Body oder: depends on who's smelling you

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Czarina_Czarina
oder=odor

..."the same sweaty man can smell like vanilla to some, like urine to others and for about a third of adults, have no smell at all."

"When it comes to a man's body odour, the fragrance -- or stench -- is in the nose of the beholder, according to U.S. researchers who suggest a single gene may determine how people perceive body odour"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070918/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_genes_odor

""It facilitates the courtship behaviour in females," "

Maybe someone will figure out a way to code that gene to segregate ppl, meaning if you don't want person x, or lady-x around a particular type of man or race, code that gene so that ppl in that group will avoid her or him b/c they smell of urine. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Naz
...what?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Czarina_Czarina
oder=odor

..."the same sweaty man can smell like vanilla to some, like urine to others/B]

How is that possible? Smell is pretty objective. How can somebody correlate the smell of a flower and the smell of amonia and uric acid?

Rogue Jedi
different people smell differently, even more so when they have different professions. a construction worker will smell really bad, a mechanic somewhat bad, someone who works in a flower shop, hardly at all.

Quiero Mota
But how can the same odor smell like a vanilla to one person and like urine to another?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
But how can the same odor smell like a vanilla to one person and like urine to another? they have a tainted palate, ese.

Quiero Mota
laughing out loud They must.

Rogue Jedi
I happen to have a very pleasant aroma.

KingTech
Let's leave this invention for Professors and researchers to give us more info about it.Any way it will be great if it true.

ADarksideJedi
oder=odor

..."the same sweaty man can smell like vanilla to some, like urine to others and for about a third of adults, have no smell at all."

"When it comes to a man's body odour, the fragrance -- or stench -- is in the nose of the beholder, according to U.S. researchers who suggest a single gene may determine how people perceive body odour"

Maybe someone will figure out a way to code that gene to segregate ppl, meaning if you don't want person x, or lady-x around a particular type of man or race, code that gene so that ppl in that group will avoid her or him b/c they smell of urine. roll eyes (sarcastic)

It also matters on the house and famiy smell.Every family and house has it's own small and that is just life so it is something we all have to get use too.jm smile

inimalist
"Androstenone is in the sweat of men and women, but it is more highly concentrated in men. How one perceives its smell appears to have a lot to do with variations in one odour receptor gene called OR7D4.

"It is well known that people have different perceptions to androstenone. But people didn't know what was the basis of it," Matsunami said."

the reason people would have different reactions to it would be that they have different receptors for the chemical.

Its not really that much of a stretch, though highly interesting.

I'd say this is the first thread Czarina has put up that is interesting.

segregating people by smell? that completely missinterprets the findings. ALL people of ALL races produce Androstenone that is the same, it is the people smelling it who have the variation.

Creshosk
How is that possible? Smell is pretty objective. How can somebody correlate the smell of a flower and the smell of amonia and uric acid? because of the chemical process by which "smell" occurs in the first place I'd imagine. Now while the oder given off is objective, the interpritation of it might not be. After all, all objects reflect the light waves they reflect, however people do seem things differently, after all there is colorblindness, and some people have better and worse vision than others... I'm told I have great night vision because I can move around in the dark eaily, now is this because I have great eyes that take in more data than normal, or a great processor that interpreates the data it does receive better than normal?

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by inimalist
"Androstenone is in the sweat of men and women, but it is more highly concentrated in men. How one perceives its smell appears to have a lot to do with variations in one odour receptor gene called OR7D4.

"It is well known that people have different perceptions to androstenone. But people didn't know what was the basis of it," Matsunami said."

the reason people would have different reactions to it would be that they have different receptors for the chemical.

Its not really that much of a stretch, though highly interesting.

I'd say this is the first thread Czarina has put up that is interesting.

segregating people by smell? that completely missinterprets the findings. ALL people of ALL races produce Androstenone that is the same, it is the people smelling it who have the variation.

Yeah, but there is a strong interest in segregating ppl according to control, no matter how silly it seems to our logic, we'll go against our own logic in order to appease peer-pressure, so if certain genes are tweeked to have a repulsiveness to a certain race or class, they'll always be excluded, from dates, from friends, from jobs, etc. And there are ppl who DO want total control over everyone, sorry, it's just true.

