Swing Dancing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DigiMark007
Holy crap this needs its own topic!

I went for the first time today. Every bit as awkward as I imagined. But also more fun than I anticipated.

And when you see people who go regularly, you see how freaking sweet it looks and how cool it would be to be able to dance.

Also, a random girl asked me to dance, and my friend assured me it's a great way to meet girls. Didn't get her number or anything (we only danced one song and didn't talk too much. and beyond that, I didn't really feel like it...and the ease with which it happened assured me that it could happen again quite easily). Still, fun times and clumsy dance steps, but I wasn't half bad by the end (or half good, to be honest, but it was only one night).

Anyway, talk. Anyone else swing dance? Or want to?

SelphieT
I'd love to! If I could only find a guy that was interested.....

kodak
Originally posted by SelphieT
I'd love to! If I could only find a guy that was interested..... Hi. cool

DigiMark007
I'd love to! If I could only find a guy that was interested.....

Exactly my point.

Fellas, take heed. You're likely one of many girls that feel the same way.

cool

SelphieT
Well thank ya fellas!

kodak
Well thank ya fellas! is that Tank Girl?

SelphieT
Originally posted by kodak
is that Tank Girl?

Tank Girl, Sub Girl, and Jet Girl!!!!

kodak
thats what i thought, i liked the tank girl movie.
it was neat.

DarkC
I love dancing....and yet I hate it at the same time.

Digi, what's "swing" exactly, Jazz?

SelphieT
it was neat.

Yeah, the comics are way cooler and funnier though smile

kodak
Yeah, the comics are way cooler and funnier though smile ive never read them (as im not from the UK)

But im told they are funny. smile

DigiMark007
Originally posted by DarkC
I love dancing....and yet I hate it at the same time.

Digi, what's "swing" exactly, Jazz?

It's just a style of dancing. It has some basic steps, then lots and lots of variations and moves out of those basic steps and rhythms. Some other popular styles are salsa and marengue (sic?)....both of which are slightly easier than swing at the basic levels. Jazz is different, as I can't imagine true jazz being great to try to dance to with a partner.

Skeets
I can dance Salsa,Merengue,Bachata and all that good shit.

I learned from my aunts...31

SelphieT
ive never read them (as im not from the UK)

But im told they are funny. smile

Dude, I'm from the US of A, and I read Tank!

kodak
Dude, I'm from the US of A, and I read Tank! o.O i take it then i can read it online?

Rogue Jedi
it was neat. Lori Petty was hot in that movie.

Secretus
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Holy crap this needs its own topic!

I went for the first time today. Every bit as awkward as I imagined. But also more fun than I anticipated.

And when you see people who go regularly, you see how freaking sweet it looks and how cool it would be to be able to dance.

Also, a random girl asked me to dance, and my friend assured me it's a great way to meet girls. Didn't get her number or anything (we only danced one song and didn't talk too much. and beyond that, I didn't really feel like it...and the ease with which it happened assured me that it could happen again quite easily). Still, fun times and clumsy dance steps, but I wasn't half bad by the end (or half good, to be honest, but it was only one night).

Anyway, talk. Anyone else swing dance? Or want to?

I swing but ... It's more like a no-pants dance.

miss_swann
I do swing dancing, it's fun. More boys need to go there are always at least 2 girls without a partner.

DigiMark007
I need to learn some sh*t first. I was hacking my way through some stuff but nowhere near smooth. I wouldn't feel right asking a girl to dance then sucking.

Luckily I have friends who are willing to go out with me (though many are going back to school soon). I might need a swing CD and a mirror if I want to improve.

DigiMark007
Bump.

Went dancing. After a formal lesson a couple weeks ago (only $20 for 4 hours) and some pre-going-out training from a friend. I'm still not "great" and occasionally just kill a dance. But then occasionally I go an entire song and look f-ing sweet, improvising, doing complex moves, stringing them together, etc.

Highly recommended, though only after some kind of training. The friends there that had never danced (even girls, whose job is far easier than the guys in swing dancing) were decidedly less comfortable.

Alcohol helps too, but only moderately so. A slight buzz is enough to break the tension...any more and it makes you sloppy in a hurry. If you're into dancing, the enthusiasm carries you anyway.

ScarletSpeed
always thought swng dancin was quite hot laughing
I have less rythm than a tic tac, though.

MIŠT
Bump.

