Top 10

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lando005
most importaint comic characters of all time. This is to rank the mos infuantial comic characters ever. Not the most iconic

masterbruce
top 5:

Superman

Batman

Spiderman

Hulk

Spawn

tjcoady
Originally posted by lando005
most importaint comic characters of all time. This is to rank the mos infuantial comic characters ever. Not the most iconic

Iconic and influential are pretty much the same thing in the comic book world... but here goes:

Superman
Batman
Captain America
Spiderman
The Fantastic Four (whole team)
The Phantom Lady (her comics pretty much created the whole "seduction of the innocent thing, plus she was one of the first female comic book characters)

hm. are we limiting this just to superhero comics or to comics in general?

pr1983
The X-Men need to be on any list...

oh, and moving, though i'm not sure digi'll leave it open for long...

Innerhype
"Billionaire industrialist and philanthropist Tony Stark is perhaps the most influential superpowered individual on the plant. While Professor X has the respect of Earth's mutant community, Stark's work as Iron Man, his long-term membership of the Avengers, and position as head of Stark Internatonal arguably gives him even wider authority."

Soljer
Any list that doesn't include Superman, Spiderman, and Batman is just plain wrong.

There aren't more influential characters than these.

Kurash
Superman
Spiderman
Batman
Captain America
X-men
Fantastic Four
Captain Marvel
Wonder Woman
Flash
The Punisher

SnazzySmurph
Originally posted by Soljer
Any list that doesn't include Superman, Spiderman, and Batman is just plain wrong.

There aren't more influential characters than these. Or Wonder Woman.

Without her, we'd probably have none of these characters

pr1983
Originally posted by SnazzySmurph
Or Wonder Woman.

Without her, we'd probably have none of these characters

laughing out loud

all ww needs is a good- actually, i shouldnt finish that...

SnazzySmurph
Originally posted by pr1983
laughing out loud

all ww needs is a good- actually, i shouldnt finish that... I'm guessing you weren't going to say a strong, female hand? 313

Soljer
And exactly how did Wonder Woman lead to the creation of Apollo and Midnighter?

You realize what the G in LGBT stands for, right?

pr1983
I'm guessing you weren't going to say a strong, female hand? 313

laughing

SnazzySmurph
And exactly how did Wonder Woman lead to the creation of Apollo and Midnighter?

You realize what the G in LGBT stands for, right? You realize my link leads straight to the "Lesbian Characters"? no expression

Soljer
You realize my link leads straight to the "Lesbian Characters"? no expression

Regardless of where it starts ON the page, the page itself is still LGBT characters.....

I get the joke, don't get me wrong.

I just tend to be a smart ass. smile.

SnazzySmurph
Regardless of where it starts ON the page, the page itself is still LGBT characters.....

I get the joke, don't get me wrong.

I just tend to be a smart ass. smile. furious

No, you tend to scroll up the page, when given a perfectly good, section-specific link, and not be the average, easy-going chump who is joke-capable.

Be more like Pr.

EDIT: Also, are you competeing in the Battle Zone?

Do it!

lando005
Originally posted by pr1983
The X-Men need to be on any list...

oh, and moving, though i'm not sure digi'll leave it open for long... none of the x-men save for maybe storm and xavier would deserve a right to be on this list

1. superman
2. spider-man
3. batman
4. captain america
5. wonder woman
6. black panther
7. storm
8. xavier
others

Soljer
none of the x-men save for maybe storm and xavier would deserve a right to be on this list

1. superman
2. spider-man
3. batman
4. captain america
5. wonder woman
6. black panther
7. storm
8. xavier
others

Wolverine and Cyclops (and the relationship between the two characters) was quite a bit more influential to the industry than Storm ever was or will be. erm.

Apolloknight
Is this judging the most influence from one comic character affecting others?

Endless Mike
Popeye

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popeye#Cultural_origins_and_impact

lando005
Wolverine and Cyclops (and the relationship between the two characters) was quite a bit more influential to the industry than Storm ever was or will be. erm. neither one of them had an effect on the comic industry as say like superman or spider-man did. Atleast storm is the most endearing black female comic book superhero she's way more important that the other x men in that regard. That's what this top ten is about

Soljer
neither one of them had an effect on the comic industry as say like superman or spider-man did. Atleast storm is the most endearing black female comic book superhero she's way more important that the other x men in that regard. That's what this top ten is about

The thread said it was about influence.

