Top 10 favorite anime

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ensatsu-ken
Alright, I'm not sure if this has already been done before, but I checked the last few pages, and I didn't see any threads like this (at least not from the titles). I also checked the forum rules, and these types of threads don't seem to be against the rules. Anyways, the idea is pretty self-explanatory from the thread title, but in case anyone doesn't get it, you just basically list your top 10 favorite anime series that you have seen so far. Well, it doesn't necessarily need to be 10, but you can just list your favorites. Here are mine:

1. Yu Yu Hakusho
2. Death Note
3. Hellsing Ultimate
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. Full Metal Panic! (all 3 series/seasons)
6. Fullmetal Alchemist
7. Black Lagoon
8. D. Gray-Man
9. Hunter X Hunter
10. Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force

And, just for the hell of it, I'll go all the way up to 15 big grin :

11. Hikaru no Go
12. Rurouni Kenshin
13. Outlaw Star
14. Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z
15. Lupin III

Dusty
Well, I don't know, I haven't watched that many. I'll hit you up if I ever do take interest in that many. No one hold their breath's.

chickenlover98
1 dbz
2 tenchi
3 bleach
4 yu yu hakusho
5 rurouni kenshin
6 zoids
7 gundam(all series)
8 dragonball
9 outlaw star
10 read or die ova. (if ne one has this in english send it me, i hate subtitles.)

btw wtf is deathnote

ensatsu-ken
Well, I have seen quite a few anime, but I actually don't watch it all that often. Its just that I have been in to anime for about 8 years now (ever since I saw DBZ back on Kids WB, around that many years ago, and fell in love with anime ever since wink ). Anyways, over the years, I have seen a little over 2 dozen anime (approximately 25-30 different series; as well as bits and pieces various other series). Throught that, I have been able to come up with a list of my top 10-15 favorite anime that I have ever seen (of course, since I still do watch anime, my list is constantly subject to change).

With that said, just as a reminder, you don't need to list 10 favorite anime. You can just list a a few of your favorite anime shows, or series that you like.

chickenlover98
hey ensatsu can you do me a favor? i rly cant find a torrent thats has english voices for the read or die ova. i rly dont wanna buy it. mabe u could help me there

chickenlover98
ive dled at least 10 torrents for that ova. sad

chickenlover98
i shoulda put it near the top, i rly loved that ova. i need to watch the series for that.

ensatsu-ken
btw wtf is deathnote

Its an awesome anime about a shinigami who drops a mysterious supernatural notebook into the human world. A high school kid picks it up, and discovers that it has the power to kill people, by writing their names in the notebook. When you know the name and face of a person, and write their name in the notebook, you can kill them in any way that you want (provided that its phsycially possible). The shinigami then confronts him, and tells him about the death note, and that he will be accompanying him from time to time, since he dropped the death note in the human world. I don't want to spoil to much, but the main story is basically about the kid (his name is Light Yagami BTW; and in Japanese, its spelled "Raito"wink, trying to rid the world of criminals, and make it a better place, but how some of the world is against this morality, and how a super genious detective comes in to challenge Light (who is known to the world as Kira), in a game of cat and mouse. Whoever's identity is found first, is the loser, and the loser shall die. Its a really great, fast-paced, anime, and will keep most people on the edge of their seat throughout the whole entire series. It may seem like a turnoff because it has no action in it, but trust me when I say that this is one anime that almost anyone can get into, even people who don't like anime without action wink .

And just on a side note, although DN has shinigami, it is not a rip-off of Bleach, because shinigami are not a creation of Bleach's. They are mythological Japanese beings, that have existed in Japanese myths and legends for quite awhile (if I'm not mistaken). In the case of DN, they are just portrayed differently than how they are in Bleach.

chickenlover98
k cool 2 things. again what i said about that read or die ova. im dyin to watch it again.

second how long is the series?

ensatsu-ken
Originally posted by chickenlover98
hey ensatsu can you do me a favor? i rly cant find a torrent thats has english voices for the read or die ova. i rly dont wanna buy it. mabe u could help me there

Sorry, but unfortunately, I have not been able to download anime for the past couple of years (long story; well not really....I'm just too lazy to explain it, lol laughing ). So, I'm not really good at finding links to torrents and stuff like that. However, I might just ask a friend, who may happen to know (since he usuall downloads his anime wink ).

Also, Death Note is a total of 37 episodes, plus a special director's cut episode (which is about 3 hours long, and is a recap of the 1st arc, except with additional/extra scenes added in; and its told from the shinigami's point of view as well). The manga for Death Note is a total of 12 volumes, and the 2nd arc of the manga covers a lot more material than the anime does (since the anime cut so much materia out from the second arc of the manga).

chickenlover98
ill dl it when i have time

Katt
Why is a crappy show like DBZ on your top10 list? Were you sleeping when you watched it?

Wild-Cherry
Originally posted by Katt
Why is a crappy show like DBZ on your top10 list? Were you sleeping when you watched it? When I was little I used to love DBZ stick out tongue

I kind of grew out of it though hmm

In any case it's fan base is HUGE shockyes

Wild-Cherry
&&&
1. Paranoia Agent
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
3. Wolf's Rain
4. Strawberry Panic
5. Outlaw Star
6. Ghost in the Shell
7. Ginga Densetsu Weed
8. YuYu Hakusho
9. G Gundam
10. Kanazuki no Miko

ensatsu-ken
Why is a crappy show like DBZ on your top10 list? Were you sleeping when you watched it?

Its all opinion. Simply just because you don't like a show, doesn't mean that someone else has to think about it the same way that you do. Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z was my very first anime, and is what got me into anime in the first place, which is why its on my top "15" (not "10"wink list. Also, its a lot more interesting for me watch, than a lot of newer, and more overrated, shounen (which I will not mention here, since I know that I will get flamed for doing so, lol laughing ).

Anyways, could you please try and stay on topic. Why not just list some of your favorite anime, if you don't have a top 10 list?

