Final Fantasy VIII

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JaccArlington
Final Fantasy VIII. The most highly anticipated game of the 1998 release season. Some of you have merited it the worst in the series, however, I personally believe it the best. Everyone's thoughts? And, please, let's limit the amount of "I hate this game" comments to a minimum. I know you all do. One time telling me is enough...

BackFire
I do think it's one of the weaker games in the series. The draw system was terrible, and the story fell apart towards the end, lazily introducing the final villain only a short time before you actually battle her. Also found the characters to be uninteresting, shallow and one dimensional.

Still, it's a good game. I do enjoy playing it, but compared to the greatness of some of the other FF games, it just can't compete.

Ushgarak
It's not a dreadful game, but the draw system is unnecessarily tedious, there is no interesting villain and the plot completely falls apart. It's never going to be remembred as one of the Final Fantasy super-classics.

shin_gear
Great game.

Soljer
It's not a bad game.

It just can't match up to the WONDERFUL games that came before it. It's my personal belief that six and seven were the best and strongest games in the series thus far. Therefore, the bar was set extraordinarily high, and VIII just couldn't clear it.

Still not a bad game.

SasuSaku

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by BackFire
The draw system was terrible lmao "Damnit.. I forgot to stock up on 'Cure'... *dies*"

SasuSaku

grey fox
Worst in the series. Even X-2 and Tactics advance >>>>8

SasuSaku

shin_gear
Yeah, such a bad game would get an 86% on Gamerankings laughing out loud

Violent2Dope
FFVIII jad the potential to be the best, blame Ultimecia for it's failure(don't get me wrong I still enjoy it).

Ushgarak
I think the Ultimecia thing is something all can agree on (at least, a lot more can agree on than normally when it comes to video games)

From IV onwards, Final Fantasy realised that straight dungeoneering and levelling was not going to interest people on its own any more and it made this switch to character-based storylines. It is on those storylines that it has built its success since, and the vital part of those storylines is the characters. FF plots often do not make 100% sense- FFX is full of plot holes, for example, and is connsidered a classic.

FFVIIIs story is probably the most compromised. It could have saved all that with decent characters, but it really does not. Squall is beyond irritating all the way, some of the other characters are ok but nothing that really breaks through, Seifer could have been a great foil but instead just bcomes a thug you beat up every so often (interestingly, the game probably would have been better playing AS Seifer...)

Now, much of that can be argued. But I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks Ultimecia is any damn good at all. Truly one of the worst villains ever- you have no idea of motive, personality, charisma... anything. And FF games simply cannot survive without some kind of quality in the main villain.

JaccArlington
I agree with Ush... Ultimecia was poorly led up to... But I must disagree on Squall. While he is annoying to some extent, he really grew on me over time, becoming one of my favorite characters in the entire series altogether, though I must admit, Selphie and Irvine beat him out by a long-shot before it was over... It's true that the concept of Seifer was probably more a thug than anything, but it would have been very interesting to play from his standpoint, even if only for a bit. The draw system, is, without doubt the game's greatest let-down. It had the potential to be something great for your magic, but after the materia issue in FF7, 8 had no chance of even slightly beating the magic issue. I still say 7 had the best magic system in the series. I disagree with the whole "X-2" was better thing, though, as X-2 was a bunch of teenybopper, high school cheerleader like girls running around giggling all throughout the story, and ultimately became, as I saw it put somewhere (I wish I could credit where, because the writer was a genius for saying it this way) a Charlie's Angels rehash of Final Fantasy. It was heralded as a great game, but still... I think that, in theory, 8 has it beaten in that it was at least an original concept, not a continuance of a previous title, though I must say that the continuances of 7 are very well-done. All in all, however, I must say that 8 is, in my opinion, one of the greatest games in the history of the PSX.

Although I am slightly biased, as it was my first Final Fantasy...

grey fox
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I think the Ultimecia thing is something all can agree on (at least, a lot more can agree on than normally when it comes to video games)

From IV onwards, Final Fantasy realised that straight dungeoneering and levelling was not going to interest people on its own any more and it made this switch to character-based storylines. It is on those storylines that it has built its success since, and the vital part of those storylines is the characters. FF plots often do not make 100% sense- FFX is full of plot holes, for example, and is connsidered a classic.

