Harry related to Slytherin?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dresta
Well in the 7th book we find out that Harry is the decendant of one of the Peverell brothers. And that Voldemort descended from another, so then surely the Peverells must be descendants of Slytherin. Which also makes Harry Slytherin's last descendant.

Any thoughts?

H. S. 6
J. K. Rowling also said that if you went back far enough, all wizarding families would be related to each other in distant ways.

siriuswriter
He could only be a last descendant of Slytherin if he was in the Gaunt family, as they were the only surviving family who had managed to keep Slytherin's bloodline alive. (Other families carrying the Slytherin blood probably died off, didn't have heirs to the Slytherin name, or were killed off.) So while Voldemort is DIRECTLY related to Voldemort, it is possible that Harry is related to Slytherin through a very confusing network of geneaology.

ETA: Also, I thought that the Peverells were before the Founders' time. I got that impression because their story had become legend, and it usually takes an extremely long time for truth to become legend. I had imagined the story being passed down by word of mouth, embellished, etc. It was probably already the version Hermione finds in "Beedle the Bard" when the Founders were alive.

I guess I also wanted to restress that if Harry were related to Slytherin, it would be the sort of thing... well... it's like we say that we're all descended from Noah and his family, or whatever, and so therefore we must all be related. But that doesn't mean that we consider ourselves "family" with all the people of the world.

Council#13
Originally posted by H. S. 6
J. K. Rowling also said that if you went back far enough, all wizarding families would be related to each other in distant ways.

Well, that solves in mystery of Harry of Slytherin descent. I rest my case.

Darth Macabre
J. K. Rowling also said that if you went back far enough, all wizarding families would be related to each other in distant ways. Which makes zero to little sense, but oh well.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Which makes zero to little sense, but oh well.

Why is that?

Darth Macabre
Why is that? Lots of different reasons, but mainly muggleborns: if they're considered true wizards, then sooner or later more and more magical families will be created, unrelated from one another.

chillmeistergen
Well done, that's why there are few pure blood families left in the books. It's also one of the things the death eaters etc. have against muggleborns.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Lots of different reasons, but mainly muggleborns: if they're considered true wizards, then sooner or later more and more magical families will be created, unrelated from one another.

I think the idea behind muggleborns is, though, (and I could be wrong) that some distant relative was magical, and the gene surfaces unexpectedly, even though both parents are muggles.

Strangelove
Originally posted by Dresta
Well in the 7th book we find out that Harry is the decendant of one of the Peverell brothers. And that Voldemort descended from another, so then surely the Peverells must be descendants of Slytherin. Which also makes Harry Slytherin's last descendant.

Any thoughts? Slytherin is was unrelated to the Peverells (as much as a pureblood family can be, anyway). Slytherin was not a descendant of a Peverell brother, nor vice versa. But according to a family tree, across several generations the Peverell and Slytherin families crossed, and the Gaunts came later.

As a descendant of a Peverell brother, Harry Potter is distantly related to Salazar Slytherin. But he is not a descendant.

Running Mascara
Originally posted by Dresta

Any thoughts?

I had been wondering the same thing yes

jasonowens4200
it just depends on how the peverells is related to slytherin. Cause the gaunts are related to the peverells or atleast they say they are so which makes voldemort and harry related

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.