American Pit Bull Terriers Banned

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WickedTexasMomA
In my state they are now trying to pass the banning of ALL Pit bulls . Paul Wesselhoft publicly stated" Pitbulls are a dangerous breed. It isnt the owner its the animal them selfs that has brought this on. These dogs would rather eat you then anything else." He also goes on saying that these dogs should be euthanize if citizens do not remove the dogs from state. Theres a huge petition going on right now about it. As a Pit owner myself I find this laughable. ALL DOGS could be dangerousat one point and time. I wont deny that pitbulls where breed for hundreds of years for the purpose of dog fighting, But not all owners of this breed do fight them. A pit still has the urge at times to fight but only because of there breeding, not always because of there temperament. I wish these Big wigs would read and learn more about something before trying to destroy it.

The Grey Fox
Pit Bulls were trained to hunt and kill. We trained them that way. It's in their nature to be psychopathic, so I'm supporting the ban.

botankus
In my state, our big wigs are considering banning dragons. I rarely get attacked by them, so I'm against it, but I have little pull here.

The Grey Fox
K then...

WickedTexasMomA
HOnestly does she look like akiller to you?

§P0oONY
Originally posted by WickedTexasMomA
No... But then again... Neither did Madeleine McCann's mother...

Oooh.... How's that for a bit of current events!

Robtard

Utterly vicious; pure evil lurks behind those sad eyes.

WickedTexasMomA
Originally posted by Robtard
Utterly vicious; pure evil lurks behind those sad eyes. Better watch it, When she done with my cat she comeing after your underware!

Robtard
Better watch it, When she done with my cat she comeing after your underware!

I'm not wearing underwear today, do you want to come instead?

Rogue Jedi
In my state they are now trying to pass the banning of ALL Pit bulls . Paul Wesselhoft publicly stated" Pitbulls are a dangerous breed. It isnt the owner its the animal them selfs that has brought this on. These dogs would rather eat you then anything else." He also goes on saying that these dogs should be euthanize if citizens do not remove the dogs from state. Theres a huge petition going on right now about it. As a Pit owner myself I find this laughable. ALL DOGS could be dangerousat one point and time. I wont deny that pitbulls where breed for hundreds of years for the purpose of dog fighting, But not all owners of this breed do fight them. A pit still has the urge at times to fight but only because of there breeding, not always because of there temperament. I wish these Big wigs would read and learn more about something before trying to destroy it. Pits and Chows all have something in their genes that will make them snap in an instant.

WickedTexasMomA
I'm not wearing underwear today, do you want to come instead? Hmm No

WickedTexasMomA
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Pits and Chows all have something in their genes that will make them snap in an instant. Its not truly in "genes" Both breeds brain is large and some cases where the brain excedes the size of the skull and it causes the animal to go mad.

Storm
Any dog can inflict severe damage to a human being, particularly, a child, and it is the responsibility of all dog owners to socialize and prepare their dogs for the real world.

WickedTexasMomA
Originally posted by Storm
Any dog can inflict severe damage to a human being, particularly, a child, and it is the responsibility of all dog owners to socialize and prepare their dogs for the real world. love Truetrue

Robtard
Any dog can inflict severe damage to a human being, particularly, a child, and it is the responsibility of all dog owners to socialize and prepare their dogs for the real world.

I can think of quite a few "Toy" breeds that would have trouble inflicting "severe damage", even to a child.

Truth be, some dogs are more vicious than others; some dogs are equipped with the tools (teeth & strength) to inflict greater damage. Pits have both of these readily available, especially the latter.

§P0oONY
Any dog can inflict severe damage to a human being, particularly, a child, and it is the responsibility of all dog owners to socialize and prepare their dogs for the real world. But some dogs are more likely to attack than others.... There are many breeds of dogs (including Pit Bulls) that can never become fully domesticated and can lash out wildly.

WickedTexasMomA
I can think of quite a few "Toy" breeds that would have trouble inflicting "severe damage", even to a child.

Truth be, some dogs are more vicious than others; some dogs are equipped with the tools (teeth & strength) to inflict greater damage. Pits have both of these readily available, especially the latter. Last year there was a report of a Chihuahuas chewing off the fingures and toes of an 4month old baby.

Robtard
Last year there was a report of a Chihuahuas chewing off the fingures and toes of an 4month old baby.

I'm sure there are cases; how often does that happen though? Who leaves their baby alone with the dog anyways?

WickedTexasMomA
Last year my brother was traped in a house fire. His pitbull Dam dragged him out of the fire, Saddly both died later, But if goes to show you not all pits are evil animals. The dogs are very loyal when handled right.

WickedTexasMomA
I'm sure there are cases; how often does that happen though? Who leaves their baby alone with the dog anyways? A skinny crack whore.

Storm
Many American Pit Bull Terriers that have attacked have been poorly socialized, under trained, and neglected. They never learned appropriate behavioral skills to cope with the outside world. Owners most certainly need to understand the dog fighting history, and take necessary precautions by ensuring early socialization with other dogs, and monitoring of their interactions.

American Pit Bull Terriers have been used for sniffing out bombs and drugs, and have been used by the military as well as police forces. They also have been used as therapy and service dogs.

Temperament

BackFire
The ban is stupid.

As others have said, it's not the dogs that are at fault, but shitty owners.

Sure, some Pits may be bad news, but it's unfair to penalize all Pit Bulls in existance.

Most Pit Bulls, like most dogs in general, are very sweet kind dogs. I've encountered a few and they all seem very playful and happy.

Robtard
Last year my brother was traped in a house fire. His pitbull Dam dragged him out of the fire, Saddly both died later, But if goes to show you not all pits are evil animals. The dogs are very loyal when handled right.