Dusty
1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Samurai Champloo
3. Claymore
4. Chobits
5. Mushishi

Akuki
1. GTO
2. Death Note
3. Claymore
4. Elfen Lied
5. Hellsing Ultimate
6. Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
7. Samurai X
8. Gundam 08 MS Team
9. Monster
10. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

And just to give it a place of honor as it was the first anime series I ever watched:
InuYasha

chickenlover98
akuki im suprised bleach aint on ur list. u seem to know everything about it i thought itd b more important.

Akuki
Originally posted by chickenlover98
akuki im suprised bleach aint on ur list. u seem to know everything about it i thought itd b more important.
Bleach happens to my favorite current series, but these are the real classics that I just love.

Kento
1 Hokuto No Ken
2Ronin Warriors
3 Naruto
4 Cased Closed
5 Card Captor Sakura
6 Outlaw Star
7 Boys Be
8 Zoids (Whichever series it is that has Bit Cloud in it)
9 Love Hina
10 Sailor Moon

Violent2Dope
I can't name a top ten, but I can name some I like.

DBZ and anything related
Bleach
Naruto
Yu Yu Hakusho(I was f*ckin infuriated when Toonami canceled it before the Sensui arc ended)
Blood +
Tenchi OVA(before the 3rd one, which I didn't care for)
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge OVA(MOST. BADASS. FIGHT SCENES. EVER.)
Rurouni Kenshin/ Samurai X
Samurai Champloo
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Full Metal Alchemist
Ghost in the Shell(Motoko Kusanagi is hot lol)

ensatsu-ken
Originally posted by Kento
8 Zoids (Whichever series it is that has Bit Cloud in it)

That would be "Zoids: New Century Zero" wink .

Kento
Originally posted by ensatsu-ken
That would be "Zoids: New Century Zero" wink . Thanks. It's been a long time since I've seen it and it was the first one I ever saw when it appeared on Cartoon Network.

midnightshadow
my top ten are, in no paticular order,
fake
gundamwing
dbz
wolfs rain
chrono crusade
d grayman
samurai deeper kyo
getbackers
gravi
tactics

Katt
Its all opinion. Simply just because you don't like a show, doesn't mean that someone else has to think about it the same way that you do. Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z was my very first anime, and is what got me into anime in the first place, which is why its on my top "15" (not "10"wink list. Also, its a lot more interesting for me watch, than a lot of newer, and more overrated, shounen (which I will not mention here, since I know that I will get flamed for doing so, lol laughing ).

Anyways, could you please try and stay on topic. Why not just list some of your favorite anime, if you don't have a top 10 list?

Yeah, i guess you're right. Didn't mean to sound like a troll there.
Anyways.. top 10 huh? In no particular order then:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Planetes
Juuni Kokuki
Hunter X Hunter
Haibane Renmei
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
ARIA
RahXephon
School Rumble
and guess i'll throw in Azumanga Daioh in here to.

There are still alot of shows out there worth mentioning. Theses are the ones that i remember from the top of my head smile

midnightshadow
oh my god i totally missed out yami!!!! how could i do that. well ill just have to have 11 fav animes big grin

ensatsu-ken
Yeah, i guess you're right. Didn't mean to sound like a troll there.
Anyways.. top 10 huh? In no particular order then:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Planetes
Juuni Kokuki
Hunter X Hunter
Haibane Renmei
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
ARIA
RahXephon
School Rumble
and guess i'll throw in Azumanga Daioh in here to.

There are still alot of shows out there worth mentioning. Theses are the ones that i remember from the top of my head smile

Its good to see that there is someone else who likes Hunter X Hunter cool . On most forums that I go to, a lot of people have never even heard of the series laughing .

Akuki
Its good to see that there is someone else who likes Hunter X Hunter cool . On most forums that I go to, a lot of people have never even heard of the series laughing .
Go HXH!!!! Killua rocks.

Wild-Cherry

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Hunter X Hunter
ARIA
RahXephon

thumb up

Katt

Never heard of it?! Blasphemous! Well, guess it never grew as popular as other shounen ala Bleach/Naruto/DBZ etc.
Not to mention a quality fansub/DVD-ripping group. So the audio/video quality is kinda crap when you DL it.

Another shounen worth mentioning is Hikaru No Go.

ensatsu-ken
Never heard of it?! Blasphemous! Well, guess it never grew as popular as other shounen ala Bleach/Naruto/DBZ etc.
Not to mention a quality fansub/DVD-ripping group. So the audio/video quality is kinda crap when you DL it.

Another shounen worth mentioning is Hikaru No Go.

Hikaru no Go was great cool . Wow, I'm impressed. Most people don't really give much shounen a chance, past the overrated ones, such as Naruto, Bleach, Inu-Yasha, etc......OH CRAP, I just mentioned them.......well I suppose that I'm going to be getting my ass flamed by some fanboy sooner or later, lol laughing .

getting back to what I was saying: I have read all of the manga for HnG, and I have seen the first 30 or so episodes of the anime (I stopped watching since it was pretty much the same thing as the manga; and therefore, I already knew what to expect, as well as what would happen). However, the anime has surprisingly good music, and I still found it entertaining to watch, even though I had only recently finished the manga when I had started watching it.

Another (somewhat) underrated shounen, IMO, would have to be Yu Yu Hakusho. Most people only see it as nothing more than a cheap DBZ clone/rip-off, but I have watched the entire series, and the anime had a lot more going for it than what most people realized (that, and the fact that most people don't seem to give it enough of a chance). It also happens to be by the same author/mangaka who created Hunter X Hunter, Yoshihiro Togashi wink .

BTW, would you by any chance happen to be fan of the Berserk manga (I'm guessing that you are at least a fan of Berserk, because of your avatar/icon). The reason why I ask if you read the manga, is because I just simply wanted to find out how many volumes/chapters of it are currently out. I have read a little bit past the 1st volume, and want to continue reading, but I might want to hold it off if its really long. Could you at least tell me if its more or less than 35 volumes (because if its more, than I will hold it off until later; but if its less, than I may continue reading it for the time being). I just don't have the time for an extremely long manga series right now. Anyways, I would appreciate it if you could answer that for me smile .