Cyclops' role as 'good guy team leader' and Wolverine's role as 'bad boy rebel loner' and the interaction between them pretty much set the stage for dozens and dozens of teams to come.

That's influence on the industry.

Storm being the most recognized black female superhero really can't compare.

Validus
The X-Men should be listed just like the Fantastic Four and that's as a whole. If there's an exception to made there, its Logan and only Logan.

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Validus
The X-Men should be listed just like the Fantastic Four and that's as a whole. If there's an exception to made there, its Logan and only Logan. Agreed X-men, FF, Spiderman, Superman,Batman, WW should all be there. I think Spawn also needs a place, Although there were several ( adult oriented) comics before Spawn he seemed to bring the whole antihero thing to the mainstream even moreso than characters like the punisher who was still a pretty decent guy all things considered.

lando005
The thread said it was about influence.

Cyclops' role as 'good guy team leader' and Wolverine's role as 'bad boy rebel loner' and the interaction between them pretty much set the stage for dozens and dozens of teams to come.

That's influence on the industry.

Storm being the most recognized black female superhero really can't compare. both of their impacts on the comic industry is minimal at best and wolverine's contribution is worse a rebel loner who's always on a team is an oxymoron if i've ever seen on. Storm is a black female character in a mostly white industry that is far more important than anything those two would ever represent.

SnazzySmurph
both of their impacts on the comic industry is minimal at best and wolverine's contribution is worse a rebel loner who's always on a team is an oxymoron if i've ever seen on. Storm is a black female character in a mostly white industry that is far more important than anything those two would ever represent. You think Storm has influenced the comic industry more than Wolverine? no expression

Soljer
You think Storm has influenced the comic industry more than Wolverine? no expression

Exactly.

Regardless of who YOU may like more, Wolverine has had a MUCH larger influence on the comic industry.

lando005
You think Storm has influenced the comic industry more than Wolverine? no expression yes i do. what has wolverine given that was of any importance compared to the likes of superman and batman? Atleast storm played a major role as an important female black super hero in a mostly white male industry

Endless Mike
Ahem....

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Popeye

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popeye#Cultural_origins_and_impact

Validus
yes i do. what has wolverine given that was of any importance compared to the likes of superman and batman? Atleast storm played a major role as an important female black super hero in a mostly white male industry
Importance =/= Influence

lando005
most importaint comic characters of all time. This is to rank the mos infuantial comic characters ever. Not the most iconic there's not many of her kind i think that's a huge infuance

Validus
there's not many of her kind i think that's a huge infuance
Really? I'd call that being unique.

lando005
Originally posted by Validus
Really? I'd call that being unique. so's batman what's ur point

Battlehammer
lets see.

Logan is what pritty much revolutionized anti hero's.

Logan was the original bad ass loner.

Logan interraction with cyclopes would be copied into other teams for years to come

ect.

Validus
so's batman what's ur point
*face in palms* I'll ignore the fact that you're wrong here.

Seriously though, whats your point? You've named reasons why Storm is important and unique, neither of which have anything to do with influence. Capisce?

lando005
namor was the original bad ass loner not logan

the scope of his impact on comics is insignifigant.

i'll put it this way we the comic world would have done just fine without wolverine or cyclops but it would not have progressed as far without like likes of wonderwoman and storm primaraly because they are female superheros and strom because she is a black superhero and when you look at it there's not that many around in comparison to the white heros so looking at it from that point of view which is what this thread is about she is more important than those two they haven't made the sort of impact that is fundamental for the comic industry

lando005
the change i'm talking about is more dynamic to comics the change wolverine brought was nothing more than a flashy fad

Citizen V
Storm has made no impact on comics, if she was to utterly disappear, I wouldn't be bothered, nor would the comic industry be any less sucessful.

Claremont probably would just have one less character to wank over though.

lando005
Originally posted by Citizen V
Storm has made no impact on comics, if she was to utterly disappear, I wouldn't be bothered, nor would the comic industry be any less sucessful.

Claremont probably would just have one less character to wank over though. so one of the only black female superheros in comic is not an important step in comics to you?

