Thrash Metal!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Micheal_Myers
Anyone like Thrash Metal?Its my favorite metal genre.

Thrash Bands that rule!:
Metallica (old)
Megadeth
Anthrax
Slayer
Overkill
Testament
Vio-lence
D.R.I
Nuclear Assault
Death Angel
Metal Church
Mortal Sin
Dekapitator
Violator
Forbidden
Fueled By Fire
Trivium (debatable as thrash)
Onslaught
Sepultura
Pantera
Tankard
Destruction
Arakain
And some more!

Violent2Dope
This is just a question, but aren't System of a Down also Thrash Metal?

Bardiel13
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
This is just a question, but aren't System of a Down also Thrash Metal?

Not at all. How did you even come to that conclusion?

Nellinator
Yah, I love name-dropping... Seriously though, I love thrash.

In Order:
Anacrusis
Metallica
Megadeth
Testament
Overkill
Forbidden
Heathen
Nevermore
Pantera
Dark Angel
Metal Church
Anthrax
Slayer

I frickin' hate that crossover garbage and German thrash save some Kreator.

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by Bardiel13
Not at all. How did you even come to that conclusion? That's what I wondered. Wiki classifies them as such.

Reverend Axel
Aren't all those bands just considered Heavy Metal? Why break it up further?

Bardiel13
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
That's what I wondered. Wiki classifies them as such.
Wierd. Someone should fix that.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Reverend Axel
Aren't all those bands just considered Heavy Metal? Why break it up further? Thrash is quite a bit different. It has definite punk influences in it's riffs with the high use of power chords. Riffs are usually defined by staccato and palm muting to create chugging and the solos are generally shredding and high register. Also the drumming usually uses snare.

Bardiel13
Originally posted by Nellinator
Thrash is quite a bit different. It has definite punk influences in it's riffs with the high use of power chords. Riffs are usually defined by staccato and palm muting to create chugging and the solos are generally shredding and high register. Also the drumming usually uses snare.

Quick! Run! Before Alpha Centauri reads this!

Nellinator
Or not.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Bardiel13
Quick! Run! Before Alpha Centauri reads this!

Why? Thrash metal has clear specifications that set it apart.

I still just say "Metal", but like black and death, there are reasons, legitimate, technical reasons for it.

-AC

Dusty
Don't really care for most of it.

Bat Dude
Thrash metal's kool...

Megadeth and Metallica are awesome! (Love Four Horsemen and Hangar 18)

And I also have a spot for Anthrax because they worked with one of the only good rap groups, Public Enemy, and for Madhouse...

Slayer, I only really like Raining Blood, other than that, don't really care for them...

Testament is kool too...

Post-thrash (groove metal) is also really kool... Pantera rocks!

Nellinator
Yah me too on Slayer. Well, actually Raining Blood and Seasons and the Abyss. Other than that they tended to suck imo.

Micheal_Myers
Originally posted by Nellinator
Yah, I love name-dropping... Seriously though, I love thrash.

In Order:
Anacrusis
Metallica
Megadeth
Testament
Overkill
Forbidden
Heathen
Nevermore
Pantera
Dark Angel
Metal Church
Anthrax
Slayer

I frickin' hate that crossover garbage and German thrash save some Kreator.

I always hear about Dark Angel but I can never find any of their material.Bleh!

I also forgot to mention Exodus on my list.Also I just discovered a thrash band called Atrophy today.They are pretty good so I reccomend to all thrashers to go check them out!

Nellinator
Originally posted by Micheal_Myers
I always hear about Dark Angel but I can never find any of their material.Bleh!

I also forgot to mention Exodus on my list.Also I just discovered a thrash band called Atrophy today.They are pretty good so I reccomend to all thrashers to go check them out! Their album Time Does Not Heal is on the last great thrash albums imo and my favourite by them. However, Darkness Descends is their most popular and defining moment. I strongly recommend Anacrusis and their music is available for free download on their official webpage. Manic Impressions and Screams & Whispers are probably two of my ten favourite thrash albums.

Impediment
Reign in Blood is the greatest thrash album ever.

Motorhead's Overkill and Anthrax's Among the Living are very close runners-up.

Alpha Centauri
Hahaha.

As if Reign in Blood is better than Master of Puppets.

-AC

Impediment
Master of Puppets is a fantastic thrash album, too. I would place it in my top 5.

Angel of Death jams harder than Battery, though. evillaugh

Alpha Centauri
Well obviously the better music is opinion, but thrash metal from a technical stance was defined by Master of Puppets.

-AC

Impediment
This would have to be my Top 5 Thrash albums list:

Reign in Blood/Slayer
Overkill/Motorhead
Among the Living/Anthrax
Master of Puppets/Metallica
Beneath the Remains/Sepultura

Impediment
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Well obviously the better music is opinion, but thrash metal from a technical stance was defined by Master of Puppets.

-AC

Define "technical". You lost me. dur

Nellinator
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC Reign in Blood is often considered the definitive thrash metal album. It might be one of the 10 most influential albums of all time really. Really how thrash is defined is dependant on what vein of thrash you are talking about. Master of Puppets style is sort of middle of road with Motorhead and Anthrax doing the more punk influenced and Slayer doing the more extreme route...
Originally posted by Impediment
Reign in Blood is the greatest thrash album ever.

Motorhead's Overkill and Anthrax's Among the Living are very close runners-up. I'm not sure I'd really call Overkill a thrash album, but then again it was extremely influential and started introducing elements of thrash... I guess it's all how we like to look at it.

Alpha Centauri
Slayer were actually punk influenced too, they just influenced the more heavier bands.

-AC

Nellinator
They were all punk influenced obviously. It's a big part of the riffing style that defines thrash.

Micheal_Myers
I actually prefer Ride The Lightning over Master of Puppets.Puppets is still an amazing album though and its impossible to deny it's importance to thrash metal.Some more of my favorite thrash albums include, Chaos A.D., Rust in Peace, and Cowboys From Hell.

Nellinator
I could never really get into Sepultura even after the album Roots. Rust in Peace is a masterpiece of thrash imo and I'm definitely in love with it. Hangar 18 and Holy Wars... The Punishment Due are just killer songs. Far Beyond Driven is my favourite Pantera album, but I love all the albums after and including Cowboys From Hell. I haven't checked out their older stuff though.

My favorite thrash albums are probably:
1) Screams and Whispers - Anacrusis
2) Rust in Peace - Megadeth
3) Master of Puppets - Metallica
4) Horrorscope - Overkill
5) Forbidden Evil - Forbidden

Micheal_Myers
Sorry to bump this....lol

Well if we're talking top 5 thrash albums I'm gonna have to go with

1)Ride The Lightning - Metallica
2)Among The Living - Anthrax
3)Reign in Blood - Slayer
4)Handle With Care - Nuclear Assault
5)Socialized Hate - Atrophy

(4 and 5 are subject to change on a common basis....lol)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.