Something you should think about

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lord xyz
Has anyone known someone who was raised Atheist/Agnostic, then chose to be of a certain religion? If so, what religion?

I for one, do not know anyone who has, but have heard the rumours. So, can someone tell me about that? If not, then, to me, that proves Atheism is right and religion IS stupid and bad.

SpearofDestiny
thumb down

DigiMark007
Actually, I know one. An atheist dad, agnostic mom. Two sons, one is a good friend of mine. He's an atheist but his brother converted to Catholicism a few years back. His family didn't do anything to bring it about, but they also didn't discourage it.

It neither proves nor denies much of anything though, xyz...it's just one case study amongst much more data, from which we could doubtless find similar cases.

debbiejo
It's really odd, but I really don't know any atheists. I do know some Catholics, who turned and my uncle for one, who seemed to act as though he was atheist....It really pissed my mom off..He would make bad bad Jesus jokes....lol

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lord xyz
Has anyone known someone who was raised Atheist/Agnostic, then chose to be of a certain religion? If so, what religion?

I for one, do not know anyone who has, but have heard the rumours. So, can someone tell me about that? If not, then, to me, that proves Atheism is right and religion IS stupid and bad.

Atheists can be just as stupid as the next person. Religion is not stupid; it is people who are stupid.

You should learn more about Buddhism, you might be that one atheist who converts to Buddhism. BTW you can be an atheist and a Buddhist at the same time.

FeceMan

Derkaderk. You it's bad when even Urizen gives you a "thumbs down."

Check the Internet.

lil bitchiness
Yes. My high school friend.

My high school friend's dad was a physics teacher and a mother a career adviser. They were both atheists.
She is a theist and a practicing pagan, although she tends to observe some abrahamic religious holidays. Dunno why.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Atheists can be just as stupid as the next person. Religion is not stupid; it is people who are stupid.

You should learn more about Buddhism, you might be that one atheist who converts to Buddhism. BTW you can be an atheist and a Buddhist at the same time.

Indeed. Some people do refer to Buddhists as Atheists. Originally posted by debbiejo
It's really odd, but I really don't know any atheists. I do know some Catholics, who turned and my uncle for one, who seemed to act as though he was atheist....It really pissed my mom off..He would make bad bad Jesus jokes....lol

You know, me neither when I think about it. I don't actually know anyone who claims to not believe in anything. I do know some people with some weird religious practices though...

leonheartmm
well buddhism isnt a THESITIC relegion to begin with is it. its more a philosophy

Bardock42
If not, then, to me, that proves Atheism is right and religion IS stupid and bad.
This sentence, to me, proves that you are stupid and bad at deductive reasoning.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Indeed. Some people do refer to Buddhists as Atheists.

There is no requirement in Buddhist to be a theist or an atheist.

debbiejo
You know, me neither when I think about it. I don't actually know anyone who claims to not believe in anything. I do know some people with some weird religious practices though... As do I. It seems that everyone I've ever met believes in something though they may say, "I don't know what it is" Or say, "Maybe there's something, I don't know." but to come out and really say for sure as fact, "I do not believe 100% that there is nothing after death." I really have not heard this from anyone I've met.

DigiMark007

Yeah, that's true. If pressed for further information beyond simply "I'm an atheist", I'll occasionally call myself Taoist as well...it just depends on whether or not the person is interested enough to hear about it. Usually I bring it up when referencing my code of morality (since way too many think think atheists can't be moral).

And to be honest, I'm in fundamental agreement with the large majority of Buddhist principles as well. My aversion for organized religion (or organized labels) usually keeps me away from it however, as well as various specific Buddhist beliefs that I can't openly espouse (like karma, for example).

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Yeah, that's true. If pressed for further information beyond simply "I'm an atheist", I'll occasionally call myself Taoist as well...it just depends on whether or not the person is interested enough to hear about it. Usually I bring it up when referencing my code of morality (since way too many think think atheists can't be moral).

