Judd Winick: Just Stop....Please Stop Writing....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
I just read GA/Black Canary Wedding Special....

*sigh*

Didio and Winick are jerks....

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=130572

grey fox
Originally posted by Draco69
I just read GA/Black Canary Wedding Special....

*sigh*

Didio and Winick are jerks....

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=130572

Seemed pretty funny to me ?

willRules
I read it too. Even though I expected something like that ending, I was still annoyed when it occurred......

Validus
I wish I gave a damn about Ollie.

grey fox
Whats the main problem is it how Canary killed GA ?

willRules
Originally posted by grey fox
Whats the main problem is it how Canary killed GA ?

That's why I disliked it. He rocked sad

grey fox
Originally posted by willRules
That's why I disliked it. He rocked sad

It'll turn out to be a clone, alternate dimension ollie, drug induced dream ect.

He'll be back.

And c'mon , the guy detailed Canarys stripper-esq Wedding gown. That hs to get him SOME awesome points ?

Citizen V
No, this comic was terrible.

Terrible.

grey fox
Originally posted by Citizen V
No, this comic was terrible.

Terrible.

Reasons ?

Citizen V
Reasons ?

Ending = Disgraceful. (Green Arrow 'dead' twice in a decade? That's pretty poor..).

BC characterization = Disgraceful (OMGZ, An arrow! it's not like I could use my canary cry, or remember that I am actually a very skilled MA).

Not to mention that it was pretty predictable, to be honest (Despite how terrible it was).

grey fox
Originally posted by Citizen V
Ending = Disgraceful. (Green Arrow 'dead' twice in a decade? That's pretty poor..).

BC characterization = Disgraceful (OMGZ, An arrow! it's not like I could use my canary cry, or remember that I am actually a very skilled MA).

Not to mention that it was pretty predictable, to be honest (Despite how terrible it was).

Wouldn't the CC liquidise his head at that range ?

Citizen V

If she wanted it to.

Draco69

No. There are tons of BoP issues which Gail Simone made VERY clear that Dinah can use her Canary Cry at different frequencies.

Like one that can stun or just disorient.

It's not like Blackbolt's scream or something.....

Connor Hawke will get AIDS by the time Winick is done with it....

Validus
Originally posted by Draco69

Connor Hawke will get AIDS by the time Winick is done with it....
Now messing up Connor might get me up in arms.

Rufus T Firefly
Originally posted by Validus
I wish I gave a damn about Ollie.

agreed

pr1983
shrug

i enjoyed it more than the JLA special, though thats not saying much...

canary's wedding night lingerie... drool

the end did suck tho...

roughrider
You're still upset about how DC recently screwed over Diana and the Amazons, Draco?
Haven't read this, but Winnick seems to be doing fine work with the Shazam! mini series.

willRules
Meh, you screw over GA, you make Will mad. Winick not like it when Will mad.

WILL SMASH!!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!! starwars

tjcoady
Green Arrow is not going to die. He's going to be fine... honestly, do you expect them to solicit a book called "Green Arrow and Black Canary" if the premise was that Ollie was dead? They're not Brubacker good, so they can't pull of a book where the main character is dead.

I'm sorry I haven't been posting... I won't have a computer again till next tuesday (hopefully) and right now I'm on my roommate's. Moved back up to finally complete Law school, which I've been intending to do for a while. so hopefully, once I begin having money to pay for my weekly six comics that I normally buy (jesus, having some morality and paying for comics is expensive.... six comics for almost twenty dollars compared to downloading as many as I want for free...) I will begin to post again. Maybe most of you hate me, but I hope I post intellegently enough to be respected at least a tiny bit....

but back to the OP.... obviously, Ollie will live. The art was AMAZING... I haven't seen art that good since say....... Brian K. Vaughan's "The Hood" or "The Oath" neither of which I remember the artist for, but, the art of which I enjoyed immensly, and haven't enjoyed art as much since. the plotting and the characterization COULD have been better... but Batman, Supes, Wonderwoman, and Ollie were all portrayed fairly welll... I mean, I don't like Judd Winick. At all. But the writing is improving, and while I can easily complain, it's not like the beginning of Winick's script... it IS getting better... and I can't complain against a person who has been writing for a while and has been improving, even if it's ever so slow.

lates, ya'll, and I'll post more in about a week, once I figure out what books I need in order to pass law schools classes, and justify the year I spent doing nothing but working and making money to pay for that, and actually have a hard drive again, so I don't have to borrow my roommates computer.

Martian_mind
I enjoyed his return of Jason Todd.

but as a Todd fan thats hardly surprising.

jumpmann
Ollie is one of DC's better characters when written properly. Smith's revival of the character was great, hell Meltzer's six issues alone what could be done with the character.

Winnick did completely rape the character in the past year. Though the Special was well written and genuinely fun...it was still a bloody awful way to end Ollie's run.

WrathfulDwarf
Something tells me there is going to be a twist to this....and it may happen in GA Year One.

They pull the same thing with Sin in the recent Black Cannary Mini. Ollie devise a plan to make it look like Sin died and I wouldn't be surprise if Ollie pulls the same plan twice. But this time on himself.

Juntai
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Something tells me there is going to be a twist to this....and it may happen in GA Year One.

