The Authority

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Shaper
This is a DC/ Wildstorm comic. One of the most controversial comic books actually IMO. Heard of it? A fan? Post away.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Lord Shaper
This is a DC/ Wildstorm comic. One of the most controversial comic books actually IMO. Heard of it? A fan? Post away.

what about it?

edit...

actually, I do have a question. I've only ever managed to get the Sleeper issues of Coup D'etat, which ran through the various Wildstorm titles, and re-opened the Authority as rulers of the US. Does anyone know of those are collected at all? or do I have to go get the individual issues.

willRules
Cool comic but I think there are already several threads on this yes

Solar
Read everyone of them and loved them all.

DigiMark007
Devoid of a clear purpose, but surprisingly the Authority has never had it's own thread so I'll allow it.

Not much to talk about at the moment though. It's been months since the last issue, with no end in sight for the wait. WorldStorm is officially dead before it begins in earnest.

Validus
Gene Ha announced awhile ago that Authority was hiatus. And yeah, between this and Wildcats, Worldstorm was basically dead from the start.

DigiMark007
Yeah, this is like the saddest thing in comics for me. I was thrilled about Worldstorm. Midnighter's solo run is NOT a suitable replacement (and the Grifter crossover was "meh"wink.

Akuki
By the way which comics have the first appearances of Midnighter and Apollo. I've read all the authority comics and loved them, and wanted to go read back on the characters.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Akuki
By the way which comics have the first appearances of Midnighter and Apollo. I've read all the authority comics and loved them, and wanted to go read back on the characters.

Wildstorm's Stormwatch series is the origin for most of the Authority's characters, including MN'er and Apollo (Volume 4 I believe). Getting a hold of some of the old Stormwatch stuff is hard (Volume 5 has been a particular challenge for me) but that's a good place to start....and Warren Ellis' stuff never really gets old. There's also backstory on a few storylines from more recent Authority stuff (like Bendix).

Akuki
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Wildstorm's Stormwatch series is the origin for most of the Authority's characters, including MN'er and Apollo (Volume 4 I believe). Getting a hold of some of the old Stormwatch stuff is hard (Volume 5 has been a particular challenge for me) but that's a good place to start....and Warren Ellis' stuff never really gets old. There's also backstory on a few storylines from more recent Authority stuff (like Bendix).
Allright I'll check it out, thanks for the tip.

Charlotte DeBel
Warren Ellis' issues of both Stormwatch and Authority were classic.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel

yea. his Stormwatch run kinda gets forgotten behind the Authority, but it's fantastic, action packed, clever comics.

Priest
The Authority freaking rocks.

Charlotte DeBel
And Ellis invented some truly original characters- Jack Hawksmoor, for example. The whole urbanopathy idea seems new- though from some point of view it's just Spiderman's "urban hero" idea taken to the nth degree...

Supermanluv

I'll save you some time and money and dont bother with Stormwatch. Don't get me wrong im a member of the Ellis panty sniffing club, but Stormwatch really is - meh. Try Planetary instead my friend !

tjcoady
Originally posted by Supermanluv
I'll save you some time and money and dont bother with Stormwatch. Don't get me wrong im a member of the Ellis panty sniffing club, but Stormwatch really is - meh. Try Planetary instead my friend !

I have read planetary. It got hard to follow when it reached that huge hiatus just as the series' pace started quickening towards the end. still a huge fan though.

I'd disagree. His stormwatch stuff is severely underrated in my opinion.

(well, so his is completely forgotten three issue run on Doctor Strange, volume 2).

Merlyn
I have always had a question, not so much about The Authority, but about the Wildstorm verse in general...

Is Wildstrom just one Universe, or is it more?

It seems like more, but I've never seen proof of such.

Thanks. smile

Galan007
Originally posted by Merlyn
I have always had a question, not so much about The Authority, but about the Wildstorm verse in general...

Is Wildstrom just one Universe, or is it more?

It seems like more, but I've never seen proof of such.

Thanks. smile Wildstorm = a Multiverse:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/Galan007/th_wildstormuniverse1.jpg

. smile

tjcoady
definitly a multiverse... where do you think the Bleed leads to?

