Is this god?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

allofyousuckkk
I am forced to celebrate Yom Kippur this year, even though I have made it clear to my family I don't believe in god. They say that I am disrespectful for having a different belief and have no choice.

I feel like it is going against myself to put my life on hold and not leave the house, when I have much to do. I mean, I have work at 4 tomorrow and the holiday doesnt end until you can see the third star in the sky. How rediculous is that? I'm not gonna skive off of work because my family has a different belief. That makes me look bad at work.

Is this what god is? Would "god" really want me (and countless others) forced into his rediculous holidays we don't believe in? Why should I continue the suffering of people from over 2000 years ago? You don't see African Americans taking a day to pick cotton in remembrance (that wasn't racist, it was directly connected to what I'm saying).

Not to mention the only rule is that I'm allowed to do nothing but walk and read, and use the bathroom (but I can't turn the light on! door needs to stay open)

BananaKing
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
I am forced to celebrate Yom Kippur this year, even though I have made it clear to my family I don't believe in god. They say that I am disrespectful for having a different belief and have no choice.

I feel like it is going against myself to put my life on hold and not leave the house, when I have much to do. I mean, I have work at 4 tomorrow and the holiday doesnt end until you can see the third star in the sky. How rediculous is that? I'm not gonna skive off of work because my family has a different belief. That makes me look bad at work.

Is this what god is? Would "god" really want me (and countless others) forced into his rediculous holidays we don't believe in? Why should I continue the suffering of people from over 2000 years ago? You don't see African Americans taking a day to pick cotton in remembrance (that wasn't racist, it was directly connected to what I'm saying).

Not to mention the only rule is that I'm allowed to do nothing but walk and read, and use the bathroom (but I can't turn the light on! door needs to stay open)

The problem is, if you don't believe in god, you don't have to respect your parents, why should you? They're treating you like a slave. Nobody is there to stop you.

God doesn't force people to do whack apart from be orderly (love others as you love yourself, and love god too) but that's only based on my belief of god.

Shakyamunison

If god does not exist, then there is nothing wrong with doing a customary ritual for your family. It may mean something to them, but it doesn't have to mean anything to you. I am a Buddhist, and I celebrate Christmas.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by BananaKing
The problem is, if you don't believe in god, you don't have to respect your parents, why should you? They're treating you like a slave. Nobody is there to stop you.

God doesn't force people to do whack apart from be orderly (love others as you love yourself, and love god too) but that's only based on my belief of god.

That is not true. You have to respect you parents regardless if there is a god or not.

BananaKing
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
That is not true. You have to respect you parents regardless if there is a god or not.

Did your parents tell you that? messed (yes!)
If we die, and dissappear forever, there isn't a single reason to respect parents. We're all gonna die and dissappear neways, what's the point?

Shakyamunison
If we die, and dissappear forever, there isn't a single reason to respect parents. We're all gonna die and dissappear neways, what's the point?

I am from my mother and father. I am part of them. I never disappear. Energy cannot be destroyed.

BananaKing
I am from my mother and father. I am part of them. I never disappear. Energy cannot be destroyed.

You are right, but that's because you aren't atheist.

Shakyamunison
You are right, but that's because you aren't atheist.

What does that have to do with anything? Do you hate atheists?

BananaKing
What does that have to do with anything? Do you hate atheists?

No, but atheists don't believe god and anything about us even being energy.
They think that when we die we're gone forever and that's that.

Shakyamunison

I see... Where did you exist before you were born (conceived)?

allofyousuckkk
It isn't just a ritual. Instead of going to work, I will sit at home for about 26 hours listening to my dad talk about how great the jewish people are and how we are better than everyone else etc etc.

His favorite things to say on Yom Kippur are:
1- I am like a diamond, as are all jews. You are a reinstone, so you need to work hard to be as good as a diamond (im only half israeli)
2- The Jewish people are the #1 people on the planet. God chose us from everone else on the planet.
(then he starts with the gay bashing, with me being bi and him not knowing)
3- Gay Jews aren't actual jews because they go against god and nature.

There is more, but I cant htink of them. The people in my family are the most close minded people I know. I seriously cannot take it. Now I'm stuck with them all day, in closed quarters where there is no sound but their voices.

DigiMark007

Wonderful (and wrong) assumptions. That matter is condensed energy is simply physics. How does being an atheist have anything to do with that?

Symmetric Chaos

Matter is just a form of energy, man.

BananaKing
I see... Where did you exist before you were born (conceived)?

i was just matter, asin matter from this universe smile But then things start to get complicated.

BananaKing
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Matter is just a form of energy, man.

Apart from the fact it's lifeless? lol

Shakyamunison
i was just matter, asin matter from this universe smile But then things start to get complicated.

I see... I believe that life goes from life to life (reincarnation), therefore I have always been here, and yes it gets complicated. big grin

BananaKing
I see... I believe that life goes from life to life (reincarnation), therefore I have always been here, and yes it gets complicated. big grin

I believe that matter needs certain conditions (like that of the brain) for god to create the soul kind of energy, which then once the brain has assisted, the soul stays for awhile until the brain wears out and lets the soul energy free.

Shakyamunison
I believe that matter needs certain conditions (like that of the brain) for god to create the soul kind of energy, which then once the brain has assisted, the soul stays for awhile until the brain wears out and lets the soul energy free.

There is a big difference in how we believe: I believe that energy cannot be created.

BananaKing
There is a big difference in how we believe: I believe that energy cannot be created.

It's like when you spark a fire, it's created in that sort of way, but when it's created it doesn't go away, like gravity.

