Wolverine's Healing Factor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

masterbruce
This is probably one of the most, if not THE MOST, controversial topics on KMC.

So I hope through this thread, some consensus can be reached on what Logan's healing factor is capable of.

Today, I went to Borders Bookstore and read 2 Wolverine tradebacks, both of which seemed pretty recent.

One was called "Origins and Endings". In it, Logan gets stabbed by Silver Samurai in the gut, a few hours later he passes out. Also, in the same book, he gets shot by a women with a machine gun, and he goes unconscious.

So this leads me to believe that Logan's healing factor isn't as powerful as some *ahem* *capt* *ahem* have hyped it up to be.

WrathfulDwarf
Nothing can stop Wolverine....except Hulk's fanboys. stick out tongue

DigiMark007
Originally posted by masterbruce
I hope some consensus can be reached...

awesome

Good luck.

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by DigiMark007
awesome

Good luck. that's a damn creepy smilie. ermm

Battlehammer

So I hope through this thread, some consensus can be reached on what Logan's healing factor is capable of.

Today, I went to Borders Bookstore and read 2 Wolverine tradebacks, both of which seemed pretty recent.

One was called "Origins and Endings". In it, Logan gets stabbed by Silver Samurai in the gut, a few hours later he passes out. Also, in the same book, he gets shot by a women with a machine gun, and he goes unconscious.

So this leads me to believe that Logan's healing factor isn't as powerful as some *ahem* *capt* *ahem* have hyped it up to be.
Funny thing about that.

Logan had not eact or slept since house of M which was about 4 week earlier.

Logan also was not stabbed in the gut. His heart was cut in haft as stated in wolverine issue 48.

so there goes your whole reasoning.

oh and by the way I did not hype any thing.

masterbruce
Originally posted by Battlehammer
Funny thing about that.

Logan had not eact or slept since house of M which was about 4 week earlier.

Logan also was not stabbed in the gut. His heart was cut in haft as stated in wolverine issue 48.

so there goes your whole reasoning.

oh and by the way I did not hype any thing.

was it stated that he hadn't slept or eaten anything for 4 weeks onpanel?

What about later, when Wolverine got shot by the girl with a machine gun and passed out? You got an excuse for that one too? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Soljer
Idiot.

That is all.

masterbruce
Originally posted by Soljer
Idiot.

That is all.

thanks for your contribution, helpful as always. smile

Symmetric Chaos
Today, I went to Borders Bookstore and read 2 Wolverine tradebacks

. . .

You read two comic? Do you have any idea how many comics Wolverine has been in over the years?

For god's sake dood.

masterbruce
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
You read two comic? Do you have any idea how many comics Wolverine has been in over the years?

For god's sake dood.

yeah but they were two of the most recent ones.

yes I am aware of many comics Logan has been in over the years.

Badabing
Most recently, Logan has come back from all his organs getting crushed and getting shot up on end with a machine gun within minutes....if not sooner.

Battlehammer

What about later, when Wolverine got shot by the girl with a machine gun and passed out? You got an excuse for that one too? roll eyes (sarcastic)
when did facts become excuses?

You say this all the time to me. Funny thing is I don't think you know what an excuse is.

I normally state facts which you leave out such as the fact Logan had not slept since house of M or the fact he was not stabb in the gut, but rather got his heart cut in two.......

hell one of the issue you stated controdicts the other. If Logan can not be KOed by having his heart cut in haft then why would a few bullets matter?

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Soljer
Idiot.

That is all.
cosigned

willRules
wow Masterbruce reads two comics and attacks Logan's healing factor, meanwhile the wolverine fanboys strike with

masterbruce
when did facts become excuses?

You say this all the time to me. Funny thing is I don't think you know what an excuse is.

I normally state facts which you leave out such as the fact Logan had not slept since house of M or the fact he was not stabb in the gut, but rather got his heart cut in two.......

hell one of the issue you stated controdicts the other. If Logan can not be KOed by having his heart cut in haft then why would a few bullets matter?

his heart was cut in half, yet he was walking around as if nothing happened...but passes out hours later? doesn't make any sense

also, are you calling the bullets KOing him PIS? roll eyes (sarcastic)

masterbruce
cosigned

very mature, Capt. resorting to personal attacks.

