Top 10 most influential rappers of the 00's

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



FistOfThe North
Who's in your top 10 list of the most influential rappers of the 2000's

You could name 'em in numerical order or in no particular order.

Alpha Centauri
What do you mean?

Who has had the most influence that has come to light in the 00s? Or who in the 00s is the most influential right now?

I think a lot of the West Coast style MCs have caused what has become mainstream hip hop nowadays, sadly. Nowadays? I don't know, I don't keep track. Obviously people aspire to be like 50 Cent or The Game, I'm not sure anyone is really influential in hip hop, with hip hop anymore.

-AC

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
What do you mean?

Who has had the most influence that has come to light in the 00s? Or who in the 00s is the most influential right now?

I think a lot of the West Coast style MCs have caused what has become mainstream hip hop nowadays, sadly. Nowadays? I don't know, I don't keep track. Obviously people aspire to be like 50 Cent or The Game, I'm not sure anyone is really influential in hip hop, with hip hop anymore.

-AC

Yea meaning who, this decade, has been the most influential and has shone the most and/or has had the greatest impact in the game this decade. He/she could come from any era. (90's for example.) But the impact had to happen in this decade.

Alpha Centauri
Then the West Coasters and all their rhyming about frivolous things with a penchant for materialism.

It's essentially ruined mainstream hip hop, to me.

-AC

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Then the West Coasters and all their rhyming about frivolous things with a penchant for materialism.

It's essentially ruined mainstream hip hop, to me.

-AC hug

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Then the West Coasters and all their rhyming about frivolous things with a penchant for materialism.

It's essentially ruined mainstream hip hop, to me.

-AC

Yea i couldn't come up with a list either. I guess if i thought about it.

I'd probably place 50 cent in the top 3 or 2, as garbage as he is to me cause I can't deny that has had a significant impact in the game this decade.

And ruined mainstream hip hop? I never knew mainstream hip hip was triumphant. Well, unless you like it, then that's you.

FistOfThe North
Triumphant, quality-wise, meaning.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Yea i couldn't come up with a list either. I guess if i thought about it.

I'd probably place 50 cent in the top 3 or 2, as garbage as he is to me cause I can't deny that has had a significant impact in the game this decade.

And ruined mainstream hip hop? I never knew mainstream hip hip was triumphant. Well, unless you like it, then that's you.

As overrated as I feel they are, there was Biggie, 2Pac, Wu-Tang Clan, and a lot of the early 00s mainstream MCs who had promising debuts but then went downhill.

Ludacris, Joe Budden (Who has seemingly fallen off the face of the Earth) etc. Not amazing artists, but promising. It's a shame really.

-AC

Dusty
Well, rapper, or hip hop artist? There is a difference.

Top ten is an incredibly pointless question.

As far as I know, I'd say Jay-Z is the most influential of the 21's century thus far.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Dusty
Well, rapper, or hip hop artist? There is a difference.

Does the thread title not say rapper?

Rappers are hip hop artists usually, that's what they do. Rappers make hip hop.

-AC

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
As overrated as I feel they are, there was Biggie, 2Pac, Wu-Tang Clan, and a lot of the early 00s mainstream MCs who had promising debuts but then went downhill.

-AC

Whoa. You consider Biggie, Pac, and WuTang overrated? Then with that, I couldn't imagine whom you'd think is/was underrated but hey, to each his own, no matter how astonishing the thought or view is, i guess.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Does the thread title not say rapper?

Rappers are hip hop artists usually, that's what they do. Rappers make hip hop.

-AC Or rock with RATM....or shit...with Linkin Park

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Whoa. You consider Biggie, Pac, and WuTang overrated? Then with that, I couldn't imagine whom you'd think is/was underrated but hey, to each his own, no matter how astonishing the thought or view is, i guess.

I worded it wrong, I meant Biggie and 2Pac, not Wu-Tang. My bad.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Or rock with RATM....or shit...with Linkin Park

Yeah, of course, but primarily rappers make hip hop.

-AC

Violent2Dope
I dislike most mainstream rap, and my bias will not let me answer this question.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
I dislike most mainstream rap, and my bias will not let me answer this question.

Well how about non-mainstream or underground rappers. Your top 10 in that catagory for this decade in term of being the most influential.

Alpha Centauri
He's going to say ICP, despite them being entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

-AC

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Who's in your top 10 list of the most influential rappers of the 2000's

You could name 'em in numerical order or in no particular order.

None. Hip hop was a phase.

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
He's going to say ICP, despite them being entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

-AC ICP are among the most well known underground rappers dude, as is Esham.

Alpha Centauri
That doesn't mean influential.

You can't say "ICP" for every answer.

-AC

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
That doesn't mean influential.

You can't say "ICP" for every answer.

-AC Well, actually I "can". wink

Impediment
As much as I like ICP, I agree with AC.

ICP is anything but influential. The only reason ICP has accrued so much success and achieved their notoriety is ecause of their strictly underground style that nobody is willing to imitate, save other artists on the Psychopathic label, and the countless Juggalos that adore their music. I guarantee that if you were to compare a Juggalo and your everday fan of mainstream rap, their views of influential rappers would be polar opposite.

