Duality: The ghetto and the privileged

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Czarina_Czarina
I know this "duality" thing is getting old. And this is nothing against anyone from the ghetto, please do not read it that way.

Btw, the title sounds like a chapter from Aesop Fables.

Ok, try this out for size. Go to your local expensive health food store, let's say Whole Foods or Fresh Fields or another organic food market, and notice the type of workers compared to the shoppers, they are like polar opposites. I noticed that most of the cashiers were mostly animated ghetto in appearance and attitude, and the shoppers seems to have an air of privilege (who cares about a person's air, it's just an air anyway, but it's worth noting in this discussion) No matter when I was in Orlando Fl, or Atlanta, GA, or DC, these Organic Food markets (the real expensive ones or larger ones) seem to have this duality, the cashiers are all really ghetto, almost exaggerated in behavior and looks, seeming to put a lot of emphasis on this type of image; and the customers usually have an air of privilege (women who I assume, either don't work for a living or have several servants/nannies, somehow, financially spoiled, not sure if that means they acutally have several nannies, and I can careless if someone has several nannies or financially spoiled, this is just part of the observation b/t these two groups).

Which makes me wonder. I grew up in a nerdy family, we were not into fashion and we weren't allowed to act cool or be part of a cool-crowd, we were all nerds, dads' orders. I worked as a cashier while in high school, so I know about working my way through school, as that was my parents' orders.

Group A: I recall seeing some of the folks in school (5% of the population), who talked really cool, fashionable, and ghetto. What made me wonder was the fact that the ones who either pretended to be ghetto or was bused into the school, they all wore expensive cloths and new about expensive stuff, didn't care about education, and seemed to dominate the social scene, but primarily seemed to amplify the "ghetto" talk/walk, and again, this was about 5% of the population at school.

Group B: And, I recall hearing some of the richer students talk as if they are from the ghetto, they knew more "street" lingo then I ever knew. Maybe their nannies were from the ghetto and teaching them a few words or ways.

So, there seems to be a social exercise b/t polar opposites, ghetto-population and the privileged.

Just go to the local (expensive) health food store, and I wonder if you would see what I have been noticing all these years. And even with rap music, it seems to be the image of the "white" bread who doesn't SEEM to know anything about the mean streets, and the mean streets, again, polar opposite duality argument.

Czarina_Czarina
I wonder about my fellow geeks, the ones who went to Engineering school with me: whites, blacks, Asians, Indian, Middle Eastern, and Hispanic, if they grew up like I did, middle class and had very little personal tutors (maybe a few weeks/months of tutoring), and without nannies, I wonder how someone like this group of nerds would feel when walking into a store that already has an established argument b/t the uber rich and the ghetto.

Again, I also imagine that the nannies used by the uber rich, they probably have had some "ghetto" nannies (or illegals to avoid paying taxes on them OR hispanic nannies, I'm not stating that the hispanic nannies are illegals, please don't read into it that way) who may have taught their kids the "proper" way to be cool and establish coolness in society. That's b/c I assume that if they can afford the nannies, they are also raised with personal tutors, which makes learning faster and therefore, they have ample time on their hands, more time on their hands then the students who are without personal tutors. So, now, with their free time, they can learn how to be "cool" and maybe that's why I have heard the upper class use words that I know are from the streets (as the ones from the streets are very loud, and even if you don't know the meaning of the word, you know were it derived, they let you know).

So, there maybe a feeling of stepping into an atmosphere that is different or unique for the geek who may only shop there b/c they were persuaded by research on the benefits of organic foods, not b/c they want to appear or take the place of the "uber" rich's hot spot.

Yet, I wonder how these ghetto cashiers would treat these geeks? I wonder.

Robtard
Answer: Spiritual

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Robtard

OMGoodness, you are so right, why? b/c duality is a spiritual argument, THaaaNkszzs for reminding me. (pauses for air). B/4 there was, there was oneness in ether, and daulity is the splitting or dividing from the whole, see, (pauses for air) and all that comes back into one while we are on earth, our search for balance or symmetry. wink3

Czarina_Czarina
sex, party and a guilty conscious; i think those three tools are used when manipulating the "uber" class, but i'm going on assumptions.

