If you could rewrite music history....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pezmerga
And change one thing what would it be? It could be anything.

Like I would like to have seen Jimi Hendrix live to join ELP. That would have been interesting to see, Although ELP Made 4 great albums on their own.

Bat Dude
I would increase the timespan of glam/thrash dominance on the radio/MTV for another decade...

And keep Jim Morrison alive, cuz he rocks...

Funkadelic
Stop the fall of the P-Funk empire in 1980.
Keep Jimi Hendrix alive.
Stop Prince from changing his name. (He lost a lotta fans)

Alpha Centauri
Why would you stop Prince from changing his name because he lost fans?

Why do you care? Did you ditch him because he changed his name?

Point is; Prince never lost any FANS, he lost idiots. Boo hoo.

-AC

Funkadelic
I didn't ditch him, I thought it was cool.

But I sometimes get tired when people laugh with P.

ESB -1138
...hmm......make it so Zeppelin would have never broken up

Blue_Hefner
Originally posted by Pezmerga

I would take out all the bad rappers and singers, and I wouldn't replace them

tabby999
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Why would you stop Prince from changing his name because he lost fans?

Why do you care? Did you ditch him because he changed his name?

Point is; Prince never lost any FANS, he lost idiots. Boo hoo.

-AC

Exactly, if the name matters so much to you, no great loss.

Kram3r
I suppose I'd get Brian Wilson release SMiLE in the '60's.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
I would take out all the bad rappers and singers, and I wouldn't replace them

Or you could replace them with people who actually have talent.

Pezmerga
On a lighter note....I'd make Geddy Lee get rid of that hideous Mullet he used to sport! He is way better than that.

Reverend Axel
I would tell John Bonham to go easy with the Vodka

Alpha Centauri
Nobody would bring Hendrix or Jeff Buckley back?

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Why bother when you can alter the release date of an album?

Alpha Centauri
Because that's more importa...oh I see, you're making a point-ke.

-AC

Nellinator

-AC Apparently not even you. I don't think bringing Hendrix back would have changed that much as he had already made his mark and set a new standard. I would like have seen Buckley survive because he is one of the few original, creative and refreshing faces in rock from the 90s.

Victor Von Doom
Because that's more importa...oh I see, you're making a point-ke.

You knew before you started typing.

Why pretend you only reali...oh yeah.

Reverend Axel

-AC Who and Who?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Reverend Axel
Who and Who?

Yeah, you wouldn't know.

-AC

Reverend Axel
Yeah, you wouldn't know.

-AC Yeah. I have no reply to that. Except this. Which is technically a reply.

Healing Artisan
Ol' Dirty Bastard and Rick James make an album together.

Pezmerga

-AC

Hey Hendrix was my first thing. =)

Buckley can come back too.

ESB -1138

-AC

Someone already mentioned Hendrix:

Originally posted by Funkadelic
Stop the fall of the P-Funk empire in 1980.
Keep Jimi Hendrix alive.
Stop Prince from changing his name. (He lost a lotta fans)

I would have loved to see Hendrix not dying. Look at the amazing things he did when he was in his teens-20s. He would just keep getting better and better.

chillmeistergen
Hendrix was getting a lot more experimental with blues, and that's something I'd have liked to see him live long enough to continue.

2D_MASTER
You know Disco? I'd wipe it out of existence.

Alpha Centauri
Besides bringing back the people I mentioned.

I'd actually remove The Beatles. Just for the likely proof that they didn't really change as much music as people believe, and things probably wouldn't be much different if they hadn't been around, in my opinion.

I like them, but just to see.

-AC

ESB -1138
Well you can really never know. Maybe music would be the same without the Beatles but maybe it would be completely different. We will never know.

Oh and I know this may sound lame but let's keep Elvis alive.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Well you can really never know. Maybe music would be the same without the Beatles but maybe it would be completely different. We will never know.

That would be the point of me saying I'd do it if I could, to know.

-AC

chillmeistergen
Although it's not sort of a massively defining thing. I'd like to have kept the Libertines together, just 'cos I like them.

Alpha Centauri
Damn, and I thought you were alright.

-AC

chillmeistergen
Damn, and I thought you were alright.

-AC

Haha. My guilty pleasure I'm afraid, I get jipped silly by mates about liking them, but oh well. I want to make it clear, I just like the Libs, none of that Babyshambles rubbish.

Oh, and on another note. I'd keep The Smiths together definitely, don't know how it slipped my mind before.

ESB -1138
I would have liked to hear what Michael Jackson's song, Bad, would have sounded like if Prince agreed to the duet.

Alpha Centauri
I would have liked to hear what Michael Jackson's song, Bad, would have sounded like if Prince agreed to the duet.

That's a good one actually.