FFVIIIs story is probably the most compromised. It could have saved all that with decent characters, but it really does not. Squall is beyond irritating all the way, some of the other characters are ok but nothing that really breaks through, Seifer could have been a great foil but instead just bcomes a thug you beat up every so often (interestingly, the game probably would have been better playing AS Seifer...)

Now, much of that can be argued. But I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks Ultimecia is any damn good at all. Truly one of the worst villains ever- you have no idea of motive, personality, charisma... anything. And FF games simply cannot survive without some kind of quality in the main villain.

I've always been of the opinion that (while cliched) it would of been SO much Superior to have Seifer follow the group and inadvertently gain Ultemecias powers.

That way we'd dump the crappy hag , gain the main villain and then get a decent final battle that no one has seen since FFVI.

Violent2Dope
I don't know why you all hate the draw system. When used right your characters become like Gods. My team was always Squall, Rinoa, and Zell.

Ushgarak
No-one is disliking it on grounds that it underpowers you. I hate it because it is so boring; fight after fight spent just drawing spell uses out of bad guys. It slows the pace and excitement of the game considerably.

Tellling they never used anything remotely like it again.

Superboy Prime
I loved it. ultimecia was gay. Squall was annoying in the beginning, but he slowly began to change the more time he spent with Rinoa. The love story ticked many off as well, myself included. However after numerous playthroughs I began to appreciate it. It doesn't hurt the fact FFVIII had superior character development than FF7. But in the end Ultimecia ruined it.

In any case you can't ***** about the intro. 131

Violent2Dope
Yeah, f*ck Ultimecia, and her half-covered breasts!

InnerRise

Superboy Prime
Originally posted by InnerRise
Bad Game? No.

Different..........and not as Serious as others in the series......Yes.

There's a difference.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

True. Square Enix was smart enough not to make it FF12.

shin_gear
I hate your opinion.

Superboy Prime
superdur

shin_gear
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
superdur And now I love you! hug

Dude you should make it your avatar for little bit..313

Edit: Nevermind. 131

Lana
I loved it. ultimecia was gay. Squall was annoying in the beginning, but he slowly began to change the more time he spent with Rinoa. The love story ticked many off as well, myself included. However after numerous playthroughs I began to appreciate it. It doesn't hurt the fact FFVIII had superior character development than FF7. But in the end Ultimecia ruined it.

In any case you can't ***** about the intro. 131

Squall actually didn't change at all. He stayed as whiny and pissy all through the game as he was in the start. There really wasn't any character development at all in that game, anyway.

Anyway, FFVIII isn't a bad game in itself. Just as a Final Fantasy, it didn't live up. The draw system was downright boring, and the plot really was rushed towards the end which killed it. I like the game a lot, it was the first FF I actually beat, but it's really not that great.

shin_gear
FFVIII was not a bad game in my opinion.

On a side note...I would like to play Lana in a game online...that would kick ass.

Superboy Prime
Originally posted by Lana
Squall actually didn't change at all. He stayed as whiny and pissy all through the game as he was in the start. There really wasn't any character development at all in that game, anyway.

Opinion not fact. And yes I am aware I stated earlier the game had better character development than FFVII. I take it back. It is not a fact, but simply my opinion.

Anyway, FFVIII isn't a bad game in itself. Just as a Final Fantasy, it didn't live up. The draw system was downright boring, and the plot really was rushed towards the end which killed it. I like the game a lot, it was the first FF I actually beat, but it's really not that great.

It is great to me. However I can understand people not liking it. So I ain't gonna ***** about this.

Lana
Originally posted by shin_gear
FFVIII was not a bad game in my opinion.

On a side note...I would like to play Lana in a game online...that would kick ass.

I don't play games online and don't really like multiplayer in most cases, so it'd never happen stick out tongue

Opinion not fact. And yes I am aware I stated earlier the game had better character development than FFVII. I take it back. It is not a fact, but simply my opinion.

It is great to me. However I can understand people not liking it. So I ain't gonna ***** about this.

I dunno, the fact that Squall was as much a surly teenager towards the end as he was at the start and the other characters didn't do much but serve as cheerleaders isn't quite simply opinion since it can clearly be seen in the game. There was SOME change, but it was only right at the very end and didn't really seem to make any sense at all.

I loved the game when I first played it and beat it, and I'm always going to like it. But there are much better games out there and especially among FF, VIII just can't really compare.

