THE Scene

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

willofthewisp
We all have our favorite scenes. But which ones are the masterpieces, the true gems of the trilogy? I think each movie has one and I love them, for their acting, their contribution to the plot, some scenes are just perfection to me. I wonder if you feel the same way.

AWE
My vote for AWE goes to parlay. I love when the trio is all together and here they are with a kick-ass Barbossa and our two villains. The cinematography is beautiful and every single one of them is thinking something different. There is a great chemistry between the trio, real signals and thinking how the others think going on. They are certainly stronger together than they are apart. Each one puts together what is happening and the exchange is part of their plan. Jack wants to get on the Flying Dutchman to stab the heart, thereby freeing Will of his obligation and yet Bootstrap is saved. Elizabeth, just by watching these guys communicate, picks up on it and makes it happen. Just watch every second of it and tell me it's not good.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vXt14Bd8FRg

DMC
My vote for DMC has always been the visit to Tia Dalma. While parlay is a great character piece, this scene is for the story. Up until now, we know nothing of the big picture. If you think about it, the whole reason we have POTC in the first place is because of Tia Dalma and Davy Jones. It's told in an exotic place by a fantastic storyteller, and everyone has heard it before but is eager to hear it again. And Will. Oh, if only we knew just how important this story would be to him. We were onto something, but did anyone really know at the time what was going to happen? Knowing what we know now, is it fate that makes Will the captain of the FD, or is Tia already forming her plan when she sees him? It's so mystical and vague and yet in a way, it's sexy and every bit of dialogue reveals a piece of information. I've always loved that the backbone of POTC is a love story, not even Will and Liz's but Davy and Tia's. It's screwed up and epic, but it's still a love story. And there is so much detail and care into this scene....all so Jack can just learn where the key is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dUYDtUM8qlY

COTBP
I had to think about this for a while. I haven't seen all of COTBP for a long time. While I love the battles in the series (AWE's climax, the wheel scene in DMC), I think COTBP is purposely not as deep a film as the other two. It's meant to introduce us to the pirate world and it did just that and it did it so well, all of us fell in love with that world and the characters. So my bet for THE scene in COTBP is its climax. I love the trio and here they are, working together for the first time and we see that their lives will be connected forever. And Barbossa is in it in his full wickedness that got softened as the series progressed. Guess death will do that to you.
Sorry I can't find a link for it. But start it at about the point where Liz has her classic (infamous?) Try wearing a corset line up until Barbossa dies. It's great action and masterfully done.

Anyone have any other winners?

IheartPocky
Hm.

AWE- I'd have to say the whole sequence where will gets stabbed up until Beckett blows up. Yes, I consider that one whole part!!!

DMC- Well, I really really liked the kraken scenes lol but I guess I wouldn't call it THE scene. Yeah the Tia dalma scene is good. hehe I liked the end when Barbossa came out though, too.

CotBP- I love the scene where Barbossa explains the curse. So I guess that one. smile

sailorleo
hmm....

Awe: Norrington kiss, although it should have been me

DMC: Norrington period...

CotBP: um sad norrie in the last scene with him in it

!!tangerines!!
Well i have 2 or more for every movie.

AWE- i dont really know, probably the parley scene and the multiple jacks scene (not just because it has multiple jacks, i like the randomness of it)

DMC- The curiosityscene and the whole section on isla cruces how they're all chasing after the chest and the key. Which keep turning up in random places (because another character has dropped it or something) and the characters pick it up and keep running.

Cotbp- I like the one where Barbossa explains the curse as well, but i also like the scene where Jack and Liz are stranded on the island .

tee_pirategirl
I'd say...

AWE- Parlay...totally! It was amazing how they communicated. I also love the JE goodbye...although it's sad oh and the one with Jack with the strumpets but parlay still wins.

DMC- I'd say THE scene here for ME was from the point Jack comes back to the point he dies...especially the dying part still sends shivers down my spine.

COTBP- I love the Jack escape scene mainly cause Jack/Will make such a GREAT team...so coordinated you'd think they'd planned it ahead of time big grin and all three of them sorta unite.

