I don't quite understand silent hill

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steverules
Why was the mother in a silent hill filled with monsters and other f*cked up scary stuff and the dad, is in...a different silent hill, and then at the end she's still trapped...I don't get it, was she dead or something? And the daughter seemed a little different, I didn't quite understand what was up with her at the end of the film

Röland
Originally posted by steverules
Why was the mother in a silent hill filled with monsters and other f*cked up scary stuff and the dad, is in...a different silent hill, and then at the end she's still trapped...I don't get it, was she dead or something? And the daughter seemed a little different, I didn't quite understand what was up with her at the end of the film

I took ending as Silent Hill is a hell of sorts or a purgatory and the mother and girl actually died in the car crash before they entered Silent Hill.

steverules
Weren't the police searching? I would've thought they'd find the bodies and the car

aimeepria
silent hill the town was split into 2.
The father was in the GOOD silent hill b4 the fire happened
and the mother and daughter were in the BAD silent hill after the fire which turned it into a hell like place.

Dark Alessa and Sharon merged together and became one again - the "rebirth" of Alessa. Dark Alessa is Alessa's evil side in physical form and Sharon is Alessa's good side in physical form. When Alessa's good half (Sharon) and her evil half (Dark Alessa) recombine, the original Alessa is reborn.

Alessa herself wasn't evil at first, but actions of the cultists, who tormented and then nearly killed her, tainted her good heart (or as Rose says, "...darkened the heart of an innocent."wink. However, Dark Alessa is evil, since she is Alessa's evil side incarnate. She embodies everything evil in Alessa's nature (as with all human beings): hatred, pain, vengeance, jealousy, rage, etc. (thus the "many names" Dark Alessa spoke of), just as Sharon embodies everything good in Alessa's nature.

hanxan
The way I understood it is that they are on different plains of the same reality, therefore they co exist.

roughrider
Though I'm kinda proud they shot this film in my hometown (we have some very depressed streets downtown), it's not very good.

steverules
So Sharon/Alessa now reborn is Evil? And how did the mother and Sharon end up in the evil Silent hill?

Jason_Krueger
What I think about what happened is that the mother went searching in the town for her daughter after the wreck and upon continuous exposure to the carbon monoxide gases, that was rising up from beneath the town, the mother and daughter both died somewhere in the town thats why nobody could find them.....all the weird sh*t they experienced was kinda like hell of some sort.....thats just my take on the ending

SelphieT
Has anyone played the game? Does it have anything to do with the movie's ending at all?

steverules
I would've thought that if they died there bodies would've been found or something

k32actdewolf
:[ i still don't understand and it's driving me absolutely crazy
if they did die from breathing the fumes too long or the car crash then why didn't the cops find the bodies and why would the mom see all that weird sh!t?
AND! was the cop dead too then?
like i said not understanding this movie is driving me insane i need answers

starguard
Ive never seen this movie in its entirety, but what exactly was Pyramidhead. Was he some kind of rapist or something?

LoneUnknown
I always assumed that they died at the beginning of the movie too but the fact that no bodies were found suggests that they may not have.

Alessa needed a living host to help her get into the church in Silent Hill, Rose would be no use to her dead. I see Silent Hill as another dimension in which Rose and Sharon were brought to by Alessa to help her take revenge against those who tortured her. At the end they are able to leave the town (but not the dimension, hence the fog at the house at the end etc) because dark Alessa has merged with Sharon (her other self) and is now one again. As it's stated in the movie, "Only the dark one opens and closes the door to Silent Hill." They are not dead but infact trapped in the dimension of Silent Hill. A living purgatory if you will.

In regards to Pyramid Head *SPOILERS for the second SH game*

Pyramid Head is a manifestation of the games main character James' concience and guilt. James goes to Silent Hill after he recieves a letter from his dead wife saying that she is waiting for him there. Pyramid Head follows James wherever he goes and James doesn't know why. We are led to believe that James wife died of an illness when it was infact James himself who killed her. Pyramid Head is James, a form of his guilt over killing his wife which he doesn't recall until the end of the game

In regards to the rape thing, he is seen attempting to do innapropriate things to the mannequin monters in the game. He's just a sick mo'fo really smile

In the movie I think he's just another victim of Alessa's revenge, along with all of the other monsters.

Lord Shadow Z
Alice Krige scared the hell out of me in this film. I didn't even blink at the monsters but her character was pure evil.

SinginSophie
Every game (and now movies) follows the same rule of plot: The main characters are already dead when they enter Silent Hill. This is their own personal hell they must endure for whatever reason, some games getting weirder than others. The movie held a collective hell which all the towns folk that stayed (and later died) shared.
This is why the father's Silent Hill was shot in a very summer light, to show he was alive, and the mother and daughter's in a winter light, showing they are dead. The reason he could feel/hear them they way he did was because their souls/spirits are still there.

Aquitaine
Originally posted by hanxan
The way I understood it is that they are on different plains of the same reality, therefore they co exist.

Well, when Rose runs down a school hallway in the foggy world she passes her husband walking in the opposite direction and he smells her perfume. Its happening in real time, that scene shows your point to be 100% true.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.