Merlyn
Errr. embarrasment

Guess I should read more Wildstorm.... Thanks guys! smile

Galan007
Originally posted by Merlyn
Errr. embarrasment

Guess I should read more Wildstorm.... Thanks guys! smile There's actually quite a few people I've seen trying to argue that Wildstorm is only a Universe.

You at least asked about something you weren't sure of lol.

Validus
Thought I should post this.
-----------

Though it's been said to be on the Wildstorm table...somewhere by Jim Lee and others at DC, Authority artist Gene Ha said in his recent e-mailer, that he doesn't think his and Grant Morrison's collaboration on Wildstorm's premiere super team will continue - ever.

Ha wrote:

"First off, I don't think The Authority #3 by Grant Morrison and Gene Ha is ever coming out. Grant is busy redesigning the DC Universe and I've moved onto new projects. Most importantly, it seems that editor Scott Dunbier has been forced out of Wildstorm. There is no #3 script, there may never be a #3 script.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=130528

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by Validus
-----------

Though it's been said to be on the Wildstorm table...somewhere by Jim Lee and others at DC, Authority artist Gene Ha said in his recent e-mailer, that he doesn't think his and Grant Morrison's collaboration on Wildstorm's premiere super team will continue - ever.

Ha wrote:

"First off, I don't think The Authority #3 by Grant Morrison and Gene Ha is ever coming out. Grant is busy redesigning the DC Universe and I've moved onto new projects. Most importantly, it seems that editor Scott Dunbier has been forced out of Wildstorm. There is no #3 script, there may never be a #3 script.

F*ck them...

Validus, I liked your sig with Dante you have once much more. Why Nero?

Validus
F*ck them...

Validus, I liked your sig with Dante you have once much more. Why Nero?
Why Nero? <3 Devil Bringer and that latest trailer got me psyched.

Charlotte DeBel
Why Nero? <3 Devil Bringer and that latest trailer got me psyched.

Dante's still badass, though (instant styly switching is now canon, by the way). I don't like Nero much...

Validus
Dante's still badass, though (instant styly switching is now canon, by the way). I don't like Nero much...
Dante is still very much "the man". Both styles of gameplay (Dante and Nero) will likely be off the tizzy.

Charlotte DeBel
Dante is still very much "the man". Both styles of gameplay (Dante and Nero) will likely be off the tizzy.

I don't like Nero too much, the whole fuss around him and the rumor that he replaces Dante as the main protagonist of the series irritates me much.

Damn Grant Morrison...the Authority series went comatose due to him, so the Authority fans are discussing Dantesmile

DigiMark007
-----------

Ha wrote:

Cock.

no expression

They better find a new writer. Why the hell does it need to be those 2?

Zebedee
Cock.

no expression

They better find a new writer. Why the hell does it need to be those 2?

Anger must be suppressed, but I can't....help.......it....

Damn them!!!!

Shades of Eclipse anyone?

DigiMark007
Guys. Good news.

The Authority has a series again!

It's called Authority Prime. And unlike the failed first 2 issues of Worldstorm (which Wildstorm seems to have scrapped altogether) it actually has the Authority doing stuff, and promises a showdown with the remnants of Stormwatch in issue #2.

Best. Comic. Day. In a while.

Switch 07
Guys. Good news.

It's called Authority Prime. And unlike the failed first 2 issues of Worldstorm (which Wildstorm seems to have scrapped altogether) it actually has the Authority doing stuff, and promises a showdown with the remnants of Stormwatch in issue #2.

Best. Comic. Day. In a while.

So happy. love

DigiMark007
Also just bought Midnighter: Armageddon. It seems like maybe they remade the now-defunct WorldStorm idea into Armageddon (with an obvious tie-in to the Cpt. Atom arc with the same subtitle), because Void was once again involved (though only briefly).

But it's linked to the whole Wildstorm universe a lot more closely than MN'ers solo series (which I actually grew bored with), and a bunch of other people/teams will be involved, so between the Authority relaunch and this, I couldn't be more pleased.

