New Radiohead Album

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Victor Von Doom
...is out in ten days, according to their site.

'citing.

Nellinator
I'm not sure I'm a fan of their minimalist tendencies. By their own admission they are being very minimalist on this album. I will try and listen to it, but I won't be buying until I know.

On another note, this album release will probably put Hail to the Thief into Platinum territory.

Victor Von Doom
I don't really think they are minimal. Which songs make you think that?

Nellinator
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I don't really think they are minimal. Which songs make you think that? I haven't listened to Hail to the Thief in a very long while and didn't like it that much for that reason, so I'll just say a lot of songs off that album (although I think it is decent). Their sounds aren't as thick, not as busy as I'd think. Pretty sparse, increasing bass, and less guitar driven as of late. The variance in repititions were getting a little to subtle for me. But I'm really into riff based rock, so this later stuff isn't as much to my taste. I guess some would say that they have matured past my taste, but whatever, if I wasn't relaxed music I'll listen to Nick Drake or something like that.

Victor Von Doom
Less guitar driven, but with more emphasis on other instruments. It's not like they just took guitars out to lessen the sound.

Nellinator
Less guitar driven, but with more emphasis on other instruments. It's not like they just took guitars out to lessen the sound. But guitar has the distortion and the good reverb I wanna hear. Yorke's keyboards aren't dense enough for me as a hardcore piano player and lover. The bass has been increased, which I like, but bass is meh without the guitar for me.

Alpha Centauri
So it lacks what you like.

It's not necessarily minimal in general.

-AC

Nellinator
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
So it lacks what you like.

It's not necessarily minimal in general.

-AC Not always, but it is as far as rock goes. Yorke talks about minimalist composers and it seems to be a direction he is exploring.

Alpha Centauri
It's still a rock album though.

That said, rock is a bit too much of a restrictive term for Radiohead if they keep going, if it isn't already.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Nellinator
Not always, but it is as far as rock goes. Yorke talks about minimalist composers and it seems to be a direction he is exploring.

They aren't minimal rock and nothing else, though, they fill the space with other things.

Nellinator
Sometimes. We shall see how sparse this album is though.

Refused
This is the most exiting news in music in a very long time. I got like a sort of hot flash when i heard the news.

pepperjeff
I like how you can name your own price for the download. Although I'm kind of tempted to get the vinyl, but 80 bucks is steep.

MildPossession
So for the normal CD we have to wait until next year yes? if you don't want the download form.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by MildPossession
So for the normal CD we have to wait until next year yes? if you don't want the download form.

They haven't said when yet.

You can just get the download though and pay a fair price for it.

It's quite ingenious really, because it somehow makes illegal downloading look (more) unpalatable, while actually ensuring the band will make the same amount if not more from the album.

Smasandian
You can also get the discbox version which is 40 pounds.

So, the question is, whats the price your willing to pay for the download?

Alpha Centauri

Smasandian
I'm doing $10 because I am going to buy the CD when it comes out eventually.

I'm not going to buy the discbox because its $80 in Canadian and I cant justify the price.

Nellinator

Alpha Centauri

§P0oONY

Bardock42
Will probably just wait for the CD.

Alpha Centauri
I would have, but without the discbox or download it won't be out 'til next year. Just seems silly to wait that long when one of your favourite bands have officially released it themselves.

-AC

Victor Von Doom

Reverend Axel
I would like to have the songs that don't come out on the download, but I don't want the Vinyl.

Alpha Centauri
That's the point of it.

To give everyone something different. Pay more = Get more.

It's rumoured that the general, regular release in early 08 will have both discs.

-AC

Reverend Axel
That is indeed a pretty smart way to release your music, IMHO.

Nellinator

Alpha Centauri
It's a disgrace that bands get so little, which is precisely why it's important to buy music.

-AC

Reverend Axel
It's a disgrace that bands get so little, which is precisely why it's important to buy music.

-AC Which is why I'm going to buy the download for a fair price, then I'm going to buy the CD if it comes out early next year.

Nellinator

-AC It's more important to go to the shows. It screws over the record companies and gives more money to the musicians. I think it's disgraceful too.

Alpha Centauri
It's more important to go to the shows. It screws over the record companies and gives more money to the musicians. I think it's disgraceful too.

It isn't AS important to go to shows as people believe, people cite it as a reason that illegal downloading is ok, which isn't true.

Bands have to pay to go on tour really.

-AC

Nellinator
It isn't AS important to go to shows as people believe, people cite it as a reason that illegal downloading is ok, which isn't true.

Bands have to pay to go on tour really.

-AC Downloading isn't illegal in Canada fyi. I'm mixed on downloading, it depends a lot of the motivations. It definitely has it's benefits.

That depends on their situation. If they have a record deal they don't necessarily have to. Tours increase sales, so often the record company will help out. This is of course talking about small bands. If you are talking about small independents then yes.

RSSR

With the download, obviously some idiots will pay nothing (Even though they can)

-AC
And why are those people idiots?