i know of the Moorehouse/AU folks, the guys would talk about the ghetto girls that they can easily lay and enjoy parties (they usually want certain people to play "ghetto" for them, while they play the upper class role, i've seen this happen to a couple of people, they put out that energy to be "ghetto" so that the other person can play "slave" and the original person plays "master", it's a caste energy using ghetto as the established order for the lower ones or ones they "chose" to act in that manner, this has nothing to do with race, btw. the reason why i know is b/c i am partially mixed black, and i am overweight, and that mixture had caused a few men to accidentally misunderstand that i am not playing a game with them, i am a hard working person, not someone to play a lower-caste role for their amusement, esp. when i would be the one teaching them math or science). i also know that these (ghetto) women end up pregno (as i use to volunteer and help clean up "problems" in certain areas in Atlanta via petitions/arguments/press releases) yet, b/c this is a social issue, the cycle starts all over again (and the race of the child can be any race or mixture), and it's not only the upper educated ones doing this to them, either way, they are usually without proper education, so they end up looking at people with an alarming sense of unfairness, which anyone can understand. if these same folks help raise the children of the wealthy (working as nanny), then i can see how they can get their hands on items that the middle class geeks aren't even able to afford. i can also see that via guilt, that these folks are probably praised as the "noble savage" of our culture, naturally innocent if it wasn't for civilization, so they soon get an entitlement that maybe well deserved. the kids who are raised with these nannies probably have a strong emotional tie to the talk/walk/culture, and a natural empathetic eye, more so then someone who would be in a classroom or library all day studying b/c they don't have access to personal tutors and have to work hard for their knowledge (not stating that those with tutors don't work hard, but certainly ones without tutors have to figure out things on their own, wastes a lot of time).

so, take someone with dark features or another minority, who was taught to avoid the cool crowd, focus on their studies, struggle to work hard; and that kid sacrifices and takes out loans, gets merit scholarships and continues working in life, all awhile, being taught to avoid the social cool crowd that feeds on emotional ups and downs...that same geek, how do they address the entitled-ghetto queen/king who feels that they served their society by raising a rich person's child and probably knows of the wealthy and maybe has access to wealthy attire? in the world of only one stage or one "stool", who would you think would knock off the other based on ego? The geek or the ghetto-queen/king?

Robtard

Imperial_Samura
Why don't you ask them, or do you live on an island devoid of interaction with your peers and equals? Or is it that they won't speak to you?

FeceMan
Wry Statement: Rich blacks should pay more in taxes than Caucasians.

Declaration: FeceMan has read through the original post twice, but he still finds it difficult to understand the point that Czarina_Czarina is trying to make.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by FeceMan
Wry Statement: Rich blacks should pay more in taxes than Caucasians.

Declaration: FeceMan has read through the original post twice, but he still finds it difficult to understand the point that Czarina_Czarina is trying to make.

There was a point?

Damn it, now I'll be tempted to read it again to try and work it out.

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Why don't you ask them, or do you live on an island devoid of interaction with your peers and equals? Or is it that they won't speak to you?

pretty void of interaction, not necessarily a bad thing, some professions allow for more socialable skills yet in other professions, people maybe a bit nerdy/social recluse.

Rogue Jedi
Answer: Spiritual is that a dude answer?

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Czarina_Czarina
pretty void of interaction, not necessarily a bad thing, some professions allow for more socialable skills yet in other professions, people maybe a bit nerdy/social recluse.

Ok, engineers just didn't strike me as a particularly reclusive lot, but perhaps it just depends on the type.

botankus
OMGoodness, you are so right, why? b/c duality is a spiritual argument, THaaaNkszzs for reminding me. (pauses for air). B/4 there was, there was oneness in ether, and daulity is the splitting or dividing from the whole, see, (pauses for air) and all that comes back into one while we are on earth, our search for balance or symmetry. wink3

Thank God you changed your sig picture. Ridding the Internet of that Darryl Hannah wannabe was long overdue. Now if you'd only have the courage to get a new avi. And yes I know I have Britney driving her discombobulated kid as my avi. At least it's an avi of a lunatic mother, which is better than an avi of a she-b!tch.

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by botankus
Thank God you changed your sig picture. Ridding the Internet of that Darryl Hannah wannabe was long overdue. Now if you'd only have the courage to get a new avi. And yes I know I have Britney driving her discombobulated kid as my avi. At least it's an avi of a lunatic mother, which is better than an avi of a she-b!tch.

I usually don't talk this way, but you really need to shut the blank up about what I decide to do. I'm really fed up with people like yourself.

The only reason why I changed that sig picture was b/c she looked like a stripper, and although I agree with that profession if it's used to solve a crime or murder or matter of the state, I don't think it's a great role model, and people from all ages are on this MB. It had nothing to do with her race, although, it was taken that way at one point.

Either way, if I am the type to complain about sigs and dictate who and what, then I could understand your gull, but at this point, you are out of line and that's putting it kindly for the sake of all sort of ages reading this MB.

