The Ring

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starla
I just seen the preview of this movie on tv. It blew me away, I have never seen anything like this. Does anyone know anything about this movie?? I know it is going to scare the beejeebies out of me when I go see it, but I would like to know more about it, anyone?

jayride
NO. Thanks for the post though! big grin

BackFire349
looks like another feardotcom. there hasnt been a quality horror film in years.

finti
has it ever??? cant think of one at the moment

mah
Mariah carreys Glitter

Corran
laughing out loud

Tex
The Ring looks good, but dont let that fool you.
I'll wait for the reviews.

Fire
hehe, not seen anything about it, crappy belgian cinema

finti
cant you make up your own mind

try this one Fire
http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/the_two_towers/

Fire
huh this is about lotr

thought it was about a horror movie

Fire
btw finti I got that trailer already

just thought it was anotehr movie

BackFire349
there are many good horror movies. the only one you've probably seen is the shining though.

Ushgarak
Is this the re-make of the Japanese film 'Ring'? Because the original is DAMN good, if it is.

BackFire349
i dunno, but does it really matter, if it is a remake, remakes always blow anyways.

Fire
I dunno thought it was just another horror movie ush, but then finti post that TTT trailer so now I'm wondering

finti
no i`ve seen a lot but no one comes to mind.

BackFire349
texas chainsaw massacre is a masterpiece. have you seen that?

Billy The Kid
hehe....your favourite movie right? wink

I have not seen it...but I will rent it sometime.....promise ya smile

finti
I`ve seen it but wasnt all that impressed.

BackFire349
most influential horror movie ever made bar none.

finti
never cared too much about horror movies though. Aint there gonna be a new version of the Texas chainsaw massacre??

Ushgarak
Well, there are a number of problems in a US conversion of 'Ring'. No handy volcanoes in the US, for a start. Um, I think.

The original really WAS good, though. Definitely a film to watch at night, in the dark, on your own. Just seems silly during the day, with friends.

kychesu
is the original good even if you don't understand japanese?

Ushgarak
Very, very good. To be honest, the video (in the film) is even freakier if you don't understand Japanese.

kychesu
really? what part of understanding japanese messes it up?

finti
some info on this film would be cool, what is it all about?

Ushgarak
I did summarise it elsewhere, but I will do it here again.

The original Japanese 'Ring' had a premise as follows:

It is about a rumour that there is a video tape which, if watched, means that the viewer will die exactly a week later- and near the start of the film several students die in mysterious circumstances having reportedly seen said tape.

A young film student decides to investigate this rumour, theorising a serial killer is the reasoning behind it. Needless to say her invesitgations are a bad idea, and from the moment she sees the video onwards things get worse, and worse, and worse as the film ticks by day by day to her apparently inevitable death. She enlists the help of her ex-lover to try and unravel the secret behind the tape, which is very obviously rather supernatural, and it soon becomes clear that both main characters are not exactly normal either- and CERTAINLY not their young son.

The film is rather brilliant in the way it starts mundane and gets continuously more and more evil and oppressive, though once the main secrets are blown it ambles a bit until the conclusion which is rather intense.

It is VERY creepy, especially the video itself (which is nothing like how the rumours describe- the rumours say a woman points at the screen and says "You will die in one week!", but it is actually WAY more freaky than that!), and like I say, best watched late at night in the dark, not because it is directly scary but because of the deep feeling of unease it gives. The video is rarely seen and the power of the images in it is great.

The film spawned a sequel, which was interesting but not very good, and a prequel, Ring Zero, that I have not seen.

Now, as far as I know, the American version is relatively faithful (though the importance of a volcano in the original will probably have to be twiddled- rather more common in Japan!). One difference is in the meaning of the title- in the original I was hard-pressed to understand why it was called Ring, except for the fact that those who are going to die also receive a phone call, hence the 'Ring'. A bit vague, though (though the phone call, like the video, freaked the heck out of me...).

This time, I believe the tagline is that you see 'The Ring' before you die, so more direct this time.

Anyway, I can highly recommend the original, which is fully available on DVD (it's popularity in the west is WHY they are doing a re-make).

Julie
The only words I can think of to describe this movie are weird strange and suspenseful....it was not that scarey....
overall I suppose it was a decent movie...but not one I'd go out of my way to see again.

Ushgarak
Merging

Tex
I think my post was deleted during the merge?
Ush?

Anyways, I just said that I heard it was really good and hella scary, or something along those lines!

Ushgarak
Wrong area, Tex! You commented in the review thread.

Tex
I just love it when you talk dirty to me Ush! wink

Dim
The reference to the Ring in the remake is "before you die you see the Ring"..it's talking about a well....not a volcano.

pippy
This movie looks insane. *shiver* I dunno...I'm a big chicken. I have a super imagination and freak myself out. sad

Ushgarak
There was a well in the Japanese version as well.

Dim
a well as well?...intersting.

Julie
The movie was not scarey...decent to watch but not scary....suspenseful

Julie
Does anyone else hold the view that this was just a strange movie....a good enough entertainment flik to occupy a few hours but not worth seeing twice?

BackFire349
looks kinda dumb to me. the only part that looks at all creepy is when the girl comes out of the well and starts walking toward the camera in a menacing way...oOoOOoOooOoh

Julie
....really it wasn't bad.....just not worth seeing twice that's all

Ushgarak
Well, I liked the original alot, certainly enough to watch it more than once and I would be surprised if it were different with the new one

BackFire349
um, why was that highlighted as a spoiler? it shows the part in the commercial. smile

BackFire349
i heard the new one is just a bunch of generic jump scenes.

Ushgarak
Stupid commercials... well, I am playing it safe.

dillhole
the forbidden video in the original Japanese version was extremely mysterious and creepily surreal but i saw the same video in the new one and it looks pathetic in comparison. The remake is just a dumbed down blockbuster version. When will Americans learn that remakes are never good ?

Ushgarak
I wondered if the Video would be the weak spot. STILL haven't seen the new version!

kirstyw14
I think that the video in the remake is so much better and they use it so much more in the film than the original, where it's just about four clips. The remake keeps your attention better, but the original has the scariest bits so much scarier than the remake, and jus bulks out the rest with slightly more boring stuff.
If you like the original the ring try 'Dark Water', another Japanese thriller, a slow starter but absolutely terrifying and so tension building it's unwatchable! So much more scary than the Ring

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.