I think the plot would have been better if they had compacted the stuff in the beginning more and thus had been able to introduce the events of the end earlier, which would have made it not so rushed and pretty much pointless.

Superboy Prime
I don't play games online and don't really like multiplayer in most cases, so it'd never happen stick out tongue

I dunno, the fact that Squall was as much a surly teenager towards the end as he was at the start and the other characters didn't do much but serve as cheerleaders isn't quite opinion since it can clearly be seen in the game.

I loved the game when I first played it and beat it, and I'm always going to like it. But there are much better games out there and especially among FF, VIII just can't really compare.

I think the plot would have been better if they had compacted the stuff in the beginning more and thus had been able to introduce the events of the end earlier, which would have made it not so rushed and pretty much pointless.

What happens in the game is up to how you see it. Which is clearly an opinion. If you saw no character development then IMO you are blind. I, on the other hand, could go on and on establishing all the character development, but it will get boring and I am not in the mood for something like that. Not to mention in the end it is just how I saw it and someone else might come along and either say I'm bullshitting or say you're out of your mind. In the end the way we experience the games we play can difer so much I am beginning to realize it is somewhat pointless to try and convince someone else otherwise.

Edea was a nice nemesis. They loved her as a mother, and now they had to fulfill their duty as SeeD to take her out. When they got rid of Edea as the main antagonist at the end of the 2nd disc(if I'm not mistaken) I could already see the plot going downhill.

Violent2Dope
Squall was much different at the end IMO.

Lana
What happens in the game is up to how you see it. Which is clearly an opinion. If you saw no character development then IMO you are blind. I, on the other hand, could go on and on establishing all the character development, but it will get boring and I am not in the mood for something like that. Not to mention in the end it is just how I saw it and someone else might come along and either say I'm bullshitting or say you're out of your mind. In the end the way we experience the games we play can difer so much I am beginning to realize it is somewhat pointless to try and convince someone else otherwise.

Edea was a nice nemesis. They loved her as a mother, and now they had to fulfill their duty as SeeD to take her out. When they got rid of Edea as the main antagonist at the end of the 2nd disc(if I'm not mistaken) I could already see the plot going downhill.

Blind? No.

Edea should have been kept on as the main enemy, I agree. But no, it just passes on and on so that when you get to Ultimecia you're just like "****, another one?"

Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Squall was much different at the end IMO.

He really does not change that much, and what change did occur did in about 5 minutes towards the end. Not so much development but more "crap must speed up this romance plot".

And personally, I felt Squall and Rinoa's romance felt really contrived and not at all real. I mean, I hated Tidus and Yuna as well, but at least their love story was a lot more realistic.

shin_gear
I don't play games online and don't really like multiplayer in most cases, so it'd never happen stick out tongueAww man...I wonder if we could at least chat though sometime...besides I wanted to chat with you WHILE playing a game with each other. sad

Superboy Prime
Because Squall did not pick up a comatose Rinoa and walk all the way to Laguna's empire just so she could get medical attention. Because I did not see Squall put on a space suit and then go after Rinoa to rescue her. Because I did not see Squall start being nicer to Zell, who he classified a moron. Because I did not see Squall respect Laguna--who in the beginning Squall considered an idiot. Etc. Etc. The way I saw it Rinoa's personality began to influence Squall before he even realized it. Which is why he began to panic whenever he thought he would actually lose her. He had slowly grown attached to the very persistent Rinoa. And attachment is the exact opposite of his "loner" personality at the beginning of the game.

I give up. We had 2 completely different experiences. It is not really worth it. In my first playthrough I had all of those problems with Squall and Rinoa's romance. But maybe since I replayed the game 4 times I was able to grasp the story in more detail, but whatever. I won't strike to make you think otherwise.

Violent2Dope
Because Squall did not pick up a comatose Rinoa and walk all the way to Laguna's empire just so she could get medical attention. Because I did not see Squall put on a space suit and then go after Rinoa to rescue her. Because I did not see Squall start being nicer to Zell, who he classified a moron. Because I did not see Squall respect Laguna--who in the beginning Squall considered an idiot. Etc. Etc. The way I saw it Rinoa's personality began to influence Squall before he even realized it. Which is why he began to panic whenever he thought he would actually lose her. He had slowly grown attached to the very persistent Rinoa. And attachment is the exact opposite of his "loner" personality at the beginning of the game.

