Help Please!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BeautiflDisastr
My English Professor ask us this question and I need help finding it.

The question is:
September, October, and November do not follow their Latin roots (Sept means 7, Oct means 8 and Nov means 9)

Why is that?

------------
Can anyone help me with this question?

Dr. Badass420
Originally posted by BeautiflDisastr
My English Professor ask us this question and I need help finding it.

The question is:
September, October, and November do not follow their Latin roots (Sept means 7, Oct means 8 and Nov means 9)

Why is that?

------------
Can anyone help me with this question?
october was named after ceaser's son Octtavius

SelphieT
Well, the latin numbers are obviously older than our common months......

I can't honestly tell you.

Other than neither does December (Decem, 10)

Wild-Cherry
I believe it has to do with a month taken away for one reason or another hmm

sorry for my lack of details smart

BeautiflDisastr
Octavius was Julius Ceasers nephew who later changed his name to Augustus.

-----
I need more details please, thanks

Scythe
I don't listen to hip-hop...

Dr. Badass420
Originally posted by Scythe
I don't listen to hip-hop...
WTF?

Captain REX
The Roman calendar had only ten months, in which September was the seventh, October was the eighth, and November was the ninth. The year started with March (Martius) and ended with December. Even when January (Ianuarius) and February (Februarius) were added, they came after December as the eleventh and twelfth months.

This has obviously been changed, putting Sept., Oct., Nov., and December into the slots of months 9, 10, 11, and 12.

SelphieT
laughing out loud Scythe, you goat bastard

Kelly_Bean
Google or Wiki.

BeautiflDisastr
I've tried. I can't find it. I need more details please smile

Lana
I've tried. I can't find it. I need more details please smile

Try reading up three posts.

Kelly_Bean
I'm not absolutely sure, but this page may help you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupercalia

and you can go to google and type in: Latin roots according to months, that's how I got that wikipedia result, but I'm not exactly positive on your question so I am just trying to help a little.

Captain REX
I feel rather ignored...

Kelly_Bean
Originally posted by Captain REX
I feel rather ignored...
hug

Lana
HEY GUYS, IT'S BEEN EXPLAINED.

The Roman calendar had only ten months, in which September was the seventh, October was the eighth, and November was the ninth. The year started with March (Martius) and ended with December. Even when January (Ianuarius) and February (Februarius) were added, they came after December as the eleventh and twelfth months.

This has obviously been changed, putting Sept., Oct., Nov., and December into the slots of months 9, 10, 11, and 12.

Reading comprehension, mother****ers.

stick out tongue

Strangelove

This has obviously been changed, putting Sept., Oct., Nov., and December into the slots of months 9, 10, 11, and 12. He's riiiight....

Scythe
Originally posted by Lana
Try reading up three posts.

Originally posted by SelphieT
laughing out loud Scythe, you goat bastard

"??????"

BeautiflDisastr
I feel rather ignored...

I know nothing about the history of calendars. and She wants a full paragraph, so I need more in so I can bullshit my way through the paragraph.

Lana
I know nothing about the history of calendars. and She wants a full paragraph, so I need more in so I can bullshit my way through the paragraph.

Do your own research. We're not doing your homework for you.

Captain REX
Well, good luck with your failing paper, then. We're not going to write it for you.

Vinny Valentine
Well, good luck with your failing paper, then. We're not going to write it for you.

Ding Ding Ding... We have a sexy winner!

BackFire

You can easily stretch Rex's explanation into a full paragraph.

Learn to create filler.

BeautiflDisastr

I didn't ask you to. I didn't even ask for an explanation. I asked for a place to find the info.

I can't find anything on google. and half the stuff on wiki is BS

SelphieT
I didn't ask you to. I didn't even ask for an explanation. I asked for a place to find the info.

You can only blame yourself now. *shrugs*

Vinny Valentine
no expression ..... no expression

haermm

131wank

Lana

Go get a book.

You know, that old-fashioned way of research.

They won't bite, honest.

Vinny Valentine
Go get a book.

You know, that old-fashioned way of research.

They won't bite, honest.

Books don't bite? Where have you been living Lana? ... In our new age, there have been millions of reports of books opening up, and causing a black fungoto page biter to jump out and kill those who opened the book.

In short summary: Books are dangerous! It's totally not lazyness that ****s people over... It's the books fault!