I'm personally hovering around the $5.00-$7.00 mark (haven't decided yet)...that'll **** with all those greedy record companies, although I'll probably buy the collector's edition.

Alpha Centauri
Nellinator:

"In Canada, for example, downloading copyright music from peer-to-peer networks is legal, but uploading those files is not.".

Stupidest law of all time.

Originally posted by RSSR
And why are those people idiots?

Because I think it shows a great lack of courtesy. Obviously the band may not agree, but it's a personal view.

-AC

MildPossession
That box set does look rather nice...

Nellinator
Nellinator:

"In Canada, for example, downloading copyright music from peer-to-peer networks is legal, but uploading those files is not.".

Stupidest law of all time. I dunno, I think women walking along the highway in bikinis have to be armed with a club. That is much dumber. Or that it is illegal to ride a bicycle in a swimming pool in Saskatchewan. Those are much stupider albeit less economically harmful.

Seriously though, illegal downloading helps most poor artists. It increases their popularity to allow them to tour. It hurts people who don't need it the most. Not that I condone it, but that's the way it works around here.

Alpha Centauri
The law is dumb though, that's all I'm saying.

-AC

RSSR
So. Ordered the collector's edition, this will actually be the first purchase I've ever made on vinyl...
Was hoping that I could bestow that honor on other albums, but oh well...

D00m
Got the email 15 minutes ago. Listening now. YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

D00m
Kind of sucks that the bit rate is 160, but it's better than nothing.

D00m
I LOVE it so far!

Refused
15 STEPS!!!! FUNKY SHIT!!!!

Smasandian
Dammit, I thought I would get the email before I go to bed so I can dl and then burn it.

D00m
Getting better with each listen as with all great music. Great sign.

D00m
Nude is such a beautiful song.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by D00m
Kind of sucks that the bit rate is 160, but it's better than nothing.

What do you normally use? Most people import at 128 anyway.

I usually use 192.

D00m
What do you normally use? Most people import at 128 anyway.

I usually use 192.

192 or VBR (320).

128 is the lowest and 192 is closer to CD quality.

Victor Von Doom
192 or VBR (320).

128 is the lowest and 192 is closer to CD quality.

Which is why I use 192.

320 files are a bit too big I think. Maybe when iPods are 10000gb or something.

D00m
Yes, larger but the best possible sound quality you can get.

Reverend Axel
Sweet, a friend of mine got it. Going to listen to it tonight.

Alpha Centauri
Did you not get yours yet?

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Yes, larger but the best possible sound quality you can get.

Or just put the cd in.

Reverend Axel
Did you not get yours yet?

-AC Well, I've bought 8 CD's within the past 2 weeks. So, I need to tone it down a bit. I'm going to wait until the CD comes out next year.

Tptmanno1
You can pay whatever you want for it though.

I'm on my third listen, and its very good, has the possibility of being my favorite, past Kid A. And I like how the CD seems to get mellower as the tracks progress.

Reverend Axel
I realize that, though I wouldn't pay anything less than its worth.

Tptmanno1
True.
I paid 5 pounds, which came to about 11 US dollars. Which I thought was quite fair, especially since I plan on buying the Discbox.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Reverend Axel
I realize that, though I wouldn't pay anything less than its worth.

I'd say it's worth dollars and cents.

You can pay nothing if you want to, they have given you that option themselves, but if you wanna pay, you can still give them a couple dollars. It's all going to them, and you're buying the CD.

In any other scenario I'd have waited for the traditional release, but that won't be 'til early '08, and that seems dumb to me. Waiting a few months when there's a new Radiohead album on official release.

-AC

Reverend Axel
Right now, I can't even connect to their website.

Morning_Glory
so far off their new album I love the songs Videotape & All I Need

D00m
Or just put the cd in.

Well that's obvious isn't it? I'm talking about the highest quality rip.

Victor Von Doom
Yeah.

As is 192 being higher than 128. I just wondered why you said that bit.

D00m
Yeah.

As is 192 being higher than 128. I just wondered why you said that bit.

Yea I was hoping you would bring that up because I didn't make myself clear on that.

I didn't get how "most" people rip their albums at 128. I don't know anybody who does that. Unless people have no clue what they're doing, it makes sense to rip it at the highest bit rate possible.

Victor Von Doom
Well, everyone I know that uses iTunes doesn't even know you can choose the bit rate, or, for that matter, what a bit rate is. I'm surprised many of them get iTunes to open.

I'm pretty sure that generally most people leave it.

D00m
Are these people you know slow, or know nothing about sound quality?

Victor Von Doom
I assume they, like most people, just put the CD in and then it's on the computer. Then when they find out you can increase the quality, they either can't be bothered to change, or think it sounds alright as it is.

Actually, I wonder how many people on here alter their bit rate.

D00m
Actually, I wonder how many people on here alter their bit rate.

yea, me too.

I don't get this "most people" thing. I would think that most people would change it. All the people I know do. Oh well.

So what do you think about the album itself, vic? Favorite tune so far?