I give up. We had 2 completely different experiences. It is not really worth it. yes

InnerRise
It is not really worth it. You're right b/c things like this always show potential to manifest into a full blown argument disguised as debating.

I won't strike to make you think otherwise. You best believe they'll try and convince you though.

Best to get out now like you said.

Superboy Prime
I realize stating some stuff Squall did is an attempt to convince someone, but I just felt the need to adress some of the stuff he had done before 5 minutes into the end of the game.

Violent2Dope
I realize stating some stuff Squall did is an attempt to convince someone, but I just felt the need to adress some of the stuff he had done before 5 minutes into the end of the game. And you did it well. thumbsupdur

Superboy Prime
And you did it well. thumbsupdur

w00tdur

ESB -1138
Originally posted by JaccArlington
Final Fantasy VIII. The most highly anticipated game of the 1998 release season. Some of you have merited it the worst in the series, however, I personally believe it the best. Everyone's thoughts? And, please, let's limit the amount of "I hate this game" comments to a minimum. I know you all do. One time telling me is enough...

....it came out in 1999. And at the time the graphics were top notch but best in the series I believe it not to be. Final Fantasy IV still holds my vote for the best of the series. It popularized many common console role-playing game features.

It was also one of the first role-playing games to feature a complex, involving plot. I don't consider 8 the worse; that belongs to 10. For goodness sake; you couldn't go through a random encounter without a cutscene happening. Let me play the game!

Anywho; onto 8. I really didn't like it overall but there are things I did like. The first two discs I would be more than happy to play but everything from then on I would rather discard. Also I found the draw feature pretty useless considering all you needed was the GFs and cure and you are set. The game was pretty easy considering you have (basically) unlimited uses of the GFs and one of them (Eden) could do more than 20,000 points of damage.

Having to collect items just to upgrade your weapons seemed pointless. I would rather go to a weapon's shop to buy some new stuff. Again the last two discs made no sense. They rushed the "true" villain when they already had an established character just to be quickly discarded at the beginning of the third disc.

Superboy Prime

shin_gear
superdur

Manslayer
ffviii is abit face paced imo, VII is the better one though it is slightly overrated. And imo XII isnt that bad, it just has a weak story and far too much gameplay

ESB -1138
IV is the best

InnerRise
Originally posted by Manslayer
ffviii is abit face paced imo, VII is the better one though it is slightly overrated. And imo XII isnt that bad, it just has a weak story and far too much gameplay Too Much Gameplay? Isn't that why we play games........to actually PLAY them?

Story is pretty good, I think.

Why is it that you think it's weak? B/c it didn't go hardcore with the romantics like usual?

SelphieT
I love this game, first FF I ever played. Ultimecia's Castle is my favorite area. Too bad its sooooo late in the game.

JaccArlington
I think my favorite place is the Undersea Research Complex where you get Bahamut. Just because you get Bahamut. Dragon summoning kicks ass...

JKozzy
Too Much Gameplay? Isn't that why we play games........to actually PLAY them?

Why is it that you think it's weak? B/c it didn't go hardcore with the romantics like usual?

Anata wa wakarimasu ka..... I think he means the game is too long.... which really is completely different than too much gameplay. By nature, FF games are very long anyway... so it's to be expected, I guess. You know what you're getting yourself into.

SelphieT
I think my favorite place is the Undersea Research Complex where you get Bahamut. Just because you get Bahamut. Dragon summoning kicks ass...

Yeah. Its perfect to have Rinoa at that stage, so you can use her limit break, and become invincible.

pr1983
I agree with what people said about the draw system in that, it did slow the game down, but in the end it was worth it imo...

by the end of disc 1 my squall was pushing 4000hp with some creative junctioning, so i was strolling through bosses, and that was all down to the draw system... i prefer it to the materia system of VII, as i was able to share magic out between players...

and i just beat omega weapon in ultimecia's castle, very, very easily... and a large part of that is down to the draw and magic system...

not blowing my own horn or anything, just using examples...

i don't agree that squall didnt change, imo he was forced to, to become this leader, and he was obviously uncomfortable with it... and he did fall for rinoa in his own way...

at the end of disc 2 (where i'm currently stuck in one of my saves, as the damn ps2 keeps freezing during the fight with the rocket man), when you're at the gate, i just wanted to slap irvine for going on about rinoa... she's hanging off a ledge? big f*cking deal, the entire garden is being attacked you dumbshit...

ultimecia was a poor boss i agree, i would have much preferred seifer and edea to last out the game... and the whole orphanage thing did bug me...

whether its better or not, i honestly enjoy VIII more than any of the games that followed it...

and the cg sequences? even now they're nothing short of gorgeous...