!!tangerines!!
oh yeah i forgot about the strumpet scene in AWE. i liked that one too:
' yes, i lied to you,
no i dont love you,
of course it makes you look fat,
ive never been to brussels,
it is pronounced EgRegious.
And by the way no, ive never actually met bezzaro but i love his pies. And all of this pales to utter insignificance in light of the fact that my ship is once again gone. Savvy?'

texgodiva2s
I gotta say, it's Pizzaro, spelling may be off but he's an explorer like Vasco de Gama, etc--and I think the reference to his "pies" is one of just silliness, you know Pizza pies right? And all this pales to utter insignificance....

In PotC, I like the scene when Will finally catches on as Jack is making his opportune moment speech--Will realizes that Jack is saying heads up, the moment is coming--be ready.

In DMC, I like the scene where there is all the sword fighting on the island--I'm a sucker for good sword play--2nd is Elisabeth fighting with Norrington in the Faithful Bride, then bashing him over the head.

In AWE, well, Elisabeth entering at the Pirate Lords gathering--now that was something and Jack helping her to be voted Pirate King. You know I don't think there's any woman any where of whatever age, who doesn't get off to the whole Pirate King thing. Very cool.

willofthewisp
Very true. The brethren court scene is very good and I was mentally standing up and cheering that Liz would get to be pirate king.

lovethemtigers
For me.....

COTBP....
favorite scene....hard to choose, I love the entire movie....I love the Island scene the best...."that's the second time I've had to watch that man sail away with my ship"....."welcome to Caribbean, luv"....."what a ship really is, is freedom".....I just love that scene...when I want to watch COTBP over..that's ususally the scene I want to see over and over!

DMC....
easy....Curiosity. I love the curiosity scene....."my intuitive sense of the female creature informs me that you are troubled"...."we are very much alike you and i, i, you, us"....."one word, luv, curiosity"....I just love the whole scene...it's probably the one I've watched the most, outside of the Kiss of Death..

AWE...
easy..Parlay....."listen to the tool"....I like the brethren court too when Jack votes for Liz...but the Parlay scene is the best in the entire movie..it's got all the main players...davy jones, beckett, will, jack, elizabeth, barbossa...and Jack the Monkey!

tee_pirategirl
HAHA! Of course I love both curiosity and the island scene...they're my two fave JE scenes. LOVE THEM. The brethren court was good too.

willofthewisp
The island scene is a great favorite of mine. I don't know if I would call it a guilty pleasure, but it's so full of characterization and chemistry and it's obvious everyone was having a great time making COTBP. There's a lot of energy there and the island is just one example. They should have left the whole scene in. It still would have put the film under 3 hours.

katelovespirate
my 2 cents:

COTBP: the island scenes, "welcome to the caribbean, love" that whole bit. good old fashioned humor, drinking, scheming, and a moment of vulnerability from Jack that sums up the entire series in my mind with his line about the black pearl being freedom.

DMC: Kiss of death. The kiss for the ages, until the film ends with barbossa coming down the stairs, imo, the most intensely emotive cinematic experiment we've seen in years in the film industry. not since Han got frozen in carbonite have i held my breath so tensely.

AWE: tie between the pistol fight after they make it back from DJL, which is brilliant fun jumping back and forth between laughing at each other and trying to kill each other, and "choosing a side", the line from Norrington that, for me, was the best moment of the movie.

haha lovethemtigers, ours are pretty similar...

Surreal_44
Hmm, truly masterful scenes from the films?

CotBP

Barbossa explaining the curse. It's spooky, it's thrilling, and it's incredible. Barbossa is almost as good as Gibbs at explaining things. wink On top of that, it scares the crap out of Liz, and I liked that, because it was a normal reaction.

Also, the moment when the pirates are walking under the Dauntless. Talk about spectacular. It's actually a fairly scary moment in the film, and it was beautifully shot.

DMC

Will gets whipped. It's not sexy, though I admit I did sigh when his shirt was ripped off him. The scene is so emotional and so frightening. Could you imagine discovering your child is still alive, and then being forced to whip them? Davy Jones' reaction to the scene, Will's defiant, angry expression when he realizes it's his father, and Bootstraps silent anguish as he lashes Will is all brilliantly done. I love the tears that fall from Bootstrap's eyes as he lashes Will. That was just amazing.