And to be honest, I'm in fundamental agreement with the large majority of Buddhist principles as well. My aversion for organized religion (or organized labels) usually keeps me away from it however, as well as various specific Buddhist beliefs that I can't openly espouse (like karma, for example).

You should check out this thread:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=447678

DigiMark007
You should check out this thread:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=447678

Thanks, I read the opening post, but I feel like I understand it well enough. It runs hand in hand with determinism, which I have no problem with, but determinism doesn't = karma, or there'd be no need to differentiate the two. And I just see no reason to justify believing in it. It boils down to a mystical take on determinism, and uses it as an instructional tool. As a means to an end (Right Action, for example), it's fine, but the specific belief seems a bit silly...especially ideas like fixed karma and the possibility of it leaking into a future life (even though I cautiously believe in the possibility of reincarnation).

Again, simply using a cause/effect relationship to say that what we do will affect future generations is fine. But attempting to moralize it by implying positive/negative future results as a consequence of current action is preposterous, especially when positive/negative are a state of mind, not a reciprocated causal occurence.

Shakyamunison
Thanks, I read the opening post, but I feel like I understand it well enough. It runs hand in hand with determinism, which I have no problem with, but determinism doesn't = karma, or there'd be no need to differentiate the two. And I just see no reason to justify believing in it. It boils down to a mystical take on determinism, and uses it as an instructional tool. As a means to an end (Right Action, for example), it's fine, but the specific belief seems a bit silly...especially ideas like fixed karma and the possibility of it leaking into a future life (even though I cautiously believe in the possibility of reincarnation).

Again, simply using a cause/effect relationship to say that what we do will affect future generations is fine. But attempting to moralize it by implying positive/negative future results as a consequence of current action is preposterous, especially when positive/negative are a state of mind, not a reciprocated causal occurence.

Positive or negative are only tools; because the primary reason for Buddhism is to bring happiness into a person's life. From an indifferent point of view, there is no difference between positive or negative.

DigiMark007
But in that interpretation it becomes hard to see it as anything other than determinism re-packaged under a different guise. Why label it a "belief" at all when it could be more universally understood as simply the causal nature of the physical universe?

Shakyamunison
But in that interpretation it becomes hard to see it as anything other than determinism re-packaged under a different guise. Why label it a "belief" at all when it could be more universally understood as simply the causal nature of the physical universe?

Because the ideas in Buddhism are packaged in a very special way. An idea like Karma can be understood by the average person, but at the same time the idea can be expanded on, to a level that only a mast would understand. To tear one aspect out of this Buddhist construction is to miss a lot of the deeper points.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Bardock42
This sentence, to me, proves that you are stupid and bad at deductive reasoning. That was a joke. But how can you tell when it's me?

You should learn more about Buddhism, you might be that one atheist who converts to Buddhism. BTW you can be an atheist and a Buddhist at the same time. I never said atheists can't be stupid, some are on this forum. It's just the ideas of atheism (or rather, skepticism), which is smart, and religion which is stupid.

Originally posted by FeceMan
Derkaderk. You it's bad when even Urizen gives you a "thumbs down."

Check the Internet. He's just annoyed because I've given him so much disgust.Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Yes. My high school friend.

My high school friend's dad was a physics teacher and a mother a career adviser. They were both atheists.
She is a theist and a practicing pagan, although she tends to observe some abrahamic religious holidays. Dunno why. Maybe she was just fascinated by it and got suckered in. Being a theist isn't really bad, it's just suckery.

Indeed. Some people do refer to Buddhists as Atheists.

You know, me neither when I think about it. I don't actually know anyone who claims to not believe in anything. I do know some people with some weird religious practices though... I don't think anoyone can believe in nothing, it's not having faith in something, that's pretty much Atheism.

Shakyamunison
...I never said atheists can't be stupid, some are on this forum. It's just the ideas of atheism (or rather, skepticism), which is smart, and religion which is stupid. ...

Sorry, but to say that skepticism is smart and religion is stupid is ignorant. There are some religions that value skepticism.

lord xyz
Sorry, but to say that skepticism is smart and religion is stupid is ignorant. There are some religions that value skepticism. In a general and basic sense.

lil bitchiness
So basically you're generalizing and simplifying.