Obviously not every pit is a ticking time-bomb just waiting to kill. But, they do have it in them more so than other dogs, because of their fighting (breeding) background. More importantly, they're built for power, so when one does attack, the damage is often more severe than say a Golden Retriever or Pomeranian.

I also think the ban is stupid, especially in states that have loose gun control laws. You can by an assult rifle, but you can't own a pit. Duh.

Storm
They were bred to hold on. Never for human aggression, but dog aggression. Certainly a bite from a Pit Bull is more devastating than, say a poodle, but no more devastating than a well placed bite from a Beagle that hits a key nerve in the face.

Robtard
They were bred to hold on. Never for human aggression, but dog aggression. Certainly a bite from a Pit Bull is more devastating than, say a poodle, but no more devastating than a well placed bite from a Beagle that hits a key nerve in the face.

Yet aggression was honed in them... they also have one of the strongest bites (2000 psi). So wherever they bite, there's a high chance of serious damage; it doesn't have to be a "key nerve".

There's a reason why 40%+ of the dog caused deaths in America are pit related.

Rogue Jedi
Yet aggression was honed in them... they also have one of the strongest bites (2000 psi). So wherever they bite, there's a high chance of serious damage; it doesn't have to be a "key nerve".

There's a reason why 40%+ of the dog caused deaths in America are pit related.

Storm
Animal aggression and human aggression are two different things. 2000 is aimed too high. There is no accurate test to measure the PSI of any breed to begin with. The correct number is roughly one third.

Creshosk
Blame the deed and not the breed.

More stupid beuracrats pointing fingers in the wrong directions.

Robtard
Animal aggression and human aggression are two different things. 2000 is aimed too high. There is no accurate test to measure the PSI of any breed to begin with. The correct number is roughly one third.

Actually, there is... you have a dog bite down on a measuring device, that will give you a fairly accurate measurement. Also, studying the muscular structure of an animals jaw, neck and head muscles will also paint a fairly accurate account of bite strength.

Is 2000 too high? Maybe it is, regardless, pits have a stronger bite than other breeds. You don't have to be a zoologist to know this either. Compare the musculature of a pits head and neck to another dog; you'll see a large difference in muscle mass and density.

Like I said, 40%+ of dog related deaths are pit caused. Why? One reason is, they have the tools to kill a human with greater ease than other dogs.

Blax_Hydralisk
I support the bans. And if it was ONLY the dog owners fault then we would be seeing more cases of other dog attacks, however the LARGE majority is always and will most likely always be Pit Bulls.

So as far as I am concerned.. "Wipe them out.. all of them. "

I'm fine with my Beagle, who has never shown any aggression, thank you erm

WickedTexasMomA
hun, Labs have the highest % of Attacks on humans followed by Rots then pitbulls.

Blax_Hydralisk
According to Wikipedia and a few other sources I just looked at Pit Bulls and Rottweilers make up over 50% of the attacks in the United States, since 2000.

Violent2Dope
In my state they are now trying to pass the banning of ALL Pit bulls . Paul Wesselhoft publicly stated" Pitbulls are a dangerous breed. It isnt the owner its the animal them selfs that has brought this on. These dogs would rather eat you then anything else." He also goes on saying that these dogs should be euthanize if citizens do not remove the dogs from state. Theres a huge petition going on right now about it. As a Pit owner myself I find this laughable. ALL DOGS could be dangerousat one point and time. I wont deny that pitbulls where breed for hundreds of years for the purpose of dog fighting, But not all owners of this breed do fight them. A pit still has the urge at times to fight but only because of there breeding, not always because of there temperament. I wish these Big wigs would read and learn more about something before trying to destroy it. F*CK THAT! THEY'LL NEVER TAKE TATER FROM ME!mad

Secretus
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
F*CK THAT! THEY'LL NEVER TAKE TATER FROM ME!mad

As in tot?

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by Secretus
As in tot? No, as in tater salad.

ADarksideJedi
In my state they are now trying to pass the banning of ALL Pit bulls . Paul Wesselhoft publicly stated" Pitbulls are a dangerous breed. It isnt the owner its the animal them selfs that has brought this on. These dogs would rather eat you then anything else." He also goes on saying that these dogs should be euthanize if citizens do not remove the dogs from state. Theres a huge petition going on right now about it. As a Pit owner myself I find this laughable. ALL DOGS could be dangerousat one point and time. I wont deny that pitbulls where breed for hundreds of years for the purpose of dog fighting, But not all owners of this breed do fight them. A pit still has the urge at times to fight but only because of there breeding, not always because of there temperament. I wish these Big wigs would read and learn more about something before trying to destroy it.

They are not as dangerous as German Shepards.But I think all dogs deserve a chance.Not all are bad.It all depends on how they were raise and there ownders.jm sad

BackFire
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
I support the bans. And if it was ONLY the dog owners fault then we would be seeing more cases of other dog attacks, however the LARGE majority is always and will most likely always be Pit Bulls.

So as far as I am concerned.. "Wipe them out.. all of them. "

I'm fine with my Beagle, who has never shown any aggression, thank you erm

Your reasoning is faulty.

Many owners who have intentions of creating aggressive dogs will make the point of buying a specific breed because they know that these dogs have the CAPACITY to do the most damage if trained to be aggressive.

If all these people bought poodles instead, and purposely trained them to be guard dogs/fighters/whatever, you'd see poodles leading the pack of dog attacks.

Again, it IS about how the dogs are trained. Sure there are exceptions, but again, the vast majority of pitbulls, that are shown love and affection are perfectly fine, kind dogs that won't harm a soul unless given good reason.

