JLA wedding Special

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

nvrbeenwthagirl
So Um some points on the JLA wedding special.

I like the way the story was going. Dr. Light was a bad MoFo.
He was really the only reason Those girls were even remotely giving it to Wonder Woman and hawk Woman.

The art is BOO. I like benes much better.

Some of the villians are BOOO. But I do like fatality, Effigy, Grodd, Psimon and some others.

The banter between lex, joker, and cheetah is cute and classic.

Lex luthor is too smart. negating Firestorm's powers is rediculous.

The writer of the story obviously likes Firestorm as he didn't kill him. And he doesn't like geo force. he got pwned OFF panel.

JLU anyone? Two gl's on one team?

Deathstroke
I thought the art was alright even though Benes is better, and why was the new Aquaman at the bachelor party?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by nvrbeenwthagirl
The art is BOO. I like benes much better.

That may be true but the art is still great.

Some of the villians are BOOO. But I do like fatality, Effigy, Grodd, Psimon and some others.

The villians didn't do enough to really make the judgment IMO.

The banter between lex, joker, and cheetah is cute and classic.

I must agree

Lex luthor is too smart. negating Firestorm's powers is rediculous.

If he really did publish a paper on how they work it's pretty reasonable.

The writer of the story obviously likes Firestorm as he didn't kill him. And he doesn't like geo force. he got pwned OFF panel.

laughing out loud

JLU anyone? Two gl's on one team?

But the dialog implies they won't be working at the same time.

Deathstroke
Who is the girl that's merged with Firestorm now?

Symmetric Chaos
Gehenna

tjcoady
I liked it a lot. Personally, I think Mcduffie writes really fun comics. Maybe not intellectual comics or classic comics, but they're a blast to read.

The one problem I had was that it was a bit too tongue in cheek with the allusions to Justice League Unlimited. I mean, we all realize that Mcduffie was the writer for the show. He didn't quite need that many references to it though. It was a bit too cute and didn't really feed the story well: John Stewart's soulfull look at Hawkgirl, for instance. Unless he does something interesting with Roy and John distrusting each other, I didn't find that referencing his own creative past is the best idea. Further, the Hall of Doom? I mean, creative allusions to previous media is fun, and if McDuffie is intending to make this a metatextual look at the depiction of the League in television and a celebration of the various forms the League mythos has taken, that's cool. but I think he can do a lot more with the JLA than just that.

For the most part though, a very fun issue, and I'm excited about what he's going to be doing with the league. Hal and the X-men themed strippers was funny- I liked his uber competent but friendly version of Batman- I mean, the league are Batman's friends. It may not be very Batman-ny, but combined with what Giffen is doing in the Four Horsemen special, it's nice to see Bruce as a person- albiet one with intense social problems. It's like those times when Batman's nice to Robin- everyone loves those moments.

You can tell Mcduffie has both a real feel for the history of these characters, and a real love of them. Didio talked about how comics after the Crisis were going to be fun again, and this is a good example of where DC is finally doing that. The issue had dramatic tension, it wasn't childlike or pandering, the villians seem frightening and powerful and evil rather than sophomoric, but the heroes acted like... heroes. and that was a great change of pace. They seem like real people- drunken Roy, Batman concerned about Diana, Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl worried about Firestorm. But they don't seem like gods or people whose wives will kill each other if you turn away for a second or will mindwipe villians as a punishment. all in all, this issue gave me some good hopes for where Mcduffie is going to be taking the book. the art does need work though.

(or maybe it's just that after the god-awful Meltzer run it's nice to see the Justice League doing ANYTHING other than sitting around at a table and calling each other by their first names while in public, in front of their enemies. C'mon, Meltzer, they aren't idiots. Plus- no Red Tornado. And no one likes Red Tornado. That guy's a b*tch).

Morridini
So, how's getting married?

Deathstroke
Other than Gorilla Grodd looking kind of odd I didn't think the art was that bad.

Lucid Lui
Originally posted by Deathstroke
I thought the art was alright even though Benes is better, and why was the new Aquaman at the bachelor party?
Finally getting out of the water and meeting some other heroes by the looks of it. I'd like to know what him and Guy were talking about in that one panel.

Good to see Tempest there, too. Looking perfectly fine and normal. Which is interesting considering currently his hair is white and he has to wear some breathing apparatus thingy.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
Finally getting out of the water and meeting some other heroes by the looks of it. I'd like to know what him and Guy were talking about in that one panel.

Good to see Tempest there, too. Looking perfectly fine and normal. Which is interesting considering currently his hair is white and he has to wear some breathing apparatus thingy.

Maybe Metamorpho invited him, after they tried out for the Outsiders together?

tjcoady
Originally posted by Deathstroke
Other than Gorilla Grodd looking kind of odd I didn't think the art was that bad.

I would agree. Grodd looked a lot smaller and less intimidating than normal, it seemed.

But the art is good. I'm just a big fan of Benes, personally.