Bardock42
Well, everyone I know that uses iTunes doesn't even know you can choose the bit rate, or, for that matter, what a bit rate is. I'm surprised many of them get iTunes to open.

I'm pretty sure that generally most people leave it. **** you too.

D00m
Originally posted by Bardock42
**** you too.

LOL

Yea, sounds like vic thinks he's the only one to have figured this out.

Victor Von Doom
yea, me too.

I don't get this "most people" thing. I would think that most people would change it. All the people I know do. Oh well.

So what do you think about the album itself, vic? Favorite tune so far? Originally posted by D00m
LOL

Yea, sounds like vic thinks he's the only one to have figured this out.

No, but most people are idiots, aren't they? Then a fair number who aren't just put the CD in, and it copies the tracks. It's not as if bit rate means much to the average Joe.

Do you honestly think that if you asked all iTunes users, the majority would have delved into the bitrate? Originally posted by Bardock42
**** you too.

I actually forgot you, but I bet you leave it anyway.

Also, I have no particular favourite tracks yet.

D00m
I agree vic, but only because I'm an ******* who thinks the majority of the human race are morons. (no sarcasm)

D00m
After listening to the album 8 times I can honestly say there is no filler. Can't wait to get my copy with the bonus tracks.

Alpha Centauri
There's not gonna be any filler anyway, it's Radiohead.

-AC

Bardock42
LOL

Yea, sounds like vic thinks he's the only one to have figured this out. Well, to be fair, he is the reason why I have 192 now.....still! **** him.

Alpha Centauri
He's the reason you live, you fool preparer.

-AC

D00m

-AC

touche

Bardock42
He's the reason you live, you fool preparer.

-AC A-are you saying he is....he is....my mother?

D00m
The artwork has finally been released:

http://cms.pitchforkmedia.com/images/image/39016.rainbows.jpg

Nellinator
Wow, the album art is pretty horrendous.

D00m
Wow, the album art is pretty horrendous.

LOL

Smasandian
Great album.

They surpraised me once again.

Alpha Centauri
If they keep surprising you, maybe you're continually underestimating them.

-AC

Bardock42

-AC They surpraised him, you idiot.

Can't you read?

Kram3r
Originally posted by Bardock42
They surpraised him, you idiot.

Can't you read?

**** you, don't call him an idiot, please?

Smasandian

-AC

No, that's not the case.

I was expecting something different and what I listen too wasnt what I though it was going to be.

They always surpraise me with different forms of music and I love how each album sounds completely different.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
What's all this 'surpraising'?

I'm digging the new joint. It's fresh and got a weird kind of flavour that I can't rightly described, but makes me think...'jangly hip-hop/RnB/something/something...'

Df02
Originally posted by Kram3r
**** you, don't call him an idiot, please?

pretty please with a cherry on top?

brett1012
I have this friend who wants to know how to change the bit rate in itunes, how would he go about that?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by brett1012
I have this friend who wants to know how to change the bit rate in itunes, how would he go about that?

This is what 'he' should do.

Go to the Edit tab. Click Preferences. (Or press Ctrl and ,)

Click the Advanced tab, then 'Importing'.

Then change where it says 'Setting'.

Try importing the same song at various bit rates, and see if any sound different or better to you; if not just use the default.

Nellinator
The differences only become really noticeable at higher volumes. Normally it is nearly impossible to tell the difference.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
'House of Cards' is my favorite. I like it so very much please yes OK.

Alpha Centauri
So, why do you speak like that?

Always wondered.

-AC

Refused
This is defintely my new favorite of theirs. Faust Arp and Bodysnatchers are the only songs i'm not really getting into yet but maybe it'll come later.

Nellinator
I'm just glad they didn't repeat that Kid A and Amnesiac garbage.

Alpha Centauri
Hahahaha.

Funny.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
So, why do you speak like that?

Always wondered.

-AC

Because I'm retarded and I like to stuff my penis in chickens.

Alpha Centauri
Sound reasoning.

-AC

Mywi
I love the album, tis amazing, its like they made the music for me.

Eon Blue
Frankly, I was disappointed.

Alpha Centauri
Idiot then.

-AC

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Eon Blue
Frankly, I was disappointed.

What in particular were you disappointed with? I absolutely love it.

Ax3l
I agree with most of you. The ones who said it was great, that is.

Bardock42
Idiot then.

-AC You are so mean sometimes.

Originally posted by Eon Blue
Frankly, I was disappointed. ****ing moron, I hope you get cancer and die to death.

Eon Blue
I was kidding, of course.

chillmeistergen
Bollocks.

Eon Blue
Idiot then.

-AC

Apparently you take things at such face value as not to be bothered with sarcasm. Things like these go right over your head. Not the brightest in the tool shed.

Idiot, as well as a pedo and a cheat.

johncarner
I assume they, like most people, just put the CD in and then it's on the computer. Then when they find out you can increase the quality, they either can't be bothered to change, or think it sounds alright as it is.

Eon Blue

-EB

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.