Car Crash Question

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX
I may end up moving this to the General Discussion if you guys start being dumb, but I'm extremely curious about this.

Okay, here it goes...

My grandmother, age 74, got into a car wreck a few weeks ago, mostly just taking several bruises and cracking her breastbone badly. She's been learning how to walk with her injuries without it hurting, taking therapy classes, etcetera. We accepted that the accident was her fault, as she had run a red light and plowed into the other guy going 45 MPH.

However, under whatever privacy law there is, we don't find out what happened to the other car's driver. They simply refuse to tell us unless the person in question is suing us or whatnot.

But we found out today that he died.

What will happen to my grandma?

JLred
Sue her ass off..

Dusty
Well, I really don't know.

Dusty
Originally posted by JLred
Sue her ass off.. ?

JLred
Sue her ass off..

Röland
Wow, to tell you the truth I'm not sure.

I mean if the police/highway patrol cited her for the accident she could be in trouble.

Secretus
Originally posted by Captain REX
I may end up moving this to the General Discussion if you guys start being dumb, but I'm extremely curious about this.

Okay, here it goes...

My grandmother, age 74, got into a car wreck a few weeks ago, mostly just taking several bruises and cracking her breastbone badly. She's been learning how to walk with her injuries without it hurting, taking therapy classes, etcetera. We accepted that the accident was her fault, as she had run a red light and plowed into the other guy going 45 MPH.

However, under whatever privacy law there is, we don't find out what happened to the other car's driver. They simply refuse to tell us unless the person in question is suing us or whatnot.

Without a doubt she will lose her license. I severely doubt she would be brought up on criminal charges but expect a law suit.

That really sucks man.

JLred

Okay, here it goes...

I think they'd sue her even if she had no money just to f*ck her over...yeah that sucks....that's why i say to youthanize your grandparents...

Sol Valentine
Damn. They might revisit the files.

If it says that your grandma ran it while the dude was driving, she's messed up.

Lana
I think they'd sue her even if she had no money just to f*ck her over...yeah that sucks....that's why i say to euthanize your grandparents...

Dude, shut the **** up. Quit being an ass just for the sake of being an ass. It doesn't make you look cool.

JLred
I think they'd sue her even if she had no money just to f*ck her over...yeah that sucks....that's why i say to youthanize your grandparents... i mean who wouldn't want to be younger...

JLred
Originally posted by Lana
Dude, shut the **** up. Quit being an ass just for the sake of being an ass. It doesn't make you look cool.
dude i changed it and made a joke out of it dude...seriously dude i saw my wrong ways and changed, dude...

Captain REX
I'm not quite in the 'funny haha' mood for jokes about euthanizing a grandparent who just happens to be awesome and in trouble.

We're pretty sure that she's been pinned with the blame by the fuzz.

TRH
Wow,that is really sad......I am not sure,maybe law suit or legal charges

Röland
I'm not quite in the 'funny haha' mood for jokes about euthanizing a grandparent who just happens to be awesome and in trouble.

I agree with Secretus, I don't think criminal charges will be brought against her but she should expect a lawsuit of some sorts.

JLred

well then i'm sorry...maybe i needed a family guy vid.

well the fuzz can really f*ck someone over....

Lana
I'd say a lawsuit, probably; since she's old and admitting fault I doubt they'll actually try and press criminal charges.

Secretus
I understand the DMV does random re-examinations with drivers that have medical issues ( A form that needs to be filled out by a MD or practitioner) to make sure they are healthy enough to operate a motor vehicle. No clue though when it comes to senior citizens.

I would contact your grandmothers insurance company asap and/or lawyer.

Vinny Valentine
Man Slaughter/Negligence.

She ran a red light, and in the end caused death. That's jail time... Sadly enough.

Not sure if she would be convicted or not though... But chances are, yeah.

JLred

Okay, here it goes...

where did you find out he died?

the family contacted you or what?

DarkC
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine

She ran a red light, and in the end caused death. That's jail time... Sadly enough.

Not sure if she would be convicted or not though... But chances are, yeah.
How many years though, five, ten?

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by DarkC
How many years though, five, ten?

Between 5-25.

Somewhere in there.

Grinning Goku
Yea. She was in the wrong, I'm afraid. Why did she run the red light exactly? Was she aware that the light was red or what?

Secretus
Originally posted by Grinning Goku
Why did she run the red light exactly? Was she aware that the light was red or what?

She's 74 y/o bro, reaction time isn't as sharp as a younger person.

§P0oONY
It would probably be death by dangerous driving... But at her age who knows?... It's one of those grey areas... I mean, who'd throw a pensioner in prison for that. It really comes down to what the family of the man think, I reckon.