I think it's truly sad that the whole breed is getting such a bad rep, and that people may be forced to give up perfectly good, sweet loving pets out of lazy ignorance and unfounded hysteria.

Rogue Jedi
some dogs are more easily trained than others.

BackFire
So what?

No reason to ban every single pitbull.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by BackFire
So what?

No reason to ban every single pitbull. well, take dobermans for example...whats the first thing to pop into your mind when you think of dobermans?

BackFire
Dobermans are the first things that pop into my mind.

Rogue Jedi
Dobermans are the first things that pop into my mind. you know what I mean. what ABOUT them pops into your mind?

BackFire
I don't actually know any. Never have.

I guess, I think of actor dogs, because they're always in movies playing guard dogs.

I know what you want me to say, you want me to mention the stereotype of them being mean snarling dogs. But again, I only see that in movies and TV, I don't know any in real life. And of course, stereotypes are never a good way to judge a creature.

Blax_Hydralisk
Your reasoning is faulty.

Many owners who have intentions of creating aggressive dogs will make the point of buying a specific breed because they know that these dogs have the CAPACITY to do the most damage if trained to be aggressive.

If all these people bought poodles instead, and purposely trained them to be guard dogs/fighters/whatever, you'd see poodles leading the pack of dog attacks.

Again, it IS about how the dogs are trained. Sure there are exceptions, but again, the vast majority of pitbulls, that are shown love and affection are perfectly fine, kind dogs that won't harm a soul unless given good reason.

I think it's truly sad that the whole breed is getting such a bad rep, and that people may be forced to give up perfectly good, sweet loving pets out of lazy ignorance and unfounded hysteria.

And yet, many many of the incidents don't involve training the animals to fight yet they just go off. parents buy pitbulls and leave them at hom with there little kids and the kids get ripped to shreds, a man who's had his dog for many years one day goes to walk his dog and gets ripped to shreds.

I could understand if 90+ percent of the incidents involved the pit bull being trained to fight, then ripping a kid to shreds, but thats not the case. many Pit Bulls just randomly go off on people. That's dangerous.

Very true, however just about all steriotypes are built off of truth.

Rogue Jedi
I don't actually know any. Never have.

I guess, I think of actor dogs, because they're always in movies playing guard dogs.

I know what you want me to say, you want me to mention the stereotype of them being mean snarling dogs. But again, I only see that in movies and TV, I don't know any in real life. And of course, stereotypes are never a good way to judge a creature. they are always in movies because they are easily trained, also why they are guard dogs. but they can also be trained to be the most lovable family dog too.

BackFire
And yet, many many of the incidents don't involve training the animals to fight yet they just go off. parents buy pitbulls and leave them at hom with there little kids and the kids get ripped to shreds, a man who's had his dog for many years one day goes to walk his dog and gets ripped to shreds.

I could understand if 90+ percent of the incidents involved the pit bull being trained to fight, then ripping a kid to shreds, but thats not the case. many Pit Bulls just randomly go off on people. That's dangerous.

Very true, however just about all steriotypes are built off of truth.

If parents are just leaving their children home alone with a dog that they haven't trained properly, then clearly the parents are to blame. Blaming the dog for stupid people making stupid decisions is a copout, like blaming video games/movies for violence.

And again, these are the minority of pitbulls that do these types of things. You hear about them because when they do attack, they can do massive damage, but most pitbulls that are cared for and loved and treated properly are perfectly fine. Shouldn't punish the whole because there's a few bad apples.

"Many" pitbulls do not go off, unless by many you mean a small amount. A minority may do that, all breeds can do that.

So you're comfortable using a foolish and exagerated stereotype to punish a whole group of animals? Even the ones that are perfectly decent? That's worrying.

they are always in movies because they are easily trained, also why they are guard dogs. but they can also be trained to be the most lovable family dog too.

You know, you're right.

Come to think of it, I also see a lot of black people committing crimes in movies.

In fact, looking at statistics, more crimes are committed by black people than other races.

Cool, let's ban them too, yeah? Sounds good.

Rogue Jedi

You know, you're right.

Come to think of it, I also see a lot of black people committing crimes in movies.

In fact, looking at statistics, more crimes are committed by black people than other races.

Cool, let's ban them too, yeah? Sounds good. while we are at it, lets ban all firearms, nicotine and alcohol.

BackFire
Right on.

Ban anything that has the capacity to harm.

Might as well kill all humans on earth, too.

Boy, this is fun.

You know, there's a lot of planets out there, they could collide with earth one day. Let's get rid of them.

Rogue Jedi
Right on.

Ban anything that has the capacity to harm.

Might as well kill all humans on earth, too.

Boy, this is fun.

You know, there's a lot of planets out there, they could collide with earth one day. Let's get rid of them. overanalyze much?

come on, Pits are fugly.

BackFire
Not really overanalyzing. I was hoping that it would make clear the faulty reasoning being used to justify the possible killing of a bunch of animals based soley on what they COULD do.

Rogue Jedi
Not really overanalyzing. I was hoping that it would make clear the faulty reasoning being used to justify the possible killing of a bunch of animals based soley on what they COULD do. its more like what they WILD do.

BackFire
Oh ok.

Didn't realize every pitbull will hurt something. Here I was thinking logically about the subject, understanding that it's actually the minority that will hurt someone.

Rogue Jedi
Oh ok.

Didn't realize every pitbull will hurt something. Here I was thinking logically about the subject, understanding that it's actually the minority that will hurt someone. I happened to see a pit who was a sissy family dog attack and maul my cousin Lori. If there hadnt been grown men there, she'd have died.

