UK Poverty Line

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

miss_swann
So today, we moved back to our own house in Kensington. And I went round to my best friends house (who now only lives 2 doors down again! woop!) and this boy from his school was there (he goes to the same school as my brother) and his mum was at a dinner party at ours a few weeks ago. Anyways he was chatting about his brother who's in Cambridge and how his flat in below the poverty line and I was like wtf? His parents are (probably) as rich as mine if he goes to the same school as my brother, how the eff is his brothers flat below the poverty line? And I asked, and he was like, well isn't your house below the povert line? And I said no. Then he said to be above the poverty line you need to have central heating, and my mum said your house didn't have central heating because your house is a listed building.Then I realised that even though both my parents make over a million per year I live below the poverty line. Wtf? How does this work? Does this mean EVERYONE living in a listed building lives below the poverty line?

Does anyone think that this is really stupid?

Fishy
Originally posted by miss_swann
So today, we moved back to our own house in Kensington. And I went round to my best friends house (who now only lives 2 doors down again! woop!) and this boy from his school was there (he goes to the same school as my brother) and his mum was at a dinner party at ours a few weeks ago. Anyways he was chatting about his brother who's in Cambridge and how his flat in below the poverty line and I was like wtf? His parents are (probably) as rich as mine if he goes to the same school as my brother, how the eff is his brothers flat below the poverty line? And I asked, and he was like, well isn't your house below the povert line? And I said no. Then he said to be above the poverty line you need to have central heating, and my mum said your house didn't have central heating because your house is a listed building.Then I realised that even though both my parents make over a million per year I live below the poverty line. Wtf? How does this work? Does this mean EVERYONE living in a listed building lives below the poverty line?

1.) What is this a family history story?

2.) What is this a story where you are bragging about your parents money?

3.) Why would you automatically assume that the parents pay everything for their kids?

4.) Yes it is stupid, if it's true. But I highly doubt that it is true.

lord xyz

Does anyone think that this is really stupid? We're the UK. To us, poverty is anyone who can't afford a horse, a 3 story building, and can play croquet.

debbiejo
I don't know about there, but here in the States they just lowered the "Middle Class" standards to include some of the lower class. This really sucks because it's deceiving by lowering the standards.

anaconda
how Posh

lord xyz
Originally posted by anaconda
how Posh Are my new personal troll? If so, it's bad...for you.

debbiejo
eat

tabby999
Originally posted by lord xyz
We're the UK. To us, poverty is anyone who can't afford a horse, a 3 story building, and can play croquet.

And own atleast one bowler hat.

By definition i'm under the Australian poverty line because as an apprentice i earn under $200 a week.

lord xyz
Originally posted by tabby999
And own atleast one bowler hat.

By definition i'm under the Australian poverty line because as an apprentice i earn under $200 a week. Or just can't afford to make your own beer and drink it everyday.

debbiejo
Slugszzzzzzzzzz

Sadako of Girth
Yeah that is really stupid.

The rich/poor divide must be so big its screwed if that is what the rich folks're now classing as the poverty line here.

debbiejo
Don't watch the news, I already know how the system works.

Robtard

You know that I find most disturbing? You being anorexic while having millionaire parents.

Victor Von Doom
Cos you can buy food and that.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Robtard
You know that I find most disturbing? You being anorexic while having millionaire parents. She's probably blonde aswell.

Wascally Wabbit

Whirly?

Robtard
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Cos you can buy food and that.

No, obviously not just that simple, you chronic masturbator.

tabby999
Or just can't afford to make your own beer and drink it everyday.

To be honest i'd get more support from welfare if i quit my job and did just that, they actually told me so...well not the beer part but if i quit my job...still not good.

lil bitchiness

So, even though your parents make millions, you are somehow allowed to be at the computer mixing with the people of lower class than you.

Don't you have dinner parties to do with Lord Evans and other philanthropists?

Symmetric Chaos

Block. Of. Text. Very. Hard. To read.

Random kids are not usually athorities on where the poverty line is, just fyi.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
So, even though your parents make millions, you are somehow allowed to be at the computer mixing with the people of lower class than you.

Don't you have dinner parties to do with Lord Evans and other philanthropists? How classcist of you.

lord xyz
Originally posted by tabby999
To be honest i'd get more support from welfare if i quit my job and did just that, they actually told me so...well not the beer part but if i quit my job...still not good. All my post is the beer part. no expression

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
How classcist of you.

No second "C", B-42

lord xyz
No second "C", B-42 It's a joke, I assume.

Bardock42
It's a joke, I assume. Nah, I just ****ed up.

WrathfulDwarf
I have the strangest urge to read Oliver Twist....

Sadako of Girth
LOL Yeah dont forget the page when Fagin sends out the boys to pick pockets for Blueberries, Bearer Bonds, deeds in real estate and where Oliver asks painfully in front of all, with cap in hand:
"Please sir, can I have some more than everyone else here".

Robtard
It's a joke, I assume.

Well, you know what they say about assuming...

lord xyz
Originally posted by Bardock42
Nah, I just ****ed up. Well atleast you can't exactly **** down.

Well, you know what they say about assuming... No...I don't.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.