Just because other rappers like Snoop Dogg and Ol' Dirty [email protected] have appeared on ICP albums, doesn't make ICP influential.

Let's not turn this into an ICP discussion, please.

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by Impediment
As much as I like ICP, I agree with AC.

ICP is anything but influential. The only reason ICP has accrued so much success and achieved their notoriety is ecause of their strictly underground style that nobody is willing to imitate, save other artists on the Psychopathic label, and the countless Juggalos that adore their music. I guarantee that if you were to compare a Juggalo and your everday fan of mainstream rap, their views of influential rappers would be polar opposite.

Just because other rappers like Snoop Dogg and Ol' Dirty [email protected] have appeared on ICP albums, doesn't make ICP influential.

Let's not turn this into an ICP discussion, please. AC mentioned them.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
None. Hip hop was a phase. I strongly disagree.

Healing Artisan
Doom comes to mind for the underground scene.
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Well, actually I "can". wink ICP are a bunch of "cans"

edit:

just read the posts above, and i agree. lets not make this an ICP discussion.

Violent2Dope
AC made it an ICP discussion. no expression

InnerRise
Kind of funny how everyone who is saying "let's not make it an ICP discussion" actually discusses it.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

brett1012
top 10 gotta be

50 cent (list would be bullshit without him nealry every elementary school gangster loves the mother ****er)
Eminem ( ridiculously popular at the start of the century)
Dr. Dre (also ridiculosly popular at the start of the century and also because he's association with em n 50)
Jayz ( no need to explain)
Kanye West (at the moment theres nobody bigger than him and because of his antics he will stay in the limelight for quite some time)

Blue_Hefner
In no order and you don't have to like it


50 Cent- responsible for mixtapes becoming big
Jay-Z- top#3 dead or alive
Eminem- best selling rapper
Ludacris- one of the first Southern rappers to blow up
Kayne West- should be no need for explanation
The Game- revived the West Coast
Fabolous- responsible for Rap/R&B songs, the only songs you hear on the radio
Nelly- the 2000 version of LL Cool J
Busta Rhymes
T.I.

scoobydude
hard to say...my picks would probably be 50, kanye, and maybe dmx.

Afro Cheese
isn't the answer obvious? it's lil weezy.

Skeets
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
isn't the answer obvious? it's lil weezy.
Sarcasm? I hope.

FistOfThe North
In no order ...

-50 Cent
-Jay Z
-Wyclef
-Jim Jones
-Eminem
-Andre3000
-Kanye West
-The Game
-Bigge-2Pac (case I still hear them in a lot of rappers today)

Blue_Hefner
Jim Jones??? WTF???

Bardiel13
DragonForce are the most influencial rappers of the 00's, bar none.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
Jim Jones??? WTF???

What. As much as you may not like him, I think he's had an impact the last few years in the mainstream and underground sector. Arguably the most influential rapper of the decade, 50 cent, has even taken notice of Jones and wants to work with him.

Blue_Hefner
Jim Jones had one song. That's not any impact at all.

Afro Cheese
yea, i agree.

one hit wonder at best.

~Bun Bun~
HipHop it's self is not a phase.

Eminem
50 Cent
Nelly
T-Pain (Yes he is more RnB but he seems to be in every remix and he made auto tune the "thing" everyone wants. ((He CAN sing btw))
Ludacris (Even my dad likes him)
Ja Rule (Kinda brought around the whole bubble gum rap people are so into now)
DMX
Kanye West
Jay- Z roll eyes (sarcastic)
Lil Wayne (For how unique he is, he'll be around for quite some time.)

If we were talking RnB-HipHop Usher would be at the top aswell.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
yea, i agree.

one hit wonder at best.

Now I'm not into him but he's not a one hit wonder. He's come out with quite a few hits and anytime he's played in the clubs the place goes crazy.

And I say he's had an impact because the unecessary flamboyancy rappers mostly from the east posses now come partly but significantly from his influence, no thanks to "Dip Set"

Afro Cheese
Maybe things where you live are different, but all i can say is down south he's pretty much known for "ballinnnnn."

I can't even think of another song of his I've heard played on the radio.

FistOfThe North
Yea, he continues to carry the prettyboyism Cam passed on to him and J. Santana. And when it comes to that they do it the best. They're the masters of that pretty-boy thug look and have been and are responsible for that look sweeping the game now, mostly in the east, since the decade started.

Afro Cheese
Well if he got his influence from Cam then wouldn't that make Cam the influential one and not Jones?

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Well if he got his influence from Cam then wouldn't that make Cam the influential one and not Jones?

Not really cause J. Jones has shone more this decade than Cam has. Cam's era was in the mid late 90's and was J. Jones' inspiration but i think Jones (noticeably) took it up a notch.

Afro Cheese
Fair enough i guess.

I dont have a top ten but i'll do a top five most influential

50 cent
Snoop
Jay-Z
Lil wayne
Lil jon

Whether or not thats a compliment to these artists of course is debatable..

EDIT: replaced kanye with jay-z

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.