Deathstroke
Originally posted by tjcoady
I would agree. Grodd looked a lot smaller and less intimidating than normal, it seemed.

But the art is good. I'm just a big fan of Benes, personally.

That's how I felt. I think the art will be good enough throughout the arc.

pr1983
And no one likes Red Tornado. That guy's a b*tch).

i do... shrug

Badabing
I liked Batman actually saying "I'm Batman". Question, is this part of the current JLA run or a new comic???

Validus
Originally posted by Badabing
I liked Batman actually saying "I'm Batman". Question, is this part of the current JLA run or a new comic???
Current. Leads to JLA #13.

I really have to wonder whether Hal and John will actually split League time or if this is just a nice way of putting John in without officially saying goodbye to Hal and therefore angering the fanboys.

willRules
It's a a one shot that is part of the JLA run, I think. This is something DC needs that Marvel already has, a recap page yes

EDIT: Ah Validus beat me to it big grin

I was pleasantly surprised by this issue. It wasn't great but it was waaayyyy better than the wedding planner one shot. It made enough references to GA and Canary's wedding to be a one shot and yet it was the first chapter of the latest JLA storyline (Which as JLA is on my pull list, if the upcoming issues are anything like this it could be a fun little storyline) The plot divulged enough references to character development between Red Arrow and Batman and yet it was action packed enough with the evil trinity Owning Firestorm My only criticism is that it would have been cooler if they Killed Firestorm I never liked the character yes Overall an enjoyable issue worth getting if you like JLA yes

Badabing
Thanks Val and Will.

jumpmann
Originally posted by Validus

I really have to wonder whether Hal and John will actually split League time or if this is just a nice way of putting John in without officially saying goodbye to Hal and therefore angering the fanboys.
It's just Mcduffie sending off Hal while bringing back his "own" Green Lantern from JLU. Hal has plenty of spotlight right now anyway.

willRules
Originally posted by Badabing
Thanks Val and Will.

No problem smile

WrathfulDwarf
It was....well, how would I say it best.....hmm...cute.

willRules
The art was nice. It could have been cooler but it was by no means bad IMO yes

pr1983
Just read this, and i have to say, bar the scene with the villains picking their teammates, i in general just didnt like this issue... i don't know why, but as i was reading it i just kept thinking 'why is this guy writing jla?"

Originally posted by Validus
Current. Leads to JLA #13.

i got that exact same impression... this isn't the animated series, and i think mcduffie needs to realise that the characters are different from their animated counterparts too...

superman pushed bruce to let hal in, and now mcduffie lets john in just because he wrote him on jlu?

all we need now is for john to start banging kendra and we'll be f*cked...

jumpmann
Comic book John has a good history with the JLA. He's pretty much guaranteed entry like Wally was.

But can't have two GL's cmon lol.

pr1983
Originally posted by jumpmann
Comic book John has a good history with the JLA. He's pretty much guaranteed entry like Wally was.

But can't have two GL's cmon lol.

but hal is like barry, he was one of the originals...

i don't see why mcduffie wants john when hal is a perfectly good GL...

also, where did you get that quote in your sig... it looks so familiar...

Validus
John has no real history with the League. He joined for the first time during the last JLA run (when JLU was still on the air) and was basically irrelevant the entire time he was there.

I don't mind him being on the team at all. Rotating Lanterns makes perfect sense. I just hope thats actually the case instead of just being an excuse to write off Hal.

I'm also with pr in hoping it doesn't turn into JLU. That show was and is great but this shouldn't be JLU.

Martian_mind
JLA saddens me without Jonn.

Though if Jonn had stayed he probably would have gotten his JLU role and been given perma-monitor duty.

tjcoady
I agree with the "too much like the jlu" assesment, but the writing and art is quality, and I like the story established so far. If McDuffie does something interesting within the next four issues, I am going to stay on.

pr1983
Originally posted by Martian_mind
JLA saddens me without Jonn.

Though if Jonn had stayed he probably would have gotten his JLU role and been given perma-monitor duty.

sick

I agree with the "too much like the jlu" assesment, but the writing and art is quality, and I like the story established so far. If McDuffie does something interesting within the next four issues, I am going to stay on.

don't get me wrong, the idea of a league of bad guys is a great idea imo, and opens up some killer fight possibilities, but so far i havent been that impressed...

maybe thats just me...

Martian_mind
Oh no,i too have been under-pressed...

manjaro
my thing is i could have sworn Grodd was imprisioned in gorrilla city...how did he get free? and.. IMO this is a bad idea. why? becuz no matter what luthor says, zbout taking it to the heroes real vicious this is just another machination for him to try and destroy superman....which means he's just gonna use everybody, take advantage of them to further his own ends...then of course you have others who arent accustomed to being in a supplementary role like slade, grodd and joker who are eventually gonna wanna call thier own shots and betray luthor in the end too, which might be a moot point cuz luthor's likely gonna have contingency plans for all of them anyway

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.