Zombie's Halloween....,your reviews

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ragesRemorse
I just watched the new Halloween online. I must admit that i was very skeptical towards this movie, even given Zombie's track record as a director. I must say, however, i was surprisingly fulfilled as i believe most horror and Halloween fans alike will be. The remake focused more on Myers himself and the phsychology that drove him to murderous tendancies, rather than the babysitter. Infact the first half of the film is dedicated to Myers childhood and establishing his character. I think this was a great direction to take. I believe this aspect of the film will win over the hearts of the Halloween fans. Although Zombie's direction and vision is realized in a vivid and realistic manner, the second half of the film feels out of place.
Zombie did a great job in un filtering the brutality in the beginning murder scenes, so much so, that the first half of the film feels like a bigraphical study of a serial killer. I think this is what hurts the second half of the move. When Myers begins his rampage over Haddenfiled, the movie takes on that traditional slasher atmosphere. This isnt a bad thing it just seems inconsistant with the fisrt half of the movie. I wodner if this was deliberate decision on Zombie's part.
Over all The movie is very enetertaining, and most of the film is very well made. I do, howver, have quarrels with the last twenty minutes. As far as comparing the two, this is all but impossible. They are two very different styles. Where Carpenter created suspense from impending doom, Zombie creates tension in the midst of occuring doom. carpenters is much more suspensfull and holds a more seamless direction for the story. Zombie brings realism, history, and brutatlity to the table though. I heard a review tag line on TV saying that this is a great campion piece to the original. I beleive that is the best description for this rendition.

I give the flick 7/10 as a horror movie
9/10 as a zombie movie

so lets hear it, what did you all think?

Discos
Think I made the same mistake here....this should be shifted to the horror forum.

There is a good long thread about the new Halloweeen on there. Cheers

Mr Parker
well its the movie review section and this section is to review movies so I think it will be okay for it to be here even though there is a horror section.anyways,cant wait to see this movie after that horrific and inexcusable Halloween Resurrection.

Mr Parker
just saw the movie last night and i was dissapointed with it.thought it could have been much better.just like the other halloween movies,they never explained WHY he cant be killed which they always gave an explanation for in the original book.Plus I thought we would see more of the things that went on at the sanitarium while he was growing up there like in the book it talked about how the other patient kids there became afraid of him over the years and stuff like that.this being a remake that was going to be focusing on his childhood there,I wanted to see all that so it was dissapointing in that way and it all felt too rushed.Like I said, they could have done better showing more stuff while he was growing up at the hospital and like in the book,they mentioned that the orderly let the patients out because michael wanted it and they were afriad of him so they did what he wanted.they should have shown those kinds of things and again,we STILL dont know why as a viewer,why he cant be killed either.the orignal halloween later on added backstory for a tv release and they showed Pleasance talking to him as a little kid saying things like-you got them all fooled dont you michael? well you got them fooled but you dont have me fooled.they should have showed those things as well.

I agree with you that the second half of the film is inconsistant with the first half and thats what hurt it.still at least it was better than that crapfest Halloween Resurrection.Myself,I would give it a 6 out of 10.

FistOfThe North
Just saw Holloween. I liked it.. I wonder where in the saga does this film take place..and did he get killed off or not..

While in the theatres, I had my own ideas on how Myers killing tactics should've, more creatively, went but everyone has their own vision just like Rob Zombie does.

Kinda reminded me of the Anakin Skywalker story a bit..

Impediment
Duplicate thread, even if it is reviews.

Mirai Gohan
How many f*cking times are people going to make this thread whilst we have one in the Goddamn Horror movie section?

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Mirai Gohan
How many f*cking times are people going to make this thread whilst we have one in the Goddamn Horror movie section?

didnt see a review thread in the horror section. go break some one elses balls.

Mirai Gohan
Break these nuts nigga.

Captain REX
Mirai Gohan, don't be a thread Nazi.

I'll move/merge/whatever this tomorrow.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Mirai Gohan

never. big grin

ragesRemorse
still didnt find a halloween movie review thread in the horror section sad

Impediment
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
still didnt find a halloween movie review thread in the horror section sad

Look here.

BackFire
The thread title was a bit confusing, went ahead and made it more clear.

Anyways, closing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.