Chessmatch Cap vs Bats

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Caps Conscience
First match is regular chess.

Second is speed chess.

Who wins.

I got Bats winning the first and losing the second.

DigiMark007
Probably Bats in both scenarios. Cap's a good tactician, but does anyone actually think he's smarter than Bruce? And chess isn't real combat, so it's doubtful how much Cap's training would help him anyway. Reed Richards, for example, has none of the formal training that Cap does, but would pwn the hell out of him in chess without even looking at the board.

Caps Conscience
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Probably Bats in both scenarios. Cap's a good tactician, but does anyone actually think he's smarter than Bruce? And chess isn't real combat, so it's doubtful how much Cap's training would help him anyway. Reed Richards, for example, has none of the formal training that Cap does, but would pwn the hell out of him in chess without even looking at the board.

Intellect and Being able to strategise are two different things Cap has genius level intellect when it comes to compat strategy. Chess Challenges you your in the same way that battle strategy would. Cap is also alot better at adapting to a given situation than bats is which is why I gave him the w in the second match.

Superherovandal
Batman wins both rounds. Intellect wise Bat is leagues beyond Cap...besides chess can also be played using math too...and I don't see Cap outsmarting Batman...

Caps Conscience
Originally posted by Superherovandal
Batman wins both rounds. Intellect wise Bat is leagues beyond Cap...besides chess can also be played using math too...and I don't see Cap outsmarting Batman...

It's not that simple Stratgically Cap>Bats. And Chess is a game of strategy thats why a great human Chess player beat the computers.

Daredevil1
Well by that logic Cap uses lots of math for his insane ricocheting shield. Or geometry, Caps even outwitted Tony's security before.

Plus Caps intellect is also enhanced. I see Cap winning.

OnslaughtKILLS
Batman can be classified as the same with Tony Stark and Reed Richards. They are futurists. And if you can fortell a move before it happens, which is something Batman does quite well, he has the win easily.

Caps Conscience
Originally posted by OnslaughtKILLS
Batman can be classified as the same with Tony Stark and Reed Richards. They are futurists. And if you can fortell a move before it happens, which is something Batman does quite well, he has the win easily.

And Cap doesn't do this in combat all the time?

Citizen V
Batman wins both.

quanchi112
bats wins both.

janus77
Batman with ridiculous ease.
soldiers are soldiers, not generals no expression.

Chess is about being a general, marshaling armies and exploiting weakness in the enemy's ranks/plans.

Soljer
TECHNICALLY, the Super Soldier Serum ALSO enhanced Cap's brain tissue to 'peak human' levels. It made him, mind AND body, the best a human could possibly be.

However, as this has never really been shown, I gotta give Batman the win in both scenarios.

Caps Conscience
Originally posted by janus77
Batman with ridiculous ease.
soldiers are soldiers, not generals no expression.

Chess is about being a general, marshaling armies and exploiting weakness in the enemy's ranks/plans.

Then why is Leadership always deffered to him? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Big Sexy
Theirs no question that Bats is smarter than cap so the speed chess is out since Batman thinks at a faster rate than Cap. Cap has a chance with regular chess though.

guy222
Originally posted by Caps Conscience
First match is regular chess.

Second is speed chess.

Who wins.

I got Bats winning the first and losing the second.

Bruce 2/2

Soljer
Originally posted by Big Sexy
Theirs no question that Bats is smarter than cap so the speed chess is out since Batman thinks at a faster rate than Cap. Cap has a chance with regular chess though.

Thinks period? Meh - I wouldn't say so. Cap's brain processes input faster than Batman's does.

Thinks CONSTRUCTIVELY towards a solution at something like chess? I'd agree.

Caps Conscience
Originally posted by Big Sexy

Wrong. Cap thinks faster then bats as evidence of him always adjusting in midbattle. Inteligence and mental quickness=different things.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Bats takes both.

janus77
Then why is Leadership always deffered to him? roll eyes (sarcastic)
'cos Marvel's a US company stick out tongue.

btw don't Canadians and Mexicans (just going by North Americans) find it funny that Captain AMERICA wears the stars and stripes?
confused

Soljer
Originally posted by janus77
'cos Marvel's a US company stick out tongue.

btw don't Canadians and Mexicans (just going by North Americans) find it funny that Captain AMERICA wears the stars and stripes?
confused

I find it kinda funny that most United Statesians refer to themselves (and solely themselves) as Americans when in reality all of North, Central, and South America are American.

Oh well.

DigiMark007
Intellect and Being able to strategise are two different things Cap has genius level intellect when it comes to compat strategy. Chess Challenges you your in the same way that battle strategy would. Cap is also alot better at adapting to a given situation than bats is which is why I gave him the w in the second match.