Storm
I never said atheists can't be stupid, some are on this forum. It's just the ideas of atheism (or rather, skepticism), which is smart, and religion which is stupid.
You seem to be preoccupied with atheism and theism itself, rather than the reasons why a person might be an atheist or a theist. Having the "right" conclusion, regardless of how one gets there, is not what matters. The means by which the belief was arrived at matter.

DigiMark007
lol

Generalizing isn't good (in general wink ). But there is a lot to be said of skepticism. It doesn't mean inherently disbelieving everything, but allowing what the facts (or lack thereof) tell us, not taking anything on intuition or invalid sources, and attempting to explain things via rational means before resorting to the paranormal and/or religious answers to these things.

Like shakya said, some religions value this (such as his Buddhism). Western religions generally don't, or only pay lip service to the idea without actually doing it. Catholicism comes to mind, as it is more aligned with scientific thought than most Christian denominations, though it still has its share of Bible-based proofs and arguments that fly in the face of empiricism.

lil bitchiness
Generalizing isn't good

Even that one?

DigiMark007
Even that one?

Generalizing isn't good (in general wink ).

big grin

Shakyamunison
Arguing over generalities is counter productive.

lil bitchiness
Arguing over generalities is counter productive.

a) We're not arguing. Its a joke that when someone says ''generalization is bad'' to point out that that is a generalization as well.

b) It is NOt counterproductive as it clearly illustrates what is wrong with the ideas of ''generalization'' to begin with.

Shakyamunison
a) We're not arguing. Its a joke that when someone says ''generalization is bad'' to point out that that is a generalization as well.

b) It is NOt counterproductive as it clearly illustrates what is wrong with the ideas of ''generalization'' to begin with.

So, you missed that fact that what I said was a generalization?

Bardock42
You three pain my brain.Originally posted by Storm
You seem to be preoccupied with atheism and theism itself, rather than the reasons why a person might be an atheist or a theist. Having the "right" conclusion, regardless of how one gets there, is not what matters. The means by which the belief was arrived at matter. Though, the conclusion is strongly related to the way you achieved it.

debbiejo
Okay, where are all the statistics?

Oh, and there are positives and negatives in relations to all things. Everything is polar.

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
Okay, where are all the statistics?

Oh, and there are possitves and negatives in relations to all things. On my statement?

I have none. Just my subjective observation, take it or leave it.

I figured Storm would agree, so I said it to strengthen her point.

lil bitchiness
You three pain my brain.

But you rhyme.

Bardock42
But you rhyme. Thanks for noticing, I liked that too happy

debbiejo
It's the only kind of poems you know how to do.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

DigiMark007
Thanks for noticing, I liked that too happy

She notices everything. Mother Russia is always watching.

shifty

SpearofDestiny
Because the ideas in Buddhism are packaged in a very special way. An idea like Karma can be understood by the average person, but at the same time the idea can be expanded on, to a level that only a mast would understand. To tear one aspect out of this Buddhist construction is to miss a lot of the deeper points.

Not to go off topic, but one of the reasons why I am invested in studying the theories behind the Law of Attraction is because it very well coincides with Buddhist theory on Karma.

They agree in many ways.

RUNMAN
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
Not to go off topic, but one of the reasons why I am invested in studying the theories behind the Law of Attraction is because it very well coincides with Buddhist theory on Karma.

They agree in many ways.

Correct sir! You are very insightful thumb up

SpearofDestiny

I understand your point, but your approach is completely childish, offensive, and stupid thumb down

I, myself, went from being Catholic, to Agnostic, to Atheist, to Buddhist Athiest, to Buddhist Agnostic. People make decisions based on what they learn from thier experiences.

If an Atheist not becoming religious serves as proof that religion is bad and stupid, while atheism is right, then your standards are very low.

lord xyz
So basically you're generalizing and simplifying. Yes.

