Anoon & Yoda vs. Mace Windu & Dooku

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Se7in
Anoon is in the same shape he was just before his fight with Maul.
Yoda, Mace, and Dooku are all as seen in RotS.

Lightsaber only.

The fight takes place in the Geonosian Arena.

vader11
Maul beat Anoon, right? So he may be the first to fall here. So I believe team 2 wins. Mace can hold off Yoda while Dooku beat Anoon.

tulakhordpwns
I agree.

darthsith19
Saber duel only, eh? Close, but Dooku and Mace take it. Either of them could last a looooong time against Yoda, while the other beats Anoon. Anoon won't go down easy, but he'll definately lose before Yoda finishes his opponent. Then, Dooku and Mace together pwn Yoda.

kiddo44
Originally posted by darthsith19
Saber duel only, eh? Close, but Dooku and Mace take it. Either of them could last a looooong time against Yoda, while the other beats Anoon. Anoon won't go down easy, but he'll definately lose before Yoda finishes his opponent. Then, Dooku and Mace together pwn Yoda.

Agreed, if it was all out though, Anoon would be beaten quickly by Dooku with the force.

Se7in
The victors are clear then. The main reason I made this thread is because of everyone's recent fascination with Anoon since he supposedly was the greatest lightsaber user of the PT Jedi Order. Good to see people aren't taking that quote too seriously.

darthsith19
He's probably second best with a blade as far as the time of TPM goes, the author of Shadow Hunter likely didn't know how good Yoda was with a blade, since Shadow Hunter was released 2001, and we hadn't seen Yoda use a blade before that.

Gideon
Anoon's no pushover. It's possible that in pure skill and technique, he is superior to most (if not all) Jedi.

Se7in
Originally posted by Gideon
Anoon's no pushover. It's possible that in pure skill and technique, he is superior to most (if not all) Jedi.

Yet he killed himself in a futile attempt after giving up in a fight against Maul, who a Padawan Obi-Wan defeated.

darthsith19
Originally posted by Se7in
Yet he killed himself in a futile attempt after giving up in a fight against Maul, who a Padawan Obi-Wan defeated.
Yet, he was not at full strength when he fought Kenobi (as stated in The New Essential Guide to Characters), and Kenobi got lucky after Maul had already beaten him. Anoon, on the other hand, fought a full-strength Maul, and was intelligent enough to realise that Maul was strong, so he sacrificed his life in an attempt that veyr possibly could have killed Maul.

In reality, Bondara would beat TTPm Kenobi pretty badly, though Kenobi would put up a bit of a fight.

Se7in
Yet, he was not at full strength when he fought Kenobi (as stated in The New Essential Guide to Characters), and Kenobi got lucky after Maul had already beaten him. Anoon, on the other hand, fought a full-strength Maul, and was intelligent enough to realise that Maul was strong, so he sacrificed his life in an attempt that veyr possibly could have killed Maul.

In reality, Bondara would beat TTPm Kenobi pretty badly, though Kenobi would put up a bit of a fight.

How was Maul not at his full strength?

If I can recall, neither were Kenobi and Qui-Gon considering they fought their way into the hanger through a battalion of droids in the streets of Theed. Add to this that Kenobi, after getting knocked two-stories down onto his back, was virtually sprinting to catch up to Maul and Jinn, I doubt he was in top-fighting shape either.

And Kenobi didn't "get lucky." Maul made a stupid mistake at not killing an opponent when he had the chance and also made a mistake at underestimating an opponent in a disadvantaged position. He lost because of himself, not because of sheer luck.

darthsith19
It says he isn't in The New Essential Guide to Characters. I've heard that in the Darth maul Journal he gets held-up while leaving Tatooine by Tusken Raiders and Pirates and he hurts his leg.

Yes, but Maul wasn't at full strength even before the duel started. Fighting into a hanger wouldn
t tire you out that much, that was like what, 1/50 of how much Kenobi and Skywalker fight droids on Geonosis? All they really did was protect Padme, which was deflecting blaster bolts, not so tiring.

Exactly, Kenobi got lucky that Maul got cocky. And seriously, who in the right mind wouldn't be cocky in that situation? Vader? Please, he'd have been cocky as hell. Palpatine? He'd have likely started ranting about how Kenobi was no match for the power of the dark side. Honestly, no Sith in that position wouldn't have been cocky.

Se7in
It says he isn't in The New Essential Guide to Characters. I've heard that in the Darth maul Journal he gets held-up while leaving Tatooine by Tusken Raiders and Pirates and he hurts his leg.

Alright, you've proved up. Point considered.

