Peru Meteor causes Illness

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok
Everyone probably heard about this on the news, but theres still some discussion about it. About what actually hit the earth, why the people became sick etc.

Quote from news

"Hundreds of people in Peru have needed treatment after an object from space - said to be a meteorite - plummeted to Earth in a remote area, officials say. They say the object left a deep crater after crashing down over the weekend near the town of Carancas in the Andes.

In order to blast a 30-meter crater, a meteorite would have to hit the ground with about as much energy as 0.1-to-1 kiloton of TNT--akin to a tactical nuclear weapon. This should leave a clear signal in worldwide seismic and infrasound records, but so far no such signals are being reported by authorities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7001897.stm
http://www.spaceweather.com/
http://visz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?cid=13424&cat=dis&lang=eng

Kelly_Bean
A large rockhard piece of shit infested with aids, probably.

inimalist
http://www.livescience.com/space/scienceastronomy/070919_peru_meteorite.html

Scientists Doubt Meteorite Sickened Peruvians

Scientists doubt that the supposed meteorite strike that sickened some 200 residents of Peru last weekend actually involved anything from space.

Based on reports of fumes emanating from the crater, some scientists actually suspect that the event could have been some kind of geyser-like explosion rather than a meteorite impact.

"Statistically, it's far more likely to have come from below than from above," said Don Yeomans, head of the Near Earth Object Program at NASA'S Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

The noxious fumes that have supposedly sickened curious locals who went to examine the crater would seem to indicate hydrothermal activity, such as a local gas explosion, because "meteorites don't give off odors," Yeomans told SPACE.com.

A spokesperson at the Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Mass., who was asked for comment on the purported Peruvian space rock said the Center's scientists "don't want to talk about that. They have nothing to do with it."

Skepticism warranted

Several times in recent history, reports of meteorite impacts have turned out to be untrue after scientific examination. Doubt in the scientific community was as rampant today as the speculations out of Peru.

Details surrounding the incident are also increasing experts' skepticism.

"Many of the reported features of the crater ("boiling water," sulphurous fumes, etc.) point to a geological mechanism of the crater formation," wrote Benny Peiser, a social anthropologist at John Moores University, in a daily newsletter that catalogues research and media coverage of space rock impacts and other threats to humanity. "I would not be surprised if, after careful analysis, the alleged meteorite impact reveals itself to be just another 'meteorwrong.'"

It's not impossible that the crater was left by a meteorite, Yeomans said, but it most likely was a small object, based on the size of the crater. It would also probably have been a metal meteorite, because those are the only kind of small meteorites that don't burn up as they plummet through Earth's atmosphere, he added. Small stony meteorites rarely make it to the surface.

A couple features of the event reports suggest there was a space rock involved, said geophysicist Larry Grossman of the University of Chicago. The bright streak of light and loud bangs seen and heard by locals are consistent with a meteor streaking through Earth's atmosphere, he said. Most meteors do burn up, never becoming meteorites (which is what they're called if they reach the surface).

Because no one actually saw anything impact at the crater site, it's hard to say whether a space rock was involved because they are often deceptive as to where they will land. Many times, people swear a meteor landed nearby when in fact it was so far away that it dipped below the local horizon but never actually struck the ground.

"Sometimes these things land hundreds of thousands of miles away from where think they will land," Grossman said.

Investigation needed

Pictures of the crater show that the hole in the ground appears fresh, Grossman said, and the debris strewn around it is consistent with a meteorite impact but also could have been caused by digging.

And there are no previous reports of noxious fumes emanating from meteorite remnants or their craters, he said.

"If the noxious fumes came from the hole, it wasn't because the meteorite fell there," Grossman said, saying they would like have come from something already in the ground.

Grossman said that to determine whether the crater was made by a meteorite, the water in the hole must be pumped out and any large chunks of rock at the bottom should be examined to see if they are consistent with meteoritic composition.

Peruvian geologists are on their way to examine the crater, according to news reports.

