Good news Batman Begins fans.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Parker
Looks like Warner Brothers has learned from their mistake they made with Batman Begins in marketing.As we all know,Batman Begins was horribly promoted,many people didnt even know the film was in theaters until it came out.It did not have the brilliant marketing campaine behind it that Batman 89 did or the spiderman movies.The key to the box office success of those movies and they were brilliantly marketed with year long promotions that started a year before the movie came out with either posters already on the walls advertising it or a teaser trailer in theaters.

Begins had none of that.well it looks like they have learned from their mistake because I was at the theaters last weekend and I saw the teaser trailer for it.So it looks like right now anyways,we can relax a little since they seem to be doing things right this time and have learned their lesson.Thats the key is they got to do what they did for batman 89 and the spiderman movies,market the movie starting a year before the release date-get it in the minds of people constantly like they did in those films and 6 months from now,when it gets closer to release date,start advertising toys and stuff and showing the trailers in movie theaters.I just hope they continue with this later on this year like in christmas and show the trailers around that time so people will know its getting much closer to the release date of the film this time.Plus they will already have it in their head about the movie as well since the teaser is already in theaters. smile

WrathfulDwarf
I agree...the marketing for the sequel is going to be much bigger. Hopefully more Joker T-shirts. stick out tongue

Mr Parker
Hey win,was wondering when you would make it down here.yeah looks like it will be much bigger this time thankfully.That better not be the final look of The Joker though.He better have the classic Green hair doo from the comics.I dont care how good the marketing is,if thats the final look of the joker,people are not going to be excited about seeing this movie.after seeing the pics of him,its already starting to put a damper on my excitement for it.

Whisper
When "Begins" came out the biggest advert I saw for it was on the side panel of a bus shelter. Shameful for a movie that turned out to be one of the best of the year. Maybe the marketing people learned their lesson and ate a bit of humble pie from the 1989 Batman when EVERYTHING was bat related. Boxer shorts, pencils, toilet paper, antio shark repellent. It was a bit too much. I think this time the movie will get the marketing campaign that it thoroughly deserves.

Mr Parker
yeah it was disgraceful the way their marketing wasnt ANYTHING at all like Batman 89's was.Batman 89 had a brilliant marketing plan.Cant believe Begins learned nothing from it.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
TDK's marketing compaign will be bigger and better. I look forward to a lot of apparel. I already have several Batman t-shirts, but I'll be buying more when TDK merchandise comes out.

Mr Parker
I have a little bit more concern about the promotion of this movie now.I see a lot of movies and have seen quite a few this past weekend and last weekend and Im a little disturbed that since that time I mentioned when i saw that teaser, I havent seen it since at any of the other movies I have been to since then.Where with the new Get Smart movie they have coming out next summer,I have seen THAT trailer for that movie quite a few times already.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
I believe a new trailer will be up and showing in the coming weeks.

Devil King
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Hopefully more Joker T-shirts. stick out tongue

Hopefully, they will be available in sizes other than Large and XLarge.

Originally posted by Mr Parker
That better not be the final look of The Joker though.He better have the classic Green hair doo from the comics.I dont care how good the marketing is,if thats the final look of the Joker,people are not going to be excited about seeing this movie.

People are already excited about this movie. Part of this is because the character design is fu*king awesome!

As for the marketing, I think the lack of advertising was a good thing for Batman Begins. It was a really smart move, considering the opinion of many fans after the abortion that was Joel Schumacher's run at the helm of the franchise.

If there's anything that should be taken away from the first films, it's that these movies sell themselves. The thrust of a franchise like Batman is that these characters have been around for so long that they already have a built-in audience. (The down side is a legion of fans who think they know what's best for each and every character) Nolan understands this. This is why he's populating his films with actors that so many of us are scartching our heads over. This isn't really Nolan's take on the story of Batman, it's Nolan going through 60+ years of a comic that has run the gamut from dark and serious subject matter to the absurd edges feasability and believability and picking out what works and what simply does not!

Which movies does everyone want? A totally absurd film that pushes the boundries of believability? Or do we want the most realistic and believable movie that we could possibly get from a franchise like Batman?

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Devil King
As for the marketing, I think the lack of advertising was a good thing for Batman Begins. It was a really smart move, considering the opinion of many fans after the abortion that was Joel Schumacher's run at the helm of the franchise.

Batman and Robin was what killed the franchise but Batman Forever was actually well received by the critics.

Devil King
Batman Forever was actually well received by the critics.

So was Transformers.

Soljer
So was Transformers.

You didn't like transformers?