Katt
Hikaru no Go was great cool . Wow, I'm impressed. Most people don't really give much shounen a chance, past the overrated ones, such as Naruto, Bleach, Inu-Yasha, etc......OH CRAP, I just mentioned them.......well I suppose that I'm going to be getting my ass flamed by some fanboy sooner or later, lol laughing .

I agree with you. Naruto and Bleach are overrated. Don't know about Inu-Yasha since i've never bothered watching it. But i have to say, even if the Bleach & Naruto animes are overrated is still find their manga counter-parts enjoyable.

I've come to realize that one should never read the manga first if you're planning to watch the anime. I was one of the people who read the Death Note manga long before the release of the anime. Thanks to that i find the anime enjoyable at best :/

I havn't seen Yu Yu Hakusho yet. So i can't give my opinion on that matter. But it's on my "To Watch" list so i'll get around to it sooner or later.
Yet another shounen worth mentioning is Hajime No Ippo smile The manga is nearing 800 chapters.

Berserk is my favorite manga of all time. It's actually the first manga i started reading. The manga is currently in it's 33rd Volume with no ending in sight. It's been ongoing since 1988 so there's no telling when the last chapter will be released.
But seriously, i strongly recommend you check it out. It starts getting really badass after volume 13 smile

ensatsu-ken
Thanks for the info on Berserk. I will make sure that I ge back to reading it as soon as possible big grin !

As for Naruto and Bleach, I don't hate either of them, but I do feel that they are just avereage shounen at best. I stopped watching the anime versions for both of them, but I am still reading the manga for them (and I'm more or less up to date with both). I just feel that they have really been going downhill as of late though.

I also started with the Death Note manga first (and in fact, it was my very first manga wink ), but I still really loved the anime (its just that it wasn't quite as enjoyable as the manga was for me, but still an amazing series overall). The HnG anime is also great, and I would have loved to keep going through it, and see the story all over again, but there were also other anime that I wanted to watch, which is why I decided to put watching the HnG anime, on hiatus.

I have heard of Hajime no Ippo, and how long it is, which is why I will be waiting till next summer, when I will have loads of free time, before I actually start reading it, lol laughing . And as for YYH, its a great anime, and one of my favorites, however I must recommend that you watch the anime in English. The dubbing is surprisingly great, and its not as though I don't like the Japanese voices, but I just feel that in this case, the English voices fit the characters better, and make this series even more enjoyable than it already is cool .

Katt
Thanks for the info on Berserk. I will make sure that I ge back to reading it as soon as possible big grin !

As for Naruto and Bleach, I don't hate either of them, but I do feel that they are just avereage shounen at best. I stopped watching the anime versions for both of them, but I am still reading the manga for them (and I'm more or less up to date with both). I just feel that they have really been going downhill as of late though.

I also started with the Death Note manga first (and in fact, it was my very first manga wink ), but I still really loved the anime (its just that it wasn't quite as enjoyable as the manga was for me, but still an amazing series overall). The HnG anime is also great, and I would have loved to keep going through it, and see the story all over again, but there were also other anime that I wanted to watch, which is why I decided to put watching the HnG anime, on hiatus.

I have heard of Hajime no Ippo, and how long it is, which is why I will be waiting till next summer, when I will have loads of free time, before I actually start reading it, lol laughing . And as for YYH, its a great anime, and one of my favorites, however I must recommend that you watch the anime in English. The dubbing is surprisingly great, and its not as though I don't like the Japanese voices, but I just feel that in this case, the English voices fit the characters better, and make this series even more enjoyable than it already is cool .

Be sure to watch the Hajime no ippo anime too. The manga and anime don't really interfere with each other cause the manga is way past the point of the story where the anime finishes.
But i recommend watching the anime first. Has some great fighting scenes in it.

As for YYH and watching the english dub. I'll see what i do. I'll probably compare the both first. Cause when it comes to anime i prefer watching it in japanese (who doesn't? :P). I sadly watched through Berserk (anime) in english dub, and it wasn't a very pleasent experience. Though i did get used to it somewhere along the way, i most certainly would have prefered watching it in japanese.
On the other hand i really liked the english dubbed version of Spirited Away. Great movie.

Anyways, i'm DLing YYH now and i'm gonna give both versions a chance. See which one sounds best. Thanks for the heads up

ensatsu-ken
Be sure to watch the Hajime no ippo anime too. The manga and anime don't really interfere with each other cause the manga is way past the point of the story where the anime finishes.
But i recommend watching the anime first. Has some great fighting scenes in it.

As for YYH and watching the english dub. I'll see what i do. I'll probably compare the both first. Cause when it comes to anime i prefer watching it in japanese (who doesn't? :P). I sadly watched through Berserk (anime) in english dub, and it wasn't a very pleasent experience. Though i did get used to it somewhere along the way, i most certainly would have prefered watching it in japanese.
On the other hand i really liked the english dubbed version of Spirited Away. Great movie.

Anyways, i'm DLing YYH now and i'm gonna give both versions a chance. See which one sounds best. Thanks for the heads up

No problem. And thanks for the info. I have been planning to watch Hajimo no Ippo some time, but I have quite a busy schedul ahead of me, in terms of preparing for college next year, so I won't really be watching too much anime for awhile (which is why I have currently only been reading manga).

As for YYH, just so you know, I find that it takes a few episodes for the English voice actors to get a trule feel for their characters (I would say around 5-10 episodes, to be a little bit more exact). But, you should notice how much funnier the lines sound in English many times, rather than in the Japanese script, which is not bad, but at the same time, just not as funny at the parts where it counts (and I of course mean funny in a good way, lol laughing ).

Also, just so you know, most people find the beginning of Yu Yu Hakusho to be predictable and/or boring. I personally found the beginning to be great, in that it did a fantastic job of introducing the characters, and because it was very uniqe (remember, this is the earlier work of the same guy who did Hunter X Hunter wink ). I'd say that if you don't like it at first, at least give it a chance up until the middle of the Dark Tournament arc, to see if you really like it or not. But, hey, we've got one of Japan's most brilliant mangaka constructing the story, so how can you not enjoy it cool ?