SelphieT
Ah man, in the musical I'm in, my "son" has some pretty bad body odor. He's older than me, so you'd think he'd wear some deodorant man....

Creshosk
Yeah, but there is a strong interest in segregating ppl according to control, no matter how silly it seems to our logic, we'll go against our own logic in order to appease peer-pressure, so if certain genes are tweeked to have a repulsiveness to a certain race or class, they'll always be excluded, from dates, from friends, from jobs, etc. And there are ppl who DO want total control over everyone, sorry, it's just true. So you're going to tweak blacks so they produce a certain kind of Androstenone and then tweak all whites so they react negatiely to that modified Androstenone?

Don't you see how ridiculous the scope of that is?

Why don't you run along back to the rock in the conspiracy forum that you crawled out from underneath of?

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Creshosk
because of the chemical process by which "smell" occurs in the first place I'd imagine. Now while the oder given off is objective, the interpritation of it might not be. After all, all objects reflect the light waves they reflect, however people do seem things differently, after all there is colorblindness, and some people have better and worse vision than others... I'm told I have great night vision because I can move around in the dark eaily, now is this because I have great eyes that take in more data than normal, or a great processor that interpreates the data it does receive better than normal?

you are right, it's like color b/c ppl gravitate towards blue and red; and for food, some are esp. sensitive to the color yellow. these colors are used in industry, etc.

debbiejo
I guess you are what you eat. LOL

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Creshosk
So you're going to tweak blacks so they produce a certain kind of Androstenone and then tweak all whites so they react negatiely to that modified Androstenone?

Don't you see how ridiculous the scope of that is?

Why don't you run along back to the rock in the conspiracy forum that you crawled out from underneath of?

who ME? Not I, but there are ppl who want to CONTROL others, I mean, have you ever heard of witchcraft, ppl aren't scared of it unless it's used against their will or without them knowing. This "unconscious" reaction to smell could be used like witchcraft: against a person's freewill and against a person knowing/being aware. If you read this as ME, then you aren't reading with the author's intent, I don't have a secret lab and I have zero desire to segregate ppl, HOWEVER, I am aware enough to know that some ARE INTERESTED IN THAT.

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by debbiejo
I guess you are what you eat. LOL

ops. the colors are yellow and orange, when it comes to food, and some are more senstitive to it, but the odor respector's aren't related to diet, so it's not that all ppl who eat mcdonalds are going to smell like beef or whatever. ppl with differ. receptors will interpret the smell in different ways. but a receptor isn't the issue, it's the transmitter, if a controlling person can control the transmitter of ppl they want to control or isolate, then that becomes a system of control b/c ppl who smell them will act accordingly.

debbiejo
But your diet does contribute to your body odor.

Violent2Dope
oder=odor

Maybe someone will figure out a way to code that gene to segregate ppl, meaning if you don't want person x, or lady-x around a particular type of man or race, code that gene so that ppl in that group will avoid her or him b/c they smell of urine. roll eyes (sarcastic) Oh yes...go on...*unzips pants*

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Oh yes...go on...*unzips pants*

yeah, that's odd.

Czarina_Czarina

pherenomes, that chemical relates to sex. some ppl may be repulsed by one person or group's pherenome yet, may end up finding a strong match with another persons' pherenomes. that's why you can take similar looking ppl and try to push those two ppl on a person attracted to ONE of them, but she or he, maynot be attracked to both of them, even though they look a like.

and if you spray yourself with axum, you are only attracting ppl who are attracked to that particular odor, not every female is going to like it at all. and i doubt pherenomes is related to diet.

even trees release those kind of chemicals to each other. sometimes to ward off another tree (and you'll see that tree bending the other way) or sometimes to attract the other tree, as sometimes trees are planted by "humans" and are forced to deal with each other's chemicals; some trees react well within the same species, and others don't; some trees react well with different species of trees, and others don't. It's not a one size fits all.

And I equate their "chemcial reaction and transmission" as a type of "personality", b/c they ward off particular trees and attract other trees, some of the trees are of the same "species" and other trees aren't, it's a science behind matching trees or shrubs.

and just b/c the trees are of the same species doesn't mean they like each other, sometimes they will and other times, you see that same species of a tree bending but not b/c of light, but b/c of the chemicals released by the neighboring tree(s).