Violent2Dope
I beat Omega Weapon in one move, Selpie's The End lol. On my second playthru tho I beat it fairly.

pr1983
I beat Omega Weapon in one move, Selpie's The End lol. On my second playthru tho I beat it fairly.

i never really used selphie, as her limits always seemed to be based on random luck... same with rinoa...

Superboy Prime

I loved the way Squall's Renzokuken totally owned Bahamut's wings. durlaugh

Violent2Dope
I love how lionhart looks when used on Jumbo Cactuar, funniest shit in the game.

ESB -1138
far too much gameplay

SelphieT
I always got Squall's lionhart weapon, but he never did use the damn limit break that came with it. Whats up with that?

Manslayer
Too Much Gameplay? Isn't that why we play games........to actually PLAY them? Sorry i did not specify clearer, i meant to say it lacked depth when compared to other FF like vii and X, too much gameplay as in there arent as much cut scenes as the previous FF's which give me a better idea of the story

Naw not that, i would like it if they go deeper into the characters and add much more depth, when i said weak its only weak when compared to the other FF's like 7 and 10, i didnt say the story was bad

But to be honest im more fond of playing XII than all the others, why? because i love the gameplay, it is very similar to star wars kotor

InnerRise
Sorry i did not specify clearer, i meant to say it lacked depth when compared to other FF like vii and X, too much gameplay as in there arent as much cut scenes as the previous FF's which give me a better idea of the story

Naw not that, i would like it if they go deeper into the characters and add much more depth, when i said weak its only weak when compared to the other FF's like 7 and 10, i didnt say the story was bad

But to be honest im more fond of playing XII than all the others, why? because i love the gameplay, it is very similar to star wars kotor That's exactly what I thought you meant when you said "Too much gameplay."

Too much actual gameplaying and not enough Beautiful Cut Scenes to watch and move you through the story.

Too each his own I guess.

I do like watching the cutscenes as well, but I wouldn't want them to take any gameplaying out. They can always add more cutscenes but keep the same amount of gameplaying in. The game would just be longer. (Which isn't what your issue was with the game as you clarified)

I do agree though with the character development.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

pr1983
i still love the part when squall and rinoa are sprinting across the battlefield while there's a cg battle in the background...

DigiMark007
I never finished VIII. I just stopped playing at one point and never came back...I think that's pretty telling.

Even VII was "meh" after the first disc because it plodded (but the first disc was, admittedly, orgasmic and emotional).

The FF series for a while now has always been about characters and story...and often those two things need to make up for a lot that is lacking in the gameplay. I beat VII and IX, failed at VIII and dabbled in a few others. And eventually it just wasn't worth it for me anymore...I can get the same quality story from a book in about 1/10 the time. I dislike random battles (SO annoying sometimes) and always had a problem with mixing magic/fantasy and tech. And then there's random things like the draw system that aren't good either. Again, all things the story needs to overcome. Sometimes it does. With VIII it didn't.

Ushgarak
I think this argument about 'too much gameplay', although poorly expressed, actually has its basis in a genuine point.

Imagine the whole FF exprience with all story and character removed, when all you are is an anonymous guy who kills monsters and goes up in levels, with no context, in just flat dungeons with no names or reasons for being there, until the game ends.

That's 100% gameplay. But it's no bloody good, is it?

I think the root of the 'too much gameplay' complaint is saying that FFVIII had too much gridning and pointless random battle repetition and not enough to actually get you 'into' the game.

Which is a fair complaint. Though actually I think IX had bigger problems in the grinding department because the fights were too slow. The fights in FFVIII were fine.

ESB -1138
You basically described FF1

Lana
I think this argument about 'too much gameplay', although poorly expressed, actually has its basis in a genuine point.

Imagine the whole FF exprience with all story and character removed, when all you are is an anonymous guy who kills monsters and goes up in levels, with no context, in just flat dungeons with no names or reasons for being there, until the game ends.

