Debate Fallacies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Da Pittman
I have noticed that people love to point out fallacies that other people use in their debates as if it makes their points valid. I remember going over them back in college and we talked about it for awhile and how it is almost impossible for you to have a debate without using one or more in your argument so why do people like to point them out if they are using them themselves?

Logical Fallacies

debbiejo
Originally posted by Da Pittman
I have noticed that people love to point out fallacies that other people use in their debates as if it makes their points valid. I remember going over them back in college and we talked about it for awhile and how it is almost impossible for you to have a debate without using one or more in your argument so why do people like to point them out if they are using them themselves?

Logical Fallacies To feel superior. I see right through it. They are sick people inside... doctor

Robtard
Appeal to Logic, Pittman? smile

To be honest though, not all fallacies are created equal, some are outright offensive to use in an argument, while others are passable at times.

Da Pittman
Originally posted by Robtard

To be honest though, not all fallacies are created equal, some are outirght offensive to use in an argument, while others are passable at times. Logic FTW pitt_moody

lil bitchiness
I am sure you release that majority people on the board are under the age of 16. Furthermore, some people's social knowledge extends to watching TV. Others never paid any attention in class.

BackFire

Logical Fallacies

Because it's important to show people reading who may not know that an argument is broken/invalid/shitty/ugly/poopy.

And it's totally possible to construct an argument without fallacies.

Da Pittman

BackFire
It's not really that hard to do if you try. As long as you are aware of them.

Robtard

Da Pittman
Circular reasoning? Stop making the same fallacies and those same people will stop pointing them out. Cum hoc ergo proctor hoc? smile stick out tongue

Bardock42
What is worse imo is that the people just use them to disregard a point. Oftentime they are not applicable.

Adam_PoE

Strangelove

To be honest though, not all fallacies are created equal, some are outright offensive to use in an argument, while others are passable at times. Agreed

Da Pittman
Which ones would you find offensive and which ones would you think are "ok"?

Victor Von Doom

Logical Fallacies

Wrong.

You've committed the fallacy of humble aptitude for a start, as well as the 'man walking with a basket' fallacy, and the way of the shining oak regressive error.

Da Pittman
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Wrong.

You've committed the fallacy of humble aptitude for a start, as well as the 'man walking with a basket' fallacy, and the way of the shining oak regressive error. humlaughing

Victor Von Doom
humlaughing

And now confusio et laughanum.

Da Pittman
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
And now confusio et laughanum. beer

and now drunken ad nausium wink

Adam_PoE
My problem is not with people citing logical fallacies, but with people citing them incorrectly.

Violent2Dope
Wtf are debate fallacies?

ADarksideJedi
The fun part of about debating is cutting down what people say and correcting it or going by your view.It is a known fact however that most Dem will pick a debate and then say something about that person.
Weather it will be about race beliefs or whatever.So instead of debating on what that person say they will say things as "Well you just say that because you are from a rich family or so on"It is pretty pitiful if you ask me.
What can you do?jm

Violent2Dope
I debate all the time in game vs.(I'm a geekbig grin) and never once have I heard the term debate fallacies.

Robtard
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
The fun part of about debating is cutting down what people say and correcting it or going by your view.It is a known fact however that most Dem will pick a debate and then say something about that person.
Weather it will be about race beliefs or whatever.So instead of debating on what that person say they will say things as "Well you just say that because you are from a rich family or so on"It is pretty pitiful if you ask me.
What can you do?jm

Funny, you ridicule Democrats (I assume you really mean "liberals"wink for improper debate behavior, yet you're the one pointing the fingers.

Creshosk
Funny, you ridicule Democrats (I assume you really mean "liberals"wink for improper debate behavior, yet you're the one pointing the fingers. "Everytime you point a finger, there are three more pointing back at you."

Robtard
Originally posted by Creshosk
"Everytime you point a finger, there are three more pointing back at you."

Did Chuck Norris say that?

StyleTime
What can you do?jm
Ah yes, jm. I forgot how awesome you are.
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
I debate all the time in game vs.(I'm a geekbig grin) and never once have I heard the term debate fallacies.
Are you serious? You do know Sandai right?

"Everytime you point a finger, there are three more pointing back at you."
You know, I actually thought "No there's 4 pointing back at you" when I read that.

I guess I shouldn't really broadcast that though huh?

Bardock42
"Everytime you point a finger, there are three more pointing back at you." That is literally true, as a saying pretty worthless though.
Originally posted by StyleTime

You know, I actually thought "No there's 4 pointing back at you" when I read that.