Otus

ensatsu-ken

Otus
If you like Black Lagoon, then I recommend that you check out both Hellsing Ultimate and Cowboy Bebop wink . They are both extremely awesome anime, with lots of violence; mainly with gun battles, blood, and gore cool .
Thanks for tip, I might do that. :P

WHITEBEARD
1.Yoshiki Takaya- Guyver
2.Akira Toriyama-DBZ
3.Oda Eichiro-One piece
4.Nobuhiro Watsuki-Rurouni Kenshin
5.Kazuki Takahashi-Yu Gi Oh

Allankles
1. Samurai Champloo
2. Wolf's Rain
3. Desert Punk
4. Ghost in the shell SAC
5. Record of Lodoss OVA (Not the newer version that was lousy)
6. Berserk
7. Trigun
8. Full Metal Panic
9. Claymore
10. Black Lagoon/Ergo Proxy

sasukegaruto
my top 10 list is probably childish to some its:
1.dbz
2.dragonball
3.naruto
4.pokemon
5.naruto shippuden
6.pokemon johto
7.pokemon diamond+pearl
8.dbgt
9.bleach
10.akira

Big Sexy
no particular order
1. Naruto
2. DBZ
3. Ghost in the Shell
4. Ninja Scroll
5. Fist of the North Star
6. Zoids.

Otus

jmcnasty
1. Yu Yu Hakusho
2. DBZ
3. G Gundam
4. Sy-Cry-Ed
5. Ruroni Kenchin (Probably Spelled Incorrect)
6. Inuyasha
7. Slam Dunk
8. Bleach
9. Naruto
10. Trigun

11. Zoids
12. Wolf Rain
13. Outlaw Star
14. FLCL
15. HSDS (Kenichi)

ensatsu-ken

Otus

ensatsu-ken

Otus

JacopeX
1. Ruroni Kenshin
2. Dragon Ball Z
3. Naruto
4. Elfen Lied
5. Wild Striker
6. Angel Cop
7. Sc-Ry-Ed
8. Samurai Champloo
9. Cowboy Beebop
10. Love hina

And also...erm

11. Gantz
12. Hunter X Hunter
13. Paranoia Agent
14. Death Note
15. Eureka 7
16. Noir

ensatsu-ken

Allankles
IMO very few animes out there can top these for story and action.

1. Samurai Champloo
2. Wolf's Rain
3. Desert Punk
6. Berserk
7. Trigun
8. Full Metal Panic
9. Claymore

ensatsu-ken
Originally posted by Allankles
IMO very few animes out there can top these for story and action.

1. Samurai Champloo
2. Wolf's Rain
3. Desert Punk
6. Berserk
7. Trigun
8. Full Metal Panic
9. Claymore

Black Lagoon is one of my top 10 favorite anime as well, but in terms of story, its nothing special. It doesn't really have set story line (although that is something that I really like about it), but rather, its just about a group of mercenaries going around, performing random missions that they are hired for. I also really like Full Metal Panic! (all 3 series/seasons). The ironic thing about it though, is that I am usually not too fond of mecha anime, or anime with mecha in them stick out tongue .

In terms of story line, Samurai Champloo is good, but I have seen some stories that I like better. For me, there is probably no anime that can top Death Note in terms of story line (however, the Rurouni Kenshin manga, not the anime, is equal to Death Note in terms of story line, IMO).

Otus

ensatsu-ken

Symmetric Chaos
Death Note
Hellsing
FMA
Haruhi
Cowboy Bebop
etc
etc

Alucard25
As far as series goes these are my favorites.

1.Scryed
2.Flame of Recca
3.Trinity Blood
4.Full Metal Panic
5.Vision Of Escaflowne
6.Trigun
7.Dual!
8.Hellsing
9.Irresponsible Captain Tyler
10.Lost Universe

And movies would have to be these...

1.Ninja Scroll
2.Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
3.Spriggan
4.Cassahan
5.MD Giest
6.Voltage Fighter Gowkaizer
7.Princess Mononoke
8.Howls Moving Castle
9.Wind of Amnesia
10.Akira

Mairuzu
Full metal alchemist
Trigun
Bleach
DBZ
Inuyasha
haha does shinchan count?

ensatsu-ken
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Full metal alchemist
Trigun
Bleach
DBZ
Inuyasha
haha does shinchan count?

Yes, Shin-chan is an anime stick out tongue .

Otus

ensatsu-ken

Otus

Otus
Sorry for the double post...

Watched Dai Mahou Touge! It was really wierd and random at times... But, very funny and entertaining, and nice violence too! big grin Kinda wanted to put it above DBZ, but ehh, it was so short, so a draw there too... : /

1. Black Lagoon
2. Hellsing (TV-series and OVAs)
4. Burst Angel
5. Fullmetal Alchemist
6. Dai Mahou Touge / DBZ

And now I started watching Najica, looking good... big grin And pretty white, if you get my point... wink

DeathEater23
have to many

moonknight11
1.DB/DBZ
2.Naruto
3.Blood+
4.Death Note
5.Bleach
6.Bo-bo-bo

Uchiha Sasuke
1. Bleach
2. Naruto
3. Afro Samurai
4. Hellsing
5. Samurai X
6. Samurai Champloo
7. FLCL
8. Cowboy Bebop
9. Full Metal Alchemist
10. Air Master

Linkinpark200
1 mens the best.
10.dragonball
9.G gundam
8.zoids chaotic century
7.zoids
6.inuyasha
5.outlaw star
4.gundam wing
3.dragonball gt
2.yu yu hakusho
1.dragonball z

Allankles
Black Lagoon is one of my top 10 favorite anime as well, but in terms of story, its nothing special. It doesn't really have set story line (although that is something that I really like about it), but rather, its just about a group of mercenaries going around, performing random missions that they are hired for. I also really like Full Metal Panic! (all 3 series/seasons). The ironic thing about it though, is that I am usually not too fond of mecha anime, or anime with mecha in them stick out tongue .

In terms of story line, Samurai Champloo is good, but I have seen some stories that I like better. For me, there is probably no anime that can top Death Note in terms of story line (however, the Rurouni Kenshin manga, not the anime, is equal to Death Note in terms of story line, IMO).