Originally posted by Storm
You seem to be preoccupied with atheism and theism itself, rather than the reasons why a person might be an atheist or a theist. Having the "right" conclusion, regardless of how one gets there, is not what matters. The means by which the belief was arrived at matter. I understand, being atheist because you're gay is stupid. Still, aslong as they are in the right section, outside the bubble of delusion, they are okay.

lord xyz
I understand your point, but your approach is completely childish, offensive, and stupid thumb down

I, myself, went from being Catholic, to Agnostic, to Atheist, to Buddhist Athiest, to Buddhist Agnostic. People make decisions based on what they learn from thier experiences.

If an Atheist not becoming religious serves as proof that religion is bad and stupid, while atheism is right, then your standards are very low. You should know me enough by now to realise how to take me due to the words I choose.

SpearofDestiny
You should know me enough by now to realise how to take me due to the words I choose.

I understand that, but that's exactly the problem.

I know you don't literally mean what you said there, but it was the presentation itself I critisize, not you.

debbiejo

They agree in many ways. Yes that's true. Karma and the law of attraction are similar. What you put out, you eventually get back.

SpearofDestiny
Yes that's true. Karma and the law of attraction are similar. What you put out, you eventually get back.

thumb up

Also you enact and bring into your life the things you focus on. The mind is a magnet. And because living beings do have minds, we become every match for many natural forces.

lord xyz
I understand that, but that's exactly the problem.

I know you don't literally mean what you said there, but it was the presentation itself I critisize, not you. If that is so, I apoligise.

SpearofDestiny
No need to apologize to me, but thanks anyway.

I just want you to understand that if you truly feel strongly about a point you are making, don't do it in a way that will turn people off. You want people to hear you out first.

Take it from me. In the past, I had very good points in regards to Homosexuality/Religion/Christianity/Islam, etc. However, my points were clouded by the obvious anger attached to them. That Anger translated into disrespect, and then the essense of my points were lost.

I learned that If I want to be heard, I must address properly.

Only when I do not care about the subject do I make stupid/humorous comments.

debbiejo
You learn well Grasshopper...lol

*Goes back to watching Kung Fu*

DigiMark007
Law of attraction again? Christ, and I was enjoying this thread...

roll eyes (sarcastic)

spidey-dude
was wondering where digi hung out when not moderating

DigiMark007
Originally posted by spidey-dude
was wondering where digi hung out when not moderating

And the signature/sports forums. But that's about it.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
HOW DO I SHOT WEB

lord xyz
So anyway. Why do more people choose atheism over religion?

Bardock42
So anyway. Why do more people choose atheism over religion?

How do you mean that?

I think statistically more people chose Religion than atheism.

lord xyz
How do you mean that?

I think statistically more people chose Religion than atheism. Well, I'm saying that when given the choice, they don't buy the whole religion thing.

Bardock42
Well, I'm saying that when given the choice, they don't buy the whole religion thing. What do you base that on?

lord xyz
What do you base that on? I've never come across someone who chose religion, and most people who are religious have been under a warped influence.

Did I say that right? Meh, you understand me.

Bardock42
I've never come across someone who chose religion, and most people who are religious have been under a warped influence.

Did I say that right? Meh, you understand me. Maybe because there are much less Atheists than Religious people. Maybe because you don't have much to do with Religious people...maybe etc.

lord xyz
Maybe because there are much less Atheists than Religious people. Maybe because you don't have much to do with Religious people...maybe etc. What does there being more of the other have to do with people going down that path?

Bardock42
What does there being more of the other have to do with people going down that path?

Well...if there are more Religious people than Atheists there will be more Religious people becoming Atheists than Atheists becoming Religious even if the percentages are the same.

DigiMark007
What Bardock said...religion's more prevalent in society than atheism, so it's more likely to occur that direction than the other simply because there's more people for it to happen to, even if an equal percentage of both do the same. It's simple statistical certainty.

A few individual cases (among many more) of the reverse were cited on page 1 (one by me) so it can work both ways.

I think, xyz, that you're trying to determine a trend with grossly insufficient evidence, and basing it mainly on your own assumptions and experiences.

