Topic Killers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Schecter
first off, let all the self-crucifying members know that this thread isnt intended to single them out and/or hilight their actions. its just a matter of my own curiosity on the condition of the internets, and the tolerances of the average forum goer. while you may think this is aimed at you, im sorry to say that you are one of countless topic killers who plague forums. not my problem, and not the topic, so shift the drama elsewhere please. to all who say "i know who does that", im sure you do, and i do as well, but to mention names would cause pissing and crying and the eventual thread closure. then i will be sad since my curiosity will go unquenched.

so, no names and no crying, please.

and now....the topic/question/poll:

lets say that hypothetically you have no choice but to put up with one of these two elements within a discussion which interests you. which would it be?

the flame warrior?

or the parrot?

certain members cant help but flame eachother, like two roosters in a coop, and at the same time we've all been routinely annoyed by topic parrots who simply repeat the same fallacies over and over...polishing and reselling the same turd so to speak. they wont read what you plea for them to read. they will not listen to your appeals for reason. they are simply here to talk at you instead of with you.

personally i think the topic parrot is a far more destructive element in a conversation since people seem obsessed with engaging them in a serious discussion with hopes of them actually reading & replying as opposed to cherry-picking and dodging. where flame wars can consume a couple of pages, ive seen parrot-ranters consume tens of pages, posting the same desperate leaps of logic over and over, and unlike flame wars they actually manage to level topics utterly, while people seem to be able to adapt and converse around/avoid a flame war.

on the other hand flame wars are distracting in that many are amused by them and often allow the topic to divert to it. often assessments will be made by random members of ownage and failure. after all, who doesnt like to gather around a good fisticuff?

its clear that typical forum policy is to condemn flame wars and rarely have i seen parrots given any sort of repremendation, even though they too are killing a topic. but this thread is not a questioning of any forum policy. its just a simple question to all.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
It depends. On occasions, I find the parrots' utter inability to listen to reason to be so infuriating that I have to step away from the keyboard rather than continue writing (the Internet is srs bsns, you see).

The flame warriors, I think, can at least have intelligent, albeit heated, discussions. However, I believe--sans any sort of empirical evidence--that they will inevitably break the topic simply because of the name-calling.

I think the reason that the flame warriors are condemned while the parrots are overlooked is because the flame warriors are overtly destructive; the parrots, on the otherhand, are more like semi-sentient termites.

Secretus
I'll take the "parrots for 100", Alex.

botankus
It was early this morning when I voted and I accidentally picked "Flame Warrior." I don't really have a problem with parrots because I try not to throw heart and soul into any one particular thread, plus the ones that do realize how dumb the parrot looks anyway.

Symmetric Chaos
Flame warriors aren't nearly as bad. Most people have an easier time ignoring them and they're amusing sometimes.

botankus
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Flame warriors aren't nearly as bad. Most people have an easier time ignoring them and they're amusing sometimes.

Yeah, but they're blantantly annoying and persistant. At least parrots are subtly annoying and persistant.

debbiejo
Parrots are annoying.

Schecter
Originally posted by botankus
It was early this morning when I voted and I accidentally picked "Flame Warrior." I don't really have a problem with parrots because I try not to throw heart and soul into any one particular thread, plus the ones that do realize how dumb the parrot looks anyway.

you dont get to vote. in fact i dont think you've ever typed a serious post outside of the brittany thread. stick out tongue

i was going to make the third option "football fans who interject their favorite sport into topics"

botankus
Originally posted by Schecter
you dont get to vote. in fact i dont think you've ever typed a serious post outside of the brittany thread. stick out tongue

laughing out loud
i was going to make the third option "football fans who interject their favorite sport into topics"
If that's the case, I will only vote against "Squawkers who jump into the Britney and NFL thread and try to talk about Ms. Spears' mid-life crises and the New Orleans Saints comeback after Hurricane Katrina."

botankus

laughing out loud
If that's the case, I will only vote against "Squawkers who jump into the Britney thread and NFL threads and try to talk about Ms. Spears' mid-life crises and how the Saints used Hurricane Katrina to catapult them to the NFC Championship game."

