30 Days of Night

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

T.M
Based on the graphic novel.

being directed by David Spade, produced by Sam Raimi.

Plot outline:

In sleepy, secluded Barrow, Alaska, the sun sets and doesn't rise for over thirty consecutive days and nights. From the darkness, across the frozen wasteland, an evil will come that will bring the residents of Barrow to their knees. The only hope for the town is the Sheriff (Josh Hartnett) and Deputy (Melissa George), a husband and wife who are torn between their own survival and saving the town they love.

Here is the trailer.. Link

I think it looks pretty good.. your opinions.

steverules
oh it's a vampire movie

T.M
It is indeed.

kodak
looks kinda good.

steverules
It does look good

kodak
i dont know how david spade is when it comes to directing.

But i got hope.

T.M
Well this is only his second feature film.. his first being Hard Candy.

steverules
Was hard Candy any good? I never saw that

T.M
I heard good thing, but I didn't get to see it.

Röland
Hard Candy was excellent IMO.

This looks awesome as well.

steverules
I guess I could watch Hard Candy later

kodak
yea, ive not seen it either.

steverules
Well hopefully I will enjoy it and hopefully you will to if you ever see it

T.M
Oops.. I just noticed I made a mistake..

The directors name is David Slade.. not Spade.

The release dates for it are:

USA 19th October
UK 2nd November
Others

SnakeEyes
Graphic novel sucked, the movie looks decent.

T.M
I haven't read the graphic novel.. really that bad huh ?

Impediment
I loved the graphic novel. The movie looks good................so far.

kodak
Originally posted by T.M
Oops.. I just noticed I made a mistake..

The directors name is David Slade.. not Spade.

The release dates for it are:

USA 19th October
UK 2nd November
Others laughing oh thank god

Mairuzu
Looks awesome, only because theres a muse song in the trailer...

well, without it its still awesome...

fruits
movie was SO good....

Warmonger
Movie was about a C-.

Rambo
I thought the movie was an A easily.

Warmonger
How? It was packed with pretty much every horror cliche imaginable. The movies few redeeming qualities was that the ending was at least original, and the concept was fairly original. The execution though read like a how-to.make-a slash horror movie. Not to mention that the title is misleading. You never get the feeling that 30 days have passed.

SelphieT
Saw it yesterday. Best vampire movie in like, 10 years.

It's definetly worth a see. I feel like it had a lot more pros than cons.

It wasn't slow paced like most vampire movies, had lots of good gore scenes, and somewhat interesting characters.

A few cons however, were the main vampire can get very annoying at times, the ending wasn't that great, and some things just didn't seem necessary, like the grandma's stash of weed.

fruits
I agree that it is the best vampire movie in a really really long time!!!

My only complaint really is that most movies go into some kind of explanation of how there's vampires and how they are there but in this one they kinda just were there, and then never explained. Very good nonetheless. And they only chose one vampire cliche to play on which I was happy about!! No garlic or crosses in this one!!!

SelphieT
Originally posted by fruits
I agree that it is the best vampire movie in a really really long time!!!

My only complaint really is that most movies go into some kind of explanation of how there's vampires and how they are there but in this one they kinda just were there, and then never explained. Very good nonetheless. And they only chose one vampire cliche to play on which I was happy about!! No garlic or crosses in this one!!!

True dat.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Warmonger
How? It was packed with pretty much every horror cliche imaginable. The movies few redeeming qualities was that the ending was at least original, and the concept was fairly original. The execution though read like a how-to.make-a slash horror movie. Not to mention that the title is misleading. You never get the feeling that 30 days have passed.

You are right that the crafting of the movie was inspired by from recycled styles and techniques. The movie ,however, didnt set out to be groundbreaking or creatively awe inspiring. It was supposed to be a simple horror movie worth watching. It is a movie about vampires killing people....what exactly did you expect? I understand where your coming from though, its hard to see the good qualities of a horror movie from afar when as a fan you are always up close.
I thought the movie failed because it didnt convince me that the town was a living town. I felt as though i was watching a movie filmed in a studio, but like you pointed out. I appreciated the attempt in adapting a vampire story with an original angle.