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Ok, engineers just didn't strike me as a particularly reclusive lot, but perhaps it just depends on the type.

that's b/c you don't know that many engineers. maybe the younger generation of them are more outgoing in order to get away from the "nerd" "recluse" label that is usually associated with them. And I'm an Eletrical Engineer, notoriously known for being recluses out of all the engineering disciplines.

Imperial_Samura
that's b/c you don't know that many engineers.

Thank you for that generalisation.

Huh.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by botankus
And yes I know I have Britney driving her discombobulated kid as my avi. At least it's an avi of a lunatic mother, which is better than an avi of a she-b!tch.

I always thought it was a picture of the Earth, covered by cloud, from the sky.

Obviously I never looked at it properly.

botankus
I usually don't talk this way, but you really need to shut the blank up about what I decide to do. I'm really fed up with people like yourself.

The only reason why I changed that sig picture was b/c she looked like a stripper, and although I agree with that profession if it's used to solve a crime or murder or matter of the state, I don't think it's a great role model, and people from all ages are on this MB. It had nothing to do with her race, although, it was taken that way at one point.

Either way, if I am the type to complain about sigs and dictate who and what, then I could understand your gull, but at this point, you are out of line and that's putting it kindly for the sake of all sort of ages reading this MB.

You're dead wrong. It was a picture of a Darryl Hannah knockoff, and discussing it has more validity than any of your threads. I offer you two challenges. One, I challenge you to make a thread about seagull dung hitting people's windshields, and somehow incorporate slavery and race into one of your three initial posts. Second, I challenge you to defend your avis and sigs from now on. Failure to do so will result in me being fed up with yourself.

chithappens
And even with rap music, it seems to be the image of the "white" bread who doesn't SEEM to know anything about the mean streets, and the mean streets, again, polar opposite duality argument.

WTF is this sentence trying to accomplish?

ADarksideJedi
People of lower class always runs markets and gas stations and such.It is a low paying job.But I never thought anything of it.jm

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by chithappens
WTF is this sentence trying to accomplish?

Making the heads of anyone who tried to understand it explode?

chillmeistergen
Gross generalisations again, it's getting boring Czarina.

Were you such an idiot before your soul was switched?

Quiero Mota
I know this "duality" thing is getting old. And this is nothing against anyone from the ghetto, please do not read it that way.

Btw, the title sounds like a chapter from Aesop Fables.

Ok, try this out for size. Go to your local expensive health food store, let's say Whole Foods or Fresh Fields or another organic food market, and notice the type of workers compared to the shoppers, they are like polar opposites. I noticed that most of the cashiers were mostly animated ghetto in appearance and attitude, and the shoppers seems to have an air of privilege (who cares about a person's air, it's just an air anyway, but it's worth noting in this discussion) No matter when I was in Orlando Fl, or Atlanta, GA, or DC, these Organic Food markets (the real expensive ones or larger ones) seem to have this duality, the cashiers are all really ghetto, almost exaggerated in behavior and looks, seeming to put a lot of emphasis on this type of image; and the customers usually have an air of privilege (women who I assume, either don't work for a living or have several servants/nannies, somehow, financially spoiled, not sure if that means they acutally have several nannies, and I can careless if someone has several nannies or financially spoiled, this is just part of the observation b/t these two groups).

Which makes me wonder. I grew up in a nerdy family, we were not into fashion and we weren't allowed to act cool or be part of a cool-crowd, we were all nerds, dads' orders. I worked as a cashier while in high school, so I know about working my way through school, as that was my parents' orders.

Group A: I recall seeing some of the folks in school (5% of the population), who talked really cool, fashionable, and ghetto. What made me wonder was the fact that the ones who either pretended to be ghetto or was bused into the school, they all wore expensive cloths and new about expensive stuff, didn't care about education, and seemed to dominate the social scene, but primarily seemed to amplify the "ghetto" talk/walk, and again, this was about 5% of the population at school.

Group B: And, I recall hearing some of the richer students talk as if they are from the ghetto, they knew more "street" lingo then I ever knew. Maybe their nannies were from the ghetto and teaching them a few words or ways.

So, there seems to be a social exercise b/t polar opposites, ghetto-population and the privileged.

Just go to the local (expensive) health food store, and I wonder if you would see what I have been noticing all these years. And even with rap music, it seems to be the image of the "white" bread who doesn't SEEM to know anything about the mean streets, and the mean streets, again, polar opposite duality argument.

"Ghetto isn't just a location, it's a state of mind."
-Cora Daniels, author of Ghetto Nation.

^That's very true; you can be a multi-millionaire and still be ghetto.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
I'd like to hear more thoughts on this.

Smell the glove
Troll thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.