ADarksideJedi
It is a public forum so pretty much anyone c ould put wht they want.So topic kellers as you say are a matter of people's choice saying it is a waste of a thread.
Not everyone may argee with you.jm

botankus
Topic killed. rip 9/21/07 - 9/21/07 rip1

Schecter
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
It is a public forum so pretty much anyone c ould put wht they want.So topic kellers as you say are a matter of people's choice saying it is a waste of a thread.

pokey

flaming is against common forum policy. so you are at least half wrong.

Bardock42
The parrots, as defined by PVS.

The Grey Fox
and now....the topic/question/poll:

lets say that hypothetically you have no choice but to put up with one of these two elements within a discussion which interests you. which would it be?

the flame warrior?

or the parrot?

I'm going with the Flame Warrior I think. There was one on yesterday, he was fairly funny in a moronic way.

smoker4
I'd rather put up with flame warriors, they do provide the occasional, lol and rofl, parrots should be sent to bardocks 'holiday' camp.

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi

Still holding out for this being an internetz parody, otherwise i might have an embolism

Alpha Centauri
Flame warrior, easily.

So much easier to tolerate someone who has to insult than someone who just quotes someone else's post and says "Yeah." or "I agree.".

-AC

Robtard
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Flame warrior, easily.

So much easier to tolerate someone who has to insult than someone who just quotes someone else's post and says "Yeah." or "I agree.".

-AC

"I agree."

I'm here all night folks, how's that steak...

debbiejo
I hate little tag a longs that are mean.cry

StyleTime
I find them equally detrimental to a topic's health.

I think the general idiot is worse than both.

Bardock42
I didn't read, I meant Parrots are easily more annoying.

Victor Von Doom
Yeah.

They remind me of a wayward member of a prestigious Star Wars organisation.

InnerRise
Flamers are more annoying. Parrots at least stick to the actual topic and sometimes don't realize what they're doing. Flamers have no redeeming qualities and it's a banable offense.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Bardock42
Originally posted by InnerRise
Flamers are more annoying. Parrots at least stick to the actual topic and sometimes don't realize what they're doing. Flamers have no redeeming qualities and it's a banable offense.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Flamers can stick to the topic, in fact they contribute more to it than parrots. And I think it is no excuse that they might not realize what they are doing, it is still tedious.

lord xyz
Originally posted by botankus
Yeah, but they're blantantly annoying and persistant. At least parrots are subtly annoying and persistant. I find them really funny to watch. Especially with a stupid topic.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Robtard
"I agree."

Robtard, ladies and gentleman, Robtard.

Next up on comedians who can't get work...

-AC

Robtard

-AC

...Alpha Centauri.

Alpha Centauri
You son of a *****.

-AC

smoker4
Oh no an amalgamation

http://www.johnscheepers.com/photos/thumbs/5312.THUMB.jpg

Ozone
no expression

smoker4
Originally posted by Ozone
no expression

no expression vs erm

Fixed for your posting preference pleasures, also the tulip is called a flaming parrot but well done on the scathing smilie

Ozone
I'll take that as a compliment.

Violent2Dope
Parrots are much worse. Flame Warriors are just guys who are frustated over sumthin, whether it's being wrong and in denial, is just an idiot, or is right, but the parrots are being stupid. And I can outflame most people, so they don't bother me. Parrots on the other hand, are annoying, stupid, and actually are capable of getting me to start the flaming(so far only one has, but he was also an arrogant parrot who always thot he was right).

dadudemon
Flame warrior, easily.

-AC

"I agree."

-AC

...Alpha Centauri.

You son of a *****.

-AC

laughing

AC's last response was hilarious...oh man...

Anyway, I put down Parrots as the topic killers because I love a good flame war. In fact, I look forward to them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.