Bicnarok

FistOfThe North
Profound. Sounds like something outta the movies. "Creepshow" had a movie that dealt with meteorite that cracked, infecting locals. They all started growing moss and grass on their skin until the entire town was covered with the growth. Stephen King was the main character, a farmer, and he blew his brains out with a shotgun cause the growth completely covered his entire body and mouth. Ultimately he ended up in agony looking like a big green mossy furball. It was disgusting.

Creepy sh*t.

Robtard
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Profound. Sounds like something outta the movies. "Creepshow" had a movie that dealt with meteorite that cracked, infecting locals. They all started growing moss and grass on their skin until the entire town was covered with the growth. Stephen King was the main character, a farmer, and he blew his brains out with a shotgun cause the growth completely covered his entire body and mouth. Ultimately he ended up in agony looking like a big green mossy furball. It was disgusting.

Creepy sh*t.

On a positive note, King and the other chracters were mostly, if not all White. Sticking it to Whitey, I like your style FoTN.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Robtard
On a positive note, King and the other chracters were mostly, if not all White. Sticking it to Whitey, I like your style FoTN.

For it was God whom sent the meteor from space to destroy the devils!

Just jokin' but you honestly believe I hate White people. If that were the case, why am I not bothered or feel uncomfortable by all my white colleagues/friends here at work right now. We all get along perfectly fine. In fact 2 of them invited me to a happy hour. (hope i see some hot chicks) but I don't look at 'em as my White office buddies but as dudes i hang out with. So you can stop with it already. I'm not a racist.

smoker4

Just jokin' but you honestly believe I hate White people. If that were the case, why am I not bothered or feel uncomfortable by all my white colleagues/friends here at work right now. We all get along perfectly fine. In fact 2 of them invited me to a happy hour. (hope i see some hot chicks) but I don't look at 'em as my White office buddies but as dudes i hang out with. So you can stop with it already. I'm not a racist.

Never mind the hot chicks, just watch out for the hot wooden crosses.

Robtard

Nice, N.O.I. thinking, I like.

Hate is a strong word... I can't say hate for certain, but you definitely have a very negative view of "Whites" and judge them as a whole based on nothing more than skin color, which is racism, no other way around that.

Good luck on the "Hot Chics", score yourself a White-Woman, that should stick it to "Whitey". <--- a joke.

FistOfThe North
Nice, N.O.I. thinking, I like.

Hate is a strong word... I can't say hate for certain, but you definitely have a very negative view of "Whites" and judge them as a whole based on nothing more than skin color, which is racism, no other way around that.

Good luck on the "Hot Chics", score yourself a White-Woman, that should stick it to "Whitey". <--- a joke.

hehe. I see you got jokes too, hu..Oh and I think Farrakhan's a nut, by the way but no, I certainly do not hate White people. My views seem as if i'm painting with a broad brush but it's racist people whom I'm clearly condemning when i say what I say.. Not Whites.

BackFire
Zombies are next!

JacopeX
Terrible year for Peru along the lines of enviromental and resource problems. Now health wise, we are ****ed. sad

grey fox
Originally posted by BackFire
Zombies are next!

Wouldn't be surprised, they'll need to start shipping these all across Peru.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/08/incaseofzombies.jpg

Rogue Jedi
Zombies are next! if so....rapid fire or 12 gauge?

BackFire
baseball bat, my friend.

Blunt weapons are best, don't gotta rely on ammo.

Rogue Jedi
baseball bat, my friend.

Blunt weapons are best, don't gotta rely on ammo. baseball bat over a machete, or even a katana?

I say MP5 as my primary weapon, two beretta 92f's, and a katana as my backup...and LOTS OF GRENADES.

BackFire
I don't have a katana.

I do however have a Machete that my dad saved from 'Nam. That would be good.

Though of course, always the chance of hitting yourself with one of those blades.

I'd prefer to get up close and personal. No guns, maybe a couple of handguns.

And a shower head for good measure.

Rogue Jedi
I don't have a katana.

I do however have a Machete that my dad saved from 'Nam. That would be good.

