What do you think the world religion scene will look like in 2000 years?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Quiero Mota
Let's fastforward to the year 4000 A.D. Now assuming people are still in existence and haven't been wiped out by an asteriod, war or started colonizing other planets, what do you think religion will be like?

More specifically: do you think today's major religions will be practiced? Hinduism, Christianity, and Islam? Or maybe a new, popular religion will have spread widely among humans by then? Maybe religion won't exist? What do you think?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Let's fastforward to the year 4000 A.D. Now assuming people are still in existence and haven't been wiped out by an asteriod, war or started colonizing other planets, what do you think religion will be like?

More specifically: do you think today's major religions will be practiced? Hinduism, Christianity, and Islam? Or maybe a new, popular religion will have spread widely among humans by then? Maybe religion won't exist? What do you think?

Religion will exist, but Hinduism, Christianity, and Islam will be look at like we think about Greek mythology.

Devil King
That's a big question. A question best left in the hands of qualified sci-fi writers. Most people on this forum will likely default to their own beliefs or go with the lazy answer that religion will not exist, anymore.

There will always be religion. How heavily we allow it to influence us or dictate our politics may change, but it will always be there. It exists at all and in it's varied forms because of humanity's need to create it. That won't go away.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Devil King
That's a big question. A question best left in the hands of qualified sci-fi writers. Most people on this forum will likely default to their own beliefs or go with the lazy answer that religion will not exist, anymore.

There will always be religion. How heavily we allow it to influence us or dictate our politics may change, but it will always be there. It exists at all and in it's varied forms because of humanity's need to create it. That won't go away.

People forget that all religions of the past and present were created by people. Creating religions seems to be a human activity that may have evolutionary advantages.

debbiejo
Well if we don't destroy ourselves, I believe only knowledge will grow and religions as we know them will cease to exist as we know them today. It could very well be found that there is some sort of truth somewhere that will blend with science.

DigiMark007
In all likelihood, we won't last another 2000 years, or if we do there will be a huge fallout in the way life is lived, and perhaps technolody will finally reach the stage at which we can become transhuman. In other words, it's FAR beyond our predictive abilities.

Symmetric Chaos
2000 years?

There's no way we could even say what species we would be let alone what religion would be like.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
2000 years?

There's no way we could even say what species we would be let alone what religion would be like.

Barring transhumanism, even 2000 years is a relatively short time for evolution to work any large-scale changes. So this isn't quite true, and it's overwhelming probable that, say, current humans would be able to procreate with human beings in 2000 years.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Barring transhumanism, even 2000 years is a relatively short time for evolution to work any large-scale changes. So this isn't quite true, and it's overwhelming probable that, say, current humans would be able to procreate with human beings in 2000 years.

In 2000 years I figure there's a relatively good chance that people will have changed their physiology artificially to a point where they would be effectively a separate species.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
In 2000 years I figure there's a relatively good chance that people will have changed their physiology artificially to a point where they would be effectively a separate species.

Right, the transhumanism I mentioned. It's a fair assessment/prediction though, and likely has quite a bit of truth to it.

debbiejo
A separate species?

Jim Reaper
Scientology will be the dominate religion... You heard it here 1st. Hubbard will be some kind of messianic figure, and will have duped the entire planet.

WrathfulDwarf
We'll have Jedi Masters by then....

anaconda
and buddhism will be a nothing more than a brand of pizza

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by anaconda
and buddhism will be a nothing more than a brand of pizza

However, I think Buddhism is more resilient then other religions, but no one knows the future.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Religion will exist, but Hinduism, Christianity, and Islam will be look at like we think about Greek mythology.

Why Hinduism? It predates both of those religions.

SpearofDestiny
Orgasmism will flourish, like it should, and people of all cultures will enjoy the wondors of unleashed ORGASMIC BLISS droolio. Repressed Sexuality will be NO MORE !

WE will all realize that the greatest power in the Universe was here all along, in our genitalia ! And we will all enjoy eternal orgasmic paradise under the teachings of Orgasmus !

dd

Okay, in all seriousness....who knows.

I think Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and Hinduism will be what Greek Mythology is to us now.

Buddhism may be more of a lifestyle than a religion, I don't think it will be considered a religion in the future.

Who knows

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Why Hinduism? It predates both of those religions.

I was just coping what Quiero Mota had written. It can be more impactful to use the same wording in a counter argument.