Went dancing. After a formal lesson a couple weeks ago (only $20 for 4 hours) and some pre-going-out training from a friend. I'm still not "great" and occasionally just kill a dance. But then occasionally I go an entire song and look f-ing sweet, improvising, doing complex moves, stringing them together, etc.

Highly recommended, though only after some kind of training. The friends there that had never danced (even girls, whose job is far easier than the guys in swing dancing) were decidedly less comfortable.

Alcohol helps too, but only moderately so. A slight buzz is enough to break the tension...any more and it makes you sloppy in a hurry. If you're into dancing, the enthusiasm carries you anyway.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9022/swingdl5.jpg

dadudemon
Bump.

I went to a swing dance class for an hour every Wednesday for about 6 months. I got quite good. My wife doesn't like to dance....so I've been wasting away with my skills.

Working out really helps with the lifts. Have you heard or have you seen "The Star"? It takes a nimble and light woman and a strong man to even pull it off. What about "The Bird"? That just makes you look strong if your female partner is nimble...but all my partners in class were far from athletes and one of them was 165....it took me a month before I get lift her into "The Bird".

My favorite way to end a song is in "The Chainsaw". It just looks incredibly bada$$. Another one that just looks incredibly cool is "The Never-Ending Pretzel." It's the pretzel move except instead of ending the pretzel on the last "unfold" of the arms, the dude just spins completely around and starts the pretzel over again. If you do it fast and nimble and your partner knows what's going on, it looks really really cool.

I think swing dance is fun, but I haven't been able to do it in over 2 years. sad

DigiMark007

Newjak
Massive Bump

dang I didn't know you danced Digi so do I. I actually do ballroom and one of the dances we cover is swing.

Digi
Old thread is old. Anyway, bumping. Sorry I didn't see your bump newjak.

I made this thread circa 3 years ago. I've made some strides since then. I am fluent in east coast swing and blues dancing, and have varying proficiency at lindy, merengue (sic?), salsa, and cha-cha, and I'm told I need to learn west coast soon.

Dancing is always a good time, and surprisingly hilarious at weddings when no one else really knows much. It remains a good way to meet women (I met my last gf there), but some guys are there just to meet women, and it shows. It makes it hard to appear overly social without getting lumped in with them, regardless of my intentions. That's my lone gripe. So mostly I just go to goof around and have a good time.

The Nuul
So, you think you can dance is in the future?

Digi
Originally posted by The Nuul
So, you think you can dance is in the future?

Clearly not. I'm just trying to inspire some discussion on the topic.

Rogue Jedi
I go dancin' with myself. Oh oh, oh oh.

ADarksideJedi
I could swing dance alittle but my two sisters are better then I am with dancing!

Digi
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I could swing dance alittle but my two sisters are better then I am with dancing!

My sister is actually better than I am as well. But she knows all of my leads, so she's one of my favorite people to dance with. For east coast at least. Blues dancing is too weird to dance with your little sister.

Digi
Bump for posterity.

I'm a swing god now. Take heed, minions. Your dreams can come true.

fdog

dadudemon
Hey, I did have a nice long reply to you, 2 years back, then something happened at work and I lost it all....power sag?

Can't remember but I spent like an hour putting a nice post together with some videos on East Coast swing and lost it all. Then I was like, "**** it."

adamwilliams
I want to do but i can not swim.

Digi
Originally posted by dadudemon
Hey, I did have a nice long reply to you, 2 years back, then something happened at work and I lost it all....power sag?

Can't remember but I spent like an hour putting a nice post together with some videos on East Coast swing and lost it all. Then I was like, "**** it."

Lol. Yeah, east coast swing is my thing. The city I live in isn't big-time by any stretch, but in the local scene I've taught east coast lessons and stuff on occasion.

I'm good at Lindy Hop too, but not to the extent that I'd teach it to anyone outside of beginners. Decent at blues too. Then there's balboa, the latin stuff (cha-cha, salse, merengue), Foxtrot, other ballroom things, and assorted others. Technically I can do a lot of them, but pretty much nothing beyond the basic step(s). So, for practical purposes, not at all.

If you ever want online resources for this stuff, hit me up. I'll show you the goods.

crackers

Newjak
Originally posted by Digi
Bump for posterity.

I'm a swing god now. Take heed, minions. Your dreams can come true.

fdog At some point I will post some videos of my dance performances for you guys stick out tongue

Digi
Please do.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.