-AC

ESB -1138
Somehow I knew you would think that, I'm pretty sure you seen this but for those who haven't:

JB, Michael, and Prince...some of the biggest stars all on stage at once.
No9N7WKQlqc

SelphieT
I wouldn't rewrite anything. There have been so many tragedies, but think about it. Its better for them to have burned out with their great stuff, and always be remembered by that, rather fading away with crap stuff.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by SelphieT
I wouldn't rewrite anything. There have been so many tragedies, but think about it. Its better for them to have burned out with their great stuff, and always be remembered by that, rather fading away with crap stuff.

Why must that happen? It's not the general rule; it's a cliche.

Quiero Mota

Like I would like to have seen Jimi Hendrix live to join ELP. That would have been interesting to see, Although ELP Made 4 great albums on their own.

Tupac would never have been killed.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to see him live (no pun intended) in '95.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Tupac would never have been killed.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to see him live (no pun intended) in '95.

The world has hardly suffered, he has had the pleasure of still releasing music.

-AC

Funkadelic

I'm happy it didn't happen.

BTW, check this.

7 mins in2 it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/prince+interview/video/x1n2hb_prince-interview-part-2_creation

Alpha Centauri
I'm happy it didn't happen.

Why?

-AC

yvonnekarate
I would bring Frank Sinatra back.

Regards, Yvonne

chillmeistergen
Eurgh, it was bound to happen I suppose.

Funkadelic
Why?

-AC

Michael Jackson!

I like him, don't get me wrong.
But I just think Prince is in a whole other league.
The one of Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, Sly Stone...

Not the league of Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears...

roll eyes (sarcastic)

ESB -1138
Michael Jackson!

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Michael Jackson's vocals are second to none. Timberlake and Spears are only trying to copy the success of MJ. Heck Timberlake's first album that came out was mostly songs Michael didn't want to use for his Invincible album.

Alpha Centauri
There are plenty of more able singers than Michael Jackson.

If he's your favourite singer then fine, but he's not the best singer on a technical level.

Michael Jackson!

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Michael Jackson is on the same level as Justin and Britney?

You're an idiot.

-AC

Funkadelic
Yes, I Know.

Off course he is A LOT better. But he's way 2 commercial for me.
That's what I meant.

Alpha Centauri
Yes, I Know.

Off course he is A LOT better. But he's way 2 commercial for me.
That's what I meant.

He's way too commercial so you lump him in with those two, despite knowing he is leagues above most people, let alone those two? Yes, that was very stupid.

As for too "commercial", dude, you like Prince.

Prince is arguably more commercial than Jackson. Unless you mean he's too poppy, which I still don't get, cos Prince has been as poppy.

-AC

Funkadelic
MJ makes music he thinks people will like.
Prince makes music he himself likes.

I mean really, have you listened 2 Around the world in a day, The rainbow children, parade (Xcept 4 kiss)? What about Come?

That's commercial music?

Alpha Centauri
MJ makes music he thinks people will like.
Prince makes music he himself likes.

A) Proof?

B) Why not just say that? Why say MJ is on the same level as Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake, then retract it, then say he's too commercial, then sort of retract that?

Just say what you mean.

I mean really, have you listened 2 Around the world in a day, The rainbow children, parade (Xcept 4 kiss)?

That's commercial music?

I own everything he's ever done. To suggest Prince isn't commercial is idiotic. Commercial doesn't necessarily mean you do everything to please everyone else. Prince has sold over a hundred million records or something, he's behind Mariah Carey, The Beatles, Stevie Wonder and Elton John ONLY when it comes to number one hits, you gonna tell me he's not commercial?

-AC

Funkadelic
Man, I Dig MJ, I dig prince.
I just don't dig the idea of them working together.

ESB -1138
There are plenty of more able singers than Michael Jackson.

If he's your favourite singer then fine, but he's not the best singer on a technical level.

I never said singer I said vocals. It's amazing the range of vocals MJ can reach from low to high where a (almost) all of singers stick to either one or the other. But when it comes down to straight up vocals I do consider MJ to be the best.

I still consider Joel to be the best singer.

Alpha Centauri
I never said singer I said vocals. It's amazing the range of vocals MJ can reach from low to high where a (almost) all of singers stick to either one or the other. But when it comes down to straight up vocals I do consider MJ to be the best.

You do not get to decide who is technically better than someone else, though. They either have more ability or they do not, and many have more skill and better technique than Jackson.

Whether or not you prefer his voice is irrelevant.

You wouldn't say the guy from Nickleback is a more skilled guitarist than Hendrix just because you liked what he played more than you like what Hendrix played.

I still consider Joel to be the best singer.

In what way, though? You consider him to be the best that you like? As in, you enjoy his voice the most?