Kenobi and Skywalker were both MUCH more experienced than Kenobi and Qui-Gon were in TPM. Kenobi and Skywalker in ROTS were practicing totally different styles, versus totally different enemies, with completely different numbers and tactics. You can't compare them.

So? Just because other people would act the same, doesn't mean it isn't a disadvantage for the fighter. Character-induced stupidity is always on the part of the person who exhibits it, you can't blame enobi's luck for Maul's actions, that doesn't make sense. Maul is stupid for his own actions, period.

Gideon
Se7in, I personally (and, please, take no offense) find that argument rather ridiculous.

Are you trying to insinuate that Obi-Wan Kenobi -- as of The Phantom Menace -- was more powerful and more skilled than Darth Maul, "one of the deadliest Sith apprentices in history"; a Sith Lord who "pushed his physical and Force-assisted abilities to the utmost"? I rather, rather doubt it. In fact, the only time Obi-Wan was able to come close to standing on equal terms with the Sith Lord was when he gave into his anger. Note that this similar technique allowed Anakin Skywalker to overcome Count Dooku, despite the fact that the older Sith Lord was able to (though only barely) hold himself and an older Obi-Wan Kenobi at bay.

I'm sorry, but no. Maul's arrogance (not to be confused with stupidity) does not make him any less skilled. He is more powerful and more dangerous than Obi-Wan, and it's not debateable. Anakin was arrogant and was dealt a terrible defeat at his master's hands, and yet when it comes down to pure skill, he was much stronger and greater than Obi-Wan.

Arrogance is simply not a detraction of skill.

Se7in
Se7in, I personally (and, please, take no offense) find that argument rather ridiculous.

Are you trying to insinuate that Obi-Wan Kenobi -- as of The Phantom Menace -- was more powerful and more skilled than Darth Maul, "one of the deadliest Sith apprentices in history"; a Sith Lord who "pushed his physical and Force-assisted abilities to the utmost"? I rather, rather doubt it. In fact, the only time Obi-Wan was able to come close to standing on equal terms with the Sith Lord was when he gave into his anger. Note that this similar technique allowed Anakin Skywalker to overcome Count Dooku, despite the fact that the older Sith Lord was able to (though only barely) hold himself and an older Obi-Wan Kenobi at bay.

I'm sorry, but no. Maul's arrogance (not to be confused with stupidity) does not make him any less skilled. He is more powerful and more dangerous than Obi-Wan, and it's not debateable. Anakin was arrogant and was dealt a terrible defeat at his master's hands, and yet when it comes down to pure skill, he was much stronger and greater than Obi-Wan.

Arrogance is simply not a detraction of skill.

Oh, I take no offense Gideon, this is a debate forum, and I respect anyone who can prove or refute statements and points without throwing insults.

The thing I've noticed in many of these debates is that people are beginning to take quotes and put them before actual accomplishments and feats.

If someone made the thread TPM Obi-Wan vs. Maul, would you say Maul? No, because the event has happened, and Obi-Wan won. Now the prior injury is indeed a valid reason for him to be less effective in their fight, but even so, if he does get cocky and underestimate a disadvantaged enemy WHILE with a sustained injury and half of his normal weapon left, then he is stupid.

I think you all are thinking pure skill allows people to win. It doesn't. The mindset, styles, and habits of a person can also be a factor in winning, which many duels in the movies have shown us.

Perhaps you believe that Maul lost due to circumstance. Who is to say circumstance won't allow him to lost again? Duels don't happen in perfect conditions, terrain and the character's style of fighting and philosophies HEAVILY effect fights.

Gideon
That's the thing. We ultimately -- unless we're dealing with things like Mace vs. Sidious -- have to go on what each side is capable of rather than individual circumstances. Sidious lost to Mace due to Vaapad and Shatterpoint, and though he is "more powerful", nothing says he could win if they fought again. Maul's flaw was a psychological one, something that can be rectified and amended.

So, yes. Obi-Wan vs. Maul? I'd give it to Maul. Any day.

Se7in
That's the thing. We ultimately -- unless we're dealing with things like Mace vs. Sidious -- have to go on what each side is capable of rather than individual circumstances. Sidious lost to Mace due to Vaapad and Shatterpoint, and though he is "more powerful", nothing says he could win if they fought again.

Let me get this clear. Because Mace had an advantage in their duel due to something that is principle about his fighting style, then he may lose that advantage in another fight? I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

What?

That defeats the purpose of debating then. If we're going to just forget about a character's flaws are just because they can be changed, and virtually anything can, then there's no purpose of even debating it.

Think about it.