That's 100% gameplay. But it's no bloody good, is it?

I think the root of the 'too much gameplay' complaint is saying that FFVIII had too much gridning and pointless random battle repetition and not enough to actually get you 'into' the game.

Which is a fair complaint. Though actually I think IX had bigger problems in the grinding department because the fights were too slow. The fights in FFVIII were fine.

Don't even get me started on the fights in IX.

As annoying as drawing was in VIII, the fights did go quickly (unless you summoned a GF every turn).

Ushgarak
ESB- Indeed; I was actually going to use complaints levelled against the re-release of FFIII as an example of the point but I thought I'd keep the point direct and maybe throw that in if it went on.

And so now you mention it- I don't think we can pretend that the non-gameplay elements added since FFI aren't very welcome, and if a game does not have enough of those you could say that the game focussed too much on gameplay rather than all-around entertainment.

Ushgarak
Don't even get me started on the fights in IX.

As annoying as drawing was in VIII, the fights did go quickly (unless you summoned a GF every turn).

Yes, except for the drawing. Other than that the VIII fights were actually rather snappy and fun. I actually did a whole lot of grinding in VIII which I didn't mind too much. Certainly more fun than the storyline.

But then X had snappy combat as well, and a much better story.

Lana
Yes, except for the drawing. Other than that the VIII fights were actually rather snappy and fun. I actually did a whole lot of grinding in VIII which I didn't mind too much. Certainly more fun than the storyline.

But then X had snappy combat as well, and a much better story.

I remember getting my entire party in VIII up to level 100, and I know I didn't even hit 60 hours in that game, so yeah, definitely was quick fighting.

And we all know what I think of FFX. That game I actually truly liked random battles. Being able to swap characters during combat and seeing when each person/enemy would attack was great.

BackFire
I liked the combat in IX. More that each character had a distinct and unique role, rather than everyone doing more or less the same thing, like VIII.

Ushgarak
Yup, agreed. The distinct characters of IX were much better than the mix-and-match personality lack of VIII, which was also a problem with the materia system in VII.

BackFire
Right on. But VII got away with it because it's story was good.

VIII, not so much.

Violent2Dope
In VIII my Rinoa, Zell, and Squall were level 100, the others were only in their teens lol.

pr1983
Right on. But VII got away with it because it's story was good.

VIII, not so much.

i liked it... in parts at least... shrug

In VIII my Rinoa, Zell, and Squall were level 100, the others were only in their teens lol.

i noticed that too... i had squall, zell and irvine on 100 while the rest were barely pushing 20... wasnt very balanced...

BackFire
Yes, in parts I did too.

As a whole, it was sloppy and weak.

pr1983
Yes, in parts I did too.

As a whole, it was sloppy and weak.

i still prefer it over what followed to be honest though...

ESB -1138
ESB- Indeed; I was actually going to use complaints levelled against the re-release of FFIII as an example of the point but I thought I'd keep the point direct and maybe throw that in if it went on.

Oh come now just because III didn't have a cutscene every 10 seconds (cough X cough) doesn't mean III DS wasn't worthy on being released. After all III was never released outside of Japan so many, many people never experienced it before and the story was clear as the game progressed but it really didn't get side tracked as many of the RPGs do now a days just to try to add an hour into what otherwise would have been a short RPG.

Ushgarak
Nonetheless, it is a common complaint against III that is not without validity. It's a very sterile experience.

JToTheP
Is THAT what this thread has turned into? Naming flaws in a game, that's the fault of Squaresoft in Japan for programming the game that way? Oh, great thread direction

Lana
Nonetheless, it is a common complaint against III that is not without validity. It's a very sterile experience.

Yup. There's not much of a plot to III and what's there isn't very engaging.

Originally posted by JToTheP
Is THAT what this thread has turned into? Naming flaws in a game, that's the fault of Squaresoft in Japan for programming the game that way? Oh, great thread direction

Err, it's a thread about the discussion of a game, part of that can be picking out the flaws in it.

SelphieT
Malboro's were such jerks in this game. Took me forever to actually kill one. Ridiculous.

JaccArlington
Malboros were a problem, yes, but personally my biggest irk (other than the word "irk"wink was the fight Laguna and company had with the Esthar soldiers on Disc One... I had to break out GF's for WAY too long to beat them...

