Why can't Thor beat Superman?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sandai Kitetsu
That seems to be the genral consensus around here. I'm asking why, Thor seems to be more powerful and versatile. So, what does he lack?

llagrok
Too slow.

Symmetric Chaos
Speed
A keen tactical mind

Kutulu
The only reason that Thor has as good a chance as he does is due to his magic abilities, which Superman is weaker towards than regular attacks. Superman has superior speed, durability, and strength, especially the speed part.

Soljer
Thor is too slow, and he fights like a total retard.

If he used his versatility to his advantage, he'd beat Superman for a majority and he'd most certainly walk a fight with the Hulk.

However, since he uses Mjolnir for little more than banging nails, and knocking heads, he gets pretty handily beaten by both Superman and the Hulk.

llagrok
Originally posted by Soljer

If he used his versatility to his advantage, he'd beat Superman for a majority and he'd most certainly walk a fight with the Hulk.

However, since he uses Mjolnir for little more than banging nails, and knocking heads, he gets pretty handily beaten by both Superman and the Hulk.

I've seen him block once! durthor

batdude123
Superman's speed/strength combo pwns.

Rorschach
He can beat Superman.

I just think Superman would take the majority in a fight.

Priest
Thor can beat Superman no expression

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Priest

Sometimes.

batdude123

Maybe... if Superman didn't use his speed effectively.

llagrok

He can, but he probably wouldn't.

Superman is just so much faster. If Thor did some sort of area of effect attack that got Superman off his feet, he could win a few.

Soljer
Originally posted by batdude123
Superman's speed/strength combo pwns.

And it doesn't hurt that Thor fights like a retard.

smile.

BobbyD
He can....odds are just against him.

Soljer
Maybe... if Superman didn't use his speed effectively.

While I'd wholeheartedly agree that Thor has NO chance of keeping up with Superman in pure speed, travel or fighting, I'd say that he has the reaction times not to be speedblitzed as easily as you seem to imply.

He's shown some pretty handy reaction times before - I believe even deflecting a telepathic blast from the phoenix. One would assume that the Phoenix's telepathy would travel pretty quickly.

But, regardless, assuming that Thor could react to Superman (and, I don't think it's a stretch to say that he could), he could pull off all sort of shielding/dimensional 'hooplah' to nullify Superman's speed advantage, or even win in a single BFRing attack.

However, since Thor fights like a retard...

Priest
Originally posted by llagrok
He can, but he probably wouldn't.

Superman is just so much faster. If Thor did some sort of area of effect attack that got Superman off his feet, he could win a few.
if he fights smart with shields, and other mystical attacks would due superman in...
the same reason why Hal and Kyle can take the majority over flash.

and like soljer said, supers can easily be Bfred by Thor.

Symmetric Chaos
if he fights smart shields, and other mystical attacks would due superman in...

If he fights smart . . .

the same reason why Hal and Kyle can take the majority over flash.

They can fly are both smarter than Flash have incredible speed and virtually unlimited versatility? Doesn't really apply IMO erm

Avlon
Take away Mjolnir and Thor is barely a peer to MM... and realistically, from the descriptions that Marvel has given...should be closer in scale to Aquaman than Superman.

Mjolnir is Thors best chance...unfortunately with Superman's insane combination powerset..it's tough to edge out wins on him.

Sandai Kitetsu
Originally posted by Avlon
Take away Mjolnir That's really not that easy.

masterbruce
Thor moves and thinks in slow motion relative to Superman. He has not a chance in Asgard of defeating Big Blue.

batdude123
While I'd wholeheartedly agree that Thor has NO chance of keeping up with Superman in pure speed, travel or fighting, I'd say that he has the reaction times not to be speedblitzed as easily as you seem to imply.

He's shown some pretty handy reaction times before - I believe even deflecting a telepathic blast from the phoenix. One would assume that the Phoenix's telepathy would travel pretty quickly.

