What is Your View on The Punisher?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shin_Nikkolas
Frank Castle.

What do you think of him?

pr1983
Originally posted by Shin_Nikkolas
Frank Castle.

What do you think of him?

he's groovy...

TricksterPriest
Hard to say. Some of the people he offs definitely deserve it. Others, not so much. He usually walks a very fine line between vigilante and serial killer. srsly And one of these days, he's gonna go too far.

Lucid Lui
He's a murderous serial killer, no doubt about it.

And in terms of what i think of him as a character, i generally don't care for him and find him unappealing. Certain writers and stories can get me to enjoy the character though.

Shin_Nikkolas
But besides killing the bad, he protects the innocent. Like his WWH tie-in is supposed to be all about protecting the innocents in New York or something.

Morridini
One of the best characters in the Marvel Universe.

Go for it Frank!

Citizen V

But he's the murderous serial killer than the common man can trust.

thumb up, thumbs up for accessibility.

willRules
Originally posted by Lucid Lui

And in terms of what i think of him as a character, i generally don't care for him and find him unappealing. Certain writers and stories can get me to enjoy the character though.

totally agree yes

Dinalfos
Definitely a murderous serial killer. I'm not judging his actions (well, I am, actually), but it's just a cold hard fact. Objectively speaking.

I can see the populist appeal, but what makes Frank a good character is that he fails to see the error of his ways. And even if he sometimes does, he sticks with his plan. He's very complex.

jgiant
Best character in the history of fiction. Period.

grey fox
Absolute Justice >>> Puny legal system.

Citizen V
Originally posted by jgiant
Best character in the history of fiction. Period.

I don't think so, sunshine.

grey fox
Originally posted by Citizen V

Agree, though he is a good character. Just not 'The Best'.

lordboo
he's a raving lunatic,but i like him.he does what he believes is right

Symmetric Chaos
Good. Bad. He's the guy with the gun.

jgiant
To me he is. Doesn't this thread say "What is YOUR view on the punisher?"... sunshine...

Alfheim
I think hes an anti-hero. Well it makes mores sense to kill the Red Skull than let him live. In America he would get the chair.

The reasons some heroes give for letting certain villains live is complete and utter BS. I cant say I agree with all his actions but I dont think repeated mass murderers should live.

jgiant
I can see why, alot of people don't understand him, or just don't give him a chance. They see some guy running around with guns killing people and just don't see how great a character he is.

Alfheim
I can see why, alot of people don't understand him, or just don't give him a chance. They see some guy running around with guns killing people and just don't see how great a character he is.

He does what any trained person would probably do if their family got gunned down.....its that simple. Not condoning being vigilante of course..just saying I understand. wink

Citizen V
To me he is. Doesn't this thread say "What is YOUR view on the punisher?"... sunshine...

Yeah, well to me he isn't.

Yes it does, well done, you can read: Want a cookie?

SnazzySmurph
From a KMC point of view:

The problem with the Punisher is that he needs to rely on solo books that only Jgiant and Alfheim pay attention to, because as soon as you go into crossovers, (most) people realize that he should be losing to the large majority of popular street level characters and above.

From a personal view:

He could be cool, but often comes off as annoying... I suppose sometimes I support what he does, but it seems like he either goes to far, or the writers play it up too much. Of course, the last time I payed attention, though, was during Civil War for a couple of his issues. The art was bad enough that I dropped it pretty quick, so maybe I have a skewed view of the character.

Soljer
Originally posted by SnazzySmurph
From a KMC point of view:

The problem with the Punisher is that he needs to rely on solo books that only Jgiant and Alfheim pay attention to, because as soon as you go into crossovers, (most) people realize that he should be losing to the large majority of popular street level characters and above.

From a personal view:

He could be cool, but often comes off as annoying... I suppose sometimes I support what he does, but it seems like he either goes to far, or the writers play it up too much. Of course, the last time I payed attention, though, was during Civil War for a couple of his issues. The art was bad enough that I dropped it pretty quick, so maybe I have a skewed view of the character.

That's a very good point. Many people over-play the 'edge' on the Punisher. It's just too much of a good thing - and I think there are other (mostly indie) comics that do the edgy thing a LOT better.

willRules
I just bought Daredevil vs Punisher trade. I have always been a fan of Daredevil but I read the story with an open mind. I was quite shocked however at how one sided the fights were for a crossover. For the most part DD schooled Frank yes

Soljer
Originally posted by willRules
I just bought Daredevil vs Punisher trade. I have always been a fan of Daredevil but I read the story with an open mind. I was quite shocked however at how one sided the fights were for a crossover. For the most part DD schooled Frank yes

Not to mention the fact that writers will always try to equalize an uneven fight.

Even something like Captain America versus the Hulk or Batman versus Superman.

willRules
yes that's what surprised me. I expected a slightly more even fight yes

Black Adam
psychotic serial killer who uses his family's murder as an excuse to indulge his own murderous fantasies.

you'd figure it would get boring after 50 issues but Ennis keep bringing me back.

also War journal sucks.

jgiant
Yeah, well to me he isn't.

Yes it does, well done, you can read: Want a cookie? Sure...while your at it do you have any other outdated sarcastic phrases for me.

Citizen V
Sure...while your at it do you have any other outdated sarcastic phrases for me.

Your face is out-dated.

I'm done.

SnazzySmurph
Best character in the history of fiction. Period. no expression

WrathfulDwarf
He's practically Charles Bronson's Death Wish with lots of guns and some martial arts training.

Alfheim
Originally posted by willRules
yes that's what surprised me. I expected a slightly more even fight yes

EXACTLY!

Soljer
Originally posted by Alfheim
EXACTLY!

Due to comic-book equalizing and P/CIS, if my interpretation of will's statements were correct.

Not due to the Punisher actually being able to keep up with Daredevil.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.