Faunus

Arrogance is simply not a detraction of skill.No, but it detracts heavily from one's effectiveness as a fighter. Maul was decidedly more experienced and skilled in combat than Kenobi, but his arrogance kept him from doing what a more level-headed warrior would do. Anakin had the same problem. He was easily one of the most skilled and powerful duelists in the Order, but his arrogance and ridiculous ego kept him from being able to match Obi-Wan's limitless patience and Jedi reserve. Both Sith Lords - while technically more skilled than their opponent - were too arrogant to take advantage of their "superiority."

No, it's not. Maul's flaw was a character trait, like Obi-Wan's patience, or Luke's recklessness. And such traits - when regarding a character from a specific era - do not change from one fight to the next for the convenience of an argument. Maul will always have his arrogant, reckless side as a potential risk to himself.

Lightsnake
Originally posted by Faunus
No, but it detracts heavily from one's effectiveness as a fighter. Maul was decidedly more experienced and skilled in combat than Kenobi, but his arrogance kept him from doing what a more level-headed warrior would do. Anakin had the same problem. He was easily one of the most skilled and powerful duelists in the Order, but his arrogance and ridiculous ego kept him from being able to match Obi-Wan's limitless patience and Jedi reserve. Both Sith Lords - while technically more skilled than their opponent - were too arrogant to take advantage of their "superiority."

No, it's not. Maul's flaw was a character trait, like Obi-Wan's patience, or Luke's recklessness. And such traits - when regarding a character from a specific era - do not change from one fight to the next for the convenience of an argument. Maul will always have his arrogant, reckless side as a potential risk to himself.
Maul showed that in one fight against an opponent of far lesser skill, in an extremely compromised position and took a short time to gloat-fatal error, but it's not a mistake he's ever made in any one of his numerous other fights against:
Anoon Bondara and Darsha Assant in Shadow Hunter-he even gives Lorn Pavan a quick death and Lorn's just a smuggler
The Black Sun guards and Vigos...not to mention Alexei Garyn in 'Darth Maul' when he could have taken his time to kill Alexei slowly in response for slicing his hand wide open
The first victim of his double bladed lightsaber whose name escapes me-he was a Twi'lek Jedi Master.

Maul disregarded Obi-wan as a threat because Obi-wan was so much weaker than himself and a Padawan to boot, whose master had just died. In most, if not all of his other fights, Maul is quick, efficient and brutal and he kills people quickly

Gideon
You misunderstand. I am arguing that only in rare circumstances should the "lesser" opponent's victory (in several cases, brought on by plot-device or dramatization) constitute in all versus matches. Mace Windu is weaker than Darth Sidious; this is nearly irrefutable. The fact remains that Sidious initially held the advantage, he was faster and stronger -- only delving into Vaapad allowed Mace to duel the Sith Lord on even terms. And then, using the shatterpoint charism was Mace able to exploit a weakness in Palpatine's fighting form. But never throughout the fight was he ever stronger than Palpatine.

Still, Mace's Vaapad and shatterpoint charism will be available to him in every duel. Only in cases such as these do the "lesser" opponents have a nearly-guarenteed victory.

Obi-Wan Kenobi, on the other hand, did not duel Darth Maul on even terms. He was the lesser and was only spared because of Maul's arrogance, and that Kenobi performed an unpredictable move. Never was he close to being as skilled as Maul himself; the Phantom Menace novelization directly states that Obi-Wan is not as skilled or as powerful as Qui-Gon is, and we saw how comfortably Maul defeated Qui-Gon.

In a contest of skill, Maul wins. But declaring that he will always allow his arrogance to overcome his sense is fallacious.

No. What defeats the purpose of debating is when we automatically conclude that an event that happened once constitutes the result for every hypothetical match. I mentioned two confrontations in which the technical "lesser" opponent managed to overcome the "greater". The first was Mace Windu versus Darth Sidious, the second was Obi-Wan Kenobi versus Darth Maul. The first scenario involves two very powerful techniques that will not change no matter what environment; Mace will always have access to Vaapad and the shatterpoint charism, thus it is highly logical that he stands an excellent chance -- if not guarenteed -- of defeating Sidious. The second situation involves Maul's defeat at Kenobi's hands primarily due to his own ego. To say that he will always be done in by his own hand is a rather silly conclusion.

Faunus:

Again, to conclude -- or even imply -- that Darth Maul will always lose because of arrogance is asinine. I could just as easily say that Dooku will always lose to Anakin Skywalker and Yoda will always be overpowered by Palpatine -- but live to continue the fight because the Sith Lord will monologue rather than finish the job. You are making it sound as if one specific instant should suddenly define the rest of the encounter; in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the vampire Spike was always overpowered by his former mentor, Angel, in every confrontation they had. Angel, more experienced and stronger, always one. Yet in an S5 episode of Angel (a spin-off), Spike battled Angel and defeated him for the first time. Angel himself latter admits that Spike "fought better" and was "stronger". Yet in latter episodes, Angel overpowers Spike while combating three others. Which one is better? Just because Spike defeated Angel once, are we to conclude that he wins all the time? No. Because obviously he doesn't -- in fact, he loses the majority of the time. There's the rule of "Any Given Sunday", and it's ridiculous to prescribe to such things.