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by SelphieT
Malboro's were such jerks in this game. Took me forever to actually kill one. Ridiculous. I f*ckin HATED those bastards. F*ck them and their stink ass breath!

Superboy Prime
I f*ckin HATED those bastards. F*ck them and their stink ass breath!

LoL. I actually hated Malboros in X. Don't know...but when it had the first attack and it did the toxin move...my entire party was asleep, confused, blind, berserked. you name it....so I had no other choice but to sit back and watch as my party continued to attack each other while missing while taking health away from them until they all died.

Awesome stuff.

Lana
Wow, I actually never had any trouble with Marlboros in VIII or X.

And in XII, well...they should be extinct, the way I went around killing them ermm

SelphieT

And in XII, well...they should be extinct, the way I went around killing them ermm

Took me forever to get enough magic junctioned to beat them. Plus by then my characters were pretty strong, so the Malboro's had leveled up as well. So I'd try to have Tonberry by then, so I could use the level down trick.

Violent2Dope

And in XII, well...they should be extinct, the way I went around killing them ermm In X they were alot easier IMO. Eventually I got so good that the only thing that could beat me was a powerful boss like Omega Weapon and others.

Lana
Only thing I ever had any trouble with in FFX was the very first time I went in Omega Ruins, and then the Monster Arena creations stick out tongue everything else was dead easy.

Violent2Dope
Only thing I ever had any trouble with in FFX was the very first time I went in Omega Ruins, and then the Monster Arena creations stick out tongue everything else was dead easy. That last boss in the Monster Arena is f*ckin powerful.

Ushgarak
Well, you know, this is all part of a game design debate.

Should it actually be a design objective to make FF games difficult? There can be a big debate on that one.

InnerRise
Most of the time it's good to have some difficulty in a game to make it challenging, but to go into a game with the intention of making a difficult game is not good in my opinion. Try and make a fun game and then flesh out from that as need be.

Not to say that Final Fantasy games aren't fun......because they are.

I think Final Fantasy III is a fine example of a game that doesn't need to be as difficult as it is. They could have revamped the remake in that respective. The lack of save points in dungeons just made that game not fun for me. Having to replay a dungeon over and over can get rather daunting and therefore make a game unenjoyable after a while.

S_D_J

laughing

the only time I considered Malboros hard was in FF8, and that's cuz I didnt understand the mechanics of the game, I relied way too much on GFs... what was hard was to get that Malboro thingy to make the weapons... boy I hated when they didn't dropped it

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by S_D_J
laughing

the only time I considered Malboros hard was in FF8, and that's cuz I didnt understand the mechanics of the game, I relied way too much on GFs... what was hard was to get that Malboro thingy to make the weapons... boy I hated when they didn't dropped it Yeah, I used to play like that. And finding Adamantoises for that material for the Lionhart weapon was bullshit, they only appear on a specific beach, and they do so rarely.

Ushgarak
At least VIII Marlboros gave decent xp when killed. One issue with FF is that solo monsters, even if very difficult, normally give crappy xp, disproportionate to how hard they were to beat.

Manslayer
Well the one who seems impossible to kill is yiazmat from xii

SelphieT
laughing

the only time I considered Malboros hard was in FF8, and that's cuz I didnt understand the mechanics of the game, I relied way too much on GFs... what was hard was to get that Malboro thingy to make the weapons... boy I hated when they didn't dropped it

I always tried to just Mug them.

Violent2Dope
One thing I disliked about VIII, was that bosses give you no XP at all.

gogogadgetgo
ff viii was relitively easy. no need to level your characters as the monsters and boses were in direct proportion to you current level.

JaccArlington
I always tried to just Mug them.

heheheh... i mugged everything... they were SO not getting away without me doing damage and stealing their stuff... maybe that's why Rikku was my favorite in X-2...

SelphieT
One thing I disliked about VIII, was that bosses give you no XP at all.

Its better to get an assload of AP, rather EXP. Monsters get hella stronger when you level up, but if you are low level, with high AP, hells yeah!

SelphieT
heheheh... i mugged everything... they were SO not getting away without me doing damage and stealing their stuff... maybe that's why Rikku was my favorite in X-2...

Yeah, once Diablo FINALLY learned Mug, I was muggin everything!