But, regardless, assuming that Thor could react to Superman (and, I don't think it's a stretch to say that he could), he could pull off all sort of shielding/dimensional 'hooplah' to nullify Superman's speed advantage, or even win in a single BFRing attack.

However, since Thor fights like a retard...

Nah. Thor reacts and fights at a snail's pace compared to Superman. Hell, even an Earth-born warrior stabbed him with a spear and told him he moved "as slow as a cloud."

Superman moves and reacts MANY times faster than Thor does. If Superman put that advantage to good use, there's really no reason why a speedblitz from him shouldn't work. Thor's raw versatility advantage would be trumped by his inability to do anything in the time it'd take for Superman to overwhelm him.

Thor would lose the solid majority, imo.

masterbruce
Can Thor perceive or catch a bullet?

cuz Superman's alot faster than a bullet.

Avlon
Originally posted by Sandai Kitetsu
That's really not that easy.

Guys like Glads, Count Nefaria, and even The Black Knight have done it...among others.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what would happen if someone like Wolverine sliced off Thor's hand where he was unable to wield Mjolnir.

Soljer
Nah. Thor reacts and fights at a snail's pace compared to Superman. Hell, even an Earth-born warrior stabbed him with a spear and told him he moved "as slow as a cloud."

Superman moves and reacts MANY times faster than Thor does. If Superman put that advantage to good use, there's really no reason why a speedblitz from him shouldn't work. Thor's raw versatility advantage would be trumped by his inability to do anything in the time it'd take for Superman to overwhelm him.

Thor would lose the solid majority, imo.

You act like Superman hasn't been hit by people that he shouldn't have been hit by. erm.

Stuff happens.

Besides that, I didn't say that Thor's actual speed - be it in movement, or throwing a punch, was even CLOSE to Superman's - just that his reactions were fast enough not to be overwhelmed.

In which case, he could simply BFR Superman to a dark, desolate dimension and never worry about him again.

Superman takes a hefty majority in a KMC fight - but with the stipulation that Thor doesn't fight as if he had a lobotomy, I feel he'd certainly take the majority from Kal-el.

Badabing
Originally posted by masterbruce
Can Thor perceive or catch a bullet?

cuz Superman's alot faster than a bullet. Very astute.

masterbruce
You act like Superman hasn't been hit by people that he shouldn't have been hit by. erm.

Stuff happens.

Besides that, I didn't say that Thor's actual speed - be it in movement, or throwing a punch, was even CLOSE to Superman's - just that his reactions were fast enough not to be overwhelmed.

In which case, he could simply BFR Superman to a dark, desolate dimension and never worry about him again.

Superman takes a hefty majority in a KMC fight - but with the stipulation that Thor doesn't fight as if he had a lobotomy, I feel he'd certainly take the majority from Kal-el.

you IMPLIED he could react to Supes...which is a blatant falsity.

First, if Supes speedblitzed him, his eyes wouldn't register anything more than a blue and red laserlike blur whizzing around him hundreds of times a second, thus he would be utterly helpless to do anything.

Now, assuming his eyes could see a speedblitz coming, which he wouldn't be able to, he still wouldn't be able to do jack with Mjolnir or otherwise. By the time the synapeses from his brain registered signals to his arms to lift Mjolnir to try some BFR maneuver, the blue laser blue would be long gone and attacking him from another direction.

once again, Thor wouldn't have a chance in Asgard of pulling out a victory against Big Blue.

Soljer

First, if Supes speedblitzed him, his eyes wouldn't register anything more than a blue and red laserlike blur whizzing around him hundreds of times a second, thus he would be utterly helpless to do anything.

Now, assuming his eyes could see a speedblitz coming, which he wouldn't be able to, he still wouldn't be able to do jack with Mjolnir or otherwise. By the time the synapeses from his brain registered signals to his arms to lift Mjolnir to try some BFR maneuver, the blue laser blue would be long gone and attacking him from another direction.

once again, Thor wouldn't have a chance in Asgard of pulling out a victory against Big Blue.

