comic tech

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lando005
What is the most advance piece of comic technology you think current real world science is capable of creating

Rufus T Firefly
Big Wheel's, big Wheel. The kangaroo's mighty legs...

DigiMark007
The most advanced tech currently possible is probably nanotechnology that can interface in basic ways with the human mind...but it's operating on such a subtle level that it doesn't make for good comics.

Most comic tech is impossible, or so far off from our current knowledge that impossible still applies.

lando005
cloaking device

lando005
bump

Laminator_X
I remember reading some years ago that a "force field" had been built that uses plasma trapped in a magnetic field that could hold atmospheric pressure on one side and vacuum on the other. And yes, it did glow blue.

lando005
Originally posted by Laminator_X
I remember reading some years ago that a "force field" had been built that uses plasma trapped in a magnetic field that could hold atmospheric pressure on one side and vacuum on the other. And yes, it did glow blue. do you remember any details about that? or any possible links?

Laminator_X
This article covers both recent developments in electro-lasers, and the "plasma window" tech I referred to above.

The best thing in the article: The solution to a problem with using the plasma window in electron-beam welding was, I kid you not, "reverse the polarity." It doesn't get more comic tech than that.

lando005
let's keep in mind that man kind's true technology level is actually 5-10 years more advanced than the general public reailze.

lando005
bump

DigiMark007
Originally posted by lando005
let's keep in mind that man kind's true technology level is actually 5-10 years more advanced than the general public reailze.

But comic tech is generally 5-10 centuries beyond it. Cutting edge technology is mostly in the fields of nanotechnology and being able to cognitively interface with mechanized systems....neither of which plays a role in comics because it's not as "fun".

The clunky (though interesting) attempts to recreate forcefields, invisible suits, complex laser constructions, etc. isn't even remotely close to something Reed/Doom/Bats/etc. would make in about 2 pages of off-panel tinkering.

lando005
Originally posted by DigiMark007
But comic tech is generally 5-10 centuries beyond it. Cutting edge technology is mostly in the fields of nanotechnology and being able to cognitively interface with mechanized systems....neither of which plays a role in comics because it's not as "fun".

The clunky (though interesting) attempts to recreate forcefields, invisible suits, complex laser constructions, etc. isn't even remotely close to something Reed/Doom/Bats/etc. would make in about 2 pages of off-panel tinkering. I know we cant hope to match comic tech but i do think we are currently capable of creating some things we see in comics just not any of the crazy off the wall stuff

DigiMark007
I know we cant hope to match comic tech but i do think we are currently capable of creating some things we see in comics just not any of the crazy off the wall stuff

I made a thread about the plausibility of Batman existing in the real world (it's floating around the Bats forum somewhere). So yeah, not everything is far-fetched.

Harry Fingerman
Reed Richard's big bang machine.

SnazzySmurph
I think we're only a few years from a batarang. ermmnone

Martian_mind
Originally posted by SnazzySmurph
I think we're only a few years from a batarang. ermmnone

Australia had that 200 years ago.

manjaro
i remeber in a simlair thread i posted the one where some crazy ass inventor in canada invented an iron man esque armor like 20 yrs ago to tackle grizzly bears and shit....also i wish i could live long enuff to see the day when we have tech that's simlar to that guy in ultimate FF who told Reed that he has "technology that can juggle worlds like brightly colored balls"eek!

lando005
Originally posted by manjaro
i remeber in a simlair thread i posted the one where some crazy ass inventor in canada invented an iron man esque armor like 20 yrs ago to tackle grizzly bears and shit....also i wish i could live long enuff to see the day when we have tech that's simlar to that guy in ultimate FF who told Reed that he has "technology that can juggle worlds like brightly colored balls"eek! maybe you should get cryogenicly frozen

manjaro
i was more jazzed about the ballserm........wait that didnt come out right

lando005
Originally posted by manjaro
i was more jazzed about the ballserm........wait that didnt come out right too late!!!!!i'm posting this everwhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't shiv
we have energy weapons

Endless Mike
Originally posted by don't shiv
we have energy weapons

That's a conducted energy weapon, not a directed energy weapon

Zebedee
Originally posted by Endless Mike

Indeed although I have help a microscope over an ant as a child. Surely that counts.

Symmetric Chaos

But we do happen to have directed energy weapons.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
But we do happen to have directed energy weapons.

Yes, but they're not practical in combat due to power requirements

lando005
major update in genetics.... we can now read and write DNA.... we can now create artificial life

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/oct/06/genetics.climatechange/print

Symmetric Chaos
major update in genetics.... we can now read and write DNA.... we can now create artificial life

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/oct/06/genetics.climatechange/print

No, one nut job says he can do it.

lando005
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
No, one nut job says he can do it. it's small scale but the results where there.... although i think they should abandon this kind of research

Endless Mike
Why? This kind of thing could lead to a cure for cancer.

lando005
Why? This kind of thing could lead to a cure for cancer. yea but the negative risk almost outweighs the positive

it would be good but i have a feeling the first thing someone will use it for is a weapon

Endless Mike
We already have bioweapons.

lando005
I just saw an segment on the news that a private robotics company and the army are co working on development of an exosuit the suit is in it's final phase of deveolopment, all the need to do now is create a power pack

lando005
has anyone heard the news about possible cloneing for livestock. Cloned byproducts may be in your supermarkets in as little as about 5 years

K-Dog
I think it would be possible to create an armor suit with a jetpack to fly, and it could have radar and communication and night-vision and some basic weaponry like small missiles. Maybe that's what they're doing at Area 51--reverse engineering iron-man, not alien ships.

lando005
Originally posted by K-Dog
I think it would be possible to create an armor suit with a jetpack to fly, and it could have radar and communication and night-vision and some basic weaponry like small missiles. Maybe that's what they're doing at Area 51--reverse engineering iron-man, not alien ships. the power suit is a reality now but not to the extent that your thinking, the prototype they have now is pretty bulky and wont have any room for all that stuff until they learn to condense the size of the power pack

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.