Vertigo?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tenebrous
Several years ago I picked up an issue of spawn from a comic book seller on the sidewalk and enjoyed the issue greatly. i don't remember the issue number or what exact spawn title it was but it basically chronicled the story of the arch-angel gabriel, and how he went into hell with the Word of God (a sword) and battled satan, but ultimately lost and was cast down as a fallen angel.

The religious/mythological, and cosmological aspect of the story really appealed to me....those are my favorite comic stories.

Are there similar tales in Vertigo? My assumption is yes...I stopped reading comics right after the Onslaught arc was finished, and then started reading again when Annihilation came out last year. How should one get started in Vertigo?

Black Adam
Sandman. Read it now.

Endless Mike
Then Lucifer

tjcoady
pretty much all the early vertigo stuff is just downright amazing. the entire run of Hellblazer is good comics if you like religious/mythical/magical type stories.

Endless Mike
Also Swamp Thing

Tenebrous
Originally posted by tjcoady
pretty much all the early vertigo stuff is just downright amazing. the entire run of Hellblazer is good comics if you like religious/mythical/magical type stories.

are those in trades perhaps? the only exposure i've had to hellblazer is the movie Constantine...but I did actually enjoy that movie very much.

Morridini
Is Spectre Vertigo or DC Universe?

kevdude
Originally posted by Morridini
Is Spectre Vertigo or DC Universe?

He is both

tjcoady
Originally posted by Tenebrous
are those in trades perhaps? the only exposure i've had to hellblazer is the movie Constantine...but I did actually enjoy that movie very much.

it's a bit different from the movie... the character is more humanistic and has less of a "servant of heaven thing" going... but it's really good. Garth Ennis' run is great. Those show the street level magician aspect of Constantine... they're pretty good stuff. Warren Ellis is good too: "Haunted" and "Setting Sun." but I'm pretty sure that it's all in trade.

Galan007
As mentioned above,

The Sandman/Lucifer series' are both excellent reads.

Worth buying for sure. thumb up

tjcoady
Originally posted by Galan007
As mentioned above,

The Sandman/Lucifer series' are both excellent reads.

Worth buying for sure. thumb up

on that subject, I think you have an awesome user pic.

Galan007
Originally posted by tjcoady
on that subject, I think you have an awesome user pic. Thanks! big grin

SpearofDestiny
Lucifer is one of the greatest series ever written thumb up

Zebedee
Sandman, Swampthing, Lucifer, Fables, Preacher and Hellblazer all kick ass. Things like Black Orchid were also very good. The Darkhorse stuff like Concrete is on a par with much of the later Vertigo though. As are a number of independents. Some of DC's prestige line in the late eighties early nineties like the Nazz.

SnakeEyes
I've recently started getting into Vertigo stuff. After I finish up Preacher, I plan on reading another series, probably Y-The Last Man.

ScarletSpeed
Hellblaizerbig grin

Kazenji
Only thing i've got of vertigo is V for vendetta

would'nt mind checking out hellblazer.

Scoobless
I don't think I've read any of the titles mentioned in this thread.

no expression

ScarletSpeed
Hellblazer(Constantine)

is very good

Kazenji
Originally posted by Scoobless
I don't think I've read any of the titles mentioned in this thread.

no expression

Surely you've heard of V for vendetta they made a movie of it.

DigiMark007
questions thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.