Droideka vs. Magnaguard

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthsith19
This is a shielded Droideka vs. a Magnaguard. I would say the Droideka - as far as I am aware of, Magnaguards can't block laser bolts with their staffs. However, I somewhere Anakin says that Magnaguards are superior to Droidekas (I think it was in the ROTS novel).

They start in the corridor in the Invisible Hand where Kenobi, Skywalker and Palpatine got trapped in the ray shield. Except there is no ray shield there. They start thirty feet away from each other. Who wins?

Jack of Storms
If the electrostaff can stop a lightsaber, I'm sure it could stop a blaster. I'm not sure, though, since they're designed to fight Jedi and not droids, but once it gets to the droideka, it's pretty much done.

Gideon
I think that if the droidekas were superior to the Magnaguards, General Grievous would have chosen to surround himself with them than his 'elite'.

darthsith19
IF it gets to the Droideka, you mean. Yeah, I'm sure the weapons could block blaster bolts, but could the droids? I doubt it, Jedi can because of the Force, Magnaguard's don't have the Force.

Maybe he choose the Magnaguards because they use melee combat, and he didn't fancy fighting Jedi while Droideka's fought Jedi alongside him. Sure the Jedi couldn't deflect laser bolts back at the Droideka's, to any effect, anyways, but they could deflect them towards Grievous. There are advantages to having bodyguards who use melee weapons.

I actually decided to go with the Droideka's. Anakin could be wrong, after all. But 2 Droideka's made Qui-Gon and TPM Kenobi run, maybe the Jedi would have won eventually, but Qui-Gon seemed to think that it would take more time than it was worth at least. Had it been two Magnaguards? I say they'd have lasted 10, 15 seconds tops against the Jedi. Hell, Kenobi along could have dealt with them and by the time he'd finished, Jinn would have been through the blast door.

In ROTS, Kenobi and Skywalker run from 3 of them, and they pwnd 2 Magnaguards. Hell, later on Kenobi beats 4 at once before fighting Grievous. In The Defense of Kamino, a bunch of Droideka's attack a few ARC's, I can't remember the details but I think it was lke 3 vs. 3, and it was pretty even and then Shaak Ti arrived and helped the last ARC alive of the 3 (Alpha). I say the Droideka's win.

Gideon
General Grievous is -- (not-so) secretly -- a coward; ergo, he seems to be the type who would prefer the most capable form of bodyguards and henchmen available to him. Why, then, would he surround himselves with Magnaguards if droidekas were superior to them?

The melee reasoning has no substance. Again: if the droidekas were superior, he would have commissioned them instead to work as his henchmen, since they would obviously kill Jedi in a more efficient manner.

darthsith19
How does the melee reasoning have to substance? It makes perfect sense - he is a coward, he wouldn't want to get hurt by deflected blasterfire.

Also, we know for a fact that Jedi Killer Droids are superior to both Droideka's and Magnaguards - so if Grievous were to use the most powerful droids, he would have used them. One of them trashed an ARC and gave Kit Fisto a nice fight - and Kit destroyed 2 Magnaguards in a few swings of his saber. So JK droids are far superior to Magnaguards.

Jack of Storms
Actually, thirty feet isn't a long distance at all. It could close the range before the destroyer droid can lay a lethal shot on it.

vader11
If this is a shielded Droideka, I don't see the magnaguard winning.
BTW, can lightsabers or magnaguard's staff penetrate through Droideka's shield?

darthsith19
Originally posted by vader11
If this is a shielded Droideka, I don't see the magnaguard winning.
BTW, can lightsabers or magnaguard's staff penetrate through Droideka's shield?
Well, it has never happened in any of the movies. It most games lightsabers can, but it takes a few hits to destroy toe shield first. But missles can go through them and so can the lasers on the Naboo Starfighter. They are energy shields, so I think it can hold off a certain amount of energy before being destroyed - a lightsaber blade is made of pure energy, so it destroys the shield after just a few hits, I think, while it could withstand many shots from a blaster before going down. That's my understanding, anyways.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.