Deathnote really isn't strong in the story department. It just seems like an overdrawn soap opera to me. For example: if you want to tell if there's a lot of story going on look at the elements of the story, and observe how much they progress per episode. With Deathnote they seemed to circle around the same issue for several episodes.

The actually killer is a suspect after a few episodes, the suspect hangs around the detective, then plots to kill him and this takes 25 episodes to accomplish it's too much filler.

Samurai Champloo was a much richer experience because it addressed the most interesting elements of the story without trying to lengthen the series. It had no overarching plot (at least not a strong one) because that can sometimes lead to filler episodes like a lot of animes (deathnote included).

However, Deathnote has some interesting elements but it needs the creator to be more bold. There needs to be more tragedy and early, the threat of death should be ever present for the protagonist, and his own demise should arrive after 26 episodes of suspense and delight.

There's a series out called Dexter, that's very similar to Death Note: watch it. That should give you a very good idea of what I'm talking about.

Lord. Kadaj
1.Bleach
2.Naruto
3.Hellsing
4.Fullmetal Alcemist
5.Death Note
6.Claymore
7.Inuyasha
8.Trinity Blood
9.Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
10.Zoids: New Century

ensatsu-ken
Deathnote really isn't strong in the story department. It just seems like an overdrawn soap opera to me. For example: if you want to tell if there's a lot of story going on look at the elements of the story, and observe how much they progress per episode. With Deathnote they seemed to circle around the same issue for several episodes.

The actually killer is a suspect after a few episodes, the suspect hangs around the detective, then plots to kill him and this takes 25 episodes to accomplish it's too much filler.

Samurai Champloo was a much richer experience because it addressed the most interesting elements of the story without trying to lengthen the series. It had no overarching plot (at least not a strong one) because that can sometimes lead to filler episodes like a lot of animes (deathnote included).

However, Deathnote has some interesting elements but it needs the creator to be more bold. There needs to be more tragedy and early, the threat of death should be ever present for the protagonist, and his own demise should arrive after 26 episodes of suspense and delight.

There's a series out called Dexter, that's very similar to Death Note: watch it. That should give you a very good idea of what I'm talking about.

That's your opinion, but it doesn't really change mine. Death Note accomplished a lot in one episode, and their was hardly any fillers, since it was staying very faithful to the manga's story line, without adding too many scenes in (if anything, it cut out a lot). Also, upon actually paying attention to the plot, you would see that its not just going over the same stuff, but rather there is a lot of intellectual development going on with the characters, which may not be so apparently obvious, since its not like an action anime.

As for me, Samurai Champloo was just an average anime experience, but with cool action and animation. Other than that, its story didn't truly pull me in, and I wasn't as entertained with it as I was with Death Note. Basically, Death Note's story almost always kept me on the edge of my seat, in both the manga and the anime.

Allankles

As for me, Samurai Champloo was just an average anime experience, but with cool action and animation. Other than that, its story didn't truly pull me in, and I wasn't as entertained with it as I was with Death Note. Basically, Death Note's story almost always kept me on the edge of my seat, in both the manga and the anime.

Obviously these are opinions, i'm just try to make a better justification, which is all you can do in such cases.

You can't define the quality of a story based on it's genre. Deathnote is a suspense thriller and is designed to put the viewer a little on edge (given the complexity of the situations). Samurai Champloo is a much more common genre with very common themes, however its more fun to watch than just about every samurai show out there, and has characters that are interesting, strong and a lot less pretentious than so many other characters in anime.

Samurai Champloo is honest, fun and has more quality per episode than most animes, and that's including its predecessor Cowboy Bebop.

Allankles
That's your opinion, but it doesn't really change mine. Death Note accomplished a lot in one episode, and their was hardly any fillers, since it was staying very faithful to the manga's story line, without adding too many scenes in (if anything, it cut out a lot). Also, upon actually paying attention to the plot, you would see that its not just going over the same stuff, but rather there is a lot of intellectual development going on with the characters, which may not be so apparently obvious, since its not like an action anime.

And as far as my point goes about Death Note's filler, I'm not implying that there's no progress, I'm implying that the progress is too slow and a lot of tension is lost as a result. When Light is captured the first time and subjected to interrogation there's no suspense, because the situation took too long in arriving to one degree (Light is able to prepare for the interrogation) but also to quick in arriving because Light is suspected too quickly.

When you create shows like these, you have to give the killer a little leeway where he's comfortable and is only initially given problems by his victims, then have the investigation slowly lead towards him, because he fails to close out the smallest of loose ends causing him to panic even more. And just as he dodges a bullet and believes he's escaped it all, the authorities close in on him for a final showdown.

In the Death note anime, the creators seemed to be trying too hard to elongate the series. The creators didn't show enough courage (which is what you need when making a suspense thriller) to bring about that fatal tragic final showdown, following the natural progression of the plot, they quite obviously lengthened it. They showed too much avoidance in killing the main characters. I mean, these guys are right in the wheel house of a telepathic (of soughts) killer, yet they aren't dead after 25 episodes?

Yeah I know Lights intent had something to do with that but it's the creators job to take some liberties and force the detectives into a confrontation with light. When no one of significance has died after 25 episodes in a story like this, you know the creators are just pulling for length.

It was done with the manga as an excuse, but a lot of tension got lost once you start going past episode 25.

ensatsu-ken
And as far as my point goes about Death Note's filler, I'm not implying that there's no progress, I'm implying that the progress is too slow and a lot of tension is lost as a result. When Light is captured the first time and subjected to interrogation there's no suspense, because the situation took too long in arriving to one degree (Light is able to prepare for the interrogation) but also to quick in arriving because Light is suspected too quickly.

When you create shows like these, you have to give the killer a little leeway where he's comfortable and is only initially given problems by his victims, then have the investigation slowly lead towards him, because he fails to close out the smallest of loose ends causing him to panic even more. And just as he dodges a bullet and believes he's escaped it all, the authorities close in on him for a final showdown.

