Where to buy comics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SpideySuperFan
I've bought tons of back issue Spider-Man comics from eBay and newkadia com, but I need to fill in my collection.... What's the best of the rest to buy from?

arcinis
Originally posted by SpideySuperFan
I've bought tons of back issue Spider-Man comics from eBay and newkadia com, but I need to fill in my collection.... What's the best of the rest to buy from?

Do you want to collect them or read them?

steverules
Depends where you live...if you live in the US then your local comic book store will probably have a load of them, in the UK there aren't so many back issues. When I went to the US I took $300 and $190 of that was spent on buying amazing spider-man back issues that I found in a comic book store called Midtown comics, I basically bought there entire Amazing spider-man back issues.

Sparkz

steverules
I like forbidden planet big grin thats where I got most of my amazing spider-man Graphic novels big grin

Sparkz
Originally posted by steverules
I like forbidden planet big grin thats where I got most of my amazing spider-man Graphic novels big grin

Thats where I get all my comics from big grin only problem is I have brought every single Spider-man graphic novel in that shop and it takes so long for them to update there stock sad

steverules
Yeah, when I wanted the Wolverine agent of Shield graphic novel it took ages for them to get it and they kept giving me different dates like...saying it would be out in march, then they said April..but they aren't that bad and they could be worse

Sparkz
oh no they aint bad, only place I can get my comics from, i may have run out of Spider-man, but I still have the rest of the fantastic 4 to get, hulk, Thor Iron man, I spend far to much money in there, I seem to have a bookcase full of comics lol

Oh and I would also recommend getting Astonishing Spider-man, it comes out every 2 weeks and has 3 stories of old and new, i love the collectors titles, they give me easy access to deadpool big grin

steverules

Sparkz

steverules
Your lucky I had to pay for them

Sparkz

steverules
First comic I ever got was astonishing spider-man 64 which I got at a gas station on my way to a football match lol, I read it like...5 times

Sparkz
Sad thing is I know exactly which issue you mean. I got that when I had my subscription going , I'v read that issue so many times I loved that issue, Shoc was such a great character. I'm actualy re reading all of my Astonishing Spider-man comics gotta say they certainly have changed over the past 10 years or so.

steverules
Yeah I know...did you know Shoc got killed in Wolverine Agent of Shield, he was working for the hand...I think he had been killed and bought back to life by them

Sparkz
Yes i did notice, I also noticed that he said he didn't have long to live and years later he is still alive and kicking, and they spelt his name wrong. they called him Shock not Shoc. They also changed his colour scheme :s I know while he was holding the portal open to the negative zone his suit change colour but you would have thought it would become blue and black after what 3 years or so, not stay black and white...

i think out of all the issues of Astonishing Spider-man mine has to be when Doc Ock is reserected something about that story I just love, all the characters were spot on and the art had a certain charm. Well that and probaly the Morlun story line but I have that in TPB aswell soooo, oh and when Electro's power was super sized so he could take Spidey and Nate Grey, Ok I love the whole era between just after onslaught was beaten and Norman Osborn finaly being defeated after the gathering of the 5.

steverules
I liked scarlet spider-man vs Venom when he beats him with impact webbing and stingers

Sparkz
ah yes, just so happens I read that yesterday, what is it about Spider-men, they take venom down with relative ease on their first encounter with him, then after that without a plot device they just can't seem to bring him down.

steverules
Spidey got beaten by Venom first time when you think about it, he was knocked out then webbed to the bell then spidey beat Venom, Scarlet didn't really lose or win first time but he did get nailed by Venoms claws pretty bad

Bicnarok
If you just wnat to read them, go on bearshare or some other sharing net, look for CBR format which is the comic book format. You can uncompress the file with winrar or similar app and view the comics with a pic viewer like acdsee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Archive_file

Arachnid1
Your lucky I had to pay for them
I read the in the thieves guild. I loved the thieves guild. Sucks its gone. sad

steverules
There, there little buddy

Sparkz
Spidey got beaten by Venom first time when you think about it, he was knocked out then webbed to the bell then spidey beat Venom, Scarlet didn't really lose or win first time but he did get nailed by Venoms claws pretty bad

Maybe so but both still would have died I suppose if not for either good planning or outside help,

steverules
I think the writers of Scarlet spidey vs Venom wanted spidey to win with no help, just doing by himself with good fighting, good thinking and good planning, which is wot he did

Sparkz
Yeah, trust me I'm not knocking the fight I loved it, but it just seems weird how they always do pretty well when they first fight him, then when they try again well they get pretty much killed...