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Hopefully, they will be available in sizes other than Large and XLarge.

People are already excited about this movie. Part of this is because the character design is fu*king awesome!

If there's anything that should be taken away from the first films, it's that these movies sell themselves. The thrust of a franchise like Batman is that these characters have been around for so long that they already have a built-in audience. (The down side is a legion of fans who think they know what's best for each and every character) Nolan understands this. This is why he's populating his films with actors that so many of us are scartching our heads over. This isn't really Nolan's take on the story of Batman, it's Nolan going through 60+ years of a comic that has run the gamut from dark and serious subject matter to the absurd edges feasability and believability and picking out what works and what simply does not!

Which movies does everyone want? A totally absurd film that pushes the boundries of believability? Or do we want the most realistic and believable movie that we could possibly get from a franchise like Batman?

I agree.

So was Transformers.

The critics liked Transformers. I loved Transformers. It was also highly successful and a sequel is on its way.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers06.htm

Mr Parker
thats all good and fine that everybody likes transformers here but I fail to see how that has ANYTHING to do with the topic of this thread?

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Any news today about The Dark Knight?

Mr Parker
I still havent heard anything since I first made this thread.anybody else?

Spartan ll
Looks like Warner Brothers has learned from their mistake they made with Batman Begins in marketing.As we all know,Batman Begins was horribly promoted,many people didnt even know the film was in theaters until it came out.It did not have the brilliant marketing campaine behind it that Batman 89 did or the spiderman movies.The key to the box office success of those movies and they were brilliantly marketed with year long promotions that started a year before the movie came out with either posters already on the walls advertising it or a teaser trailer in theaters.

Begins had none of that.well it looks like they have learned from their mistake because I was at the theaters last weekend and I saw the teaser trailer for it.So it looks like right now anyways,we can relax a little since they seem to be doing things right this time and have learned their lesson.Thats the key is they got to do what they did for batman 89 and the spiderman movies,market the movie starting a year before the release date-get it in the minds of people constantly like they did in those films and 6 months from now,when it gets closer to release date,start advertising toys and stuff and showing the trailers in movie theaters.I just hope they continue with this later on this year like in christmas and show the trailers around that time so people will know its getting much closer to the release date of the film this time.Plus they will already have it in their head about the movie as well since the teaser is already in theaters. smile I may not agree with you on a lot, but I definately with you on this.

I remember being surprised seeing Batman toys again back in 05'. Hell, I didn't even KNOW there was a new Batman movie being made!

Mattel sucks when it comes to toys, though. Their BB and SR(Can still find a few of them on clearence around here) toys blew more than a Daytona Beach hooker. Give the license to Hasbro, IMO.

Devil King
thats all good and fine that everybody likes transformers here but I fail to see how that has ANYTHING to do with the topic of this thread?

It has nothing to do with Batman Begins or the marketing for The Dark Knight. It has everything to do with you saying that Batman Forever was well recieved by the critics. My response that "so was Transformers" was meant to imply that critical acclaim means very little when it comes to how good a movie really is.

Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
The critics liked Transformers. I loved Transformers.

We are all entitled to our opinions. I'm glad you got something out of the movie.

Originally posted by Soljer
You didn't like transformers?

Nope. Not at all. It was a terrible movie that was terribly directed by an awful director.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
"We are all entitled to our opinions"

True

SelinaAndBruce

Nope. Not at all. It was a terrible movie that was terribly directed by an awful director.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought Transformers sucked. And Batman Forever sucked big time too.

Kazenji
Transformers was a good film especally from a director such as micheal bay who's done bad boys, armageddon, con air, IMO i think he made a decent film not to mention he had steven spielberg as the producer

But as someone said before "Were all entitled to our opinions".

Kazenji
For the advertising for this movie i'm not really worried about it as long as the movie comes out

That better not be the final look of The Joker though.He better have the classic Green hair doo from the comics.I dont care how good the marketing is,if thats the final look of the joker,people are not going to be excited about seeing this movie.after seeing the pics of him,its already starting to put a damper on my excitement for it.

Thats the thing with the joker everyone remembers the one with the green hair, Clown make-up and purple suit Batman 89's joker comes to mind here But with This they're trying to go with something different.

Devil King
Originally posted by Kazenji
Thats the thing with the joker everyone remembers the one with the green hair, Clown make-up and purple suit Batman 89's joker comes to mind here But with This they're trying to go with something different.

I don't understand. He does have green hair, make-up and a purple suit.