In the Death note anime, the creators seemed to be trying too hard to elongate the series. The creators didn't show enough courage (which is what you need when making a suspense thriller) to bring about that fatal tragic final showdown, following the natural progression of the plot, they quite obviously lengthened it. They showed too much avoidance in killing the main characters. I mean, these guys are right in the wheel house of a telepathic (of soughts) killer, yet they aren't dead after 25 episodes?

Yeah I know Lights intent had something to do with that but it's the creators job to take some liberties and force the detectives into a confrontation with light. When no one of significance has died after 25 episodes in a story like this, you know the creators are just pulling for length.

It was done with the manga as an excuse, but a lot of tension got lost once you start going past episode 25.

Hey, I can perfectly understand that you don't get the same stuff out of Death Note that I do, and I'm perfectly fine with that. But, that's still just the way you see it. Personally, I see Death Note to be a very fast paced anime, and I did enjoy the 2nd arc (although, more so in the manga than in the anime, simpley because the manga included much more detail, which is something that is very important to me). If Death Note isn't your thing, or if you found that the the creator did an unsatisfactory job with crafting the story, its not a problem with me, because its all your opinion, just like how Samurai Champloo being an average anime experience is only my opinion. However, I found Death Note's story and pacing to be done brilliantly, througout the entire manga and anime. Also, I'm not really sure what you meant exactly by saying that the people doing the anime were using the manga as an excuse. Could you clarify what you meant by saying that, for me?

lando005
1. Gundam Seed
2. Gundam Wing
3. Noir
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Samuria x/Ruroni Kenshin
6. Trigun
7. Bleach
8. Robotech
9. Matain Successor Nedesico
10. Excel Saga

Dreampanther
1. Tenju Tenge
2. Basilisk
3. Trinity Blood
4. Hellsing
5. Solty Rei
6. Full Metal Panic
7. Speed Grapher
8. .hack/Legend of the Twilight
9. .hack/Sign
10. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Demonic Phoenix
1. Bleach
2. Naruto
5. Gundam Wing
3. Death Note
7. Zeta Gundam
6. Code Geass (ongoing, so may shift)
8. Gundam 00 (same case as above)
10. Samurai Champaloo
4. Full Metal Alchemist
9. Ruruoni Kenshin(sp?)

Allankles
Hey, I can perfectly understand that you don't get the same stuff out of Death Note that I do, and I'm perfectly fine with that. But, that's still just the way you see it. Personally, I see Death Note to be a very fast paced anime, and I did enjoy the 2nd arc (although, more so in the manga than in the anime, simpley because the manga included much more detail, which is something that is very important to me). If Death Note isn't your thing, or if you found that the the creator did an unsatisfactory job with crafting the story, its not a problem with me, because its all your opinion, just like how Samurai Champloo being an average anime experience is only my opinion. However, I found Death Note's story and pacing to be done brilliantly, througout the entire manga and anime. Also, I'm not really sure what you meant exactly by saying that the people doing the anime were using the manga as an excuse. Could you clarify what you meant by saying that, for me?

I didn't say they used the manga as an excuse, I was saying it's a good cover/reason for lengthening the anime, however (for me) they failed to maximize on the medium, because with this type of story shortening it with more intensity per episode would have raised it's quality. It would have been a lot more tragic from very early on, the investigation would have needed to be handle with a little more artistic licence etc (basically making it that much better).

Second, since you keep stating Champloo was an average anime experience (for me it was a superior experience), could you please list the show's you would place on the same level? Because most the shows people like here can't hold a candle to Champloo.

Demonic Phoenix
I didn't say they used the manga as an excuse, I was saying it's a good cover/reason for lengthening the anime, however (for me) they failed to maximize on the medium, because with this type of story shortening it with more intensity per episode would have raised it's quality. It would have been a lot more tragic from very early on, the investigation would have needed to be handle with a little more artistic licence etc (basically making it that much better).

Second, since you keep stating Champloo was an average anime experience (for me it was a superior experience), could you please list the show's you would place on the same level? Because most the shows people like here can't hold a candle to Champloo.

Champaloo was awesome no doubt, though it was kinda short.

ensatsu-ken

Seriously, what exactly don't you understand about OPINIONS stick out tongue ? Just because you think something, doesn't mean that everyone else does. I said I respected your opinion, and just because I said that I found it to be average, doesn't mean that its average. But it seems that you just can't stand it that someone doesn't think SC is extremely awesome. You say that most shows can't hold a candel to Champloo, I say its average. Personally, while I like it, I say that it can't hold a candel to series like Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Panic!, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Hunter X Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Outlaw Star, Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force, Fullmetal Alchemist, Hikaru no Go, and quite a few others, but that is all MY OPINION.

If you can't stand that, then too bad, because I'm not changing my opinion just because it upsets you. If you like SC, and think that its a great series, than by all means, you have a right to think that, and maybe it is, but I personally just don't see it to be a "superb" series. For example, most people hate Yu Yu Hakusho, or call it an average shounen, but out of all of the shounen and other series that I have seen, I see much more in YYH than what most people do and do not give it credit for, and for that, I couldn't care less how many people called YYH stupid or lame, because its my opinion that its a great show. In that same sense, Samurai Champloo being great is the opinion of you and others, whereas Death Note being great is the opinion of me and other fans of the series.

Allankles
Seriously, what exactly don't you understand about OPINIONS stick out tongue ? Just because you think something, doesn't mean that everyone else does. I said I respected your opinion, and just because I said that I found it to be average, doesn't mean that its average. But it seems that you just can't stand it that someone doesn't think SC is extremely awesome. You say that most shows can't hold a candel to Champloo, I say its average. Personally, while I like it, I say that it can't hold a candel to series like Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Panic!, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Hunter X Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Outlaw Star, Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force, Fullmetal Alchemist, Hikaru no Go, and quite a few others, but that is all MY OPINION.

If you can't stand that, then too bad, because I'm not changing my opinion just because it upsets you. If you like SC, and think that its a great series, than by all means, you have a right to think that, and maybe it is, but I personally just don't see it to be a "superb" series. For example, most people hate Yu Yu Hakusho, or call it an average shounen, but out of all of the shounen and other series that I have seen, I see much more in YYH than what most people do and do not give it credit for, and for that, I couldn't care less how many people called YYH stupid or lame, because its my opinion that its a great show. In that same sense, Samurai Champloo being great is the opinion of you and others, whereas Death Note being great is the opinion of me and other fans of the series.