Shakyamunison
It's like when you spark a fire, it's created in that sort of way, but when it's created it doesn't go away, like gravity.

But the energy that fire "is", was not created; it was changed.

debbiejo
So, you are Jewish and cannot work after sundown on this holiday?

DigiMark007
Screw that noise. I'd be upset. I'd probably monologue for about half an hour in front of my family talking about the injustices of such a dictated holiday, especially upon those who don't believe.

Do what you want bud. Life's too short.

However, I do know that many Jewish people celebrate holidays even if they aren't believers because it is part of their strong cultural identity. So it's hard to compare with my own life, though I can at least imagine some of the struggle involved since I can relate it to my Christian de-conversion.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Screw that noise. I'd be upset. I'd probably monologue for about half an hour in front of my family talking about the injustices of such a dictated holiday, especially upon those who don't believe.

Do what you want bud. Life's too short.

However, I do know that many Jewish people celebrate holidays even if they aren't believers because it is part of their strong cultural identity. So it's hard to compare with my own life, though I can at least imagine some of the struggle involved since I can relate it to my Christian de-conversion.

Sometimes putting up with stupid holidays shows love to those people who find some meaning in the ritual.

Kevy2007
http://www.lfctoronto.com/blog/uploaded_images/fowler-789998.jpg

This is God

DigiMark007
Sometimes putting up with stupid holidays shows love to those people who find some meaning in the ritual.

True (I celebrate Christmas too), but I'm talking about being forced to do so. It's a very different scenario than being able to voluntarily do something for the sake of others, even if you don't believe it.

Symmetric Chaos
Apart from the fact it's lifeless? lol

What?

Thats an established fact in science. Matter actually is energy on a certain level.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by DigiMark007
True (I celebrate Christmas too), but I'm talking about being forced to do so. It's a very different scenario than being able to voluntarily do something for the sake of others, even if you don't believe it.

That's true, but if you love the person (people) even being forced to do something can be mutated into a positive thing.

Bardock42

You have a conscience?

You feel compassion?

You don't need a god for morals.

anaconda
you respect your parents casue they brought you into this world, you respect your parents for the love they give you

SpearofDestiny

I had a similiar situation, but not as intense.

On Thanksgiving, my parents wanted me to lead the pre-meal Prayer. They know pretty well that I am not Christian anymore, and it felt very awkward praying to a god that I don't beleive in.

So instead of saying the word "God" or "Father", i Simply said "you". I said we thank you for our meal, for all our blessings and fortunes, etc.

I did it, because I would feel horrible disrespecting my parents and thier beleifs (especially my mother who strongly beleives in God), especially in a family dinner they took the time to prepare.

I don't beleive in God, but I still celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, and even Easter.

God did not create those holidays. They are man-made holidays, part of human tradition, and I feel I must respect them, especially since they bring Joy and cause no harm.

SpearofDestiny

Untrue. Science makes it clear that all matter is energy. An Athiest most likely will not deny scientific fact, which is that energy cannot be created or destroyed.

Reincarnation makes more sense to me, because the bodies we inhabit now..the atoms in those bodies are billions of years old. And those atoms that make us up right now will always exist, even after we die.

We change. All things change. All states are temporary. Death is not the ultamate end.

I beleive that the typical Atheist's beleif that there exists nothing after death, is just as wrong as a religious person's beleif in Heaven and Hell.

leonheartmm
people are mixing materialism with atheism. materialists believe that we will die and never exist again. or sum forms of nihhlists. atheism simply means not believing in the existance of A supreme god. doesnt mean you cant believe in reincarnation or life after death or mystical forces.

as far as holidays like easter and christmas go. they are less about{generally these days} the birth of jesus or watever, but more about presents, hapiness, family joy etc. i think its great. i wud say the same about eid ul fitar to an extent oif muslims and devali etc of hindus. however, when you have more severe religious based occasions like the one you described{although i do think more newage jews living outside israel are more tolerant these days, with things like barmitzvah etc} u definately shudnt keep up with that stuff. speciallyif it humiliates your sexuality, and mostly is an occasion to become more airheaded and self righteous about the narrow minded philosophies of relegion.

cause then the message of love/family/joy etc isnt there{like it often is in christmas or heck even valentine's day.} and its a more faith based negetive thing.

as far as the thing with your parents goes, it really does depend on the parents, if you have nice loving, understanding ones, then be happy for it and cherish it. if you have good people stuck in bad faiths or life position, love them, respect them and try n not make life harder for em. on the other hand, if you have self righteous, negetive ones with no reason to be but being too full of their heritage and place in the world, then scerew em and get on with your life.

allofyousuckkk
My parents aren't religious, and it only offends them because they don't want me to be "different."

My mother isn't even israeli, and she didn't celebrate. She went out to a diner for lunch.

But either way, I managed to get grounded for the rest of the weekend. I din't complain once about being forced into this, but my mom was on edge, thinking I was going to. what ensued was 12 waking hours of her lashing out at me for dumb things such as me taking to long in the bathroom and closing the door to my room to do homework. (which made me lash out)

So there, all day I dealt with this. But I guess it was somewhat better than listening to my dad speak about the superiority of "our" people. Then again, his ramblings have never ended with me being grounded. Gah.

And to add to the conversation, I don't believe that after we die we are reborn, however, our leftover energy/atoms/whatever do survive and eventually go on to create fire, new life (although it isn't really us, just a mixture of different people's atoms) etc.

Hope everyone else had a good day smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.