Battlehammer
nope.

thats like saying becuase northstar is gay he had a massive impact on comics...........yet if north star disapeared no one would give a crap

please if wolverine vanish marvel would be screwed

Dreamcatcher
Superman

Batman

Spider-Man

Wonder Woman

Hulk

X-Men

Captain America

Fantastic 4

Everyone, even non comic readers and fans know who the above characters are.

lando005
Originally posted by Battlehammer
nope.

thats like saying becuase northstar is gay he had a massive impact on comics...........yet if north star disapeared no one would give a crap

please if wolverine vanish marvel would be screwed that's exactly what this is about. Northstar coming out as being openly gay was a big step for comics now there are several openly gay characters it's an area comic books never explored before. Same as when spider-man came around he helped change the scope and dymanics of comics at that time. You have to look at the big picture

if wolverine was gone marvel would do just fine because his impact wasn't as important as say spider-man. Maybe he can be in a top 50 list but defiantly not top 10

lando005
Originally posted by Dreamcatcher
Superman

Batman

Spider-Man

Wonder Woman

Hulk

X-Men

Captain America

Fantastic 4

Everyone, even non comic readers and fans know who the above characters are. this isnt about popularity this is about what the characters have done for the industry.

superman
batman
wonderwoman
spider-man
captain america

they are by far some of the most important characters of all time because of what they've done for comics

Endless Mike
Hello?

Popeye.

Battlehammer
that's exactly what this is about. Northstar coming out as being openly gay was a big step for comics now there are several openly gay characters it's an area comic books never explored before. Same as when spider-man came around he helped change the scope and dymanics of comics at that time. You have to look at the big picture

if wolverine was gone marvel would do just fine because his impact wasn't as important as say spider-man. Maybe he can be in a top 50 list but defiantly not top 10
if wolverine had not been created marvel would have ahd a major hit to them...........hell you took Logan way now and marvel would hurt.'

Wolverien revolutionlized the loner, anti hero. They ahd articles about it, That Logan was really the anti-hero slash loner who made what they are now. batman became much darker for example after Logan was created.

I can't even believe your trying to tell me northstar was more improtant then wolverine............or that wolverine would only make top 50 at best..........it pathetic.

I don't even no why I would even have to argue this.............The second top selling character was not important to comics..........get real.

your bias is clearly showing badly here.

SnazzySmurph
if wolverine was gone marvel would do just fine no expression

Martian_mind
Now,Smurf made an interesting choice there,as these smilies would all have sufficed.

dur

durfist

haermm

lando005
if wolverine had not been created marvel would have ahd a major hit to them...........hell you took Logan way now and marvel would hurt.'

Wolverien revolutionlized the loner, anti hero. They ahd articles about it, That Logan was really the anti-hero slash loner who made what they are now. batman became much darker for example after Logan was created.

I can't even believe your trying to tell me northstar was more improtant then wolverine............or that wolverine would only make top 50 at best..........it pathetic.

I don't even no why I would even have to argue this.............The second top selling character was not important to comics..........get real.

your bias is clearly showing badly here. would you stop with your cult like obsession with wolverine for a second and listen to a word i've said. This is not about the popularity of the character. This is about the scope of impact the characters have made, and sorry wanna be bad ass loner doesn't cut it. Yes having a super hero openly come out as being gay is much more progressive and important to comics that smelling bad and having a bad attitude. Batman's credibility was well established well before marvel though of wolverine. Your simply refusing to acknowledge the angle of reasoning i'm coming from. I'm not saying he didnt give anything but in the over all scope of things he does not make the top 10. Spider-man for example was one of the first comic books to deal with issues like drugs for example and the real effects they have on people so in that regard he had a very important impact on comics. That is what i'm talking about with a top 10 as far as important not how well known they are. It's always logan this or logan that with you would you get off his junk for 5 minutes i honestly think your gonna name ur first born logan.

lando005
sorry for the last few comments I said but you can be really obsessive with wolverine. Just try to understand the angle i'm coming from instead of trying to bit my head off for insulting ur god

Battlehammer
I don't think I even need to say anything..........you have said enough to bury your self lando

Battlehammer
I could give reasons, but no matter what I say would not matter because lando has it in his mind that I am some crazy wolverine fan boy........

really no point in debating with some one who will simply ignore what ever you post down becuase they have some screwed up notion about you.

funnyier when they jump to insults then apologies and insult you more.........it pathetic.

northstar was straight.........he would have had the same impact which was nothing............food for thought .

ps: lando I have no respect for you what so ever and if you ever wanna take it to the battle zone be my guest. becuase im dying to put you in your place after all these little insults you been throughing at me.

Endless Mike
Why is everyone ignoring me?

Popeye is at least as influential as Superman or Batman

SnazzySmurph
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Now,Smurf made an interesting choice there,as these smilies would all have sufficed.

dur

durfist

haermm I'd use those for jokes.