You make a good point, except there are ways to objectively judge a piece of art. If something is shallow or drawn out or inane or unimpressive or exaggerated, that's what they are because that's what they are.

Yu Yakusho objectively speaking has major flaws when perceiving it as a piece of fiction. I can like one show more than another and that's an opinion, but when you talk about it flaws/faults there's little subjectivity about that, that's just an accurate observation on what's there.

When it comes to action Champloo does it impressively, more so than in other anime like Yu Yakusho, or outlaw star or hunter x hunter or zoids. Why? It's very simple, the action is not derivative as is the case with most anime's, the action happens real time with the full perpective of the environment around it (no still images with irrational rainbow backrounds).

The animations are almost perfect, every movement is done with actual orientation in mind etc etc Is this an opinon? Maybe, but it's based on the facts of the matter, Samurai champloo's action is more visceral, better realized, more stylized and better choreographed, there's no two ways about that. That's an observation on a measurable aspect of the animes.

The creators of Champloo put more detail in their combat animations than most other animes.

You can have your opinion, but don't confuse objective analysis with an opinon based purely on preference. If Outlaw or Hunter x hunter or yu yakusho had better combat animations and choreography I would be making a case for them (on this particualr issue), but they simply don't. As for story, that can be argued, but I'm making a case for an observable and measurable factor, animation.

As for cowboy bebop, I though that with champloo Wantanbe (SP?) went a level higher with Champloo. Of course this is an opinion, but it's quite clear that Champloo had better quality per episode than did Bebop.

ensatsu-ken
You make a good point, except there are ways to objectively judge a piece of art. If something is shallow or drawn out or inane or unimpressive or exaggerated, that's what they are because that's what they are.

Yu Yakusho objectively speaking has major flaws when perceiving it as a piece of fiction. I can like one show more than another and that's an opinion, but when you talk about it flaws/faults there's little subjectivity about that, that's just an accurate observation on what's there.

When it comes to action Champloo does it impressively, more so than in other anime like Yu Yakusho, or outlaw star or hunter x hunter or zoids. Why? It's very simple, the action is not derivative as is the case with most anime's, the action happens real time with the full perpective of the environment around it (no still images with irrational rainbow backrounds).

The animations are almost perfect, every movement is done with actual orientation in mind etc etc Is this an opinon? Maybe, but it's based on the facts of the matter, Samurai champloo's action is more visceral, better realized, more stylized and better choreographed, there's no two ways about that. That's an observation on a measurable aspect of the animes.

The creators of Champloo put more detail in their combat animations than most other animes.

You can have your opinion, but don't confuse objective analysis with an opinon based purely on preference. If Outlaw or Hunter x hunter or yu yakusho had better combat animations and choreography I would be making a case for them (on this particualr issue), but they simply don't. As for story, that can be argued, but I'm making a case for an observable and measurable factor, animation.

As for cowboy bebop, I though that with champloo Wantanbe (SP?) went a level higher with Champloo. Of course this is an opinion, but it's quite clear that Champloo had better quality per episode than did Bebop.

First of all, comparing YYH to SC in terms of action and animation is something which I would not do, because I find it rather unfare. I mean, YYH is over 10 years older than SC, so of course SC would be superior to YYH in that department, but believe it or not, animation isn't too big on my criteria for rating anime. Yu Yu Hakusho' animation was decent enough to get the job done, and that's all I really need and ask for, as long as I enjoy the story and characters, and get plenty of entertainment out of it.

Samurai Champloo was fun to watch at times, but it wasn't the most entertaining anime for me, and it wasn't able to completely draw me into its story. Let me put it this way, there are those anime which are extremely entertaining for me, and which I can watch over and over again, enjoying it just as much, or even more no matter how many times I watch it, and then there are good anime series, which are entertaining to a certain point for me, but which I wouldn't revisit or rewatch any time, soon, and which didn't compell me as much as other series. For me, Samurai Champloo is the latter of the 2, but that is only my opinion. If its only my opinion, and if I said I respect yours, then what exactly is your problem with that?

Allankles
If its only my opinion, and if I said I respect yours, then what exactly is your problem with that?

Nothing except, that you were confusing my statements and questions on the quality of the anime with an opinion based on preference.

Saying Hunter x hunter, outlaw star and yu yu yakusho are better than Champloo are just opinions.

I don't care about preference but quality, and most of those shows lack many of Champloo's qualities upon objective analysis.

EDIT: I had asked you which shows you would place in Champloo's league in terms of quality (based on your statements on Champloo) and you merely listed the type of shows you prefered without elaborating on their quality.

I can like a certain show even though it is extremely flawed, my enjoyment of that show (in this case) isn't and wouldn't be congruent with its quality.

ensatsu-ken
Nothing except, that you were confusing my statements and questions on the quality of the anime with an opinion based on preference.

Saying Hunter x hunter, outlaw star and yu yu yakusho are better than Champloo are just opinions.

I don't care about preference but quality, and most of those shows lack many of Champloo's qualities upon objective analysis.

EDIT: I had asked you which shows you would place in Champloo's league in terms of quality (based on your statements on Champloo) and you merely listed the type of shows you prefered without elaborating on their quality.

I can like a certain show even though it is extremely flawed, my enjoyment of that show (in this case) isn't and wouldn't be congruent with its quality.

So, by quality, are you referring to action, sound, and animation? That's what I'm assuming, because stuff lilke music, characters, concept, story, and enjoyment, as well as several other aspects of different series, are all things which I consider to be based on ones personal preferrence, in terms of the quality which they see in it. Technical stuff is what I would consider quality. So, if that's what you mean, then I consider stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, Death Note, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, and at least a few other anime, to be equal in quality to Samurai Champloo, if we are only talking about the technical stuff here.