I guess I shouldn't really broadcast that though huh?

Nah, it's alright, you just have a freaky hand.

What can you do?jm A-are you serious? Is that how you perceive yourself?
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
My problem is not with people citing logical fallacies, but with people citing them incorrectly.

Funny, that's the guy I was thinking about too.

Creshosk
Did Chuck Norris say that? It's possible... I remember there was this old cartoon about him and at the end of the episode he'd give advice.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Bardock42
What is worse imo is that the people just use them to disregard a point. Oftentime they are not applicable. Yeah, it's much better to just call someone an idiot to disregard a point. That's a much more logical and well thought out thing to do.

Bardock42
Yeah, it's much better to just call someone an idiot to disregard a point. That's a much more logical and well thought out thing to do. I don't disregard points. But yes, it is better to call someone an idiot and give a reason for it (at least the first few times) than using logical fallacies incorrectly to dodge valid points.

Creshosk
I don't disregard points. But yes, it is better to call someone an idiot and give a reason for it (at least the first few times) than using logical fallacies incorrectly to dodge valid points. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Bardock42
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Rather ironic, don't you think?

Creshosk
Rather ironic, don't you think? Not really. I expect you to say stupid things like you do. So no it's not ironic for you to say stupid things like that.

Bardock42
Not really. I expect you to say stupid things like you do. So no it's not ironic for you to say stupid things like that.

You are not the most intelligent fellow around, are you?

It is ironic that you accuse me of dodging points as well as being an advocate of stating logical fallacies at all times (regardless of applicability) and yet answer a post with something like "
Rather ironic, don't you think?".

Yet, I probably commit the logical fallacy of "pointing out Creshosk's bullshit" now, so, forget what I said.

Alfheim
Yes I know im not perfect myself but I know who this thread is about, somebody likes to use the word fallacy alot.

Bardock42

It is ironic that you accuse me of dodging points as well as being an advocate of stating logical fallacies at all times (regardless of applicability) and yet answer a post with something like "
Rather ironic, don't you think?".

Yet, I probably commit the logical fallacy of "pointing out Creshosk's bullshit" now, so, forget what I said.

What an incredible error to make.

Of course I didn't mean you answer with "Rather ironic, don't you think?" but "Whatever helps you sleep at night."

Be that as it may, of course my answer would in such circumstances be similarly ironic, but since they don't apply to me it doesn't really matter.

Anyways, disregard my earlier post (except for a few good laughs at irony at its best) and just read it as this:

It is ironic that you accuse me of dodging points as well as being an advocate of stating logical fallacies at all times (regardless of applicability) and yet answer a post with something like "Whatever helps you sleep at night.".

Creshosk
You are not the most intelligent fellow around, are you? Don't confuse my being obstinate with being unintelligent. since you didn't pick up on it, my last response was little more than an elementary school retort of "I know you are but what am I."

It is ironic that you accuse me of dodging points as well as being an advocate of stating logical fallacies at all times (regardless of applicability) and yet answer a post with something like "Whatever helps you sleep at night.".". Please, I'm just an idiot remember? It really shouldn't be ironic that I've given up trying to have any sort of civil discourse with you and stoop to your level of doing nothing productive and merely hurling insults around.

I had respect for you at one point in time, but you blew it.

Yet, I probably commit the logical fallacy of "pointing out Creshosk's bullshit" now, so, forget what I said. Please, I'm not so stupid as to not recognize a thread devoted to "secretly" bashing me. So this isn't a debate.

Not to sound arrogant, but its obvious that you can't handle what I say or do since you have to resort to these childish tactics.

Imperial_Samura
What can you do?jm

*Laughgasm*

Typically in a debate the fun part for me, if it is one where winning is an option and a desired outcome, then it isn't about cutting down what the other side says and "correcting it" but simply to present a better argument, better evidenced, better supported.

When I did debating in school it was clear that the way to suceed was not to "attack" the person, their method or how they said something, but what was being said. I heard plenty of logical fallacies but the point was you knew what they were getting at. It didn't serve anything to get up there and waste ones time going "logical fallacy, debating fallacy" because then you wouldn't be countering their argument, just how it was presented.

Much better to present some actual rebuttal then just nit picking the othersides technique.

botankus
Like it or not, in this ADHD world we live in, Presentation is right up there with Validity.

Da Pittman

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by StyleTime
Are you serious? You do know Sandai right? What about him?

Bardock42
What about him? If I had to take a guess I'd say he probably uses the word debate fallacy a lot.

lord xyz

Logical Fallacies Link doesn't work.