....makes me wonder if issues #1-2 of the now-dead Authority series are non-canon now.

Soljer
Yeah, I picked up Armageddon. Nothing too great. erm.

Bransolute
Guys. Good news.

Best. Comic. Day. In a while. I was going to get it, and then I'm like:
"It's Authority. no expression"

Is it any good?

Soljer
Originally posted by Bransolute
I was going to get it, and then I'm like:
"It's Authority. no expression"

Is it any good?

It's not bad. But it leaves a bit to be desired. I don't think its as good as the previous volumes.

Switch 07
You mean its out?

Ah issue one is.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Soljer
It's not bad. But it leaves a bit to be desired. I don't think its as good as the previous volumes.

You're basing this on 1 issue? Kinda early for an exit poll, dontcha think?

Soljer
You're basing this on 1 issue? Kinda early for an exit poll, dontcha think?

You can't tell when one issue isn't up to snuff compared to any other issue written?

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Soljer
You can't tell when one issue isn't up to snuff compared to any other issue written?

Sure, but it didn't send warnings signals off in my head either. I think you're overstating it...and anyone who's also a fan of the old Stormwatch stuff is thrilled with the initial plotline.

I suppose after CA: Armageddon (our most recent arc), anything seems like good Authority writing. But they've had some low-ish spots in their history throughout the first couple volumes of stuff along with the good (Vol. 1 when Quitely took over artwork was kinda bad), and I see no reason to think this isn't a pretty decent renewal for them. Not everything can be as brilliant as Warren Ellis or as tightly plotted as the Revolution arc.

But again, one opinion.

tjcoady
I liked Authority: Prime... Gage is always good in my book, and I'm pretty excited for a "lost treasure/horror of Henry Bendix" story, especially because it features both the Authority and some of my favorite members of Stormwartch (YES! JACKSON KING IN BATTLESUIT! AWESOME!)

Midnighter Armaggedon was decent, and I'll definitely keep reading it. Not an immediate perfect hook, but pretty good.

Again, I'm sure an Authority fan knows this- I've read every issue of the Authority more than once, but during Coup D'etat, the storyline ran into the other Worldstorm titles- I've read the Sleeper one, where Tao deliberately guides the world governments into recovering and experimenting with a piece of Bleed technology that ends up being a bomb- but are the other titles that lead into Coup D'etat collected? I imagine there's a Gen13 one... and I guess a Wildcats one? What am I missing? are they collected in a TPB? I've never seen one, but I'm sure they're somehow collected.

DigiMark007
Yeah, they packaged them together. An Amazon search for Coup D'etat should turn it up, and it shouldn't be any more than $10-12. Not my favorite story arc, but it sets up the later things in Volume 2 and the Revolution arc.

[BAW]Endrict
Coup d'Etat involveds Sleeper, Stormwatch: Team Achilles, Wildcats 3.0 and The Authority.

I bought the book for 6 bucks.

The only single issues I have are Revolution arc and Hitch era. I bought all of the books I can find...still missing the first two.

tjcoady
Yeah, they packaged them together. An Amazon search for Coup D'etat should turn it up, and it shouldn't be any more than $10-12. Not my favorite story arc, but it sets up the later things in Volume 2 and the Revolution arc.

thanks- I followed the Authority as it came out, but not any of the other concurrent Wildstorm titles, so when we jumped to Revolution, I was a little surprised that the Authority had suddenly conquered the country. I thought it was a "in media res" in kinda thing.

DigiMark007
Bump because I just read #6 of the Prime arc.

I realize I'm a Doctor fanboy, but I feel like this is a legitimate gripe...

...mindrape?! Seriously?! That's how they had Bendix deal with Habib?

Mind you, this is the same Doctor who was stated to be immune to telepaths (Jackson King) only a few issues ago. By the same writer. Hell, Bendix had King's powers, so it's the same exact power set that he suddenly lost immunity to.

They established Jenny isn't psi-proof...fine. But it's not even a new writer ignoring past powers. It's the same guy contradicting himself, and also contradicting Doctor's entire history. The writer could have dealt with Habib a bunch of other ways. Same as earlier in the arc and have Jenny fight him. Keep him gone with the natural disasters. Etc.

no expression

Definition of PIS.