Or are you sincerely claiming you believe there to be no greater skilled singer than Billy Joel?

-AC

Bardock42

Or are you sincerely claiming you believe there to be no greater skilled singer than Billy Joel?

-AC

Well, you know...now that Pavarotti is dead.

Alpha Centauri
The only comparison I can see is that they're both reasonably fat.

-AC

Bardock42
Originally posted by Reverend Axel
Who and Who? Some Boy Group singers. You know, the stuff AC likes.Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

I'd actually remove The Beatles. Just for the likely proof that they didn't really change as much music as people believe, and things probably wouldn't be much different if they hadn't been around, in my opinion.

I like them, but just to see.

-AC

I'd do the same with Mike Patton...so...yeah...**** you.Originally posted by chillmeistergen

Oh, and on another note. I'd keep The Smiths together definitely, don't know how it slipped my mind before. Was about to say that. Would be my change of choice too.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Bardock42
I'd do the same with Mike Patton...so...yeah...**** you.

I think personally that after so many generations, the relevance and presence of past influence gets less. So modern music would probably be more different if Patton was gone than The Beatles.

Further back, obviously The Beatles, as Patton wasn't as established.

Though whether either would be missed or not is never to be known, hence the point.

-AC

Nellinator
I don't think Patton was that influential. Sure he popularized a lot of experimental stuff, but he wasn't the first to really do it. Mr. Bungle is probably his most influential band, but Trey Spruance was the true genius of that band imo. His guitar style with that double diminished power chord he used pretty much created Korn and influenced many others. His side project Secret Chiefs 3 is pretty weird and groundbreaking.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Nellinator
I don't think Patton was that influential. Sure he popularized a lot of experimental stuff, but he wasn't the first to really do it. Mr. Bungle is probably his most influential band, but Trey Spruance was the true genius of that band imo. His guitar style with that double diminished power chord he used pretty much created Korn and influenced many others. His side project Secret Chiefs 3 is pretty weird and groundbreaking.

Nobody would say he's that influential because he really isn't credited as much as he should be, because his stuff isn't as well known as those who are influenced by him.

I'd say Faith No More were the most influential.

He was the first to actually do a lot of things he isn't credited for. System of a Down have long since been once of the world's most unique bands, that essentially comes from Serj, who more or less got his entire vocal style from an FNM song.

Angel Dust more or less spawned what would become alternative rock.

Not to mention that Patton has been doing this since he was no older than some of us, at such a high level.

Patton writes Fantomas on his own. Far more "weird" and groundbreaking than Secret Chiefs.

-AC

Impediment
I'd resurrect Dimebag Darrell, for one. I took his death rather hard.

ESB -1138
The Eagles should have never broken up. Sure they had pretty good solo careers but it took them this long to come out with a full fledge Eagles album and here's looking forward to the Long Road Out of Eden

Pezmerga
Originally posted by yvonnekarate
I would bring Frank Sinatra back.

Regards, Yvonne

Why>?? So he can die again? lol It's not like he died young.

Impediment
Why criticize her opinion? People could easily say the same about my wanting Dimebag Darrell to be alive again, but it isn't necessary to criticize, if you ask me.

Pezmerga
Originally posted by Impediment
Why criticize her opinion? People could easily say the same about my wanting Dimebag Darrell to be alive again, but it isn't necessary to criticize, if you ask me.

I was just making a joke. Is that ok with you?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Impediment

He was shot and still had a number of post-greatness mediocre albums left in him, so I can see why you'd be sad.

Frank Sinatra was old. It's supposed to be about changing history, not doing stuff that's inconsequential.

-AC

Pezmerga
Yeah...like Keep John Lennon Alive. Or keep Syd Barret from going nuts. Whatever. Reving old people would be pointless, they probally wouldn't contribute too much before they die again.

chillmeistergen
I would keep Mozart alive, for ever........

Pezmerga
I wonder what some of the classical geniuses would have produced if they were alive in... say....the 60's or 70's?

Oh well.

Alpha Centauri
I wonder what they called it.

Probably not classical.

-AC

Nellinator

Probably not classical.

-AC Mozart would have sold out.

Funkadelic
Make prince do the 21 nights in Belgium?

Man, that one show I went to was so COOL!

2D_MASTER
Mozart would have sold out.

Well a "sell out" Mozart would still be musically superior than the shit we have today. He was a musical genius, in the strictest sense of the word.

Nellinator
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
Well a "sell out" Mozart would still be musically superior than the shit we have today. He was a musical genius, in the strictest sense of the word. I'd say so, although he definitely isn't my favourite composer.

2D_MASTER
I'd say so, although he definitely isn't my favourite composer.