SpearofDestiny
Pretty much thumb up

Besides, religion itself is not bad. People and thier actions and opinions based on a religion can be bad or good. Religion has brought good to the world as well, not just evil.

parenthesis
****!

lord xyz
Well...if there are more Religious people than Atheists there will be more Religious people becoming Atheists than Atheists becoming Religious even if the percentages are the same. Yeah, but that's not the point.

What Bardock said...religion's more prevalent in society than atheism, so it's more likely to occur that direction than the other simply because there's more people for it to happen to, even if an equal percentage of both do the same. It's simple statistical certainty.

A few individual cases (among many more) of the reverse were cited on page 1 (one by me) so it can work both ways.

I think, xyz, that you're trying to determine a trend with grossly insufficient evidence, and basing it mainly on your own assumptions and experiences. I'll accept that, but I'm still right.

spidey-dude
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
HOW DO I SHOT WEB how do i shoot web it says

debbiejo
Law of attraction again? Christ, and I was enjoying this thread...

roll eyes (sarcastic) But you were attracted here. roll eyes (sarcastic)

DigiMark007
But you were attracted here. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Not by that I wasn't!

stick out tongue

debbiejo
How can you be so sure? LOL

Zeal Ex Nihilo

lord xyz
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
His evidence for no evolution is the Bible.

Though, after many posts in this thread, I guess there are people who convert to religion from atheism.

However, the reasons they converted are illogical at best.

Zeal Ex Nihilo

lord xyz
the reasons they converted are illogical at best.

debbiejo
Okay, something you should think about. We are here to have fun as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

Good? Yes?

Okay.

Zeal Ex Nihilo

phail

DigiMark007
However, the reasons they converted are illogical at best.

You just revel in the generalizations, don't you? I'm not a theist, and even I'm strongly disagreeing with you this entire time. I explained why you perceive the things you do earlier (simple statistical analysis) and your rebuttal is to say, in a nutshell, that "Ok, but they're illogical". People become atheists for illogical reasons ("I just don't feel god anymore"wink as well as logical ones. And the reverse is true too. There's illogical and logical reasons to be a theist, regardless of your perception of it (or mine).

So of course you think they're all illogical, because you see theism as illogical. But they both run both ways....and trying to analyze something this diverse and complex on anything but an individual level is just plain ignorant. And also more than a little arrogant, because the way you're coming across makes it seem like you think you have a copyright on intelligence.

I'm guessing you'll continue your unfounded tirades against theism now, so I'm probably done here.

leonheartmm
zeal ex nihilo, this has been dealt with.

lord xyz
You just revel in the generalizations, don't you? I'm not a theist, and even I'm strongly disagreeing with you this entire time. I explained why you perceive the things you do earlier (simple statistical analysis) and your rebuttal is to say, in a nutshell, that "Ok, but they're illogical". People become atheists for illogical reasons ("I just don't feel god anymore"wink as well as logical ones. And the reverse is true too. There's illogical and logical reasons to be a theist, regardless of your perception of it (or mine).

So of course you think they're all illogical, because you see theism as illogical. But they both run both ways....and trying to analyze something this diverse and complex on anything but an individual level is just plain ignorant. And also more than a little arrogant, because the way you're coming across makes it seem like you think you have a copyright on intelligence.

I'm guessing you'll continue your unfounded tirades against theism now, so I'm probably done here. Well, I'm sorry but, I've just never seen a logical reason for theism. And yes, you are right that there are illogical reasons for atheism.

chickenlover98
the logical reason for theism would be fear IMO. fear of what happens when we die and then there's "miracles". everyone wants answers, religion gives it em

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by leonheartmm
zeal ex nihilo, this has been dealt with.
Kind of like every other topic on this forum.

debbiejo
Well, I'm sorry but, I've just never seen a logical reason for theism. And yes, you are right that there are illogical reasons for atheism. Agreed to a point.

Victor Von Doom
Well, you're certainly holding this debate together, Deborah.

debbiejo
LOl,.........you think? laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.