And I have to say, I love the Will/Elizabeth beach kiss. I think it was well done. No, it wasn't smooth, it wasn't entirely romantic, it wasn't how you expect movie kisses to be. She nearly knocks him over in her delight on seeing him, she practically climbs up his chest in her excitement, and they pull back as if they're going to talk to each other and instead they just lock lips in a frantic sort of way, as if not seeing each other for those few days has left them starving for each other.

It's an unexpected almost sloppy kiss (no spittle though, yay!) and I just think it's great.

And finally, of course, the Biggest, Baddest Sword Fight EVAH!!!!! Some people say it went on too long. Me, I say it wasn't long enough. More of kick-ass James please, if you don't mind.

AWE

This film is so huge, and just about everything in it is beautiful.

The journey to World's End. Ok, this bit took a little longer than I would have liked, but it was INCREDIBLE. The imagery, the emotions of the characters, the continued conflict between Will and Elizabeth, and the excitement and fear of them going over the waterfall.

Jack's purgatory scene. I didn't like it the first time I saw it. I thought it was weird and stupid, but then after the second and third times, I began to feel the genius of it. How unusual is it to peel away ALL the layers of the main character? You see bits of a human mind that you would never expect. People don't like it because they don't want to see Jack in that way, and because it makes you wonder...what am I like? Am I that weird? I can't be -- I'm better than that.

It's great pschological stuff.

The Big Long Battle with a Wedding. This is great stuff, from the moment the Pearl and the Dutchman face-off up until Will becomes captain. Beautiful, painful, horrible, oddly funny in places, with some love and warmth brought to it with the wedding.

Beckett's ship gets blown up. It is brutal. It's shocking just how much they show, using slow motion to capture the death struggles of the crew as their world explodes around them. I always cry; not for Beckett, but for his men. It has to happen, and I understand it, but understanding does not always make war easier. Luckily, they died at sea and they'll have a very just man to ferry them to the other side.

But that whole scene is just incredible, with Beckett walking down the stairs and being untouched until the very end...WOW.

And finally, Will and Elizabeth's reunion scene. So much emotion, such a powerful statement made without any words. Part of me wishes we could have seen him make land, but another part of me thinks that having Elizabeth and their son waiting on the cliffs with a sea of green grass behind them and the blue sea in front, Will's white shirt, the smiles, the excitement in all three characters as they are FINALLY allowed to be together...

Who knows what the future holds for the three of them? In that moment, does it matter? I was left breathless with the joy and hope of that last scene.

As you can see, I enjoyed AWE the most out of the three films. wink I didn't even name all my favorite little moments, because I was trying to find the scenes that were cinematically and emotionally more dramatic. big grin

miss_swann
CotBP The scene below decks with Will and Elizabeth because it's so heartfilled and emotional and complex. It's impossible to describe all the emotions but you can see them all.

DMC Hmm... well I know my least favourite... *JACK!* *cough*
But seriously I think it would either be the scene between Becket and Elizabeth in his room where she demands the pardon papers or the interupted wedding or the scene AFTER Elizabeth has kissed Jack and she gets in the rowing boat with Will and they look at each other in a way I can't be bothered to type out. I like the Beckett scene because you see how Elizabeth has grown up and become more herself and less of a daddy's girl. I like the interupted wedding because it's the only time Elizabeth cries in the trilogy and it's the only time I've ever scene Keira Knightley cry, (except maybe the Hole...?) I like the scene between Elizabeth and Will because there is so much in one look which passes between them.

AWE THe beach scene. Enough said.

willofthewisp
"And finally, of course, the Biggest, Baddest Sword Fight EVAH!!!!! Some people say it went on too long. Me, I say it wasn't long enough. More of kick-ass James please, if you don't mind."-----Surreal

That, Surreal, is probably my favorite action sequence of the whole series. Right from the swords being drawn on the beach to where they are back on the Pearl again, it is true mastery of stunt work. Tension has been building between Jack, Will, and James since the first film and they really hadn't gotten a chance to unleash it. Will is supposed to be the greatest swordsman in the series, but here they are all pretty evenly matched because James has all that rage combined with his skill and Jack, well, he's not great with swords, but he's okay and he really wants that key. So it's humorous, shows the characters' strengths and weaknesses, and is just a great action scene.