S_D_J
Yeah, once Diablo FINALLY learned Mug, I was muggin everything!

Diablo? confused ... was that the dog? confused

Well the one who seems impossible to kill is yiazmat from xii

yiazmat is fairly easy... it' just takes way too much time to be done with....

I remember I left the controller at a side and watch TV instead, it was an "all Gambits" battle... lots of panacea...or elixir ..or whatever it's called, and Bubble, strength up (don't remember its proper name), berserk and speed up in stronger tank.... and:
any 50% HP ------ Curaja
any 30% HP------- Phoenix Tail
any 30% HP ------ Revive

...and he was all done with big grin

SelphieT
Diablo? confused ... was that the dog? confused

yiazmat is fairly easy... it' just takes way too much time to be done with....

I remember I left the controller at a side and watch TV instead, it was an "all Gambits" battle... lots of panacea...or elixir ..or whatever it's called, and Bubble, strength up (don't remember its proper name), berserk and speed up in stronger tank.... and:
any 50% HP ------ Curaja
any 30% HP------- Phoenix Tail
any 30% HP ------ Revive

...and he was all done with big grin

Cerberus was the dog smile

JaccArlington
Diablos was the Demonic looking Devil thing... ( I named him HellSpawn. XD)

well, using only Irvine Kinneas and Selphie Tilmett (save for the select few times to this point that I couldn't use both, in which case I used Selphie, as she's harder for me to build up) I am about to get to Trabia Garden on Disc 2, and I have all the GF's (so far), every level on the GF's up to 100, all their skills, and Irvine and Selphie up to level 78 with 9999 HP each, and a perfect 255 on all their other stats. Also, Squall is dead, and the others have followed his lead into death, leaving only Selph and Irvine to fight... And I only have 10 hours of game time... I love this game...

SelphieT

well, using only Irvine Kinneas and Selphie Tilmett (save for the select few times to this point that I couldn't use both, in which case I used Selphie, as she's harder for me to build up) I am about to get to Trabia Garden on Disc 2, and I have all the GF's (so far), every level on the GF's up to 100, all their skills, and Irvine and Selphie up to level 78 with 9999 HP each, and a perfect 255 on all their other stats. Also, Squall is dead, and the others have followed his lead into death, leaving only Selph and Irvine to fight... And I only have 10 hours of game time... I love this game...

......how in the hell did you get all GFs before Trabia!?

That's insane!

I'm jealous!

JaccArlington
i meant all the GF's up to that point... BTW, update... I'm on Esthar now, sending Zell Quistis and Edea back into the city to investigate the tremors at the Lunar Gate... squall selphie and rinoa went through it, and poor irvine is all on his onesies now...

pr1983

with ten hours gametime? how on earth did you manage that? you stop time or something?

SelphieT
i meant all the GF's up to that point... BTW, update... I'm on Esthar now, sending Zell Quistis and Edea back into the city to investigate the tremors at the Lunar Gate... squall selphie and rinoa went through it, and poor irvine is all on his onesies now...

Oh okay.

I'd be so pissed off with you if you had already had Doomtrain or Bahamut, or Eden.

SelphieT

Blax_Hydralisk
Why the hell would you type in a black font? You realize that a large majority of people here use a black skin, right?

SelphieT
Who are you talking to?

Blax_Hydralisk
Meant to quote, sorry.

SelphieT
It's okay, I thought you were talking to me, and I was thinking, I'm not typing in black font.........

Haha!

SelphieT
So I'm playing the game again, and I think I'm at the point of heading to the Tomb of the Unknown King.

I don't even think any of my characters have reached level 12 yet. I've been using the Card Command on every creature, or majority of them, so that the characters get loads of AP and not EXP. Makes everything much easier thumb up

Can't wait till Disc 4, even though it's soooo far away from Disc 1!

BackFire
But Disc 4 is when the game goes to shit.

SelphieT
Ultemecia's Castle is the best part, I'M TELLING YOU!

BackFire
Nah, the dungeon is fine, but that's when the story falls apart.

SelphieT
Yeah I guess. I just like the look and feel of the game there, and all the bosses.

SelphieT
I've been playing this game all day. Needless to say.....I'm taking a break. I'm up to the part where you're all in a desert area, talking about the Gardens being bombarded with missiles, right before you go to the Galbadian army base. Talk about boooooring.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.