Nah, because there's still a huge difference. Tell a trained martial artist to face a fat chess master in chess and see how it turns out. Combat strategy doesn't = chess strategy because they are inherently different mediums. It would help some, no doubt, but mounting an offensive in chess is different than, say, leading a battalion of superheroes in battles....the logistics are mind-boggingly different, and it would be a completely different strategic skill set to learn.

You could also argue that Bruce's analytical intellect is no less than Steve's, which is probably true (I'd say it's greater). Pure superhero combat strategy goes to Cap, but no one in comicdom is more analytical and thorough than Bats in his thought processes.

If you were to have on-panel evidence, that's one thing, but I doubt we do.

Soljer
Indeed. Chess is a game. It involves strategy, just like any game, but being a chess master doesn't mean you'd be able to lead an army. Leading an army to a thousand victories - even against improbable odds due to your incredible strategy - doesn't mean you'd beat anyone at chess.

Different games, different worlds.

Tenebrous
Originally posted by Soljer
I find it kinda funny that most United Statesians refer to themselves (and solely themselves) as Americans when in reality all of North, Central, and South America are American.

Oh well.

Do you refer to yourself as a United Kingdomer? or British?

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland...yeah British is the way to go.

The United States of America...yeah American is good enough.

janus77
Originally posted by Tenebrous
Do you refer to yourself as a United Kingdomer? or British?

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland...yeah British is the way to go.

The United States of America...yeah American is good enough.
to be honest, very few would refer to themselves as British. there was some debate over the matter recently, on the Guardian's blogsite.

most prefer to speak of England, Scotland and Wales. Of English, Scottish and Welsh nationalities and peoples.

(I excluded Northern Ireland 'cos that boggles the mind confused )

Britain <> England, though England is the dominant cultural and financial power within the UK.

but the US has consistently taken for itself the "American" identity. which is why Cap' is a US native and wears the stars and stripes.

SnazzySmurph
It's actually a horrible offense made by comics, though I must say that it's enough compensation to know that the guy who wears OUR colors sh*tstomps most other flagbearers in the Marvel U.

Tenebrous
Originally posted by Soljer
Indeed. Chess is a game. It involves strategy, just like any game, but being a chess master doesn't mean you'd be able to lead an army. Leading an army to a thousand victories - even against improbable odds due to your incredible strategy - doesn't mean you'd beat anyone at chess.

Different games, different worlds.

Depending on which historian you ask, chess was originally conceived for a way for generals and commanders to mimic armed forces movements. So it was much less a game than a practical and important tool in the general's prep for war.

Anyway, I agree with the OP. You don't judge someone's chess skill based on intellect alone...you can be a genius and a horrible strategist.

That being said, Batman is a master prep artist, meaning he is a master at strategy. Regular chess matches can last hours, even days. once the match turns into a test of strategic wills, batman is the clear winner as capt. as some other poster said...is engineered to react to situations on the fly...a standard chess game is thought out and a slow, ponderous process.

bats and cap react almost instantaneously to their environments at hand...though for a lot of it he needs to use his equipment. cap uses his shield, so it's inconclusive.

has anyone ever played a game of 1 minute speed chess? there's no time for strategy there...any strategy would be so condensed that they just become a bunch of tactics...something cap excels in. again, bats is the prep master....master strategist.

cap is at the front line of any battle....master tactician.

speed chess i give the nod to cap...but bats gets him hands down once you get into 5+ hour long matches.

Caps Conscience
Originally posted by Tenebrous
Depending on which historian you ask, chess was originally conceived for a way for generals and commanders to mimic armed forces movements. So it was much less a game than a practical and important tool in the general's prep for war.

Anyway, I agree with the OP. You don't judge someone's chess skill based on intellect alone...you can be a genius and a horrible strategist.

That being said, Batman is a master prep artist, meaning he is a master at strategy. Regular chess matches can last hours, even days. once the match turns into a test of strategic wills, batman is the clear winner as capt. as some other poster said...is engineered to react to situations on the fly...a standard chess game is thought out and a slow, ponderous process.

bats and cap react almost instantaneously to their environments at hand...though for a lot of it he needs to use his equipment. cap uses his shield, so it's inconclusive.

has anyone ever played a game of 1 minute speed chess? there's no time for strategy there...any strategy would be so condensed that they just become a bunch of tactics...something cap excels in. again, bats is the prep master....master strategist.

cap is at the front line of any battle....master tactician.

speed chess i give the nod to cap...but bats gets him hands down once you get into 5+ hour long matches.

Thank You somebody that has actually played Chess. Thank you for making my point alot clearer.

DigiMark007
I play chess too, quite well actually. I think I could beat Cap. He'll make a patriotic speech, and use his vast knowledge of the Skrull Empire and mixed unit tactics in ground warfare to...

....save the world after he loses to me in chess.

Daredevil1
Cap wins in strategy and tactics. This is what he is know for.

Tony stated Cap has outwitted his private security. In Chess Cap wins.

In science experiements/building weapons etc Bats wins.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.