ON TOP OF THAT, you have another swordfight going on at the same time. Elizabeth, Pintel, and Ragetti have to work together (tell any of them that while they were still in COTBP and they would have laughed at you) to save the chest from the FD crew. So they only have two swords and successfully throw them to each other so all three can battle. The two sequences are masterfully juxtaposed, and when the wheel breaks off, it's just amazing. Like someone said, that key winds up in the strangest of places.

While I didn't agree with all of LovelyOne's symbolism that she interpreted from DMC, I thought it was an interesting idea that the three men are competing for a heart and each one has had his moment(s) with Elizabeth, who although in her own fight, cannot participate in theirs. She thought of it as them competing for her and thought it interesting that James ultimately gets the heart. While there is so much symbolism in the important objects being a key and a chest and a heart, it's even more interesting in who actually gets these items and what they do with them. So even after all this great action, there is some depth to it. It's amazing.

katelovespirate
Ooooo surreal, agree that the scene where Will gets whipped is amazing. it was done so well. it flowed with the theme of DMC... painful, brilliant, agonizing, the idea that people close to you, who love you deeply, can hurt you deeply for your own good.

Hambah
COTBP: I always like the scene where Barbossa explains the curse. He does it so well.

DMC: Ahh. Let's see. When they're on Isla Cruces with the three-way sword fight (and on the wheel) and Elizabeth, Pintel, and Ragetti all fighting with only 2 swords. That was pretty cool. Omg and in Tortuga. Love that whole part. From when they arrive till they get on the Pearl. Fantastic.

AWE: I like the Brethren Court scene with Keith Richards and all that. It's one of the few scenes that I enjoyed it very much.

To Freedom
AWE - The parachute scene
DMC - The Kiss and Curiousity
CotBP - The island scene and all the Jack saves Liz scenes

lovethemtigers
Oh yes, from DMC..

I love Tia's Cabin...I love that whole scene! I love the Tortuga scenes...especially when Norrington shows up...and Jack hides behind the plant...so great! I love the whole Isle de Crues scene...the sword fighting...and Jack's famous line..."so, who's fault is it really that you've ended up a rum-soaked deck hand what takes orders from Pirates, eh?"

I love the Persuade Me Scene....."Jack, the letters, give them back".."
"No, Persuade Me"....."You do know Will taught me how to handle a sword"...."As I said, Persuade Me.".....

Oh...Oh...and I love the entire Tortuga dock scene...from "Captain Sparrow, " "Come to join my crew, lad, Welcome Aboard".....to "Mr. Gibbs, we have our heading...."...."Finally"....."Miss Swann"......

I love everything about DMC....every scene is great.....except all the scenes with Will and the Flying Dutchman....I can't even bear to watch the whipping scene of Will's back..and I hate the dice game...and when the Kracken attacks the ship Will is on...after he escapes with Davy's key......

lovethemtigers
AWE.....I forgot, I do like the Parachute Scene....Brethren Court and Parlay (which I already mentioned) and the Pistol scene after they return from World's End....but other than those four scenes.....I hate AWE...not worth watching again.....

texgodiva2s
As over the top as it is, I love the full-court, industrial strength, world class, teflon coated, goods to the wall, sword fight between Jack and Davy Jones on the yardarm in the driving rain--it's just so classic. There is little grace in the pounding each provides the other. Jack, slicing off, Davy's face, knowing that it's now or never to save his own life. Davy Jones ceasing to think, just giving into the blind fury of his frustration and knowing that Calypso has slipped her one form.

and on a lighter note, I love the shivery monkey Jack, although the man breaking off his frozen toe is a yuck-o factor of 10. And the scene where the ship glides through the black night sea reflecting the sky of stars, you have to admit, it is a haunting and beautiful visual of total aloneness.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.