Though of course, always the chance of hitting yourself with one of those blades.

I'd prefer to get up close and personal. No guns, maybe a couple of handguns.

And a shower head for good measure. so it has to be weapons we have access to? hmmm....

then I would say a MINI 14 assault rifle, two glock .45's, and a machete.

my old man has a frigging Arsenal, and I know the code to his gun safe.

grey fox
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
so it has to be weapons we have access to? hmmm....

then I would say a MINI 14 assault rifle, two glock .45's, and a machete.

my old man has a frigging Arsenal, and I know the code to his gun safe.

Considering the sheer anti-gun stigma in my country it's only blunt weapons for me. A shovel can be deadly in the hands of an imaginative person however....

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by grey fox
Considering the sheer anti-gun stigma in my country it's only blunt weapons for me. A shovel can be deadly in the hands of an imaginative person however.... well, if it he shit hits the fan, I will come and rescue you, m'K?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Everyone probably heard about this on the news, but theres still some discussion about it. About what actually hit the earth, why the people became sick etc.

Quote from news

"Hundreds of people in Peru have needed treatment after an object from space - said to be a meteorite - plummeted to Earth in a remote area, officials say. They say the object left a deep crater after crashing down over the weekend near the town of Carancas in the Andes.

In order to blast a 30-meter crater, a meteorite would have to hit the ground with about as much energy as 0.1-to-1 kiloton of TNT--akin to a tactical nuclear weapon. This should leave a clear signal in worldwide seismic and infrasound records, but so far no such signals are being reported by authorities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7001897.stm
http://www.spaceweather.com/
http://visz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?cid=13424&cat=dis&lang=eng

Has anyone ever read The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crighton? (Same author as Jurassic Park and Congo) It's about a satelite that falls from space into a small Arizona town, and it carries a microscopic parasitic alien that wipes out 98% of the people. That's what this reminds me of.

Bicnarok

Sadako of Girth
Kinda reminds me of something else.....

Things crashing from space, an investigation is launched, reports of the meteorites carrying something in them that threaten our way of life, thousands of people a strong feeling of nausea and sickness, and the same questioning of life and similar fears for the future.......

Oh yeah. I was thinking of that weekend in July that Transformers 2007 came out.

Czarina_Czarina
thought about this, and i also read it somewhere else(wasn't the only one thinking this way), this toxic fume may have something to do with space debris.

uhm...maybe the meteorite hit space trash on its decent, tagging along some chemical that reacted to heat/fire experienced b4 cooling down.

Robtard
Originally posted by Czarina_Czarina
thought about this, and i also read it somewhere else(wasn't the only one thinking this way), this toxic fume may have something to do with space debris.

uhm...maybe the meteorite hit space trash on its decent, tagging along some chemical that reacted to heat/fire experienced b4 cooling down.

LoLiez... space trash.

Shakyamunison
Lol... space trash.

Space trash? Like the International Space Station? laughing

WrathfulDwarf
Any of you ever seen the movie Creepshow? Well, there is the story in which a farmer finds a meteor and cracks it open and this greenish liquid is release....to make long story short...the planet gets infested with green stuff.

Creepy if this were similar....what are the odds?

Edit note- FistOfThe North saw it too. big grin

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Space trash? Like the International Space Station? laughing

http://orbitaldebris.jsc.nasa.gov/

yeah, nothing like a debri running into a satillite, talk about dodging traffic accidents on its circuit around the earth....let alone the debri running into a meteorite....or the meteorite pushing it's way thru debri/sat traffic jams...

the stuff on the top is from the Russians..."object population" (GEO sat. or maybe debri)

http://orbitaldebris.jsc.nasa.gov/photogallery/beehives/th_geo_equatorial.jpg

Czarina_Czarina
i ran out of time 2 edit...