Battlehammer
very mature, Capt. resorting to personal attacks.
coming from the man who was implying that I have been lieing........

also it it not an attack but a statement of fact.

Swanky-Tuna
I've given up on trying to figure out Wolverine. Isn't he an ancient, magical man-wolf now?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
I've given up on trying to figure out Wolverine. Isn't he an ancient, magical man-wolf now?

No he's magical man/wolverine/mutant/Canadian who is part of God's body and has had various past lives.

Because Marvel doesn't take muties too far or anything.

masterbruce
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna

nope, he's still the same vertically challenged, hirsute deity he's always been

Battlehammer
his heart was cut in half, yet he was walking around as if nothing happened...but passes out hours later? doesn't make any sense

also, are you calling the bullets KOing him PIS? roll eyes (sarcastic)
It does if you read the comic................

He passed out due to hunger and lack of sleep.......did you even read the issue?

No I am saying it controdicts countless other showings. Though it not that bad since Logan again had not slept or eaten for a quite a large period of time. He was shot in the head. He was stabbed and fought with winter soldier. The got shoot with a high powered rifle in the heart 3 times.

He was also only out for a few seconds.

it was a low showing so who cares every character has them.

Battlehammer
No he's magical man/wolverine/mutant/Canadian who is part of God's body and has had various past lives.

Because Marvel doesn't take muties too far or anything.
it been part of his character since his first title.

Symmetric Chaos

That doesn't not make it taking muties too far though.

Battlehammer
That doesn't not make it taking muties too far though.
I really don't see peoples issue with it.

He had past lives whoopy. whats the big deal any ways. He simply a recarnation of warriors through the ages.

you act like it such a big deal.

masterbruce
It does if you read the comic................

He passed out due to hunger and lack of sleep.......did you even read the issue?

No I am saying it controdicts countless other showings. Though it not that bad since Logan again had not slept or eaten for a quite a large period of time. He was shot in the head. He was stabbed and fought with winter soldier. The got shoot with a high powered rifle in the heart 3 times.

He was also only out for a few seconds.

it was a low showing so who cares every character has them.

um...alright, I'm gonna read the comic again when I get the chance and see if what you're saying is accurate

masterbruce
I really don't see peoples issue with it.

He had past lives whoopy. whats the big deal any ways. He simply a recarnation of warriors through the ages.

you act like it such a big deal.

name another mutant with past lives

Battlehammer
name another mutant with past lives
.........why would I have to do that? why does that matter.

Battlehammer
um...alright, I'm gonna read the comic again when I get the chance and see if what you're saying is accurate

go a head. he ends up eating his own arm.

I love how you don't read wolverine comics yet you try and debate about him all them time and say he should not be doing things he does...........how do you know what he should and should not do when you clearly don't read his comics.

you pritty much destroy any crediablity you had which was pritty much none.

willRules
.........why would I have to do that? why does that matter.

Umm if it doesn't mean anything why even have it as part of a storyline at all then? confused

Battlehammer
Originally posted by willRules
Umm if it doesn't mean anything why even have it as part of a storyline at all then? confused
what...........

all it mean is he was recarnated.........

not seeing why you care.

He was the choosen warrior to kill Ba'al.

that was the importance of it.

you should read the arc it quite good.

willRules
what...........

all it mean is he was recarnated.........

not seeing why you care.

He was the choosen warrior to kill Ba'al.

that was the importance of it.

you should read the arc it quite good.

It just seemed to me that you were placing quite a bit of emphasis on the fact that it wasn't important that he was a mutant with past lives, so I was just questioning the point of him having past lives. It just seems like an excuse for another storyline to me wink

Battlehammer
It just seemed to me that you were placing quite a bit of emphasis on the fact that it wasn't important that he was a mutant with past lives, so I was just questioning the point of him having past lives. It just seems like an excuse for another storyline to me wink
how did you get that from what I said?

I was not even the one who brought it up.

I don't really care about it. it has nothing to do with this thread for the most part.

well seeing as how he had a few arcs about his past lives.

and the fact during his civil war run they explain he has some sort of immortality I don't think it was an excuse.

It just part of his character and has been for years.

any ways that really has nothing to do with this thread so lets end that conversation.