If you like vampire movies and horror movies alike. There is entertainment here, but none worth paying 10$ for admission.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Great movie. Just the right amount of gore and violence. There may be a possible sequel.

Estacado
I haven't read the novel but the ending of the movie was a piece of shit for sure.

Jason_Krueger
I thought the movie was neither good nor bad....kinda sugar coated the violence in the beginning of the film but towards the end showed it a bit more

Toku King
Where's the thread for this?
I just saw it today, and I really enjoyed it. It was able to scare and amaze you at the same time. The characters were likable, especially when they are put into such a terrifying situation. These were some of the best vampires I have ever seen in movies.

SelphieT
I enjoyed it.

The ending was pretty lame, but overall, best vampire movie of 2000 so far, and possibly the best vampire movie within the last ten years or so.

Deano
there is a thread for this

Toku King
Originally posted by SelphieT
I enjoyed it.

The ending was pretty lame, but overall, best vampire movie of 2000 so far, and possibly the best vampire movie within the last ten years or so.

I personally loved the ending. I found it very touching.

SelphieT
Originally posted by Toku King
I personally loved the ending. I found it very touching.

I guess it was touching, but did they really have to show his face ashing off like that? I think it'd be better if they didn't show that, and implied it. But then again some people probably wouldn't get it.....

Toku King
I guess it was touching, but did they really have to show his face ashing off like that? I think it'd be better if they didn't show that, and implied it. But then again some people probably wouldn't get it.....

I liked that aspect, though.
It was very powerful to watch a great character like Evan waste away into ash.

DARKLORDCAEDUS

I found nothing wrong with the ending.

SelphieT
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
I found nothing wrong with the ending.

Eh, I just found it kind of cheesy, that's all.

T.M
Originally posted by Deano
there is a thread for this

yes

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f58/t463876.html

Toku King
David Spade directed that?! David "Just Shoot Me" Spade?!

T.M
No, David Slade.

BackFire
merged both threads.

tylerTOXICITY
kol

Zac-E
It was bad. Horrible. Ungodly piece of sh!t.

SelphieT
Elaborate.

hammod
It seems a fantastic movie

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by hammod
It seems a fantastic movie

Umm... What? confused

addicted2flicks
Ive seen the movie. It was okay, but bloody though. I'd rate it an 8 out of 10

papabeard
Awesome decapitation, f@cking brutal, best ive seen maybe

Wolfie
I'm not a big vampire fan but I loved this movie. I felt it stayed true to the comic book.

I found the end to be sad and not cheesy at all. I think it'd be harder to imply that he was burnt to ashes than it is to actually show it. It worked better in panel form because in the comic, you just see them kissing, then the sun, then Stella is sitting next to a pile of ashes.

I'm really hoping they make 30 Days of Night: Dark Days, though I haven't read that one yet.

GGS
Originally posted by Wolfie
I'm not a big vampire fan but I loved this movie. I felt it stayed true to the comic book.

I found the end to be sad and not cheesy at all. I think it'd be harder to imply that he was burnt to ashes than it is to actually show it. It worked better in panel form because in the comic, you just see them kissing, then the sun, then Stella is sitting next to a pile of ashes.

I'm really hoping they make 30 Days of Night: Dark Days, though I haven't read that one yet.

Yeah man that would be awesome aint it rumoured that theres going to be two more it'd be good to focus on the 30 Days of Night: Return to Barrow comic as well.

Black Rob
I enjoyed the movie it was tense as hell and made me afraid to turn off the lights that dayscared

Kazenji
Has anyone checked out the mini-series they made which was a prequal to the film ?

Discos
I was well pissed that my cinema didn't keep this movie for more than 3 weeks, I was abroad when this movie came out.

I will go check when its out on dvd.

Wolfie
Originally posted by GGS
Yeah man that would be awesome aint it rumoured that theres going to be two more it'd be good to focus on the 30 Days of Night: Return to Barrow comic as well.
As far as Dark Days and Return to Barrow go, I've only read a few pages from them, from the previews at the end of the 30 Days of Night book. Return to Barrow seems like just the same thing as the first one. I'll wait to read it to judge though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.