laughing

On a serious note though, the Elders are individually extremely powerful beings.

Yeah thats because this particular Elder derives his power from tech. Its the samething with the Collector some Elders use tech, some elders develop powers.

Lord S
Maybe one day some writer will retcon this in the same way Starlin retcons all of Thanos' failures as soon as he sees them. What a terribly myopic and ill-informed statement. Those stories were not retconned because of Thanos' failures...they were retconned because the writers grossly mishandled the character and reverted him back to 70s mode as a two-dimensional, universe conquering brute...when that was not his MO at the time.

BTW, Thanos beats Doom almost every single time.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Lord S
What a terribly myopic and ill-informed statement. Those stories were not retconned because of Thanos' failures...they were retconned because the writers grossly mishandled the character and reverted him back to 70s mode as a two-dimensional, universe conquering brute...when that was not his MO at the time.

BTW, Thanos beats Doom almost every single time. thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.