Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Adam_PoE
Thoughts?

Melcórë
Sounds dubious to me.

Alliance
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Thoughts?

Who doesn't have crises of faith?

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Alliance

Marchello?

Although I guess the question is, if true, can a crisis of faith really be defined as such if it lasted nearly a "half-century".

Though it begs the question also, if true, how many other hard line members of faith don't "feel" anything yet choose to remain?

Alliance
If she had doubts about her faith, it only meant that she understood her faith enough to see it for what it was.

She likely stayed because she got fulfillment.

People are simply shocked that you don't need god to do good works.

Adam_PoE

Saints.

Alliance
How do you know this?

Imperial_Samura
If she had doubts about her faith, it only meant that she understood her faith enough to see it for what it was.

She likely stayed because she got fulfillment.

Oh, I agree, and I generally I view those who are brave enough to have doubts and face them more favourably then those who live by the "no doubts ever, if I have doubts I must not be a good "whatever" code.

I just meant that the article didn't seem to be indicating she was feeling religiously fulfilled with the whole "no presence of God in half a century", fulfilled as a person certaintly though.

Exactly.

Alliance
Maybe she didn't want the religious fulfillment.

I've done most of my charity work thorugh churches. I get zero religious fulfillment out of it. It wasn't the issue for me, maybe it just wasn't for her either.

Imperial_Samura
Maybe she didn't want the religious fulfillment.

I've done most of my charity work thorugh churches. I get zero religious fulfillment out of it. It wasn't the issue for me, maybe it just wasn't for her either.

I get what you are saying.

AngryManatee

JIA roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alliance
Does JIA actually have faith? Or the shell of what faith should be?

lord xyz
As far as I know, Mother Teresa is a ***** who loves to make people suffer. So if their was a God, and God was good, Mother Teresa was far from him.

DigiMark007
One of the more popular ways in which people try to undermine well-known religious (and cultural) figures is by starting rumors of a personal crisis. For non-religious rumor-starters, these figures have a crisis of faith. For the religious, the deathbed coversation is a popular urban myth. The victims include (off the top of my head...the actual list is much longer) Charles Darwin, Thomas Aquinas, Napoleon, now, it seems, Mother Teresa.

Mother Teresa was a person of great strength. If she didn't believe in something, she would have stated it...as it is, all of her life and her writings suggests that she was a firm believer.

Be careful what you read.

wink

Alliance
That seems wrong given this scenario.

She simply had crises of faith because she was a woman.

Storm
Originally posted by DigiMark007
One of the more popular ways in which people try to undermine well-known religious (and cultural) figures is by starting rumors of a personal crisis. For non-religious rumor-starters, these figures have a crisis of faith. For the religious, the deathbed coversation is a popular urban myth. The victims include (off the top of my head...the actual list is much longer) Charles Darwin, Thomas Aquinas, Napoleon, now, it seems, Mother Teresa.

Mother Teresa was a person of great strength. If she didn't believe in something, she would have stated it...as it is, all of her life and her writings suggests that she was a firm believer.

wink
Mother Teresa is often called a living saint, while in reality, she has not been free from controversy.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Storm
Mother Teresa is often called a living saint, while in reality, she has not been free from controversy.

Famous figures of any sort rarely are. The bevy of evidence for her faith seems irrefutable unless we have such a selective memory and are open to a largely speculative controversy. She doesn't strike me as the lying type....conflicted, perhaps. She's only human, after all....everyone has a crisis of faith at some point. But not to the point of abject nihilism, which is what the article seems to insinuate.

FeceMan
Statement: It is the atheist version of the JesusIsAlive thread about Darwin and madness.

leonheartmm
i believe she must have had crisies of faith. more than once. that is the nature of organised relegion.

however, i doubt she would ever have openly announced it. although testimony from peers and associates/friends, IF it is true, might be sumwhat concrete.

SpearofDestiny
Time Magazine has also brought the Crises of Faith in Mother Teresa, her letters to her advisors and clergical superiors, about how she yearned for God to answer her, but she never recieved an answer from him.

She then went on to beleive that her pain was remniscient of Jesus' pain, and considered her personal anguish a blessing. This is when she began to honor suffering as an identity of God, and beleived that Jesus suffers through her.

But Alliance is right. People, in thier massive ignorance, are shocked to see that a person can do great things without knowing or beleiving in God.

leonheartmm
sounds like rasputin. glorifying suffering i mean.

SpearofDestiny
Originally posted by leonheartmm
sounds like rasputin. glorifying suffering i mean.

I truly beleive she meant well. I just find that her stance on suffering is a bit deluded.

DigiMark007
Rasputin was sweet. I've known Sherman tanks that died easier than that man.

no expression

Devil King
Originally posted by DigiMark007

I agree with much of what you say here. As Alliance said, I think it's the responsibility of those individuals of great faith to have doubt. It's how they eventually come to terms with their faith.

The unfortunate part is that this faith tends to lead to a certainty that simply isn't valid. People who have their faith tested and come out on the other side with resolve are one thing. People who've been tested and come out on the other side with a sense of entitlement or absolute certainty are the ones who've learned nothing.

Mamma T seems to be the latter of the two.

Anyone who grew up Catholic (or christian, in general) and hasn't had a crisis of faith, has no real faith.

It's the crisis that makes you a better christian.

leonheartmm
rasputin is one of the few rather negetive characters, that i actually admire. and well, harder isnt the word for his death. he was willful enough to actually try and fight against his fate of death. psychic power involved or not is a whole different thing though. lol.

{its a bit like how i sumwhat admire lord voldermort and some villians in media. although the later are not real}

Jim Reaper
87 years on this planet will test anyones resolve.

DigiMark007
Just found this. Penn and Teller's "Bullsh*t" show sometimes misses badly, but more often than not they have a point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q1m-8npkJ4&NR=1

Also this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmAEPrALVjM&mode=related&search=

Shin_Nikkolas
To never question anything is ignorance.

To question and come out with a firm resolve is intelligence.

My opinion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.