BackFire
That sucks.

Though that means she unfortunately met one of those animals that are in the minority.

I'm not saying everyone should go and own these dogs, unless they're prepared for them. But I think killing them all because there are a few nasty ones is absurd.

Rogue Jedi
well what can we do?

Blax_Hydralisk
Obviously, the best plan is to simply let the dogs maul kids. Actually f*ck it. Kids should just be outlawed. That way we can still keep our proven to be mentally screwed up dogs!

Quiero Mota

As a proud pit owner, I'm glad I don't live there.

Blax_Hydralisk
Ha ha ha, I'm sure.

BackFire
well what can we do?

How about YOU not own one. Don't kill one's that other people happily own and love just because you don't want them around. No one's forcing you to have one.

Blax_Hydralisk
Exactly. And f*ck all the little kids that get mauled every year for no reason. Not my problem. I have a Beagle, who despite never being given proper training has never shown any aggression in the three years I've owned him.

BackFire
Awesome.

I've known pitbulls that have never show any aggression towards anyone without any training also, you don't have to train pitbulls to not kill, you need to train them TO kill. Showing them love and affection is all it takes to keep them, and any dog (with exceptions), from mauling or attacking anyone.

Blax_Hydralisk
If that is true then why do so many Pit Bulls who have been owned by Families for years suddenly go on a rage and attack people? My friends dad has two Pit Bulls and he's had them for years, but they constantly fight each other.

I don't want you to get me wrong, though. I don't want you think that I think that all pit bulls are bad animals lol. I do believe, however, that a majority of them are messed up in the head. And I think it's not natural. It would make sense for an Animal that has been bred for years to to fight and kill to eventually get it imprinted in there genetic code.

tabby999
If parents are just leaving their children home alone with a dog that they haven't trained properly, then clearly the parents are to blame. Blaming the dog for stupid people making stupid decisions is a copout, like blaming video games/movies for violence.

And again, these are the minority of pitbulls that do these types of things. You hear about them because when they do attack, they can do massive damage, but most pitbulls that are cared for and loved and treated properly are perfectly fine. Shouldn't punish the whole because there's a few bad apples.

"Many" pitbulls do not go off, unless by many you mean a small amount. A minority may do that, all breeds can do that.

So you're comfortable using a foolish and exagerated stereotype to punish a whole group of animals? Even the ones that are perfectly decent? That's worrying.

You know, you're right.

Cool, let's ban them too, yeah? Sounds good.

Man, i love you so much right now...

Storm

WickedTexasMomA
Pits are one of the most easy to train pets. People who buy a pit as a first time owner are the ones whos pets go nuts at some time. ALL Pit breeders will stress to you when buying a pup that once the animal has its shots that it NEEDS to have Obedience training. As an owner its YOUR responsibility to make sure you take ever step as a pit owner to ensure your dog WILL let go at a command and that you are ALWAYS aware of you pits state . If a dog is agitated towards something, do not put the animal in a situation where its not comfortable or Hyper. Pits have been known to attack out of hyperness. These dogs have a bad wrap and a poor back ground, Thus its your job as an owner to take ever percaution to ensure your pits safety and thos around you.

Might I also add, Pits are huge bedhogs. Watch out! Youre covers are next to be stolen by these babys!

WickedTexasMomA
The Breed's Original Purpose
Humans have created specialized dogs through emphasizing desired traits and eliminating unwanted ones. It is no different with the pit bull type dogs. The American Pit Bull Terrier has been "selectively" bred for hundreds of years to fight other dogs. This is the sad "work" these dogs were created for. In the same way that Labradors were bred to retrieve birds, APBTs were bred to face other dogs in mortal combat. Even in dogs that are not recently bred from fighting lines, the urge to fight can arise at any time. Not to strongly emphasize this fact would be negligent.

That said, we can't blame specialized breeds for behaving as they were bred to. Specific traits were bred into the dogs and are now part of the breed's character. It's like the digging instinct of many Terriers, the herding behavior in Shelties, the compulsion to run in Greyhounds, etc. Your Pointer may have never spent a day on a real hunt, but he may still point and flush birds as his ancestors did.

It's a mistake to think that the fighting gene can be trained or loved out of a dog, or that early socialization will guarantee your pit bull will always get along with other animals. There are precautions to take when owning pit bulls, especially in a multiple-dog environment. Unfortunately these precautions are often viewed as acceptance for the sport of pit-fighting when nothing could be further from the truth. Knowing how to avoid a fight, as well as how to break it up if, despite all efforts one strikes, is proof of smart and responsible pit bull ownership.

Never trust a pit bull not to fight...
It is not a hate of other dogs that causes pit bulls to fight, but rather an "urge" to do so that has been bred into the dogs for many generations. Pit bulls may fight over hierarchic status, but external stimulus or excitement can also trigger a fight. Remember that any canine can fight, but pit bulls were bred specifically for their drive, intensity, and determination to win.

Pit bull owners must be aware of the remarkable fighting abilities these dogs posses and always keep in mind that pit bulls have the potential to inflict serious injury to other animals. A pit bull may not even be the one starting a conflict, but he has the genetics to finish it. Remember that pit bulls are almost always blamed no matter who initiated the hostilities, and often end up paying the price...as does the owner!

That said, some pit bulls get along great with other pets and may live happily with other dogs without incident. We just can't assume that this is true for all of them, or take for granted that pit bulls getting along with other pets today will do so tomorrow. Pit bull owners must have common sense and make sure they don't set their dogs up for failure by putting them in inappropriate situations.

