what does it take to clone an animal?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JLred
if it's just DNA and like material they should try and make a dodo bird.. mad

i wanna see one mad

i don't care if it's a soul-less clone...and don't say anything like they went extinct for a reason...they went extinct because they were too awesome....but now in this desperate time we need more awesome.... mad http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z220/ladybeabea/DodoBird.jpgdroolio

Captain REX
They need DNA and something to breed the DNA into. Over a couple of generations, they could turn elephants into wooly mammoths (at least conceptually).

JLred
maybe an ostrich and then there would be giant dodos!!

eek!

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Captain REX
They need DNA and something to breed the DNA into. Over a couple of generations, they could turn elephants into wooly mammoths (at least conceptually).
I think you take the centre out of a doner gamete (egg cell), insert the thing you want cloned's DNA, give it an electric shock to a make it start splitting or somthing, then you replace the cell(s) back into the doner and it should eventually become a clone... Well that's the jist of it, I can't remember it fully.

I'm not sure how it would work with birds though.

JLred

Shin_Blax
Or you could just make two clones..

JLred
Originally posted by Shin_Blax
Or you could just make two clones..

no but you need something to have the clone so do you need a species that could theoretically mate?

§P0oONY
Originally posted by JLred
so do you have to find like animals that could mate with the extinct if you were to bring back a species? I think the surrogate mother has to be a similar animal.

SpearofDestiny
Cloning requires an egg cell, and 23 chromosones from another source.

Without the egg cell, cloning will not occur.

Robtard
Originally posted by JLred
if it's just DNA and like material they should try and make a dodo bird.. mad

i wanna see one mad

i don't care if it's a soul-less clone...and don't say anything like they went extinct for a reason...they went extinct because they were too awesome....but now in this desperate time we need more awesome.... mad http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z220/ladybeabea/DodoBird.jpgdroolio

Didn't you learn anything from Jurasic Park?

"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." -Dr. Ian Malcolm:

§P0oONY
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
Cloning requires an egg cell, and 23 chromosones from another source.

Without the egg cell, cloning will not occur. The egg cell can come from any organising, it simply has to have it's genetic information sucked out.

23 chromosomes would be for human cloning, different species have different numbers.

But yeah, Robtard is correct, they more than likely could clone one but it's dangerous reentering a species to the world after an extended absence... Plus the ethics of playing God.

Shin_Blax
Originally posted by Robtard

"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." -Dr. Ian Malcolm:

So would it be okay to think about ti first, and then just decide to be right?

Robtard
Originally posted by Shin_Blax
So would it be okay to think about ti first, and then just decide to be right?

In regards to the Dodo, I'd personally say yes, they look tasty.

Shin_Blax
Exactly.

JLred

well i think they should first see if they could and make a poll or something...it's not like dodos will gain a blood lust devouring the human race and controlling the planet....

Robtard

JLred
so, who put Pikachu?

Magee
Come on who can say they wouldnt like to have a pet pikachu? wink

§P0oONY
Wouldn't it be 46 (2 pairs of 23) chromosomes for a human?

Not sure were the ethics of playing God comes in, God created everything out of nothing, cloning is just using what was made/is available to us. Yeah, it would.

But many would take that line on it.

JLred
Originally posted by Magee
Come on who can say they wouldnt like to have a pet pikachu? wink
if anything i'd want a charmander..

ADarksideJedi
Not sure if it is strem cells then I don't really care for cloning.Which I dont anyway because why play God?They do that and something is bond to go wrong!jm

JLred
well you just can't make assumptions like that....

dadudemon
It's not playing "god". We will start playing "god" when we create our own universe (Some science points the reality that "god" created a multi-verse...not a universe.) and set our own rules up or when we judge people and reward or condemn them.

JLred
a multiverse...sounds badass...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.