HittakiMikaichi
Mine...mine..:

1.Bleach
2.Shigofumi
3.Hayate no Gotoku
4.Clannad
5.The Law of Ueki (and the 'plus' too..)
6.Shugo Chara!
7.Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
8.Death Note
9.Meitantei Conan
10.Minami-ke

Edoji
I'm a big fan of romantic/fantasy/comedy/adventure anime. Mostly anything with some kind of romance can keep me entertained ._.

Making a list from most favorite to least favorite was hard, but here it is!

1. Zero no Tsukaima
2. Shakugan no Shana
3. Chobits
4. Elfen Lied
5. Clannad
6. Black Cat
7. Claymore
8. Kiba
9. Kamisama Kazoku
10. Air Gear

Currently watching Shugo Chara, it's pretty interesting too.

leonheartmm
in series

rurourni kenshin
naruto
inuyasha
rahxephon
neon genesis evangelion
crono crusade
fullmetal alchemist
cowboy bebop
trigun
wolf's rain
noir

in movies

mononoke hime
cowboy bebop the movie
castle in the sky
grave of the fireflies
the prince of the sun
the death of evangelion
akira
spirited away
the vision of escaflowne
jin roh

ensatsu-ken
My list has changed by a noticeable amount since my original post. Anyways, here is my updated list, and the scores that I would give for each anime on my list:

1. Cowboy Bebop (9.8/10)
2. Yu Yu Hakusho (9.7/10)
3. Death Note (9.5/10)
4. Outlaw Star (9.5/10)
5. Hunter X Hunter (9.5/10)
6. FullMetal Alchemist (9/10)
7. Full Metal Panic! (9/10)
8. Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force (9/10)
9. Hellsing Ultimate (8.5/10)
10. Black Lagoon (8.5/10)

geshien
in no particular order...

Serial Experiments: Lain
GTO
Hellsing
Akira
Galaxy Express 999
Cowboy Bebop
Naruto
Guyver
Ghost in the Shell
Gravitation
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Berserk

Allankles
So, by quality, are you referring to action, sound, and animation? That's what I'm assuming, because stuff lilke music, characters, concept, story, and enjoyment, as well as several other aspects of different series, are all things which I consider to be based on ones personal preferrence, in terms of the quality which they see in it. Technical stuff is what I would consider quality. So, if that's what you mean, then I consider stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, Death Note, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, and at least a few other anime, to be equal in quality to Samurai Champloo, if we are only talking about the technical stuff here.

Character can also be analyzed using standardized criteria. You can analyze the layers of the character, their motivations, their personalities, and how those personalities react and evolve to certain situations.

Most animes fall far behind Champloo in how they present character progression and character depth.

Analyzing a concept can only be subjective, as that has entirely to do with your preference for style, and the creators/directors vision. A concept is really only portrayed successfully or not, according the creators viewpoint - unless of course that viewpoint is made clear to the critic.

As far as story is concerned that is also tied to the concept of the series. In Champloo's case it less about a continuous, active overarching story arch (although there is one) and more about compelling sub plots.

Every episode is its own "series" which makes every encounter, every supporting character that more compelling because they are treated like characters in a movie rather than a series. Every plot starts and finishes at the end of an episode, there's no thread leading to some other filler episode, or some prolonged and overdrawn plot resolution, the plot starts and ends in one episode. For most episodes anyway I'm aware there were some two part episodes towards the end and a couple in the middle.

Champloo was a brilliant series. I've watched plenty good animes (Wolf's Rain, Ergo Proxy, Black Lagoon, Record of Lodoss War Ova, Berserk etc) but Champloo is definitely at the top of the list as far as anime series go.

lockerom
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Noir
Gungrave
Kenshin
Welcome to the NHK
Berserk
Rahxephon
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien

En Sabah Nur X
Serial experiments lain|Rozen Maiden =tie
Chrono trigger animated series(not yet brought into this plane of existence probably a few years away...)
Higurashi 1+2| Berserk = tie
Nadessico
Raxephon|Evangelion = tie
Record of Lodoss war
Kenshin|fist of the northstar = tie
ERGO PROXY|.hack// = tie
Kiddy Grade|Elfen Lied = tie
Naruto|bleach|one piece|dragon ball|yugioh|scrapped princess = tie

there are others but those came of the top of my head/

Yeah using 'tie'. is cheating but that is my way!

End of Line

Honorable mention

Gundams, death note, code geass, crest|banner of the stars, full metal panic, haruhi, final fantasy animes

Pyron_Express
Hellsing OVA
Digimon
Soul Taker
Karas
Birdy the Might Decode
Heroic Age
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
YYH

Movies:
Akira
Digital Monster X-Evolution
Digimon Adventure: Our War Game
Princess Mononoke
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Ghost in the Shell
Spirited Away
Pokemon: The First Movie
Yu Yu Hakusho: The Movie Poltergeist Report
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen

Yoshi Paradise
Here's the list of my top 10 anime, but they aren't in order.

Goodbye, Mr. Despair
Naruto
Tokyo Mew Mew
Sailor Moon
Case Closed
Blue Dragon
Digimon
Dragon Ball Z
Pokemon
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Terror of Death
My list:
1. Yu Yu Hakusho
2. Inuyasha
3. Rurouni Kenshin
4. Fullmetal Alchemist
5. Death Note
6. Zatch Bell
7. .hack//Sign
8. Gantz
9. Naruto
10. Dragonball Z

occultdestroyer
Death Note
AIR
Soltyrei
Clannad
Dragonball Z and GT
The Law of Ueki
Full Metal Panic
Fushigi Yuugi
Grave of the Fireflies

spidermanrocks
well i dnot have a top 10 anime yet but i have a top 3 anime:

1) One Piece
2) Yu Yu Hakusho
3) Naruto and Naruto: Shippuden

i will think about the rest later.

MizuRyu
1. Gundam Wing
2. Avatar The Last Air Bender
3. Dragon Ball Z
4. Naruto

Yoshi Paradise
Originally posted by Yoshi Paradise
Here's the list of my top 10 anime, but they aren't in order.

Goodbye, Mr. Despair
Naruto
Tokyo Mew Mew
Sailor Moon
Case Closed
Azumanga Daioh
Digimon
Dragon Ball Z
Pokemon

I made a change to my list.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.