Bicnarok

lil bitchiness

lord xyz
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

More specifically: do you think today's major religions will be practiced? Hinduism, Christianity, and Islam? Or maybe a new, popular religion will have spread widely among humans by then? Maybe religion won't exist? What do you think? Only the religion of Atheism will exist. That is our plan atleast.

Storm
Assimilation, subjugation, marginalization or a new religion. Who can tell...

anaconda
only finti ism will exist

debbiejo
Now that's a scary thought.

Boris
100% of the planet will be pastafarians.

All hail the might Flying Spaghetti Monster and his noodley goodness!

Nellinator
I think society is becoming extremely resistant to new religions. Therefore, I can't see a new developing that isn't a sect of an older one. I will suppose that Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and other old religions will still exist. And I wouldn't be surprised to see an offshoot of Islam taking off, or some new sect of Christianity. Also, think Atheism will be very dominate and that pagan religions may continue exist in small pockets like they do today.

Devil King
Originally posted by Nellinator
I think society is becoming extremely resistant to new religions. Therefore, I can't see a new developing that isn't a sect of an older one. I will suppose that Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and other old religions will still exist. And I wouldn't be surprised to see an offshoot of Islam taking off, or some new sect of Christianity. Also, think Atheism will be very dominate and that pagan religions may continue exist in small pockets like they do today.

Shouldn't you be saying 2000 years from now you'll be partying with Santagod in heaven, forever?

Actually, your response is typical. "2000 years from now, everything will basically be the same"

Someone has to explain the concept of "Pagan" religions. They're all crap.

Nellinator
There is a resurgence in pagan religions. Wicca I'm sure will evolve into some slightly more traditional, more like the ancient Druids and will probably survive a long time. There is also a resurgence of Norse pagan beliefs. I wouldn't be surprised if that became much bigger in the future. Catholicism, and Orthodox Christianity have been around for 2000 years and haven't changed that much. Two thousand years from now I'm sure they will still exist. Islam is 1400 years old and I'm sure with it's current growth rates it will still be existence in 2000 years. I'm not sure what will make things change from how they are today. Religions are one thing that seem to have lasting power.

CaptainStoic
I really have doubts that we will make it that far. In the end we will look just like the dinosaurs that preceeded us. Why do I make such claims? Well for one we can't even love each other, nor can we get past the botom line, there are children starving to death in other countries without parents to fend for them, and I just saw a man pay 75$ for a plate of food, It's ridiculous. Another point about the bottom line, money is so important to us that we can't see that our planet is dying every time we fill up our gas tanks with gas. Scientists estimate that in 20 years or fewer there will be no more snow. Does this trigger any sense of urgency in us? Nope.
The bugs will rule this planet, and we will dissapear.

chickenlover98
**** the bugs. we will all die not from global warming but lack of resources. unless this race called humanity expands into another planet humanity is doomed. i give us at max 150 years before overpopulation **** the world. then we eventually all kill each other until technologyis lost or we make peace and understand what the **** population control is. by that time we wont need oil and the the air will clear up so that wont be much of a problem.

resource deprevation will be

debbiejo
Well after the Rapture, there will be no one but us sinners here, so it might be a pleasant place.

lord xyz
Originally posted by debbiejo
Well after the Rapture, there will be no one but us sinners here, so it might be a pleasant place. Once you forget about the horsemen, flames and all the other shit...

chickenlover98
i may have cursed to much which my friend pointed out to me. i mean my last post btw. but i do think humans will be dead from over population in that case ill be partying in hell cause apparently god doesnt love me. how sad confused

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by chickenlover98
i may have cursed to much which my friend pointed out to me. i mean my last post btw. but i do think humans will be dead from over population in that case ill be partying in hell cause apparently god doesnt love me. how sad confused

I think we'll have inter-steller colonies, and Earth will have a very low population compared to today.

chickenlover98
thats if we can survve the next 150 years. we're runnin outta space buddy. less we start nukin as population control we're scrwed

Quark_666
I disagree with all the theories I've heard implying that the human species will be wiped out any time in the next 10 million years. Life has lived through worse then any of the factors of those theories except the one that involves our entire galaxy being warped...which is scheduled to happen in about 10 million years.

But I agree with Quiero Mota. We will probably have a lower population.

I also think Buddhism will be dominant over most other religions. But not as a religion...as a philosophy. I think the durability of Buddhism throughout ages stems from the fact that it can exist both as a philosophy and a religion. Of course, this is applicable to most religions, but Buddhism is the only one that has had a considerable portion of non-religious philosophical followers. The philosophy of Buddhism will last through all the fluctuations in the popularity of religion. As long as it exists as a major world philosophy, it has potential to recur as a major world religion. And the philosophy of Buddhism is too compatible with other beliefs to ever be wiped out.