The no expression smilie reflects disbelief and makes others feel inadequate.

happy

Evil_Ash
I'd use those for jokes.

The no expression smilie reflects disbelief and makes others feel inadequate.

happy

nonefist

lando005
look it's been a major problem on this forum that posters here don't stop to think about where the other person is coming from with their statements. We're not all going to agree on things that's fine by me i'm not out to change the way you think. But i won't have my point of view brush off like rubbish either. You feel like wolverine gave a lot to comics with the loner attitude fine but from my standpoint i disagree. I feel like characters like spider-man storm and north star have been more progressive for comics and are more important for those reasons. If it wasn't for the changes those characters made comics would be much more static than they are now.

Battlehammer
batman was supose to be the oriignal bad ass anti- hero, but really he was not. He was pritty melow back in the day.

Punisher was really the first anti-hero but he was more of almost a bad guy. however his lack in popularity effected his impact.

Logan came around shortly after and his popularity allowed for the redifining of anti-heros. people like batman became much darker characters. More anti-heros poped up and so forth.

lando005
batman was supose to be the oriignal bad ass anti- hero, but really he was not. He was pritty melow back in the day.

Punisher was really the first anti-hero but he was more of almost a bad guy. however his lack in popularity effected his impact.

Logan came around shortly after and his popularity allowed for the redifining of anti-heros. people like batman became much darker characters. More anti-heros poped up and so forth. some would say namor was the first anti hero. I know developing the anti hero was important, i just don't feel it's more important then the hero's love interest being killed off, or a hero dealing with drug issues in their comics. The type of change that having a gay hero has is on a larger scope than that of the anti hero because it progressed the relate ability of comics to their readers more.

Battlehammer
but see those things are not that important.

gays in comics are sorta of important..........but not really.

since the x- men was actaully a symbol for gay apression.

a lot of super hero teams stand for something in the real world.

also Logans had far more love interest cut off then spiderman.

Not to mention Logans character is really the first character that dealt with rape.

to the comic world the anti hero was one of the biggest impacts

lando005
but see those things are not that important.

gays in comics are sorta of important..........but not really.

since the x- men was actaully a symbol for gay apression.

a lot of super hero teams stand for something in the real world.

also Logans had far more love interest cut off then spiderman.

Not to mention Logans character is really the first character that dealt with rape.

to the comic world the anti hero was one of the biggest impacts The thing is until spider-man comics never really touched the issues of drugs and the hero's love intreset would not have been killed. Those kinds of events moved us away from the silver age of comics and set the stage for more daring things like the anti hero and so forth. Until the whole north star thing comics never really touched the issue of gays and bis in comics. Thus that change helped further comics again. Again with storm a black female hero is in contrast to the majority of characters in comics. Those are the types of changes i'm looking at. The anti hero changed the tone of comics and because of this they are much more vicious than they once were but the spectrum appeal of comics was not progress that much it was mostly a style change not a concept change

Battlehammer
Logan character was really the first character who touch on rape.

also the gay thing kinda loses merit when the x-men sybolized gay a pression

lando005
Logan character was really the first character who touch on rape.

also the gay thing kinda loses merit when the x-men sybolized gay a pression the xmen could have been seen as a representation of any group that is chastised but sexuality itself was not openly handled in comics till that time

that's what i like about marvel they are much more progressive in that tone

Big Sexy
The thing is until spider-man comics never really touched the issues of drugs and the hero's love intreset would not have been killed. Those kinds of events moved us away from the silver age of comics and set the stage for more daring things like the anti hero and so forth. Until the whole north star thing comics never really touched the issue of gays and bis in comics. Thus that change helped further comics again. Again with storm a black female hero is in contrast to the majority of characters in comics. Those are the types of changes i'm looking at. The anti hero changed the tone of comics and because of this they are much more vicious than they once were but the spectrum appeal of comics was not progress that much it was mostly a style change not a concept change And 19 out of twenty people don't know who northstar is, if that.

lando005
Originally posted by Big Sexy
And 19 out of twenty people don't know who northstar is, if that. we're not talking about how popular they are the change made is the important thing.

Joseph_Kerr
I would throw in Green Arrow since DC used Green Arrow to deal with political and social injustice (drug use, prostitution, HIV). At the time Green Arrow was dealing with these issues, no other comice book/character was addressing these issues.

I want to also add Gaiman's Sandman and Moore's Swamp Thing, but they may be more personal than universal influence.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.