Laminator_X

That may be a bit disingenuous, of perhaps more fairly, ill informed. The character has gone through a ton of conceptual changes over the years, despite the extremely enthusiastic fans asserting that he's always been immortal transmigrating poly-martial arts master with a godlike healing factor and innate claws.

Wein has gone on record several times that he intended the the claws to be in the gloves. Claremont nixed that when he got a-hold of him (astutely seeing that the claws were his signature characteristic) Wein, J.R.Sr. and Trimpe envisioned him to be young rather than middle aged, and a mutated wolverine created by the High Evolutionary. Claremont and Cockrum were even dropping hints toward that origin until Stan Lee had Spider-Woman's mutated-spider origin retconned because he didn't like it. They didn't want to get shot down with the same idea. Sabertooth was absolutely going to be his father until Claremont left marvel. (Claremont posted his left-over notes to the COMICS-L bitnet listserv back in 94. Ah, what might have been)

Most of the character we know grew out of the Claremont/Byrne collaboration, with a heaping helping of 90's EXTREME! smeared all over the top. Shame that it won't wipe off, it obscures the otherwise great character underneath. He was plenty cool without all the hyperbole.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Laminator_X
That may be a bit disingenuous, of perhaps more fairly, ill informed. The character has gone through a ton of conceptual changes over the years, despite the extremely enthusiastic fans asserting that he's always been immortal transmigrating poly-martial arts master with a godlike healing factor and innate claws.

Wein has gone on record several times that he intended the the claws to be in the gloves. Claremont nixed that when he got a-hold of him (astutely seeing that the claws were his signature characteristic) Wein, J.R.Sr. and Trimpe envisioned him to be young rather than middle aged, and a mutated wolverine created by the High Evolutionary. Claremont and Cockrum were even dropping hints toward that origin until Stan Lee had Spider-Woman's mutated-spider origin retconned because he didn't like it. They didn't want to get shot down with the same idea. Sabertooth was absolutely going to be his father until Claremont left marvel. (Claremont posted his left-over notes to the COMICS-L bitnet listserv back in 94. Ah, what might have been)

Most of the character we know grew out of the Claremont/Byrne collaboration, with a heaping helping of 90's EXTREME! smeared all over the top. Shame that it won't wipe off, it obscures the otherwise great character underneath. He was plenty cool without all the hyperbole.

Im the one who put that on wiki............which seems to be were you got your info.

Oh and when it comes to wolverine I am far from ill informed/

I know what your talking about. thats has nothing to do with what I said.
what i said had to do with one of his first on going solo title after he was shown to have a healing factor and amazing MA skills.

also the sabertooth being his father idea did not get nix till around the 90's. They never said it was his father for sure, but it was one of the ideas they have. This however does not effect my statment at all.

does not matter either way since they kept the idea of him being recarnated and a couple years ago did a whole arc on it. Think it was 2001

also things you forgott to mention was the fact he was supose to be spidermans equal stat wise. You also forgott to mention he did not have a healing factor either.

Jade Lightning

WOlverine hadn't eaten for months before his battle with the Silver Samurai. If you read the comic you'd understand that. I agree that Wolverine's healing factor sort of depends on the writer, but in this case the duels in Origins and Endings don't take anything away from his healing abilities.

Laminator_X
I wasn't aiming to be exhaustive, merely point out a few conceptual changes.

The early concepts are on tons of different sites as they've been oft repeated in print interviews for many years (sadly no more to come from Cockrum). I regretfully have not been able to find a bitnet archive anywhere since those days. It seems that the colleges who were upgrading to the internet in those days were so eager to leave bitnet behind that they didn't bother with the old lists.

The point I'm trying to make is that his character concept has changed many times and is still changing going forward. Some changes are for the better, some are for the worse.

Sometimes though, when someone remarks that he's powered up over the years, there's this cry of "There never was a 'Classic Wolverine,' he's always been this uber." This is no more true than to say that he's still an improved New Men experiment.

Battlehammer
I wasn't aiming to be exhaustive, merely point out a few conceptual changes.

The early concepts are on tons of different sites as they've been oft repeated in print interviews for many years (sadly no more to come from Cockrum).