Röland
The hell is a fungoto? haermm

Lana
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
Books don't bite? Where have you been living Lana? ... In our new age, there have been millions of reports of books opening up, and causing a black fungoto page biter to jump out and kill those who opened the book.

In short summary: Books are dangerous! It's totally not lazyness that ****s people over... It's the books fault!

Well that's what happens when you just abandon your books. They get lonely.

And eventually start to plot revenge.

Vinny Valentine
Well that's what happens when you just abandon your books. They get lonely.

And eventually start to plot revenge.

I know, it's scary isn't it... My books have been plotting when I'm *asleep*

But I hear them... I do...

Lana
I know, it's scary isn't it... My books have been plotting when I'm *asleep*

But I hear them... I do...

See, mine don't plot against me doped

Vinny Valentine
See, mine don't plot against me doped

You treat them well?

I'm mostly scared of my Stephen King books that sit next to my Dean Koontz on my shelf... They plot up the scariest shit ever... I swear they want to torture me... In a non sexual, more painful way.

Barker
http://images.killermovies.com/forums/custom_avatars/avatar98026_97.gif

Cryl

Lana
You treat them well?

I'm mostly scared of my Stephen King books that sit next to my Dean Koontz on my shelf... They plot up the scariest shit ever... I swear they want to torture me... In a non sexual, more painful way.

Of course I treat my books well. I spend more time reading than anything else stick out tongue

Even when I'm on the computer I usually have a book at hand.

(Like right now)

Captain REX
My books are definitely plotting. I have an enormous shelf-full of books, but only have read a few.

Strangelove
I've read (most) of my books at least once.

There's a couple I haven't gotten to yet, but they know I'm coming for them. sly

Lana
I've read every book I own multiple times.

You can tell which ones have been read a lot because they have a very 'loved' look to them...ie they're kinda falling apart stick out tongue

Strangelove
I can't stand that, myself. I like to keep my books looking as good as they can for as long as they can.

I've developed a way of reading a little sideways so I don't crease the spine. embarrasment

Punkyhermy
Originally posted by Strangelove
I can't stand that, myself. I like to keep my books looking as good as they can for as long as they can.

I've developed a way of reading a little sideways so I don't crease the spine. embarrasment

haha.

omg!

i do the same thing!

the books i love are in perfect condition..i don't even open them completely. i hate getting that telltale line along their spine.stick out tongue

Lana

laughing out loud

I like to read while lying in bed (when I was a kid I'd usually have a half-dozen books in my bed), and I've got them all over the house. I don't go out of my way to beat them up, but I know they won't stay in perfect shape either stick out tongue

My copies of the Harry Potter books (except DH, too new for it to be beat up at all yet) and Lord of the Rings are probably in the worst shape. I should replace them...yet it's easy to tell that I'm not the sort of person to just keep them on a shelf to collect dust stick out tongue

Vinny Valentine
The last book I read was.... The Girl Who loved Tom Gordan.

Was a good read.

Strangelove
I was just looking at my bookshelf, and the only books that are even slightly beat up are the ones I got secondhand laughing

My Harry Potter books are pristine, and I've read them each many times over big grin

Lana
I was just looking at my bookshelf, and the only books that are even slightly beat up are the ones I got secondhand laughing

My Harry Potter books are pristine, and I've read them each many times over big grin

I have sooooo many secondhand books. Great way to grab copies of books I like that are less easy to find and for cheap.

Barker

I keep thinking you're Scottie. haermm

Strangelove
I have sooooo many secondhand books. Great way to grab copies of books I like that are less easy to find and for cheap. No doubt. Represent!Originally posted by Barker
I keep thinking you're Scottie. haermm Well you keep thinking wrong haermm

Lana
No doubt. Represent! Well you keep thinking wrong haermm

I found this one really cool website where you can find pretty much any book for under $10 (most are about $3-4) and the shipping's free. It's awesome.

Strangelove
I found this one really cool website where you can find pretty much any book for under $10 (most are about $3-4) and the shipping's free. It's awesome. shock

Lana
shock

I'll PM you the link happy

Strangelove
I'll PM you the link happy love

Syren
HEY GUYS, IT'S BEEN EXPLAINED.

Reading comprehension, mother****ers.

stick out tongue

laughing out loud

I found myself clenching my fists... you're not the only one stick out tongue

I'll PM you the link happy

ALSO... eek!

candymae
hi.........................

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.