Every negative incident involving a pit bull adds to their reputation and jeopardizes our right to own these great dogs. Keep your pit bull out of trouble!

Please remember that animal-aggression and people-aggression are two distinct traits and should never be confused. Unless they have been very poorly bred and/or specifically "trained" to attack humans (often by undesirable individuals through abusive methods), pit bulls are, by nature, very good with people. They are, in fact, one of the most loving, loyal, friendly and dedicated companions one can have.

WickedTexasMomA
Basic Breed Overview
Pit bulls are wonderful animals that deserve a chance to have a good life like any other dog. However, it's important to remember that pit bulls are not just any other dog - They are a little more of everything a dog can be.

Pit bulls have superior physical and mental characteristics that make them excellent partners for responsible, active, and caring owners. On the other hand, these same outstanding qualities can make them a little difficult to handle for people who don't have a lot of experience with dog ownership, or for those who don't understand the breed very well. Luckily, pit bulls are very responsive to training and eager to please. It is therefore strongly recommended to take them to obedience classes as soon as they are up to date with their shots. (Pit bulls are prone to parvovirus, so it is important that they receive all their vaccinations before coming into contact with other dogs or going places that other dogs frequent.) A well behaved and obedient pit bull will be a great ambassador for the breed and help fight prejudice and misconception.

Pit bulls are very adaptable and will even do well in urban living provided they have enough exercise or other positive outlets for their energy. Many pit bulls are easygoing couch-potatoes but can also be somewhat rambunctious until they mature. Maturity can come pretty late with this breed (2 to 3 years old in some cases). Pit bulls remain playful all their life and have a great sense of humor. Real clowns at heart, these dogs will make you laugh like no other.

Pit bulls are strong, energetic, agile, and powerful dogs. They are also very resourceful and driven. Determination is one of their most notable traits. Whatever they set out to do, they put their heart and soul into it...Whether it is escaping an inadequately fenced yard to go explore the neighborhood, destroying your new couch when left home alone, or climbing into your lap to shower you with kisses! They just don't give up easily.

Stahlkuppe (1995) writes, "The American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT), or the AmStaff, is certainly not the right pet for everyone. Being a powerful dog, it will require sufficient and adequate control. Some prospective elderly owners or children, will not be able to supply that control... A first-time dog owner, in the minds of many experienced dog breeders, should not buy an APBT or an AmStaff! An insecure person who wants only an aggressive dog to bolster some personal human inadequacy should never become an owner of one of these dogs. An uncaring or negligent person should not buy an AmStaff or an APBT (or any other dog for that matter)."

Another very important characteristic of pit bull dogs is their amazing love of people. Many people are surprised by the loving personality of these dogs the first time they meet one. Pit bull dogs are indeed remarkably affectionate and truly enjoy human attention. They are wonderful cuddlers, and nothing beats a belly rub. In fact, most pit bulls think they are lap dogs!

Dunbar (1999) writes: "Today, a properly bred pit bull is so exuberantly happy upon meeting her owner's friends (or even friendly strangers) that new owners sometimes worry that their dog is too sweet and fun-loving to protect their home and family... A multi-talented companion, the well-trained pit bull is suited for a variety of exciting activities. He excels at obedience, agility and weight-pulling competitions, events which showcase intelligence, trainability and strength. In addition, the pit bull's pleasant nature makes him an ideal candidate for therapy work with people."

Human aggression, severe shyness, and instability are not traits typically found and accepted in the APBT breed. Dogs with these traits are not good representatives of the breed and should not be placed into adoptive homes.

Like any other breed, pit bulls can develop behavior problems if poorly bred, mishandled, abused, unsocialized, etc., that could result in inappropriate aggression. Any large, strong, and powerful dog that attacks can do a lot of damage. This is why temperament evaluation is important when dealing with dogs of certain size and potential.

Unlike the myth propagated by the media however, human aggression is NOT a problem specific to pit bulls. In fact, pit bulls tend to do better than average in temperament tests.

The American Temperament Test Society provides temperament testing around the country for dog breeds, and gives a passing score for the entire breed based on the percentage of passed over failed within total number of the particular breed tested. As of December 2003, the American Pit Bull Terrier has a current passing rate of 83.9%, and the American Staffordshire Terrier passes at 83.2%. In comparison, The Golden Retriever passing rate is 83.2%.

Pit bull type dogs are wonderful, loving, and very loyal companions. It is important however, to understand the breed's nature, to provide a structured environment, and to establish a positive leadership role. In order to do so, pit bull owners must understand the original purpose of the breed, and respect its limits and potential.

Da Pittman

Alpha Centauri
Obviously, the best plan is to simply let the dogs maul kids. Actually f*ck it. Kids should just be outlawed. That way we can still keep our proven to be mentally screwed up dogs!

I'd actually rather have dogs on a plane sitting next to me, or in a cinema, or a restaurant, than a child. Most dogs know when to "stay", shut up when they're fed and pretty much do as they're told and love you unconditionally if you raise them right.

Yeah, I'm going with dogs.

Why do we need kids? Oh, the continuation of the human race.

Yeah, still going with dogs.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I'd actually rather have dogs on a plane sitting next to me, or in a cinema, or a restaurant, than a child. Most dogs know when to "stay", shut up when they're fed and pretty much do as they're told and love you unconditionally if you raise them right.

-AC but is there a chance a child will latch on and rip out your throat?

Robtard
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

You bad-ass, you.

Impediment
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/Impediment/Walter1.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/Impediment/Walter2.jpg

I own a pit bull. His name is Walter. I also have a three year old little girl who loves this puppy, and vice versa. Anyone who says that pit bulls are dangerous dogs by nature is a ****ing douchebag. All the owner has to do is love their dog like any other animal and socialize their pet around other humans and animals alike.