Hinduism might also have a good chance if it starts to become interlinked with philosophy the way Buddhism has.

chickenlover98
why dont you think we will be wiped out? you notice that the population has spiked tremendously. we dont have the resources/room to keep everyone alive and comfortable. most likely what will happen not only as poulation control, but the thought that one country will more dangerous than another(cough china cough), it will resort to a nuclear holocaust. i think this is the truth. unfortunately the population will onyl rise faster as more people are born

by my estimate i assume that by the year 2075 the population will have reached at least 9 billion. tensions will escalate i can garuntee it

Quark_666
Because of evolution. It happens all the time. A spiked population leads to crisis but not extinction. The power behind evolution is that populations receive their greatest handicaps when the spiked population has caused enough of a genetic variety that there is bound to be a portion of survivors...immune survivors. For example, it is possible for us to chemically wipe out more then 99% of an insect population in a given area, but as the poor farmers in the 50s and 60s discovered, there are survivors, they are immune, and their children are immune.

What are the threats? Sickness? Even if we had a series of plagues amounting to double the effect of the bubonic plague (assuming biotechnological engineers couldn't reduce the mortality rate), we'd still have a population of 4 billion people, with a wide range of the gene pool left. Nuclear warfare could wipe out major cities, and only small areas might be left. But even then, there would be those who adapted to the radioactive poisoning.

If the early stages of life can adapt to and benefit from electromagnetic radiation and survive the resulting presence of oxygen in vapor form (which was one of the most biologically toxic events suspected in the history of life), evolved life can survive particle radiation.

Besides, the threat of nuclear war is decreasing overtime, and has been since 1990. Yeah, North Korea, I know. But the truth is, they are trying to develop weapons with a geographic location as tough as the German location. Germany, as you know, simply could not do quality nuclear development in WW2 when they were under pressure from their rather defensive war opponents...and they have been masters of quality engineering for a century now. North Korea doesn't have much of a chance, trying to keep secrets from sniffer planes, satalytes, the entire UN, etc. Don't get me wrong...they are a threat. But I would give the human population much chance of going extinct any time soon.

chickenlover98
ok lets put you into n uclear radiation and see if you survive. there is no immunity to NR, because it disrupts cells. it kills them, why do you think kemo works? disease wont b the problem, territory will. also we will run out of resources.

Quark_666
We're both debating a useless point, since the thread assumes that mankind will be alive in 2000 years anyway, but I guess it is my fault for reacting to your three little sentences like that.

But if I were placed into nuclear radiation according to the scenario you just mentioned, it would not necessarily be the end of me. The quantity of the radiation matters ...and as a supporter of Darwinian theory, I also think that a species has a far greater chance of survival then an individual. It matters if you give me all the advantaeges that the human species has over a single human. i.e., 7 billion different chances to survive, each with a different biological structure. That significantly increases the chance of the species surviving.

But my main point is that nuclear warfare is highly unlikely, and although territory issues may cause economic or environmental problems, I doubt it will cause a nuclear war. Nuclear wars are predicted to occur only when countries are willing to half destroy themselves for the purpose of destroying other countries...and you might be right...there might be countries willing to do that for territory. I hope not and I think not.

My belief of what will happen as a result of overpopulation is again based on Darwinian theory. The fittest will survive. I might be wrong. Maybe nobody will survive. But I think our chances of survival are certainly great enough that we can afford to talk as if the human race will survive for a longer time then that. Especially for this one thread. Don't you agree?

chickenlover98
less we expand our space travel speed to much much faster than the current state we're screwed. countries will run out of room and will need to expand. again let me say not only will resources run out but countries will become to cramped. with leaders like i unno george bush nuclear warfare aint to hard to imagine

chickenlover98
i had more to say but it all got erased and i forgot what i was saying it was more convincing sry

Quark_666
...assuming that the population continues to expand at its present expansion rate, you have a point. But I believe it is inevitable that as population increases, the forces that hold it in check also increase. We'll never be overpopulated enough to kill off everybody because once we get anywhere near that point, a portion of the population will naturally die off. Maybe it sounds cruel, but some catastrophe will guarantee entire traits of the genetic code to be temporarily wiped out.

I don't like Bush either, though. Can't disagree there.

Hyperion 07
Hopefully gone.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Hyperion 07
Hopefully gone.

Really?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.