Melcórë
I agree, §P0oONY, I doubt they'd charge her with something like "Manslaughter."

I know someone who was in a similar position, (they somehow lost control of the car, crashed into another, killing the other driver instantly). He was charged with "Reckless/Dangerous Driving," and in the end convicted of "Reckless," (a lesser charge).

He didn't get any jail-time, but he was fined and lost his license. If he'd have been charged with "Dangerous Driving," the fine would have been steeper, he'd have lost his license, and he might've had to report to a probabtion-officer of sorts.

chillmeistergen
She may be charged with dangerous driving, or driving without due care and attention, taking her age into account. She certainly won't get a custodial sentence, or certainly shouldn't do.

Melcórë
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
She may be charged with dangerous driving, or driving without due care and attention, taking her age into account. She certainly won't get a custodial sentence, or certainly shouldn't do.

I don't see the point locking up such an elderly person - but it's been done before. Not for something such as this, however.

Menetnashté
I doubt she'll do time, probably just as others have said get her license taken away. Hopefully make sure she never gets behind a wheel again. I can't imagine them charging her with manslaughter at her age. I have little sympathy in the matter though, she shouldn't have been driving at her age, and in doing so someone died. She's lucky it wasn't the other way around.

Lana
Just to note, not all old people are bad drivers.

My grandfather is the same age and still can drive fine - certainly better than most people I see on the road.

Leo.M
Reckless driving/vehicular homicide

If the man she killed had any family that cared about him... they'll make sure she gets time. I'm sorry but thats just what any other family would do. The man could have had kids for all you know. Lawsuit is expected.

DARKLORDCAEDUS

Okay, here it goes...

Sorry to hear that. I hate cops especially living here in L. A. and shopping in Culver City. Your Grandma may get sued for wrongful death. Obviously not all old people are bad drivers, my father is almost 80 and he drives perfectly. I would prolly assume she could also just pay a fine and get her license taken away.

Rogue Jedi

Okay, here it goes...

What will happen to my grandma? vehicular manslaughter?

Lana
Originally posted by Leo.M
Reckless driving/vehicular homicide

If the man she killed had any family that cared about him... they'll make sure she gets time. I'm sorry but thats just what any other family would do. The man could have had kids for all you know. Lawsuit is expected.

Since when does the family have any say at all? They don't.

FoxMeister
This is why im all for Senior Citizens retaking the driving test

Tattoo
Originally posted by FoxMeister
This is why im all for Senior Citizens retaking the driving test

It could have been an honest mistake, it happens to everyone...not just senior citizens.

Hell, I myself have ran a stop sign before and didn't notice until I was driving the other way and noticed there was a sign there.

If anything teenage drivers are the cause of more accidents from what I've seen.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine

Not sure if she would be convicted or not though... But chances are, yeah. My Thoughts exactly.

Old Age shouldn't be an excuse.

With Old Age brings wisdom (hopefully) and she should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law for her actions.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

SpartanII
thats sad. im sorry to hear that. does your grandma know?

Leo.M
Since when does the family have any say at all? They don't.

Its called getting a lawyer. He or she does the talking for them. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lana
Its called getting a lawyer. He or she does the talking for them. roll eyes (sarcastic)

You said they'll make sure she gets time. Only one person can make sure of that and it's not a lawyer, or the family of the person killed, or anyone like that...and that's assuming that it's even tried criminally.

Tattoo
You said they'll make sure she gets time. Only one person can make sure of that and it's not a lawyer, or the family of the person killed, or anyone like that...and that's assuming that it's even tried criminally.

Technically, if it were tried criminally there would be 13 people deciding her fate. stick out tongue Can't forget the jury.

Leo.M

I'm very well aware of that. I meant that if they want her to get time, they'll push for it, so Rex is family shouldn't be surprised. It doesn't mean she'll get it. But then again, she did run a red light killing someone. She'll get something, her age shouldn't matter.

Tattoo
I'm very well aware of that. I meant that if they want her to get time, they'll push for it, so Rex is family shouldn't be surprised. It doesn't mean she'll get it. But then again, she did run a red light killing someone. She'll get something, her age shouldn't matter.

"Rex's" not "Rex is"

Lana
Originally posted by Tattoo
Technically, if it were tried criminally there would be 13 people deciding her fate. stick out tongue Can't forget the jury.

They only decide guilt, not the punishment stick out tongue

Tattoo
They only decide guilt, not the punishment stick out tongue

But if they don't decide guilt then there is no need for the judge to decide punishment. stick out tongue

JLred
so are there any updates on the situation?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.