I have never seen an animal so devoted to a child like Walter is to my daughter, and he's only 4 months old. Pit Bulls are wonderful pets, even if they are dumb. stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
but is there a chance a child will latch on and rip out your throat?

No, but there's a chance it'll annoy me to the point I'll want my throat ripped out and be spared the worse fate.

-AC

Robtard

WickedTexasMomA
Originally posted by Impediment
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/Impediment/Walter1.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/Impediment/Walter2.jpg

I own a pit bull. His name is Walter. I also have a three year old little girl who loves this puppy, and vice versa. Anyone who says that pit bulls are dangerous dogs by nature is a ****ing douchebag. All the owner has to do is love their dog like any other animal and socialize their pet around other humans and animals alike.

I have never seen an animal so devoted to a child like Walter is to my daughter, and he's only 4 months old. Pit Bulls are wonderful pets, even if they are dumb. stick out tongue Now that is a pretty pup, What blood line is he out of?

Robtard

Beautiful dog... Puppies are not vicious, regardless of breed, so your point is moot.

I'm sure you're a responsible owner and you'll raise the dog to be kind; would you trust the dog to be alone with your daughter in a few years though?

Da Pittman

Blax_Hydralisk
If the netire thing was just a simple case of owners not properly training there dogs then why is it that it is pitbulls in particular that make up the majority of unprovoked attacks? Why is it that these dogs make up the majority, when the majority of these dogs who turn on there own families HAVEN'T been trained to kill, and have been loved and affectionate for years.

Lana
If the netire thing was just a simple case of owners not properly training there dogs then why is it that it is pitbulls in particular that make up the majority of unprovoked attacks? Why is it that these dogs make up the majority, when the majority of these dogs who turn on there own families HAVEN'T been trained to kill, and have been loved and affectionate for years.

Because any dog can randomly snap. Any dog, of any breed, owned by anyone.

But what are people going to hear more about? A Golden Retriever snapping and biting someone, or a pit bull?

The pit, because they already have an ill-deserved bad reputation and it'll get attention.

Da Pittman
If the netire thing was just a simple case of owners not properly training there dogs then why is it that it is pitbulls in particular that make up the majority of unprovoked attacks? Why is it that these dogs make up the majority, when the majority of these dogs who turn on there own families HAVEN'T been trained to kill, and have been loved and affectionate for years. Because it is not the majority of dog attacks and that the media has over blown the issue because a Pittbull attack is a hot topic compared to a Chow attack.

Blax_Hydralisk
Pitbull/Rotweiler (sp?) attacks make up 50% of dog attacks in the USA since 2002. That is a majority.

Lana
Pitbull/Rotweiler (sp?) attacks make up 50% of dog attacks in the USA since 2002. That is a majority.

Actually it isn't as a majority is defined as more than 50%. As in 51% or more.

And that is also more than one breed combined there. Thus it is not in any way a majority.

Plus as far as I've read, the number also includes several other breeds (Dobermans and German Shepards, among others).

So no, pits are not in any way responsible for a majority of attacks.

Blax_Hydralisk
True, but a 50% majority of overall attacks is a lot when taking into consideration that there are hundreds of different types of dogs.

Da Pittman

Blax_Hydralisk

Storm
A special report of the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) concerning breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998 states that data may be biased for four reasons.
Human dog-bite related fatalities reported are likely underestimated.
Second, to the extent that attacks by one breed are more newsworthy than those of other breeds, their methods may have resulted in differential ascertainment of fatalities by breed.
Identification of a dog' s breed may be subjective (even experts may disagree on the breed of a particular dog).
Last, it is not clear how to count attacks by crossbred dogs.

Da Pittman

Robtard

Da Pittman

Robtard

Da Pittman
And yet of all dog caused deaths (many, many breeds), 40%+ are pit related. Point is, when pits attack, they are far more dangerous than other dogs. Compared to other large breed fighting dogs they are not more dangerous than others, a Shepherd can kill you just as easily as a Pitbull, again the reason that there are more fatalities is that there is a much larger percent of Pitbulls compared to Shepherd in the population. They are banning them because they say they are more likely to attack which is false.

Robtard
Originally posted by Da Pittman
Compared to other large breed fighting dogs they are not more dangerous than others, a Shepherd can kill you just as easily as a Pitbull, again the reason that there are more fatalities is that there is a much larger percent of Pitbulls compared to Shepherd in the population. They are banning them because they say they are more likely to attack which is false.

Wrong, Pitbulls make a very small percentage of the dog population.

I don't agree with the ban either, personally, I think people that own pits are foolish; I see it as a silly status symbol, regardless, they should be allowed to own them.

Instead of a ban on dogs that are highly capable of causing massive harm or death to humans, they should impose very strict punishments on the owners who own the dogs that maul, maim and kill. Your Pit, Rott, Mastiff etc. mauls ormaims someone, then you go to jail for a long time, similar to assault/bodily harm with a deadly weapon. Your dog kills someone, then your held accountable for murder with a deadly weapon. That sound fair to you Pit (it's how you raise them) owners?

Violent2Dope
Pits actually are not as agressive to humans as other dogs, like Rotts and Dobermans. Pits are more agressive to other dogs than humans, as alot were bred to be that way.

Robtard
Pits actually are not as agressive to humans as other dogs, like Rotts and Dobermans. Pits are more agressive to other dogs than humans, as alot were bred to be that way.

So, as a staunch "my Pit is not aggressive" owner, would you agree to the laws that I stated?

