Walter Reed Hospital: the veterans

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Czarina_Czarina
Hi, I feel badly for them, the ones in WRH, they are really needing help but for some reason, they aren't getting it fast enough. I wish there was something I could do, they offer a volunteer program, but it's to answer phones, I really don't have any medical training to help them. I feel lost. Any suggestions?

http://www.walterreed.amedd.army.mil/garrison/sites/directorates/dca_acs_volunteer.asp

Jim Reaper
Just visiting and talking to them goes a long way...

Schecter
Originally posted by Jim Reaper
Just visiting and talking to them goes a long way...

NO!!! MY GOD MAN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOURE SUGGESTING!!!

seriously, after some time of hearing about her soul switching and self sainting/crucifixion their post-traumatic stress disorder will likely worsen exponentially. you're inviting disaster.

SelphieT
We don't take as good care of our veterans as we should. Poor soldiers have been through thick and thin. My dad's been overseas twice, during the Persian Gulf, and this bogus war we are going through right now.

Thankfully he's retired now smile

inimalist
a lot of mental health stuff is really just in its infancy. There are issues with poor sanitation conditions or whatever, but for stuff like PTSD and other mental consequences of war, there is almost nothing that can be done.

It is sad.

Jim Reaper
Originally posted by Schecter
NO!!! MY GOD MAN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOURE SUGGESTING!!!

seriously, after some time of hearing about her soul switching and self sainting/crucifixion their post-traumatic stress disorder will likely worsen exponentially. you're inviting disaster.

About 12 guys from my unit went through there... Being a grunt is an unappreciated endeavor. Not that it matters... Lose an arm and your other problems shrink to nothing.

Zebedee
About 12 guys from my unit went through there... Being a grunt is an unappreciated endeavor. Not that it matters... Lose an arm and your other problems shrink to nothing.

I agree War veterans are not respected. It's quite wrong. The injured should be taken care of better for the rest of their lives it won't make up for what happened to them though. Respect man.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Czarina_Czarina
Hi, I feel badly for them I feel lost. Any suggestions?

Find a dark corner, weep for me, despair for them and yurn for yourself

Schecter
i was just joking of course, though she certainly wouldnt help much since all her conversations are self-centered and nonsensical.

did you have a chance to see the condition of the place, and if so what were your impressions. i ask since all the info i get on the topic is media-based. fox news making it out to be club med and msnbc making it out to be guantanimo for american wounded.

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Find a dark corner, weep for me, despair for them and yurn for yourself

Ok.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Explain to the vets that they are indigo children.

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Explain to the vets that they are indigo children.

i'll tell'm u suggested it, thanks

Jim Reaper
Originally posted by Schecter
i was just joking of course, though she certainly wouldnt help much since all her conversations are self-centered and nonsensical.

did you have a chance to see the condition of the place, and if so what were your impressions. i ask since all the info i get on the topic is media-based. fox news making it out to be club med and msnbc making it out to be guantanimo for american wounded.

I got ya... No, i just know what some of the guys told me about it through correspondence, and usually
it was this place sucks i wanna go home, but that's to be expected. Anything fox news reports is probably garbage, but everyone knows that, or should.

Fade and Remain

inimalist

Czarina_Czarina
the volunteering positions online is only to answer phones, etc.

and regarding mental health or PTSD, are you thinking along the lines of COS (church of scientology)?

inimalist
What does the church of Scientology have to do with any of this?

and no, I wasn't. I wouldn't believe a word that organization has to say, as they are a cult.

Fade and Remain
Originally posted by inimalist
to be fair, we live in a society that has not yet incorporated proper mental health care into any of its sectors, not exclusively in Veterans Hospitals.

tragic though it is

Do you mean private and community hospitals??? Well I have worked for 3 Community Hospitals and a Mental Health Hospital, all had excellent mental health programs, outpatient services, *qualified* doctors, et cetera. I believe it is the VA Hospitals that are the least prepared for mental or health issues of their patients and now the case loads of new veterans monthly being admitted to the already overwhelming-understaffed facilities sad .....and I feel the veterans who suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) are the ones being ignored and shoved a side because they don't necessarily have wounds one can see.

But then again those hospitals I worked at were in a semi-big city. I would imagine maybe smaller towns don't have the same benefits/programs/treatments as bigger cities.

It's a bad situation all around huh confused

Originally posted by Czarina_Czarina
the volunteering positions online is only to answer phones, etc.

and regarding mental health or PTSD, are you thinking along the lines of COS (church of scientology)?

Church of scientology... blink ????? What about COS? I'm not familiar with this term?? What is it??? confused1

inimalist
Originally posted by Fade and Remain
Do you mean private and community hospitals??? Well I have worked for 3 Community Hospitals and a Mental Health Hospital, all had excellent mental health programs, outpatient services, *qualified* doctors, et cetera. I believe it is the VA Hospitals that are the least prepared for mental or health issues of their patients and now the case loads of new veterans monthly being admitted to the already overwhelming-understaffed facilities sad .....and I feel the veterans who suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) are the ones being ignored and shoved a side because they don't necessarily have wounds one can see.

But then again those hospitals I worked at were in a semi-big city. I would imagine maybe smaller towns don't have the same benefits/programs/treatments as bigger cities.

It's a bad situation all around huh confused

You missunderstand

The quality is there, and there are effective treatments, just, and this is only from where I live and my experiences, a) there are HUGE waiting lists for outpaitent or grouphomes b) most psychiatrists aren't taking new paitents c) almost no integration of the main medical system with the mental health profession d) massive stigma still existing for people who recieve any sort of psychological care.

What sort of mental health services did the community hospitals you worked for provide? Around here, someone goes to the ER threatening suicide, the doctors scoff at them and the on staff nurse hurries them off.

Fade and Remain

Zeal Ex Nihilo
I'd like to hear more thoughts on this.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.