You're assuming that Thor has normal human reaction time, when he has exhibited far more than that.

Saying that his synapses couldn't process the information quickly enough would be akin to saying that Magneto's, Superman's, or even the Flash's synapses couldn't process the information simply because human synapses can't. Doesn't work that way.

Darth_Erebus2
Because DC Comics can't stand to see the ovrrated overhyped sneeze machine in blue tights lose.

masterbruce
You're assuming that Thor has normal human reaction time, when he has exhibited far more than that.

Saying that his synapses couldn't process the information quickly enough would be akin to saying that Magneto's, Superman's, or even the Flash's synapses couldn't process the information simply because human synapses can't. Doesn't work that way.

What has Thor done to consistently show that he has superior reaction?

OneDumbG0

Now, assuming his eyes could see a speedblitz coming, which he wouldn't be able to, he still wouldn't be able to do jack with Mjolnir or otherwise. By the time the synapeses from his brain registered signals to his arms to lift Mjolnir to try some BFR maneuver, the blue laser blue would be long gone and attacking him from another direction.Err...

masterbruce
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
Err...

and deflecting Torch's blast proves what??? confused

OneDumbG0
and deflecting Torch's blast proves what??? confused Umm. That's Rachel Grey when she was Phoenix in Excalibur. If you read the scan, you'll note that it was a telepathic bolt. Speed of thought basically... fired from a few dozen yards away... and Thor... he blocks it by thrusting his arms forward and raising Mjolnir. Umm... I can't tell if you're joking or not...

EDIT: One of the caption boxes even talks about Thor's reaction time. I... I thought you would like the scan... :cry:

Soljer
and deflecting Torch's blast proves what??? confused

laughing laughing laughing

masterbruce
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
Umm. That's Rachel Grey when she was Phoenix in Excalibur. If you read the scan, you'll note that it was a telepathic bolt. Speed of thought basically... fired from a few dozen yards away... and Thor... he blocks it by thrusting his arms forward and raising Mjolnir. Umm... I can't tell if you're joking or not...

EDIT: One of the caption boxes even talks about Thor's reaction time. I... I thought you would like the scan... :cry:

my mistake in thinking it was torch.

I'm not very impressed by that scan though, to be honest. A true telepathic bolt would be instantaneous, literally you'd need to be Flash to avoid it. The bolt that Thor deflected was RACING towards him, so it was about as fast as a missile. You use the word racing to describe something moving fast like a speeding car, train, etc...but not something super fast like a bullet.

Nike

Understandable, but couldn't the same logic be applied to Superman in terms of use of his infamous speedblitz? Rarely does Superman utilize this tactic in one on one situations, and when he does it's not at light speeds.

Originally posted by Avlon
Take away Mjolnir and Thor is barely a peer to MM... and realistically, from the descriptions that Marvel has given...should be closer in scale to Aquaman than Superman.

Mjolnir is Thors best chance...unfortunately with Superman's insane combination powerset..it's tough to edge out wins on him.

Poor logic that's irrelevant to the topic at hand. In fact the same logic can be applied to Gl's with power rings, Surfer with the PC, etc.

I'm not very impressed by that scan though, to be honest. A true telepathic bolt would be instantaneous, literally you'd need to be Flash to avoid it. The bolt that Thor deflected was RACING towards him, so it was about as fast as a missile. You use the word racing to describe something moving fast like a speeding car, train, etc...but not something super fast like a bullet.

Um.... How exactly do you know the speed of the bolt? All we know is that it's fast. confused

OneDumbG0
No biggie. I've made my fair share of mistakes.
I'm not very impressed by that scan though, to be honest. A true telepathic bolt would be instantaneous-Doesn't the word "instantly" in "instantly races" help at all? Did I make the scan too small?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.