Mr Parker
from that pic you have posted in your sig,his hair doesnt look green to me and the look looks NOTHING at all like Nicholson and Romero had in their screen adaptations. mad

Rafkins_Warning
His hair is freaking brunette with lime green shrieks! And its so greasy and stringy.... he looks like a crackwhore who got into his mother's makeup and some green manic panic hair dye! Not a good Joker look at all! sick

Kazenji
from that pic you have posted in your sig,his hair doesnt look green to me

Strange the pictures that i've seen his hair looks green confused

Well they have gone with the darker look for the joker which i know and also Jerry Robinson, one of the co-creators of the basic concept for the Joker in the comics, is involved as a consultant on the portrayal of the character.

Devil King
from that pic you have posted in your sig,his hair doesnt look green to me and the look looks NOTHING at all like Nicholson and Romero had in their screen adaptations. mad

Should Ledger refuse to shave off his mustache, too?

If you want the character to be a joke, rather than the Joker, I guess we can go back to the Romero era.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Should Ledger refuse to shave off his mustache, too?

If you want the character to be a joke, rather than the Joker, I guess we can go back to the Romero era.

This isn't the '60's, so that will not work. Ledger's Joker to me looks great.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
This isn't the '60's, so that will not work. Ledger's Joker to me looks great.

Yeah, I like Ledger's look as Joker, too...

So what about this "See you in September" thing? When in September? Mid-to-late? Early?

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Rafkins_Warning
His hair is freaking brunette with lime green shrieks! And its so greasy and stringy.... he looks like a crackwhore who got into his mother's makeup and some green manic panic hair dye! Not a good Joker look at all! sick

one of the rare times me and rafkins agree with each.Hey where you been lately honey? missed ya. smile

I Still say if that is his FINAL look that we see in that sig,then that will be an even bigger sin than having the tumbler in the movie instead of the classic batmobile. mad

Devil King
that will be an even bigger sin than having the tumbler in the movie instead of the classic batmobile. mad

See, and it made perfect sense to me.

Bat Dude
one of the rare times me and rafkins agree with each.Hey where you been lately honey? missed ya. smile

I Still say if that is his FINAL look that we see in that sig,then that will be an even bigger sin than having the tumbler in the movie instead of the classic batmobile. mad

Is it bigger than Keaton? Organics? Tobey Maguire? You really throw that word around, you know...

Again, anyone have info on the See You in September/December stuff? Like when exactly to expect anything? Late, mid, etc.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Bat Dude
Is it bigger than Keaton? Organics? Tobey Maguire? You really throw that word around, you know...

Again, anyone have info on the See You in September/December stuff? Like when exactly to expect anything? Late, mid, etc.

I've read mid december. Did you here about Catwoman and The Joker?

Mr Parker

unlike keaton,tobey at least looked the part,looks wise I liked the choice of him for the part its just HE was a horrible choice for the role because his voice makes me cringe when you hear him talk.you already know the answer to organics so no need to comment on THAT one. stick out tongue if that is the final look of the joker it wont ruin the movie for me like keaton did with batman or organics did with spiderman,remember unlike the other batman movies,I loved batman begins and could look past the tumbler and still love the movie because unlike any of those movies it had a good story behind it which is the most essential crucial thing for a movie to be enjoyable.

Bat Dude
Off Topic: Well, B89 had a decent story... Joker on a theatrical rampage... He doesn't need a reason... (By the way, if you haven't already, check out the Recasting Original Franchise thread, I finally posted the plot)

And Tobey was ok, the only thing that pissed me off about Maguire is that he was such a sissy as Spider-Man, he cried in every movie! (That's more a directing and writing thing, but...)

Back on Topic: Yeah, I've heard the rumors about Catwoman and Joker... Good stuff, this is... And my favorite villain, Two-Face! I also heard that they are shooting for a Winter 2009 release... How could they do that? They'd have to pull a Superman-Superman II (shoot TDK while also shooting SOTB at the same time) for that to work...

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Off Topic: Well, B89 had a decent story... Joker on a theatrical rampage... He doesn't need a reason... (By the way, if you haven't already, check out the Recasting Original Franchise thread, I finally posted the plot)

And Tobey was ok, the only thing that pissed me off about Maguire is that he was such a sissy as Spider-Man, he cried in every movie! (That's more a directing and writing thing, but...)

Back on Topic: Yeah, I've heard the rumors about Catwoman and Joker... Good stuff, this is... And my favorite villain, Two-Face! I also heard that they are shooting for a Winter 2009 release... How could they do that? They'd have to pull a Superman-Superman II (shoot TDK while also shooting SOTB at the same time) for that to work...