I was always disappointed (way back in the day) that the only appearance of Venom I had and Spider-man didn't fight him lol

steverules
Thats how all the fights are meant to go though, spider-man beats the villain first or second time around in a comic, and then later he get's his ass kicked all the time

Darkhalen
that's true the villains start off invincible in there first appearance then after the second battle they always loose even when they should win i'm thinking of venom doc ock green goblin fit that description

steverules
It's pretty much the way it's always been

willRules
Originally posted by Sparkz
Yes i did notice, I also noticed that he said he didn't have long to live and years later he is still alive and kicking, and they spelt his name wrong. they called him Shock not Shoc. They also changed his colour scheme :s I know while he was holding the portal open to the negative zone his suit change colour but you would have thought it would become blue and black after what 3 years or so, not stay black and white...

i think out of all the issues of Astonishing Spider-man mine has to be when Doc Ock is reserected something about that story I just love, all the characters were spot on and the art had a certain charm. Well that and probaly the Morlun story line but I have that in TPB aswell soooo, oh and when Electro's power was super sized so he could take Spidey and Nate Grey, Ok I love the whole era between just after onslaught was beaten and Norman Osborn finaly being defeated after the gathering of the 5.

You have just named some vintage spidey stories. I own every issue of Astonishing Spider-man and IMO the best issues are issue #18 which reprints Amazing Fantasy #15, the death of Ben Reilly in #57 (Great character lasted just over #50 issues) and
#69 The Electro story you mentioned with Nate Grey. I loved the controversial Clone Saga, I loved the Molurn storyline. I thought that the return of Aunt May and Osborn's descent into madness was handled poorly. I also have a fondness for issue #32 (The second issue for Ben Reilly when he took over the title) as that's when I first started collecting comics, but I own every issue.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Bicnarok
If you just wnat to read them, go on bearshare or some other sharing net, look for CBR format which is the comic book format. You can uncompress the file with winrar or similar app and view the comics with a pic viewer like acdsee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Archive_file Thanks for the info. Now I can get back to comics!

EDIT:
Just downloaded it. bearshare is a music sharing file, apparently. Oh well.

Sparkz
Originally posted by willRules
You have just named some vintage spidey stories. I own every issue of Astonishing Spider-man and IMO the best issues are issue #18 which reprints Amazing Fantasy #15, the death of Ben Reilly in #57 (Great character lasted just over #50 issues) and
#69 The Electro story you mentioned with Nate Grey. I loved the controversial Clone Saga, I loved the Molurn storyline. I thought that the return of Aunt May and Osborn's descent into madness was handled poorly. I also have a fondness for issue #32 (The second issue for Ben Reilly when he took over the title) as that's when I first started collecting comics, but I own every issue.

oooo a man after my own heart, I also have every issue of Astonishing! issue 32 that's when he fought the Sandman isn't it? Or are you referring to issue 31 where he fights Armada? I loved that story!! and I agree I loved Ben Reilly to and when he died while sad was a great story.

I also really liked the clone saga, but only when I re-read it in one big chunk, it kind of drags on when you read it slowly. Yeah Osborn's madness was handled poorly, at least part of it was, mainly when he thought he was winning his fight with Spidey, it just got a little to chaotic.

I actualy started on issue 17 buying that from a market, but the first i brought from a shop was 46 where he fights alongside Gambit, been on ebay for 2 years getting the rest though big grin

Issue 1-abooout 80 is def my favourite Spidey era mainly cause its what I grew up with and this was also around the time where Pete went into his anti hero phase, when he came out of it you so appreciated the light hearted Spidey more ahhh the good old days (thats right I do love those stories!)

I'v probably said all this earlier on in the thread but well I can't be bothered to re-read it lol

Magic_attack
Originally posted by Bicnarok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Archive_file

Three things-

1. Bearshare sucks. The freeware has malware which no one wants. Paying for any of the other services defeats the purpose of what you are suggesting.

2. Why would anyone uncompress comics in the .cbr or .cbz format?

3. The correct program to view comics is by using Cdisply. Its free and then the files can remained compressed.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Thanks for the info. Now I can get back to comics!

EDIT:
Just downloaded it. bearshare is a music sharing file, apparently. Oh well.

Bearshare is a P2P filesharing program, just not a good one anymore.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.