Violent2Dope
So, as a staunch "my Pit is not aggressive" owner, would you agree to the laws that I stated? Pits are agressive to dogs sometimes, but they are not as agressive to humans as the media makes them out to be. Yeah, your laws sound reasonable, but conditions of the killing should be considered, and I think it should apply to all dogs.

Da Pittman

Robtard

WickedTexasMomA
Smaller dogs are more likely to try eating you alive, Then a pit. Tho the Pit DOES have the ability to do so. But it doesnt mean all of them will.

Da Pittman
Little rat dogs like Chihuahuas are snappy little bastards, in my experience, what's a 2 pound little turd like that really going to do to a person though? Not much to an adult besides bite their ankles, but can easily kill a baby or seriously harm a small child.

Robtard
Not much to an adult besides bite their ankles, but can easily kill a baby or seriously harm a small child.

My opinion... when dealing with babies & small children, it's the parents responsibility and ultimately their fault when a dog bites/attacks the child. Children + Dogs = Constant Supervision.

Da Pittman
My opinion... when dealing with babies & small children, it's the parents responsibility and ultimately their fault when a dog bites/attacks the child. Children + Dogs = Constant Supervision. Would be the same to me with a pool and kids.

WickedTexasMomA
Yarp

Kelly_Bean
What a disgrace, really. Everyone tries to make it seem ALL pitbulls are absolutely devilish. My uncle has a pitbull, which he just brought over today, and she's very high-strung and sweet! She's a little doll. People need to realise that it's the way they're brought up.

Blax_Hydralisk
No. It's not. Cut the crap. A pitbull doesn't need to be brought up to kill in order to snap. I agree with Pit actually that pretty much the Animal just needs to be provoked.

I, personally, think that perhaps some animals are more subject to going off then others. But your point that "A Pitbull is only aggressive if he's raised to be that way" is false.

chillmeistergen
I agree with Blax, I have a Staffordshire bull terrier cross greyhound, and we've raised him perfectly to accept other dogs and humans. He adores the other dog that lives with us and humans, but any other dogs; he seems to feel immediately that they deserve a battering. He literally kicks the shit out of any other dog who's knocking about, apart from our other dog. It's resulted in him having to wear a muzzle.
It is really annoying, as he's such a lovely dog and he really hates to have to wear a muzzle.

Robtard
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I agree with Blax, I have a Staffordshire bull terrier cross greyhound, and we've raised him perfectly to accept other dogs and humans. He adores the other dog that lives with us and humans, but any other dogs; he seems to feel immediately that they deserve a battering. He literally kicks the shit out of any other dog who's knocking about, apart from our other dog. It's resulted in him having to wear a muzzle.
It is really annoying, as he's such a lovely dog and he really hates to have to wear a muzzle.

That's an odd mix... post a picture, I'm curious to see what that looks like.

chillmeistergen
That's an odd mix... post a picture, I'm curious to see what that looks like.

Yeah, I'll post a pic soon, this is a new PC so aint got much on here.

He actually looks quite a bit like a shorter pit bull, that can run bloody fast.

Robtard
Yeah, I'll post a pic soon, this is a new PC so aint got much on here.

He actually looks quite a bit like a shorter pit bull, that can run bloody fast.

It's an odd mix because the dogs are on such opposite ends of the spectrum, one is short, stocky and flat-faced, while the other is tall, slim and long-faced. I can't imagine it.

Kelly_Bean
No. It's not. Cut the crap. A pitbull doesn't need to be brought up to kill in order to snap. I agree with Pit actually that pretty much the Animal just needs to be provoked.

I, personally, think that perhaps some animals are more subject to going off then others. But your point that "A Pitbull is only aggressive if he's raised to be that way" is false.
Nor does ANY dog, just to inform you since you are disagreeing and seem to know so much. ANY dog has the ability to turn on their master(s) at any moment in time in their life, but everyone focuses on pitbulls.

chillmeistergen
It's an odd mix because the dogs are on such opposite ends of the spectrum, one is short, stocky and flat-faced, while the other is tall, slim and long-faced. I can't imagine it.

Yeah it is rather strange, he's sort of got a large head and neck, with the staffy ears and a grey hound snout. But his body is rather long with extremely muscly legs. His stance is sort of the staffy stance as well, like front legs wide apart.

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
Nor does ANY dog, just to inform you since you are disagreeing and seem to know so much. ANY dog has the ability to turn on their master(s) at any moment in time in their life, but everyone focuses on pitbulls.

Because they do it the most erm

Kelly_Bean
Because they do it the most erm
Well I love pitbulls. I'd own one if I could.

Blax_Hydralisk
Great counter.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by botankus
In my state, our big wigs are considering banning dragons. I rarely get attacked by them, so I'm against it, but I have little pull here.

I find that ridiculous. Banning dragons and all.

Da Pittman
It is really annoying, as he's such a lovely dog and he really hates to have to wear a muzzle. It is still how you raised him, the other dog and the "humans" are part of his pack so he will accept them because of that. If you do not socialize the dog at a young age it is much harder to do it later in life but still can be done with the proper training.

Violent2Dope
Well I love pitbulls. I'd own one if I could. I do own one.

Blax_Hydralisk
It is still how you raised him, the other dog and the "humans" are part of his pack so he will accept them because of that.

And yet, many dogs that are trained this way end up attacking and maiming "members of his pack" anyway.

chillmeistergen
It is still how you raised him, the other dog and the "humans" are part of his pack so he will accept them because of that. If you do not socialize the dog at a young age it is much harder to do it later in life but still can be done with the proper training.