Thats a rumor I haven't heard yet. To have back to back Batman movies a year apart would be great. If they somehow pull it off, much props to Nolan and Co..

Rafkins_Warning

I've been SO busy at work lately I haven't hardly had time to even sleep let alone be online... so yeah, that's where I've been.

And I stick to my statements that this Joker is the emo-prince of crime rather than clown........... you'll see... he'll be sitting in the corner listening to some AFI or Panic at the Disco with his runny eyeliner and greasy Hot Topic hair........ its a sin... a true sin! no

Devil King
unlike keaton,tobey at least looked the part,

Really? You think so?

I thought he looked more like the Amazing Babysitter, or perhaps the Incredible Bagboy, than he did Peter Parker.

Mr Parker
take a look at the old 60's comics when peter was in high school.Tobey resembles him.

Mr Parker

well I have gone over my reasons with you as you already know countless of times on WHY the Burton batman movies are so horribly written.Not gonna do it again and repeat myself here if you cant remember them especially since i want to avoide that on THIS thread.

Bat Dude
well I have gone over my reasons with you as you already know countless of times on WHY the Burton batman movies are so horribly written.Not gonna do it again and repeat myself here if you cant remember them especially since i want to avoid that on THIS thread.

Fair enough. Then take that to my dying thread (that NEEDS to see a 3rd page, none of mine ever do and it's killing me)

How about commenting on the latest rumors of a Winter 2009 release? To coincide with JLA? I'm assuming that WB wants to lock Nolan in with BB3, preventing him from leaving while JLA is being made/released... Smart... evil face

Mr Parker
Fair enough. Then take that to my dying thread (that NEEDS to see a 3rd page, none of mine ever do and it's killing me)

How about commenting on the latest rumors of a Winter 2009 release? To coincide with JLA? I'm assuming that WB wants to lock Nolan in with BB3, preventing him from leaving while JLA is being made/released... Smart... evil face

Im not going to repeat myself on something I have said hundreds of times before in the past and actually myself am getting tired of doing,LOL.you want to see those answers again,just read through my responses on the tim burton is a moron thread and the new hate towards batman thread.all the answers are right there for you to see. big grin Besides,it seems you have ALREADY forgotten you said you dont want to hear me bash the burton batman movies anymore and now all of a sudden your changing your mind? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'll go on your thread and talk about how they could have been better and even how things are with you in school and everything if you want like what was being talked about there before, big grin but Im not interested in anymore Burton bashing.thats why I created THIS thread because I want to talk about the CURRENT Nolan batman movies. and sorry I am unsure what JLA is and what you mean by a winter 2009 release? confused

Bat Dude
Im not going to repeat myself on something I have said hundreds of times before in the past and actually myself am getting tired of doing,LOL.you want to see those answers again,just read through my responses on the tim burton is a moron thread and the new hate towards batman thread.all the answers are right there for you to see. big grin Besides,it seems you have ALREADY forgotten you said you dont want to hear me bash the burton batman movies anymore and now all of a sudden your changing your mind? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'll go on your thread and talk about how they could have been better and even how things are with you in school and everything if you want like what was being talked about there before, big grin but Im not interested in anymore Burton bashing.thats why I created THIS thread because I want to talk about the CURRENT Nolan batman movies. and sorry I am unsure what JLA is and what you mean by a winter 2009 release? confused

Like I said, fair enough...

JLA = Justice League of America (WB wants to make a JLA movie as their summer blockbuster for 2009, since Watchmen isn't that kind of movie. But now I hear that rumors are circulating that there is still an anti JLA camp in WB, and they're pulling for "The Man of Steel" instead, which is Singer's follow up to Superman Returns)

And also, there are new rumors circulating about a winter 2009 release for BB3, with JLA being in the summer of that year... Possibly to keep Nolan from leaving, since it's no secret he and Bale are at least a little upset that they are attempting to put Batman in a JLA movie while THEIR doing a solo Batman franchise...

Mr Parker
still no new advertisements in the theaters for the dark knight.Thats a little bit disturbing to me.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
still no new advertisements in the theaters for the dark knight.Thats a little bit disturbing to me.

Its not disturbing to me at all. I expect something not too far in the future.

Bat Dude
I agree... This is the calm before the storm... The storm being TDK news/advertisement bombardment...

Rafkins_Warning
I agree... This is the calm before the storm... The storm being TDK news/advertisement bombardment...

And god help us when that day arrives....

