Are cuss words excluded from the 1st Amendment?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JLred
i couldn't find a thread relating to this, but...

are they?

if you say them in school you can get in big trouble and one time a security guard heard me and said if i cussed one more time in front of him he was gonna cite me and give me a fine...can they do that?

what do you think?

Menetnashté
Originally posted by JLred

are they?

if you say them in school you can get in big trouble and one time a security guard heard me and said if i cussed one more time in front of him he was gonna cite me and give me a fine...can they do that?

what do you think?
Time and place rule applies, so if you're on school grounds you can't cuss. Just like you can't yell "Fire!" in a filled movie theater. Or anything.

JLred

Menetnashté
yeah i understand but i'd rather use cuss words then do something that might harm something regarding a topic at school...i understand saying fire or something else in school but really like the word f.uck, i use it mostly like an adjective and the teachers go crazy and call security..i think they overdo it on that...
Yeah they do overdue it but not much you can do about it, their rules so... whatever.

JLred
so shouldn't the first amendment allow me to explain myself with a word associated with extreme anger?

but then if this was allowed then so many other things would have to be allowed...

Fishy
so shouldn't the first amendment allow me to explain myself with a word associated with extreme anger?

but then if this was allowed then so many other things would have to be allowed...

Why the hell are you calling them cuss words? That's like saying Oh my gosh, fudge or whatever instead of the "normal" words. Not to mention incredibly annoying.

Anyways obviously not, these laws have been made and should have been challenged with your constitution. Apparently people didn't see a conflict and made the laws.

Now personally I am very much against limiting the use of words like these or speech in general, with the possible exception of insulting or inciting others to criminal behavior, so I think you should just be allowed to do whatever the hell you want. But obviously your law makers do not agree.

ADarksideJedi
Not sure if they are but they should be!JM

Victor Von Doom
yeah i understand but i'd rather use cuss words then do something that might harm something regarding a topic at school...i understand saying fire or something else in school but really like the word f.uck, i use it mostly like an adjective and the teachers go crazy and call security..i think they overdo it on that...

How do you use f*** as an adjective? I'm interested.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
How do you use f*** as an adjective? I'm interested. I'm guessing "You're a bad f***ing teacher who needs to sort their f***ing head out".

StyleTime
Well, they are excluded from the 1st Amendment in the sense that they aren't explicitly mentioned.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Fishy
Why the hell are you calling them cuss words? That's like saying Oh my gosh, fudge or whatever instead of the "normal" words. Not to mention incredibly annoying.

At least we could call them "profanity" which adds a certain air. Cuss sounds a bit like something people "does while they is a fussin' an' a feudin'"

JLred
Originally posted by Fishy

Anyways obviously not, these laws have been made and should have been challenged with your constitution. Apparently people didn't see a conflict and made the laws.

Now personally I am very much against limiting the use of words like these or speech in general, with the possible exception of insulting or inciting others to criminal behavior, so I think you should just be allowed to do whatever the hell you want. But obviously your law makers do not agree.
well i was in a hurry to go to the restroom and i couldn't think of anything else....embarrasment

inimalist
oh no, teenagers don't have mobility rights, lets start a federal case /sigh

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by lord xyz
I'm guessing "You're a bad f***ing teacher who needs to sort their f***ing head out".

Well, that's ****ing. I wondered about f***.

Violent2Dope
In case you were not aware of this at school legally kids lose some of their rights.

Creshosk
Well, that's ****ing. I wondered about f***. You mean like a **** buddy?

ragesRemorse

what do you think?

Shit if i know confused

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Creshosk
You mean like a **** buddy?

Possibly something along the lines, though that is probably a noun.

Strangelove

are they?

what do you think? Using curse words does not violate the First Amendment, but there are times and places where using them is inappropriate. Much like slurs or hate speech. Not illegal, but certainly inappropriate.

dadudemon
Possibly something along the lines, though that is probably a noun.

I remember something about that in English class.

However, the way Creshosk used the word was an adjective; it defined "what kind". If I can remember correctly, if Creshosk had used a hyphen, it then becomes something like a compound word noun. What this means is that the so-called adjective does not make a complete noun (In the context in which it is being used) without the appended noun and the noun also does not make a complete noun without the appended adjective.

As it stands, thought, the way Creshosk used the word f**k, it was an adjective.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by dadudemon
I remember something about that in English class.

However, the way Creshosk used the word was an adjective; it defined "what kind". If I can remember correctly, if Creshosk had used a hyphen, it then becomes something like a compound word noun. What this means is that the so-called adjective does not make a complete noun (In the context in which it is being used) without the appended noun and the noun also does not make a complete noun without the appended adjective.

As it stands, thought, the way Creshosk used the word f**k, it was an adjective.

**** buddy is a complete unit, like straw man.

So you do not remember correctly. A hyphen isn't necessary to make a compound noun.

dadudemon
**** buddy is a complete unit, like straw man.

So you do not remember correctly. A hyphen isn't necessary to make a compound noun.

True...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_word

Forgive me...it has been awhile since the sixth grade when I learned the "Shirley Method".

JLred
Originally posted by dadudemon
True...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_word

Forgive me...it has been awhile since the sixth grade when I learned the "Shirley Method".

okay but stop calling me Shirley

Darth_Erebus2
Anything that offends someone is excluded from the second amendment. Political correctness is now the law of the land.

JLred
Originally posted by Darth_Erebus2
Anything that offends someone is excluded from the second amendment. Political correctness is now the law of the land.

that explains a lot..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.