The point I'm trying to make is that his character concept has changed many times and is still changing going forward. Some changes are for the better, some are for the worse.

Sometimes though, when someone remarks that he's powered up over the years, there's this cry of "There never was a 'Classic Wolverine,' he's always been this uber." This is no more true than to say that he's still an improved New Men experiment.
I get your point but this really does not effect what I am saying though.

Though since his original revamp he has only change by getting up grades to his healling factor which were fully explained.

Laminator_X
I get your point but this really does not effect what I am saying though.

Though since his original revamp he has only change by getting up grades to his healling factor which were fully explained.

The bone-claws were a serious latter-day retcon. He never showed claws in a single flashback to his pre-adamantium days prior to that storyline. The whole "immotality" thing is a fairly major change to the character too.

Battlehammer
The bone-claws were a serious latter-day retcon. He never showed claws in a single flashback to his pre-adamantium days prior to that storyline. The whole "immotality" thing is a fairly major change to the character too.
not really. bone claws were during the 90's true, but the idea was out there for a while.

most of his flash backs to this day he had no idea he was a mutant.

Not sure what the bone claws has to do with this thread at all either.....

actaully the immortal thing is not new.

like I said he has been stated as recarnations...........that alone would make him immortal since any time he died he simply recarnated.

also he was stated in 92 graphic noval of weapon x as immortal.

He was stated by a few other sources as immortal as well.

so the immortal thing is not really a new idea

Laminator_X
Perhaps we're dancing around a dissonance in perspective here. My impressions of Wolverine were first formed reading Claremont/Cockrum, Claremont/Byrne, and Claremont/J.R.Jr., and Claremont/SylvestriX-Men in my youth. I stopped reading X-men regularly around Uncanny #280 or so, though I still picked up an issue here and there.

The development of unstoppable Godlike Wolverine is something that came about in maybe the most recent 40% of his history. It doesn't mean those stories are invalid or wrong, but when I see Logan stand in the middle of a burning oil refinery inferno and not keel-over, or the when Xavier Protacalls say that the only way to beat him would be decapitation from a distance; I still just feel a deep down, "Say Wha?"

Creshosk
Umm if it doesn't mean anything why even have it as part of a storyline at all then? confused What do other mutants stoylines have to do with Wolverine or his healing factor?

willRules
Nothing, the topic of conversation faced some digression and I did nothing to change this big grin

llagrok
Nothing, the topic of conversation faced some digression and I did nothing to change this big grin

HEY!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/marvelkris/fun%20pics/dontmakeme.jpg

Sparkz
What's wrong with Logan having a low showing? But this one has a flipping excuse as well lol. If you wanted a low showing I'd read the Japan story line where he was Ko'd by poison and wooden sticks (low showings but a fantastic story, probably my favourite Wolverine story of them all)

jinzin

Yeah he was carrying a NONSTOP war against the people that wronged him.. he had to eat his own arm for sustanance for god's sakes...

Sparkz
Originally posted by jinzin
Yeah he was carrying a NONSTOP war against the people that wronged him.. he had to eat his own arm for sustanance for god's sakes...

I bet he never complains when he finds hair in his food....

jinzin
lol, y'know I was thinkin the other day about how Logan kills people and then retracts the claws back into his arms with their blood still covering the blades... eeewwwwwww Logan's nasty.

Sparkz
lol that reminds me of that little comic strip where Logan cuts bread and everyone was moaning he'd killed Zombies and not washed his claws lol.

He may be an ultimate killed machine but a little personal hygiene can go a long way.

jinzin
Well

"that's what comes from being short, hairy, and unloved" lol.

Sparkz
maybe if he cleaned himself up a bit he would be loved, cut that body hair off without all that extra weight he might grow a few inches!

jinzin
But the hair would just grow back.. darker.. and thicker....

It always grows back!!!

Sparkz
But the hair would just grow back.. darker.. and thicker....

It always grows back!!!

Well if it he'd just have to keep cutting it then wouldn't he, its not like he doesn't have the tools with him 24/7 stick out tongue

jinzin
lol.. I wonder if that could tax out his HF given enough time.

Sparkz
you know I never thought of that big grin we have a new weapon in the Spider-man vs Wolverine thread, Spidey keeps ripping wolverines hair off with webbing. There isn't any way you can miss Wolverines body hair!

jinzin
sad

CRAP!