He's been through proper training, through specialist dog training. We followed every training tip on offer when raising him, yet still he will attack other dogs, at times.
It's in his blood, he's a bull terrier. Of course there are a lot that can be trained out of it, but there are individual differences between dogs, like every other animal.

Kelly_Bean
I do own one.
My Mom's younger brother does, he brings it a over about once a week. Very friendly dog, I just wish more pitbulls could be raised like her.

Da Pittman

Blax_Hydralisk
How do you know?

Da Pittman
How do you know? How do I know what?

Blax_Hydralisk

Da Pittman

Robtard
My Mom's younger brother does, he brings it a over about once a week. Very friendly dog, I just wish more pitbulls could be raised like her.

You could have said "my uncle", ya know.

Impediment
I'm sure you're a responsible owner and you'll raise the dog to be kind; would you trust the dog to be alone with your daughter in a few years though?

Absolutely. I would, however, make sure that my daughter knew how to properly interact with Walter and how to play with him in a non-abusive way. I would also, most importantly, train Walter to respect his human masters and to obey commands.

Any breed of dog can be harmful to humans. A pomeranian is recorded as killing an infant. Which dog is more dangerous? Pom or Pit?

This is a liitle video I found that I liked, except fot the shitty band's song:
mmwaHMzgrKk

Robtard
Absolutely. I would, however, make sure that my daughter knew how to properly interact with Walter and how to play with him in a non-abusive way. I would also, most importantly, train Walter to respect his human masters and to obey commands.

Any breed of dog can be harmful to humans. A pomeranian is recorded as killing an infant. Which dog is more dangerous? Pom or Pit?

Pit, no question about it.

BlackSunshine
Definitley against banning Pits. We have a pit here and I've never seen a sweeter more loyal dog. Yes, he is a puppy still, but with the right training love and attention, he wont have a mean bone in his body. He's as dumb as a rock but SO sweet. We have many animals here, 3 Dachsunds, Weimeriener(sp?), Hound Dog, Pomeranian and now a Pit we also have about 7 cats.

ANY breed of dog is prone to attacking ANYONE! I think it's stupid to ban Pits because of a few situations. Yes, these situations were horriffic and terrifying but these attacks were not all because of Pits!!!!!!! Pomeranians, the sweetest most retarded dogs on earth are prone to attacking. It all depends on how they are raised. Our family has adopted many abandoned and unwanted animals. These animals were found in parking lots, on the side of the road, and in animal shelters. All of these animals, to this day, are loyal and obedient to their owners. We actually have a HUGE rotweiler that lives next door to us with 5 kids. This dog is like a big teddy bear. I just dont understand these stereotypes people put on "big dogs".

Storm
The APBT is as much a victim of the press as it is of its historic breeding to fight other dogs.

Kelly_Bean
You could have said "my uncle", ya know.
Yeah I know but he's more of a brother to me, I grew up with him. I'm 18, he's 22.

Da Pittman
I just get a chuckle some times reading this thread and people wanting to ban me laughing

chillmeistergen
Pittman, I was not earlier arguing that my dog cannot be trained at all. I believe dogs can certainly be trained, but, I believe that dogs can and will also revert back to instinctive behaviours.

I believe my dog's behaviour to be due to his very early life, as he was a rescue puppy. He was also the runt of his litter (a surprisingly large litter at that) and was often bullied of his food etc. I think that maybe his attacking other dogs could be due to a sort of inferiority complex.

Da Pittman

WickedTexasMomA

WickedTexasMomA

Dreamt
Petition you say? Is that where you got the information from?
Because this sounds ridiculously close to a hoax that was going around in my state a while ago.

Kelly_Bean
Speaking of that, something similar is going on here in my state. My uncle told me yesterday but I don't much remember, I think it was some type of Pitbull ban. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Da Pittman
Originally posted by Dreamt
Petition you say? Is that where you got the information from?
Because this sounds ridiculously close to a hoax that was going around in my state a while ago. Many states already have the ban, Colorado just passed it a year or so back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull#Banning_of_pit_bulls

WickedTexasMomA
http://www.petitiononline.com/madokie1/petition.html

Dreamt
Many states already have the ban, Colorado just passed it a year or so back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull#Banning_of_pit_bulls There's is only one state, and it's proposed, and that's oklahoma.

WickedTexasMomA
Thus if it is passed we will be moving out of Oklahoma and back to Texas.

Da Pittman
There's is only one state, and it's proposed, and that's oklahoma. I wasn't talking about a state wide ban, it would only be a matter of time for them to push it state wide which is normally the next step. There are already countires that have made the ban.

chillmeistergen
Pit bulls are banned in this country. I believe you have to have some kind of license to own one.

Violent2Dope
Pits are banned in the UK?

chillmeistergen
Yeah, one recently killed a baby.

There are a load imported for the illegal dog fighting circuit though.

Kelly_Bean
Yeah, one recently killed a baby.

There are a load imported for the illegal dog fighting circuit though.
So...

Women put their unwanted babies in microwaves and leave them in hot cars during the summer...should we ban them too? laughing out loud

WickedTexasMomA
Something else I ran across...

Dreamt
I wasn't talking about a state wide ban, it would only be a matter of time for them to push it state wide which is normally the next step. There are already countires that have made the ban. You said "many states", naming Colorado as one.

Darth Macabre
Something else I ran across... That is the biggest load I have ever seen....that's bs (the bill, not the truth of it).

Da Pittman
You said "many states", naming Colorado as one. That is a general term, I'm sorry you got confused but it seemed easier saying states, then cities in the united states and in some states multiple cities. I never said that it was a state wide ban but that states had them.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>