Da Pittman
Originally posted by lord xyz
Link doesn't work. Does for me, must be your settings it is nothing you have to login to wink

Bardock42
It did work for me earlier. Now it doesn't.

2D_MASTER
It did work for me earlier. Now it doesn't.

You gave it an e-STD, great... nazi-pedo...

Da Pittman
It did work for me earlier. Now it doesn't. Still working for me, must be an ISP issue not connecting to the site.

Here is another list

http://www.onegoodmove.org/fallacy/toc.htm

StyleTime
What about him?
If I had to take a guess I'd say he probably uses the word debate fallacy a lot.
Bardock42 is correct.

Strangelove
Still working for me, must be an ISP issue not connecting to the site.

Here is another list

http://www.onegoodmove.org/fallacy/toc.htm You could always use Wikipedia too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Schecter

Czarina_Czarina
when i was entering my 20s and for the years to follow, i wish someone would have put me in my place,the same way that was done after speaking my mind on the message board about my opinions of black culture, as if they would have told me that i am inferior in debating techniques and that i am stupid and crazy, maybe i would have been credulous to listen and therefore, none of the blacks/minorities in that inner city and the ones who benefited from the press release(s) and the THOUSANDS who benefited from the ARGUMENTS/petitions for them to have busing in areas that they felt they weren't allowed into....maybe they would have either not benefited from it at all, or it could have been significantly delayed....

i wish these same folks were in my life in my 20s, and MAYBE i would have listened to their negativity so that i wouldn't have done a damn thing in the favor of those crying oppression, and i wouldn't have to express my opinion for one second.

too bad i didn't realize that, if i would have realized i was crazy, stupid, without ability to argue, i would have let them be, and ignore their cry, maybe i would still have my job and bank account.

Victor Von Doom

Schecter
hahaha you're right. im sure its easy to sort out without my help, though stick out tongue

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Czarina_Czarina
when i was entering my 20s and for the years to follow, i wish someone would have put me in my place,the same way that was done after speaking my mind on the message board about my opinions of black culture, as if they would have told me that i am inferior in debating techniques and that i am stupid and crazy, maybe i would have been credulous to listen and therefore, none of the blacks/minorities in that inner city and the ones who benefited from the press release(s) and the THOUSANDS who benefited from the ARGUMENTS/petitions for them to have busing in areas that they felt they weren't allowed into....maybe they would have either not benefited from it at all, or it could have been significantly delayed....

i wish these same folks were in my life in my 20s, and MAYBE i would have listened to their negativity so that i wouldn't have done a damn thing in the favor of those crying oppression, and i wouldn't have to express my opinion for one second.

too bad i didn't realize that, if i would have realized i was crazy, stupid, without ability to argue, i would have let them be, and ignore their cry, maybe i would still have my job and bank account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5m5OrNh4c4

The comments...esp. the ones that state they have a right to hurt her.

"She whould get beat up by black girls hear her voice... shes ethurr just got off a boring dick or shes whiiiiiittteeee,,,,, and lost ass ****....shes a white ***** for gay marrage "

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Schecter
hahaha you're right. im sure its easy to sort out without my help, though stick out tongue

Well, yes. Yes it is.

Just checking that you did in fact make an error.

Bardock42

i wish these same folks were in my life in my 20s, and MAYBE i would have listened to their negativity so that i wouldn't have done a damn thing in the favor of those crying oppression, and i wouldn't have to express my opinion for one second

I thought you don't wish bad things on people.

Czarina_Czarina

I love this video, and I can say that if anyone has had a problem with me thinking I'm was soul switched or not, if they have any problems with the fact that I do not touch people's body, personal finances or job, and what I think or thought or continue to think of myself has no baring on them, no matter who I like or dislike, and don't forget of how many rapers talk about women as WHORES, B*TCHES, and they don't project anything kindly about women at all, so what is it to me to rob them of a chance to earn their income based on what they think of me?, please watch this video and enjoy it. I don't force them to like me, nor will I agree to be forced to like or dislike anything that belong's to another person's thoughts or opinions or wishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCVlfTIOwaM&mode=related&search=

7.30 minutes is great, if you want to FF and get to the meat and bones of what this video is about. And again, who you think I am has no baring on me, unless you rob my bank account, cause job loss, or personal injury or emotional threats; if you leave me alone, I can careless what you do with your mind about me. Hopefully, something that makes you happy.

Czarina_Czarina
I ran out of time, sorry.

starting at 5.00 min is great too (and again, i am still ignoring commentaries. Be blessed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.