Sparkz
yeah your scared now! lol

I'd love to get an on panel feat of that!

Laminator_X
And thanks to his healing factor, laser hair removal is not an option. Zounds!

endrict
Logan used to my all time fav charater but over the yrs like his healing factor he became too tough for his own good.

His healing factor was great back then when he was classic. Now it's he gets nuked and one-two panels later he's fine again. wtf? gay writing and that's whats made me turned away from marvel.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by endrict
Logan used to my all time fav charater but over the yrs like his healing factor he became too tough for his own good.

His healing factor was great back then when he was classic. Now it's he gets nuked and one-two panels later he's fine again. wtf? gay writing and that's whats made me turned away from marvel.
really that funny since classic wolverine did not have a healing factor............

so you did not read much about your favorit character..................

Big Sexy
lol, y'know I was thinkin the other day about how Logan kills people and then retracts the claws back into his arms with their blood still covering the blades... eeewwwwwww Logan's nasty. Reminds me of a issue where hes making a sandwich and cuts it up for a few X-men. I'm thinking "Hello, how many people has he butchered with those things." Who knows whens the last time hes sterilized them

masterbruce
really that funny since classic wolverine did not have a healing factor............

is that your new hobby...accusing people of not reading comics? sad

Battlehammer
is that your new hobby...accusing people of not reading comics? sad
What do you mean accusing.......

it a fact you don't read wolverine and the issues you said you read you were simply lieing which I proved.

Cres can back me up on that.

and this kid said wolverine was his favorit character, but only as classic wolverine...........thats kinda funny he would say he like classic wolverines healing factor.........better then current..........when classic wolverine had no healing factor.........

endrict

When I say "classic" it's meant early Marc Silvestri and Jim Lee days On X-men and Wolverine. Those were my favorite times for Logan and that's my opinion. If you don't like it, oh well....I don't care.

batdude123
Wolverine's healing factor = one of the most inconsistent things in comics.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by batdude123
Wolverine's healing factor = one of the most inconsistent things in comics.
not really.

it pritty dam consistent.

just when people take scanns from to different eras the it looks inconsistent

Creshosk
not really.

just when people take scanns from to different eras the it looks inconsistent And discard the circumstance around the low showings and some of the high showings...

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Creshosk
And discard the circumstance around the low showings and some of the high showings...
yup.

batdude123
not really.

just when people take scanns from to different eras the it looks inconsistent

You know it's true. ermmhappy

Battlehammer
You know it's true. ermmhappy
it not though..........

batman is far more incosistent..............and don't me me started on his belt.........

Creshosk
You know it's true. ermmhappy Your opinion of a fact which contradicts said opinion does not translate well into objective truth.

Saying that an invalid statement is true does nothing to further your case.

batdude123
it not though..........

batman is far more incosistent..............and don't me me started on his belt.........

O rly now? 313

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/Nightmareman95/HAL10WEEN/1qb1.jpg

batdude123
Your opinion of a fact which contradicts said opinion does not translate well into objective truth.

Saying that an invalid statement is true does nothing to further your case.

God damn, you truly are too anal to take a joke, aren't you?

Evil_Ash
Wolverine's healing factor is no where near as good as Batman's.

masterbruce
Originally posted by Evil_Ash
Wolverine's healing factor is no where near as good as Batman's.

yeah but Batman is The Friggin Batman, what's Logan's excuse?

Creshosk
God damn, you truly are too anal to take a joke, aren't you? Old wounds don't heal well. You joke about things that others are serious about. Despite their joking demeanor.

Evil_Ash

Uhh...

Being Canadian?

Creshosk
yeah but Batman is The Friggin Batman, what's Logan's excuse? ...

He's the best at what he does?

batdude123
Old wounds don't heal well. You joke about things that others are serious about. Despite their joking demeanor.

No harm, no foul.

Battlehammer
O rly now? 313

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/Nightmareman95/HAL10WEEN/1qb1.jpg
batkick>>>>>>>>>>>>>everyone combind

batdude123
batkick>>>>>>>>>>>>>everyone combind

Indeed.

Alfheim

Hes the figgin Wolverine. laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.