Jar Jar Binks with a blaster has a chance of killing Marka Ragnos. Given the right circumstances, he could do it. So, were a versus thread to pop up, are we to say "could go either way?" Doubt it.

I'm not used to suddenly deciding the outcome of duels based on character traits. Anakin was WTFpwned by Count Dooku's Force lightning in Attack of the Clones, because he foolishly charged him. Yet in Revenge of the Sith, he developes a measure of patience and doesn't attempt it again. In fact, it's his "master with limited patience" that suffers the embarrassing defeat rather than him. When Yoda confronts Darth Sidious, he's "caught off guard" and overpowered -- rendered unconscious. Are we to assume this is always going to happen?

The bottom line is that very rarely is a character, or any person, always arrogant, always clever, always patient, or always stupid.

Ergo, unless the circumstances bear reevaluation (Mace vs. Sidious), we must conclude that the stronger and/or more capable opponent wins.

Se7in
You misunderstand. I am arguing that only in rare circumstances should the "lesser" opponent's victory (in several cases, brought on by plot-device or dramatization) constitute in all versus matches. Mace Windu is weaker than Darth Sidious; this is nearly irrefutable. The fact remains that Sidious initially held the advantage, he was faster and stronger -- only delving into Vaapad allowed Mace to duel the Sith Lord on even terms. And then, using the shatterpoint charism was Mace able to exploit a weakness in Palpatine's fighting form. But never throughout the fight was he ever stronger than Palpatine.

Still, Mace's Vaapad and shatterpoint charism will be available to him in every duel. Only in cases such as these do the "lesser" opponents have a nearly-guarenteed victory.

Your points are valid and considered. However, you should also note that "stronger" is a relative term, and shouldn't be used to determine the outcome of battle. You've said it yourself that "weaker" or "less skilled" opponents can win, and often do. Considering this, I just believe people shouldn't look at quotes before they look at feats, skills, and accomplishments. I never really doubted that Maul was more skilled than Obi-Wan. My true conflict was with this Anoon Bondara character, in which one quote and one fight versus someone who was defeated by a Padawan, even given the circumstances of their fight, is now being considered to be one of the top 5 fighters in the PT era. I find it ridiculous that quotes determine character strengths that seem illogical when viewing the number one canon source, movies.

But you still have to take that into account in ALL of his fights, not just some, nor can you shrug it off as a one-time deal. Your points are correct, but I'm merely stating that we must look at the most important source if we're going to make assumptions about characters in fights. We shouldn't be so quick to say, "Oh, Lucas calls him one of the deadliest apprentices ever," therefore he must easily be more skilled in combat than people such as Sion and Ventress.

As I said above, you make a good point, and I commend you. Just because a character is stronger or more skilled doesn't equate victory, we have to take into account all things. Normally, I consider Dooku easily one of the best duelists in the PT era, period. However, he lost to Yoda. Why? Because Yoda is an extremely unconventional enemy. Dooku uses a fencing form based on certain refined strike zones on an opponent, and involved feigns and parries. Yoda fights with a style that allows him to move extremely fast, which when coupled with his small size, makes Dooku's form completely useless given he can't pinpoint a target on Yoda, and can't parry any of his strikes while moving. Does this make Dooku a bad duelist? No, but because of the nature of each character's fighting style, we must conclude Yoda will win, as he did.

I don't believe we should rank characters by strength, stating things like Yoda is number one, followed by Sids, followed by Mace, followed by..etc. Rankings mean nothing, as each character may have a specific advantage over the other that allows them to win, despite their opponent being "stronger."

Faunus
Again, to conclude -- or even imply -- that Darth Maul will always lose because of arrogance is asinine.I never implied this. I simply stated that Maul's arrogance was an inherent characteristic, not something that came and went. Regardless of whom he displays it against, it's always there.

Now, the line in your post that made me respond was this:

Which is ridiculous. Whether it gets him cut in half or not, his arrogance is something that's practically innate as a Sith Lord. It's always going to be there, and in certain situations will be prone to forcing a mistake on his part. Does this translates into "Maul loses to Kenobi everytime, period"? No, obviously, and I can't see how you interpreted it that way.

Naturally.

Count Makashi
Mace and Dooku win here, Anoon is just outclassed here.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.