Cool, he isn't mine either. Happy Dance

Pezmerga

Probably not classical.

-AC

Heh point taken.

Alpha Centauri
Haha, I was just thinking aloud honestly.

-AC

yvonnekarate
Why>?? So he can die again? lol It's not like he died young.

No. He died when I was little, I never got to see him live, and I just want to see him on stage, singing my favourite songs. And he's my favourite artist, that's why.

Regards, Yvonne

Nellinator

Probably not classical.

-AC Interesting... I'd think they just called by what the song was. Symphony, concerto, opera, choral, sonata, etc. That's all I can think of.

Mr.Murder27
Get rid of EMO so people an stop calling my favorite bands EMO

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by Mr.Murder27
Get rid of EMO so people an stop calling my favorite bands EMO

...dolt.

Mr.Murder27
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
...dolt.
Dolt?

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by Mr.Murder27
Dolt?

...yah... "dolt", I sez.

InnerRise

Like I would like to have seen Jimi Hendrix live to join ELP. That would have been interesting to see, Although ELP Made 4 great albums on their own. I would make it so that Utada Hikaru had did a live Tour across the United States for her English Album "Exodus".

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

chillmeistergen
I'd make it so the silly bint, was drowned at birth.

Victor Von Doom
Hahaha.

Harsh, yes.

Fair, yes.

Or not, I don't know who she is.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Hahaha.

Harsh, yes.

Fair, yes.

Or not, I don't know who she is. Statistically likely that it would not have hurt music as a whole though.

InnerRise
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I'd make it so the silly bint, was drowned at birth. Something tells me I've gotten to you I have.

wave

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....Originally posted by Bardock42
Statistically likely that it would not have hurt music as a whole though. It would have.

yes

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by InnerRise
Something tells me I've gotten to you I have.

wave

anata wa wakarimasu ka..... It would have.

yes

Well your continuous posts about Japan, Utada whatever her face is, and never answering my question on whether you've been to Japan, are quite annoying, yeah. I'm not losing sleep over it, are you?

Why are you waving?

Oh, and who has Utada influenced?

InnerRise
My posts annoy you? Bother you? How unfortunate.....for you.

I love them.

scissors

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

chillmeistergen
It's not much of an achievement, to be able to post inane shit.

Yeah, you also love a culture you've most probably never even experienced. Funny, I've experienced it at a younger age than you, and don't really think it's that special.

InnerRise
What's even more interesting is how much someone else's interests bother you.

Now that's some "inane sh@t".

Kind of funny to watch as well.

funny

Never a dull moment here on the ol' KMC.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by InnerRise
What's even more interesting is how much someone else's interests bother you.

Now that's some "inane sh@t".

Kind of funny to watch as well.

funny

Never a dull moment here on the ol' KMC.

Not really your interests that interest me, it's your motivation, as a person to learn about them. It really does speak volumes about your personality.

InnerRise
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Not really your interests that interest me, it's your motivation, as a person to learn about them. It really does speak volumes about your personality. Motivation?

You know my motivation?

Speaks volumes about my personality?

Didn't know my reputation proceeded me in a fashion where it wasn't even necessary for me to even say a word. You just know somehow.

How FLATTERING. Thank You.

You're making me feel like a celebrity. I love my fans.

blush2

chillmeistergen
Well, have you been to Japan? The fact you never answer that question, and even got quite emotional about it in another thread, seems to suggest you haven't.

InnerRise
Emotional? I doubt it.

Amused? Definitely.

That fact that you'll still pushing this closed issue as if I'll change my stance is doubly Amusing.

Alpha Centauri
Chill, really, as if it's his fault that he has cultural crisis.

You can't pick on people for these things.

-AC

InnerRise
Dusty made a "Man Crush" thread in the OTF.

I think you should go there and Post my Name, b/c you tend to always get involved in my conversations, but then when someone says something to you about it, you say, "don't get me involved in this." Rather funny stuff if you ask me. And hypocritical, but that's a given.

It's FLATTERING. I just didn't realize how much of an influence I had on you.

Thank You.

thankyou

Night Night Fan of Mine. wink

Alpha Centauri
You're a very insecure boy.

All that post, just for me defending your identity crisis.

-AC

InnerRise
Well it seemed like you wanted attention again and I hardly ever give it to you so I thought I'd throw a dog a bone.

wink

But anyway, enough about infatuations of me. Back to this thread.

If I could change history I'd make it so that I knew of Utada Hikaru way before I discovered her.

She's truly a dream and a gift to my fan filled life.

RedAlertv2
ugh, youre such a troll

InnerRise
Please keep to the thread topic and stop trolling.

wink

the welsh one
if i could rewrite music history the 80s would have lasted another 30 years

InnerRise
EDIT

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.