Otherwise, not a horrible arc. I have a bad taste in my mouth about it because of that, but it was a fun romp with some of my Stormwatch favorites as well, so I didn't mind it until 6.

tjcoady
Authority Prime had a fun '90s nostalgia vibe going for it; Jackson King in his crazy-ass battle suit, and the rest of the Stormwatch team. I've missed a lot of them.

Bendix is a bit overused in the Authority... he's pretty much their only recurring villain (seeing as how this is the third, and apparently not the last time he's going to be killed). He was suitable threatening in this though.

The fact that Bendix had the powers of countless superhumans could be used as a possible explanation for why Habib was overcome through telepathy. Bendix was doing things like mentally blocking out Stormwatch teleportation, the Carrier's doors, and the Authority's mindlinks to each other. So maybe King was just wrong about the Doctor's telepathic blocks- he had just never encountered a telepath that strong.

DigiMark007
Just seems cheap when it's the exact same powerset. If you say he's immune, you shouldn't change your mind 3 issues later. I realize he was using them > King, but Doctor's a powerful telepath to begin with. It makes no sense at all.

Considering there have been about a dozen ways prior to this (and likely dozens more possible ways) that Doctor has been removed via PIS so that he didn't end the fight in seconds (and all of them more believable) I'm prepared to chalk it up to lack of creativity on the writer's part.

And I'll cosign the Bendix comment. They could use maybe 1-2 other recurring villains. As villains go, Bendix is sweet. But there's maybe only 1-2 other memorable villains in their history otherwise (if that). Some other WS team needs to grow a matter manipulator so that they fight other teams on a regular basis. We still have yet to see a meaningful fight between Majestic and...anyone on Authority. And it's because of Jenny and Doctor.

Endrict Nuul
Just seems cheap when it's the exact same powerset. If you say he's immune, you shouldn't change your mind 3 issues later. I realize he was using them > King, but Doctor's a powerful telepath to begin with. It makes no sense at all..

laughing It's almost like Sentry "stalemating Galactus" but losing to Hulk. In comics there will always be inconsistent characters. But its even worst when the same writer does it. stick out tongue

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
laughing It's almost like Sentry "stalemating Galactus" but losing to Hulk. In comics there will always be inconsistent characters. But its even worst when the same writer does it. stick out tongue

In the same story arc. Against the same powers.

no expression

Yeah, crap writing of characters had never really hit home with me until now, since my faves are generally treated well. Maybe not great, but I've never seen one get writer-raped like this before.

tjcoady
Well, he does utterly ruin King with his own powers, yelling about how King is afraid of using them to their full extent, out of fear of turning into his father. And maybe he got some other telepath's powers too. But yeah, why couldn't Bendix have done something like knock him out using super-speed or something? It would have taken all of an extra panel to clear that inconsistency up. So I know what you mean.

Still, Authority: Prime was pretty good. Do you know if there's any other Authority stuff (other than Secret History: Hawksmoor) coming out?

DigiMark007
Originally posted by tjcoady
Well, he does utterly ruin King with his own powers, yelling about how King is afraid of using them to their full extent, out of fear of turning into his father. And maybe he got some other telepath's powers too. But yeah, why couldn't Bendix have done something like knock him out using super-speed or something? It would have taken all of an extra panel to clear that inconsistency up. So I know what you mean.

Still, Authority: Prime was pretty good. Do you know if there's any other Authority stuff (other than Secret History: Hawksmoor) coming out?

Not at the moment. Dreamwar starts in a couple weeks, and MN'er has his ongoing series.

And I don't have such a problem with the King stuff. The writer (through Bendix) claimed that he was holding back, and he never gives us reason to doubt it within the arc (even though it's not the kindest to King himself). The difference is, he didn't do a 180 after establishing that character trait....which is exactly what happened with the two feats from the Doctor.

Hell, I'd be happy if I were a Jackson King fan...some other writer might take that and run with it, giving him even greater power and better feats.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.