P.S. Mr. Parker, love the signature! yes

Mr Parker
well im pleased to see that they finally put out posters at the theaters to advertise the movie. Happy Dance with batman begins,they waited till like only a couple of months before the movie opened before they did it so looks like they have learned from their mistakes this time.

roughrider

Begins had none of that.well it looks like they have learned from their mistake because I was at the theaters last weekend and I saw the teaser trailer for it.So it looks like right now anyways,we can relax a little since they seem to be doing things right this time and have learned their lesson.Thats the key is they got to do what they did for batman 89 and the spiderman movies,market the movie starting a year before the release date-get it in the minds of people constantly like they did in those films and 6 months from now,when it gets closer to release date,start advertising toys and stuff and showing the trailers in movie theaters.I just hope they continue with this later on this year like in christmas and show the trailers around that time so people will know its getting much closer to the release date of the film this time.Plus they will already have it in their head about the movie as well since the teaser is already in theaters. smile

Batman Begins had a teaser trailer out a year in advance - the one with Christian Bale's narration. Plus, there was select images of him in the suit, plus discreet shots of the new batmobile (at the time, we looked and went "Huh?" Then we saw it in action on the screen, and went "Wow."wink Five months before the film opened, a longer trailer premiered at the Super Bowl. I think they were doing their job well. If they weren't being over-aggressive, maybe they were keeping in mind the bad taste left behind by Batman & Robin eight years earlier. Now that people know what a different series this is, they can push it some more.

Mr Parker
well Im really worried now about the advertising for batman begins.I cant beleieve they advertised the inferiour Ironman in the superbowl commercials over the dark knight. mad

frankenfeltch
Do you guys even know of the intense viral marketing campaign going on for this film? Including Joker cards with "I believe in Harvey Dent" written on them being thrown everywhere inside comic book shops all over the US, clown cakes with cell phones inside them, 10's of thousands of people putting on joker make up and submitting them to rorysdeathkiss.com (which is a site that is supposed to be run by the Joker *wink*) so that they can become apart of the Joker's army, a nation-wide ransom note puzzle where people had to go out in the real world to find letters in each state to reveal a new picture of the Joker. Believe, aside from what you seen on tv and in the theaters, there is an insane amount of marketing going on that you could find if you did a little research.

Mr Parker
the thing is though its not out there for the masses to see like it was for batman 89.Batman 89 everywhere i would go,I could not go ANYWHERE practically without seeing something batman related to the movie.I dont see that happening with this movie so we have good reason to be worried.Batman begins was horribly promoted and because of that,it did not do that well at the box office.and from im seeing,they seem to be making the same mistake with the dark knight. mad

frankenfeltch
Its called viral marketing and what WB wanted to do was go a different route when promoting this film. Everyone already knows that this is coming out. Do a little research and you will see that the campaign is actually genius.

U Neek
If you're a Batman fan, you'll know when the movie is going to come out. You don't need teaser trailers, posters on every street corner or a free "Bat-give away" in National papers to know when the movie hits the cinema. Sure all this stuff helps attract the masses, but for true fans of the comics, they know themselves when the movie will be out.

By the way, when is TDK out in the UK?

Jokes aside, as soon as I heard they were making Batman Begins I went onto the Internet, did a search and found out when it was released. Then I made sure I had a couple of tickets booked to go see it/

Sometimes too much advertisement can kill a movie by hyping it up too much only for it to flop (*cough* Superman Returns...) It's very hard to get the balance right. I thought the level of advertisement in the UK was acceptable for Batman Begins.

-U

U Neek
Batman begins was horribly promoted and because of that,it did not do that well at the box office.and from im seeing,they seem to be making the same mistake with the dark knight. mad

They must have done something right with Batman Begins for a follow up movie (TDK) to be warranted.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=batmanbegins.htm

It doesn't look like it did that bad.

SelinaAndBruce
I don't think this one is going to need as much promo anyway though I think sadly Heath's death is also going to add a certain must see quality to this film.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by U Neek
They must have done something right with Batman Begins for a follow up movie (TDK) to be warranted.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=batmanbegins.htm

It doesn't look like it did that bad.

the total gross was only 205 mill though.it topped Batman Returns and Batman Forever at the box office but it didnt so as well as the original batman 89 did which was 250 mill.it could have done MUCH better if it had had the kind of promotion that batman 89 did.Begins was so horribly promoted that many people werent even aware about the movie coming out till it was out in the theaters.yes id did decent at the box office but it could have done so much better if it had the same kind of promotions that batman 89 did or the way sony has brilliantly marketed the spider-man movies the same way warner brothers did with batman 89.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.