"This is the main propellant tank of the second stage of a Delta 2 launch vehicle which landed near Georgetown, TX, on 22 January 1997. This approximately 250 kg tank is primarily a stainless steel structure and survived reentry relatively intact"

http://orbitaldebris.jsc.nasa.gov/reentry/images/DeltaInTexas_small.jpg
250kg = apx 550 lbs

"Another Delta 2 second stage reentered on 27 April 2000 over South Africa. In this incident, three objects were recovered along a path nearly 100 km long: the main stainless steel propellant tank, a titanium pressurant tank, and a portion of the main engine nozzle assembly."

http://orbitaldebris.jsc.nasa.gov/reentry/images/sAfrica_small.jpg

(see link in above post)

"For the minority which do survive in whole or in part, most fall harmlessly into the oceans or onto sparsely populated regions"

They know when this stuff (man made or natural debri) is coming down...space is 24 hour surveillance...we can predict and we have "outside" eyes or sats (satellites) looking outward as well as pointing toward earth...so we have lots of data.

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by JacopeX
Terrible year for Peru along the lines of enviromental and resource problems. Now health wise, we are ****ed. sad

I know (I almost missed this comment).

Sorry if I've been online for so long...I had a life...an inappropriate crush (which kept me away from the Internet, trust me, nothing ever happened) and I had a career in a company that I wanted to be in since grade school (which I lost, so after the lose of the crush, I was online ALOT for months and months, and after the lose of the job - I am felt feeling w/o my heart's content in my career, I really am at a lose with two very important aspects of my life, so, instead, over the past 6 months after the crush was def. inappropriate - I had to keep my mind busy, and after my fav job was lost, I lost both, dbl reasons 2 drown myself in think'g about something else... so, I've been online/message boards...the worse things became, the more I would drown myself in reading and posting)...If I had my life back, I wouldn't even have the time to write or comment, but I lost true passions in my life, one was inappropriate and the other was a childhood desire...so, that's why you see me a lot, and that's why you have seen me at all over the past 4-6 months).

Bicnarok
Yeh the way its going the Earth will look like Saturn with a ring of crap around it.

The difference between space trash and Meteors is Meteors tend to travel rather fast, Mach +

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Yeh the way its going the Earth will look like Saturn with a ring of crap around it.

The difference between space trash and Meteors is Meteors tend to travel rather fast, Mach +

(I doubt this topic was what caused the other thread, it could have, but I doubt it)...

Either way, we still have agencies that monitor and can predict meteorites and astroids...

Sadako of Girth
Sometimes. Its a huge sky to watch.

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Sometimes. Its a huge sky to watch.

yeah, that could have happened in the 15 coffee breaks tabletalk ...looking at the monitor after stuffing food into mouth bored ..." OPS"... confused , "yeah guys, the screen reads that a meteorite just passed by?" stretcher

Sadako of Girth
Well when coffee isn't responsible, its likely to be that all directions are hard to track definitively 24/7, due to night/day, only x amount of decent tracking/monitoring hardware in use around the world etc.*

That damned coffee should be blamed, though. stick out tongue
I never could drink that stuff. Uuuuuuurrrrrrrrrgh.

*It could also be that we just didn't get Bruce Willis up there quick enough this time.

Bicnarok

inimalist
Anything world killer size we SHOULD be able to spot at least 20 years off

but ya, there is a lot of space

I really doubt this was a meteo, though I haven't seen any followup reports...

grey fox
Originally posted by inimalist
Anything world killer size we SHOULD be able to spot at least 20 years off

but ya, there is a lot of space

I really doubt this was a meteo, though I haven't seen any followup reports...

Then what ? Do we nuke it out of the sky , or just sit back and relax ?

inimalist
Originally posted by grey fox
Then what ? Do we nuke it out of the sky , or just sit back and relax ?

As of now, there is pretty much nothing we could do

LOL, man needs to conquer man before it can get to nature apparently

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by inimalist
As of now, there is pretty much nothing we could do

LOL, man needs to conquer man before it can get to nature apparently

you think a metorite was just sent on it's own? maybe advanced man is up there in space and throwing them down here, you never know...we advance in technology faster then in our spiritual-love of humanity.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.