Czarina_Czarina

I'm relating body odor to phernomes, and I am assuming that both of them aren't related to diet.

pherenomes, that chemical relates to sex. some ppl may be repulsed by one person or group's pherenome yet, may end up finding a strong match with another persons' pherenomes. that's why you can take similar looking ppl and try to push those two ppl on a person attracted to ONE of them, but she or he, maynot be attracked to both of them, even though they look a like.

and if you spray yourself with axum, you are only attracting ppl who are attracked to that particular odor, not every female is going to like it at all. and i doubt pherenomes is related to diet.

even trees release those kind of chemicals to each other. sometimes to ward off another tree (and you'll see that tree bending the other way) or sometimes to attract the other tree, as sometimes trees are planted by "humans" and are forced to deal with each other's chemicals; some trees react well within the same species, and others don't; some trees react well with different species of trees, and others don't. It's not a one size fits all.

And I equate their "chemcial reaction and transmission" as a type of "personality", b/c they ward off particular trees and attract other trees, some of the trees are of the same "species" and other trees aren't, it's a science behind matching trees or shrubs.

and just b/c the trees are of the same species doesn't mean they like each other, sometimes they will and other times, you see that same species of a tree bending but not b/c of light, but b/c of the chemicals released by the neighboring tree(s).

Melinine is something in the skin, and it's like a semiconductor (when placed in a saline or whatever solution), which acts as a transducer/bi-switching device, without reporting information to the brain, not every "function" of our body requires the help of the nervous system or requires the brain function. It's been a long time since I've taken anatomy, so, I maybe a bit off on this subject. but the idea is that just b/c it's a part of our body, doesn't mean it's translated the same, as part or function or hormones reports to different parts of the brain, and some, not at all, it has it's own switching power.

lil bitchiness
How is that possible? Smell is pretty objective. How can somebody correlate the smell of a flower and the smell of amonia and uric acid?

That particular example is a little off but smell is most certainly NOT objective.

We find one another attractive based on smell. We also recognize things/people based on smell, like most other animals. I like how my boyfriend smells even if he hasn't had a shower, just like he likes how I smell even if I hadn't had a shower.

Everyone has a specific smell about them.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
That particular example is a little off but smell is most certainly NOT objective.

We find one another attractive based on smell. We also recognize things/people based on smell, like most other animals. I like how my boyfriend smells even if he hasn't had a shower, just like he likes how I smell even if I hadn't had a shower.

Everyone has a specific smell about them. so the ugliest guy in the world has a chance with a gorgeous woman if he smells good?

Zeal Ex Nihilo
BLACK PEOPLE SMELL LIKE DOO-DOO

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
so the ugliest guy in the world has a chance with a gorgeous woman if he smells good?

if they have the right combo in chemicals

chillmeistergen
Bollocks, this isn't a lynx advert.

debbiejo
From what I've read and also experimented with, pheromones are not the only exhibitor of smell. Pheromones do not disguise any smell either.

lil bitchiness
so the ugliest guy in the world has a chance with a gorgeous woman if he smells good?

Thats the theory. Not about smelling ''good'' but smelling the way she likes.
Smell just like taste is not objective. Some like taste of fried chicken, others don't.

inimalist
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Thats the theory. Not about smelling ''good'' but smelling the way she likes.
Smell just like taste is not objective. Some like taste of fried chicken, others don't.

I dont know if that is the finding

there is nothing from what I have seen that equates the smell to the attraction

physiologically speaking, even the pungent sweat would contain the sex pheremones.

For instance, two sweaty men would NOT smell different to a lady , but 2 ladies may interpret the smell as being different. Some may enjoy the smell more than others, but there is no reason to think that the underlying arousal effect of the pheremones would not be as effective (although the frontal inhibition of sexual desire in the presence of a bad aroma may play a role)

EDIT: Hopefully this turns out readable, KMC is ****ing me around atm

short answer no, although there may be a woman somewhere so motivated sexually by smell that it would work.

Humans are visually dominant, and sexual attraction has huge interaction with social and child rearing variables. However, most of the signals for those things are carried through vison.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.