They pull the same thing with Sin in the recent Black Cannary Mini. Ollie devise a plan to make it look like Sin died and I wouldn't be surprise if Ollie pulls the same plan twice. But this time on himself. Year One is an origin story.

WrathfulDwarf
As of now it is telling us Ollie's origin. But I'm directing the twist to the ending of the series....it could end with current Ollie recalling his origin. Just a thought.

willRules
I hope you are right sad

wuTa
I thought Winick did alright with The Outsiders, I haven't read any GA/Black Canary lately(other than JLA) but as far as Didio, anyone who planned on killing Nightwing deserves a hard kick in the balls.

Validus
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
As of now it is telling us Ollie's origin. But I'm directing the twist to the ending of the series....it could end with current Ollie recalling his origin. Just a thought.
Then wouldn't it be natural to assume it took place before he got an arrow to neck?

Juntai
Originally posted by wuTa
I thought Winick did alright with The Outsiders, I haven't read any GA/Black Canary lately(other than JLA) but as far as Didio, anyone who planned on killing Nightwing deserves a hard kick in the balls. The first arc or so of Outsiders was cool, then after the Brainiac plot, or maybe one more solid arc-- it seemed to get worse and worse, until the point where they need to get their sales back, so they trade Batman into the stories.

I won't even into what was wrong with his Lantern run and how they cancelled it and brought Hal back -- Geoff Johns cleaning up the mess as always of course.

This dude just runs books into the ground.

WrathfulDwarf
Then wouldn't it be natural to assume it took place before he got an arrow to neck?

The only thing I could think of is this.....it was a trick arrow.

Validus
Originally posted by Juntai
The first arc or so of Outsiders was cool, then after the Brainiac plot, or maybe one more solid arc-- it seemed to get worse and worse, until the point where they need to get their sales back, so they trade Batman into the stories.

I won't even into what was wrong with his Lantern run and how they cancelled it and brought Hal back -- Geoff Johns cleaning up the mess as always of course.

This dude just runs books into the ground.
I thought Judd actually had a good grip on Kyle Rayner as a character but he'd seemed to love using that book as a soapbox to discuss political and social issues. It got pretty ridiculous and he seemed to continue that in Outsiders. America's Most Wanted tie-in anyone?

Ben Raab took over GL for a little bit and wrote Kyle as a total powerhouse. God I loved it. droolio

Juntai
I thought Judd actually had a good grip on Kyle Rayner as a character but he'd seemed to love using that book as a soapbox to discuss political and social issues. It got pretty ridiculous and he seemed to continue that in Outsiders. America's Most Wanted tie-in anyone?

Ben Raab took over GL for a little bit and wrote Kyle as a total powerhouse. God I loved it. droolio His Batman arc was cool I guess.

Validus
Originally posted by Juntai
His Batman arc was cool I guess.
Nah

Screw that run and his unholy man love for Jason Todd.

Juntai
Nah

Screw that run and his unholy man love for Jason Todd. I liked it, it was personal for Batman, the art was good, the pacing was great, the action was cool, etc.

wuTa
Well, I don't think you can credit Winick for art, but I thought he did a good job with batman also, I was hoping he would kill of Todd, because besides Gwen Stacy, he was the only person to actually stay dead, which apperantly is harder to do than say alive in Comic World.

There was a point In Outsiders were it did go downhill with Winick, and down hill pretty fast.

Also, about Winick giving Conner AIDS, he already did that with Speedy so why not just infect Conner with the Bird Flu? or give him Hepatitis C, orrrrr my favorite, just leave him be.

Juntai
Well, I don't think you can credit Winick for art, but I thought he did a good job with batman also, I was hoping he would kill of Todd, because besides Gwen Stacy, he was the only person to actually stay dead, which apperantly is harder to do than say alive in Comic World.

There was a point In Outsiders were it did go downhill with Winick, and down hill pretty fast.

Also, about Winick giving Conner AIDS, he already did that with Speedy so why not just infect Conner with the Bird Flu? or give him Hepatitis C, orrrrr my favorite, just leave him be. The art was still part of the arc, I was just explaining why I enjoyed it. I wasn't trying to credit the writer with the art of the book.

Juntai
He had a couple of decent arcs in Green Lantern, but also introduced some stupid elements, and had some bad arcs too.

Overall though, I'm not really feeling the guys work much.
And the way he sank Green Lantern, Green Arrow, and Outsiders speaks volumes about what the fans think overall.

Harry Fingerman
I really doubt it was actually GA.
It was obviously a Greenbot...
People don't just go red eyed, and attack their new wife.

Plus, it continues in the next issue.

willRules
Originally posted by Harry Fingerman
I really doubt it was actually GA.
It was obviously a Greenbot...
People don't just go red eyed, and attack their new wife.

Plus, it continues in the next issue.

As much as I'd like GA to be alive, I think it was probably mind control or some form of post hypnotic suggestion that caused him to try and kill his wife.........

Either that or they had only been married a few hours and she had already become a nagging housewife, so Ollie decided to give up on life yes

grey fox

Also, about Winick giving Conner AIDS, he already did that with Speedy so why not just infect Conner with the Bird Flu? or give him Hepatitis C, orrrrr my favorite, just leave him be.

Speaking of Speedy with Aids, shouldn't she be dead yet ?

Not trying to be morbid or anything but what (realistically) is her life expectancy ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.