Comic Store Etiquette?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AcousticDoc
Is it rude of me to go to the comic store and read books for free? I am saving so much money by doing this the past few months.

llagrok
I believe that's illegal.

Soljer
I dunno the actual law regarding the subject, but I believe many stores have a specific policy against it.

However, they usually have the new released wrapped, and only the older comics just open and out.

I know the guy at my shop, so he doesn't mind if I 'try before I buy' so to speak.

And I know a lot of bookstores sell comics - and places like Barnes and Nobles are almost centered around setting up an environment to read IN-STORE.

Meh.

WrathfulDwarf
It bothers me...but if the store owner doesn't mind...then..whatever. A part of the reason why I comic books is to collect them. Readers don't have to buy.

pr1983
Originally posted by Soljer
I dunno the actual law regarding the subject, but I believe many stores have a specific policy against it.

However, they usually have the new released wrapped, and only the older comics just open and out.

I know the guy at my shop, so he doesn't mind if I 'try before I buy' so to speak.

And I know a lot of bookstores sell comics - and places like Barnes and Nobles are almost centered around setting up an environment to read IN-STORE.

Meh.

they wrap them? really?

the one i used to go to, they just had a shelf for the new stuff, and you could brwose all you like... i've seen plenty of people stand around reading...

gets in the way though...

Ranger Smith
Originally posted by pr1983
they wrap them? really?

the one i used to go to, they just had a shelf for the new stuff, and you could brwose all you like... i've seen plenty of people stand around reading...

Yup, you have descrbed a U.K. comic outlet beautifully.

willRules
I can understand completely why it would be bad for business and would be fine with a no reading policy, but it's a nicer atmosphere if you are allowed a chance to properly browse through the comics. Plus it makes the company seem slightly more informal and friendlier, it's good publicity sometimes yes

Darth Vicious
The one I go to is the same way. New stuff has its own shelf and the are not wrapped. I dont read the whole thing but usually a few pages. I still buy what I read.

Badabing
I have good rapport with the people at my comic store but I always ask before I read through new comics.

Soljer
Originally posted by pr1983
they wrap them? really?

Maybe it's just at my place? I thought most new releases came in little sealed baggies....

Meh?

pr1983
Maybe it's just at my place? I thought most new releases came in little sealed baggies....

Meh?

not at the one i went to... out of the box, onto the shelf... no wrapping or nothing...

AcousticDoc
Yea the place I go to doesn't have new issues in wrap! It's sweet, it's like two blocks away from my college and I just go there to read on my hour break between classes sometimes. I do feel kind of guilty...but what else can I do now that Darth Viscious has stopped posting complete comics online!?

SnazzySmurph

Meh? I've seen it, but mostly only with the really popular stuff.

Kurash
i normally dont ever read the entire comic when i check them out at the store, but sometimes when i have no money ill just skim through and get the just of what happens, unless im at barnes and nobels like soljer said and i read the hell out of em

grey fox
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
It bothers me...but if the store owner doesn't mind...then..whatever. A part of the reason why I comic books is to collect them. Readers don't have to buy.

Agree

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.